Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carabao Cup Draw 22/23 - QF Draw: Man Utd v CAFC (p48) - confirmed 10th Jan

Comments

• Options
    Can I be the first to ask, when did we last play a first team fixture on a Thursday?
  • Options
    Wasn’t the FA cup game at Blackburn a Thursday 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Can I be the first to ask, when did we last play a first team fixture on a Thursday?
    Played Middlesbrough in the FA Cup on a Thursday in 2006. Played a League game at Bradford on May 1st, 1997 - oddly, I wasn’t there  for that one. Can’t think why. 😉

Also various holiday fixtures.
  • Options
    Played Middlesbrough in the FA Cup on a Thursday in 2006. Played a League game at Bradford on May 1st, 1997 - oddly, I wasn’t there  for that one. Can’t think why. 😉

Think we played Luton away on a Thursday replay before we got Spurs in the cup 2011ish
  • Options
    edited November 2022

Think we played Luton away on a Thursday replay before we got Spurs in the cup 2011ish
    Good shout. Was live on ESPN or some such.
  • Options
    Charlton 3-2 Bristol City
    Thursday 26th December 2019

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/50846971
  • Options

I’d expect you to remember the occasional triumph 😀
  • Options
    Well a lot of people got what they wanted a top 6 premeirship side. Unfortunately that will be the end of the cup run. We are not going to beat one of the best sides in tge premeirship.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2022
    msomerton said:
    Well a lot of people got what they wanted a top 6 premeirship side. Unfortunately that will be the end of the cup run. We are not going to beat one of the best sides in tge premeirship.
    Yeah. A lot of people are going to be sorry. We could potentially have got to the next round if only we'd got Lincoln or Gillingham and had managed to beat them. Then we could have lost a few weeks later instead. 

We did well enough to get PL opposition.
  • Options
    Good draw and one we will have half a chance!
  • Options
    Really hope it's sensible pricing.
  • Options
    Brighton took almost 7k to Arsenal the other night, with adult tickets priced at 20 quid upper tier and 10 in the lower tier.

If the demand is there from them i wonder whether we'd give them some of the East stand?
  • Options
    Newcastle v Bournemouth
    Nice journey for the Bournemouth fans the midweek before christmas.
  • Options
    Pleased that Man City have drawn Liverpool ... we'll only need to face one of them.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Brighton took almost 7k to Arsenal the other night, with adult tickets priced at 20 quid upper tier and 10 in the lower tier.

If the demand is there from them i wonder whether we'd give them some of the East stand?
     NO. Price it sensibly and try and fill the ground with Charlton fans. We know we can make a noise that can impact the game. We did it with less fans against Ipswich at 2-0 down. Despite the fact they are in the PL and we are L1, they won’t have been playing competitive matches as a team and we will have. We will have that edge. Somebody on this thread earlier thought the fact that their players will have been resting and ours haven’t would be to their advantage. It won’t. More likely it will mean one or two if their players will actually hurt themselves on the night if the tempo and atmosphere is ramped up and they try and go with it.
  • Options
    I reckon if we pay each fan £10 per person to attend we may fill the ground with Charlton fans , may have to make it £20 because it’s Christmas .
    You know it makes sense Thomas , you can do this 
    let’s make it happen 
  • Options
    We gotta do this for London - play to the sound of the trumpets as big ron would say !!!😂
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The timing for this game really makes it interesting for us and gives us a real bit of a leveller. They will not have played a competitive fixture in a month and will be treating it as a final competitive friendly to get the players back in shape before the league.

This could of course go one of two ways. Either we catch them cold by being match sharp and then we make a real game of it. Or their fresh legs will carry them through.

We're at home to a current top six premier league team who play excellent football and because of a few circumstances we have a chance. Hopefully one of Leaburn and O'Connell may be back to add a bit of class to our front and back line.

A really interesting match up.
  • Options
    £20 adults and £5 kids (school holidays) and I think we get a decent crowd, anymore and I'm not so sure
  • Options
    I must admit last night I saw it as a shit tie, but was a bit deluded. They beat Arsenal away so they are a decent side. Thomas does have to reduce ticket prices though and if we get a few people turning up for their first game we might get some new fans if we give it a go..
  • Options
    The way the draw panned out hopes were up for a real big boy so felt a deflater but we have to get up for this and do what we can to help the team - a rousing atmosphere and play all the big men up top - bomb em with noise and balls !!!!
  • Options
    Only read a few comments, and some of you are batshit crazy. Surely we either want one of the Sky six (well one of the remaining three of the Sky six) at home and all the bells and whistles (and TV coverage) that goes with it, or my personal preference, Gillingham or a League One team at home? In other words a winnable game that could see us in the quarter finals for only the second time in sixty odd years.  

Instead we are playing a very decent Premier League side, who are (and I mean no disrespect to a club that I am actually quite fond of) about as glamourous as we were when we graced the top flight, and who should beat us at a canter. We are the team that struggled to get a lucky draw at Stevenage a few days ago, FFS...  

I have read talk of it being "winnable" - when did some of you start following the Addicks? Wednesday?  :D  
    I think we all understand that but upsets do happen 
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    I must admit last night I saw it as a shit tie, but was a bit deluded. They beat Arsenal away so they are a decent side. Thomas does have to reduce ticket prices though and if we get a few people turning up for their first game we might get some new fans if we give it a go..
    I think people are building Brighton up to what they might not be. Arsenal have other targets now they have had that great start to the league and have qualified for the next stage of the CL. As for Brighton in the PL, it could be just new manager bounce. 3 consecutive wins in the PL has given them 9 points, puts them on 21 and pushed them to 6th. Take away those 9 points and they would be sitting in a relegation spot. Their season hasn’t been that great. They can’t afford to lose that new manager bounce or put too many eggs in that Caribao cup basket.
    They were better than 6th I believe when Chelsea took Potter and then the new manager took a few games to start getting results, but they were very unlucky in that respect as they’d played really well in those games. 

Actually a really good comparison to where they are right now is us in our prime. They’re an excellent team with excellent players. Just because they don’t have the history of other clubs, doesn’t mean at the moment they’re not a top ten team. We’re being disrespectful to them to suggest they’re anything but a top half premier league team at the moment.

But as I’ve said, given that they won’t have played in a month, it will be a wonderful free hit at them which is no lose for our players. 👍
  • Options
    msomerton said:
    And Gillingham won’t win at Brentford.