Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carabao Cup Draw 22/23 - QF Draw: Man Utd v CAFC (p48) - confirmed 10th Jan

Comments

• Options
    DOUCHER said:
    Only read a few comments, and some of you are batshit crazy. Surely we either want one of the Sky six (well one of the remaining three of the Sky six) at home and all the bells and whistles (and TV coverage) that goes with it, or my personal preference, Gillingham or a League One team at home? In other words a winnable game that could see us in the quarter finals for only the second time in sixty odd years.  

Instead we are playing a very decent Premier League side, who are (and I mean no disrespect to a club that I am actually quite fond of) about as glamourous as we were when we graced the top flight, and who should beat us at a canter. We are the team that struggled to get a lucky draw at Stevenage a few days ago, FFS...  

I have read talk of it being "winnable" - when did some of you start following the Addicks? Wednesday?  :D  
    I think we all understand that but upsets do happen 
    Unfortunately we are usually on the receiving end!
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Jonniesta said:
    Only read a few comments, and some of you are batshit crazy. Surely we either want one of the Sky six (well one of the remaining three of the Sky six) at home and all the bells and whistles (and TV coverage) that goes with it, or my personal preference, Gillingham or a League One team at home? In other words a winnable game that could see us in the quarter finals for only the second time in sixty odd years.  

Instead we are playing a very decent Premier League side, who are (and I mean no disrespect to a club that I am actually quite fond of) about as glamourous as we were when we graced the top flight, and who should beat us at a canter. We are the team that struggled to get a lucky draw at Stevenage a few days ago, FFS...  

I have read talk of it being "winnable" - when did some of you start following the Addicks? Wednesday?  :D  
    4th round/quarter-finals... who gives a crap which round we're in, we're not going to win the thing? And TV coverage... why does that matter... it'snot going to affect the amount of money Sandgaard gives the club? This is a chance to have a great night down The Valley, the kind we haven't had in years. As such, home to a Premier League club, any Premier League club, is a very good draw. Hoping we give them a good run for their money and take it to penalties... 
    Not my idea of how cup competitions work, I don't have your inside line on Sandgaard, and I would want us to win in 90 minutes but but each to their own. Have a great night out, and let's hope we are both smiling at the end. 👍🏻   
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    DOUCHER said:

Exactly. 
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:

4th round/quarter-finals... who gives a crap which round we're in, we're not going to win the thing? And TV coverage... why does that matter... it'snot going to affect the amount of money Sandgaard gives the club? This is a chance to have a great night down The Valley, the kind we haven't had in years. As such, home to a Premier League club, any Premier League club, is a very good draw. Hoping we give them a good run for their money and take it to penalties... 
    Not my idea of how cup competitions work, I don't have your inside line on Sandgaard, and I would want us to win in 90 minutes but but each to their own. Have a great night out, and let's hope we are both smiling at the end. 👍🏻   
    Jonniesta said:

I'd love to beat them in 90 minutes... but I'm enjoying our shoot-out victories too, and for some reason I can only suspend realism as far as taking them to a draw rather than a win! 
    Shame about that inside line... it's very informative. It's effectively: 'look at what's happened, and guess'. My point is we should enjoy the night for what it is.
  • Options
    Jonniesta said:
    Jonniesta said:

Jonniesta said:

I'd love to beat them in 90 minutes... but I'm enjoying our shoot-out victories too, and for some reason I can only suspend realism as far as taking them to a draw rather than a win! 
    Shame about that inside line... it's very informative. It's effectively: 'look at what's happened, and guess'. My point is we should enjoy the night for what it is.
    That's why I can't be positive about playing a Premier League team in the last sixteen of a cup competition, and I have around a hundred years of evidence to go by, Jonnie.  :D  
  • Options
    Acab said:
    msomerton said:
    Well a lot of people got what they wanted a top 6 premeirship side. Unfortunately that will be the end of the cup run. We are not going to beat one of the best sides in tge premeirship.
    And Gillingham won’t win at Brentford.
    They didnt... they drew ;)
  • Options
    At least ‘Stand Up if you Hate Palace’ should get unanimous participation.
  • Options
    Crap draw. We’ll go out and it’s hardly a money spinner.,
  • Options
    It’s not worth winning.
    £100,000 for the winners, £50k for losing finalists.
    Let the reserves have a run around.

Let’s put all our effort into the FA Cup, £2 million for that sweet baby. 
    Should add spice to the Stockpot.

Or promotion.

Or any/all or, knowing Charlton, none of the above.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    My take on the game.
    Away end sold out no matter what Thomas charges Brighton.
    Easy journey for Brighton fans.

Now looking at a Charlton view Thomas.

Price this correct you could make yourself a tidy little sum. That was unexpected.

Putting Charlton in shop window just before Christmas could be interesting once again.

Do it right Thomas you could even sell the club.
  • Options
    Brighton took almost 7k to Arsenal the other night, with adult tickets priced at 20 quid upper tier and 10 in the lower tier.

If the demand is there from them i wonder whether we'd give them some of the East stand?
     NO. Price it sensibly and try and fill the ground with Charlton fans. We know we can make a noise that can impact the game. We did it with less fans against Ipswich at 2-0 down. Despite the fact they are in the PL and we are L1, they won’t have been playing competitive matches as a team and we will have. We will have that edge. Somebody on this thread earlier thought the fact that their players will have been resting and ours haven’t would be to their advantage. It won’t. More likely it will mean one or two if their players will actually hurt themselves on the night if the tempo and atmosphere is ramped up and they try and go with it.
    Regardless of how many fans you think we have there is no way we'll fill the Valley. We could give 7-8k tickets away free and we probably still wouldn't fill it, hence why i think if Brighton asked for more we wouldn't say no.
  • Options
    Am I right in saying this won’t be on Charlton Live?
  • Options
    Think it shows the disconnect between our current standing and fan's expectations that we are disappointed with this tie. 
  • Options
    From the snippets I’ve seen of Brighton this season they look pretty good and have some tasty players.
    We should be positive and give it a bit of a go.
    Dunk verses Innes at corners ought to be a good watch.
  • Options
    Am I right in saying this won’t be on Charlton Live?
    If it's like previous rounds it'll be audio only - broadcast restrictions for the League and FA Cups mean that we can't offer up our own streaming coverage.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    DOUCHER said:

I think that we've learnt that history means nothing to current results.

We have had potential upsets against us in recent times but have come through unscathed. Two examples have been in the last two weeks alone. Therefore we are not 'usually' on the receiving end.

Whilst playing Brighton in current times is akin to Man Utd or West Ham, it is winnable to a percentage imo of 5%. The timing, as others have said, may or may not work in our favour, and could push it close to 50%. Remember that you don't need to win the actual match to go through to the next round. 

The fans can make it special by taking the game as an exciting one-off occurrence, turn up in numbers, make the atmosphere, and help get near that 50% mark. I agree wholeheartedly with @oohaahmortimer regarding the negativity but this is one match where you can forget the depressing reality and make it fun again.

• Options
    Brighton took almost 7k to Arsenal the other night, with adult tickets priced at 20 quid upper tier and 10 in the lower tier.

If the demand is there from them i wonder whether we'd give them some of the East stand?
     NO. Price it sensibly and try and fill the ground with Charlton fans. We know we can make a noise that can impact the game. We did it with less fans against Ipswich at 2-0 down. Despite the fact they are in the PL and we are L1, they won’t have been playing competitive matches as a team and we will have. We will have that edge. Somebody on this thread earlier thought the fact that their players will have been resting and ours haven’t would be to their advantage. It won’t. More likely it will mean one or two if their players will actually hurt themselves on the night if the tempo and atmosphere is ramped up and they try and go with it.
    Regardless of how many fans you think we have there is no way we'll fill the Valley. We could give 7-8k tickets away free and we probably still wouldn't fill it, hence why i think if Brighton asked for more we wouldn't say no.
    Academic anyway as you cannot give away tickets for cup games - you have to pay the opposition and into the pool for every comp over a low minimum number. This and the lack of STs is why announced cup crowds are much more accurate than league ones.

it’s a police decision re away fans if Charlton were open to it. It wouldn’t bother me, but the receipts aren’t massive. From memory you can only put 1,200-1,500 extra in there without blocking the facilities and there is a significant stewarding cost, so you’re probably not looking at more than £20k in net revenue of which each club gets 45%. It’s not big money.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    mendonca said:
    Think it shows the disconnect between our current standing and fan's expectations that we are disappointed with this tie. 
    Not as disappointed as Brightons fans, I reckon
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    redman said:
    Dear me. I think this thread proves that Charlton Life attracts the most miserable and dull sections of our support. We get an excellent draw in my view, at home against a decent Prem side, and 90% of the people moan. No wonder so many Charlton fans, particularly younger ones don't visit here. 
    My take was realistic. I am sure there is a happy clappy rose tinted site for fifteen year old Addicks to cream themselves over a tie against a club that has spent less than ten years in the top flight. Good luck to them. 

I want us to have a genuine high profile tie or to progress. Brighton isn't the former and their current standing (and the post World Cup timing) gives us little chance of the latter.   
  • Options
    Brighton fans are probably chuffed with the game, as apart from being at home it's the best they could've hoped for from an away fixture distance wise
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    mendonca said:
    You could be more wrong, but only just:

https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/carabao-cup-fourth-round-who-do-you-want.397703/
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    mendonca said:

https://www.northstandchat.com/threads/carabao-cup-fourth-round-who-do-you-want.397703/
    A lot more realism there. They want a lower division side so they can progress.    
  • Options
    redman said:
    Dear me. I think this thread proves that Charlton Life attracts the most miserable and dull sections of our support. We get an excellent draw in my view, at home against a decent Prem side, and 90% of the people moan. No wonder so many Charlton fans, particularly younger ones don't visit here. 
    My take was realistic. I am sure there is a happy clappy rose tinted site for fifteen year old Addicks to cream themselves over a tie against a club that has spent less than ten years in the top flight. Good luck to them. 

I want us to have a genuine high profile tie or to progress. Brighton isn't the former and their current standing (and the post World Cup timing) gives us little chance of the latter.   
    How are you realistic? We are a mid table League 1 who have hardly ever been in the last 16 of the League Cup. Brighton are a decent Prem team. Agreed one of the big 3 left might have better for profile but this is decent draw. Your comments about 15 year olds creaming themselves makes you sound like a sad old man. 
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Was hoping for Tuesday as in London for the match the weekend before. Weds getting a bit too close to Christmas and definitely can't stay till Thu   :/
  • Options
    IdleHans said:
    mendonca said:

Second favourite tie, only to Gillingham. Clearly a combination of progression chances and easy travel. Makes sense I suppose. Perspectives are different according to your status.