Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Carabao Cup Draw 22/23 - QF Draw: Man Utd v CAFC (p48) - confirmed 10th Jan

Comments

• Options
    edited November 2022
    redbuttle said:
    I must admit last night I saw it as a shit tie, but was a bit deluded. They beat Arsenal away so they are a decent side. Thomas does have to reduce ticket prices though and if we get a few people turning up for their first game we might get some new fans if we give it a go..
    I think people are building Brighton up to what they might not be. Arsenal have other targets now they have had that great start to the league and have qualified for the next stage of the CL. As for Brighton in the PL, it could be just new manager bounce. 3 consecutive wins in the PL has given them 9 points, puts them on 21 and pushed them to 6th. Take away those 9 points and they would be sitting in a relegation spot. Their season hasn’t been that great. They can’t afford to lose that new manager bounce or put too many eggs in that Caribao cup basket.
    And if you took away all their points they'd be bottom.

Beaten Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal (cup) this season and drew with Liverpool and a rampant Newcastle. Currently 6th in the table and above Chelsea and Liverpool. But yes their season hasn't been great.........
    Those 9 points are from a new manager bounce. Those good starts tend to unravel with a vengeance so if you just look at what happened before those 9 points they don’t look so great as some posters are making them out to be
  • Options
    With no disrespect to Brighton intended, I wish Arsenal had beaten them. We might be the pride of London, and have to be pleased with a home draw, but we'll be rank outsiders, Brighton taking it seriously believing they're in with a realistic chance of making the final and winning it 

Still, it's a one off and I don't doubt we'll acquit ourselves well with decent home support. You just never know. We might catch them on an off day, although we must hope to goodness that they don't catch us on one of ours!
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Croydon said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Only read a few comments, and some of you are batshit crazy. Surely we either want one of the Sky six (well one of the remaining three of the Sky six) at home and all the bells and whistles (and TV coverage) that goes with it, or my personal preference, Gillingham or a League One team at home? In other words a winnable game that could see us in the quarter finals for only the second time in sixty odd years.  

Instead we are playing a very decent Premier League side, who are (and I mean no disrespect to a club that I am actually quite fond of) about as glamourous as we were when we graced the top flight, and who should beat us at a canter. We are the team that struggled to get a lucky draw at Stevenage a few days ago, FFS...  

I have read talk of it being "winnable" - when did some of you start following the Addicks? Wednesday?  :D  
    I think we all understand that but upsets do happen 
    Unfortunately we are usually on the receiving end!

We have had potential upsets against us in recent times but have come through unscathed. Two examples have been in the last two weeks alone. Therefore we are not 'usually' on the receiving end.

Avoiding an upset is not the same as causing one. In my lifetime we have been on the receiving end of an upset far more times than we have caused one.

In fairly recent history we've been knocked out by lower league opposition in cups - Sheff U, Wycombe, Hartlepool, Northwich Victoria. I've also watched us need a replay to beat Dagenham & Redbridge and get knocked out of a cup by Stoke over 2 legs when they were a division below. Have we caused an upset in the last 2 decades other than Chelsea away on penalties? (Hoping Callum or Airman can help with that one)
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    redman said:
    redman said:
    Dear me. I think this thread proves that Charlton Life attracts the most miserable and dull sections of our support. We get an excellent draw in my view, at home against a decent Prem side, and 90% of the people moan. No wonder so many Charlton fans, particularly younger ones don't visit here. 
    My take was realistic. I am sure there is a happy clappy rose tinted site for fifteen year old Addicks to cream themselves over a tie against a club that has spent less than ten years in the top flight. Good luck to them. 

I want us to have a genuine high profile tie or to progress. Brighton isn't the former and their current standing (and the post World Cup timing) gives us little chance of the latter.   
    How are you realistic? We are a mid table League 1 who have hardly ever been in the last 16 of the League Cup. Brighton are a decent Prem team. Agreed one of the big 3 left might have better for profile but this is decent draw. Your comments about 15 year olds creaming themselves makes you sound like a sad old man. 
    You already implied that in your first post anyway, so I might as well live up (or down) to it...  :D  

Let's look at what I wrote. "Surely we either want one of the Sky six (well one of the remaining three of the Sky six) at home and all the bells and whistles (and TV coverage) that goes with it...". Well, you agree with that, so moving along.

"...my personal preference, Gillingham or a League One team at home? In other words a winnable game that could see us in the quarter finals for only the second time in sixty odd years."
    As you say, we have hardly ever been in the last sixteen, so wouldn't you prefer to go at least one better? And make the last eight for once? I don't think it is miserable and dull to want that? 

"Instead we are playing a very decent Premier League side, who are (and I mean no disrespect to a club that I am actually quite fond of) about as glamourous as we were when we graced the top flight, and who should beat us at a canter." I said the same as you - decent Premier League team, so we agree on that too. As an old man who has been watching football for nearly fifty years, I stand by my opinion that they are not glamourous - they have spent nearly half that time in the bottom two divisions. I think we all tend to judge teams by where they were in our formative years, and other than that great cup run forty years ago, the Seagulls are not a club you associate with the big-time. They are, however, now a team to be reckoned with looking at them from our lowly position, and they will almost certainly play their strongest side in their first competetive post-World Cup match. I give us a 5% - 10% chance of getting a result.    

"We are the team that struggled to get a lucky draw at Stevenage a few days ago, FFS..." - Well, that is just a fact, isn't it?     
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Covered end and Callum how can you be surprised at constant negativity when we’re going through the worst footballing period in our history 
    we’ve never had 4 consecutive league seasons on the spin in the third tier since we first got promoted out of it in 1929 we’re odds on for that to happen 
    it’s our ninth season in 14 in the third tier, in the previous 67 seasons we had 4 seasons in the third tier 
    yes we’ve had a bit of a league cup run , I for one would have wanted weak opposition at The Valley to go further 
    of course punters aren’t gonna be pulling themselves everywhere about stuff and a moan for the sake of it can become boring but wanking ourselves off when ninth in the third tier is never gonna happen , especially when you look at how our nearest and dearest have performed in recent years 
    if we were peppering the top two automatics with light clearly visible at the end of the tunnel then yes I’d understand the frustration of your good selves with the moan ups but realistically im not convinced we’ll be out of here this season or next .
    We’ll be buzzing if we have orient in this division next year at least then we’ll have a local match to look forward to , woohoo 
    Agree with everything you say and I do love a good oohaah rant.

But what on earth does our depressing recent League history have to do with getting a cup draw against an established Premier League teams? Perhaps it’s easier for some to keep emotions related to separate competitions apart.

The reality is that we’ve spent most of our history outside the top flight and so any year we draw the 6th best team in the country at home should be considered a result in my book. 

And with the competition set up the way it has been (no replays, no extra time), there’s never been a better chance of sneaking an upset too.

As someone said earlier, we’re playing Bristol Rovers the weekend before and Peterborough the weekend after. If you want to have a moan up about being in this poxy league four years in a row, be my guest and focus on those fixtures.
  • Options
    Can’t believe some people are being meh about the draw. I was fearing Lincoln, Gills or MKD away or even worse Blackburn or Burnley. We have drawn a PL team at home, a good PL team, localish, will sell out the JS and I’m sure the home support will turn out too. Really don’t know what some people wanted?
     I would've been more than happy with Lincoln, Mk Dons or Gills. Great chance to go through. The championship sides were the worst possible imo
  • Options
    Can’t believe some people are being meh about the draw. I was fearing Lincoln, Gills or MKD away or even worse Blackburn or Burnley. We have drawn a PL team at home, a good PL team, localish, will sell out the JS and I’m sure the home support will turn out too. Really don’t know what some people wanted?
     I would've been more than happy with Lincoln, Mk Dons or Gills. Great chance to go through. The championship sides were the worst possible imo
    go through to what though? An encounter with a PL team, which is what we have got anyway. 
  • Options
    go through to what though? An encounter with a PL team, which is what we have got anyway. 
    We clearly have two camps here, and we ain't going to  change each others minds. I like the idea of getting as far as possible before encountering a team that's likely to beat us. Others just want a Premier League team at any stage.

We all hope we win, so let's hang on to that.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    redman said:
    redman said:
    Dear me. I think this thread proves that Charlton Life attracts the most miserable and dull sections of our support. We get an excellent draw in my view, at home against a decent Prem side, and 90% of the people moan. No wonder so many Charlton fans, particularly younger ones don't visit here. 
    My take was realistic. I am sure there is a happy clappy rose tinted site for fifteen year old Addicks to cream themselves over a tie against a club that has spent less than ten years in the top flight. Good luck to them. 

I want us to have a genuine high profile tie or to progress. Brighton isn't the former and their current standing (and the post World Cup timing) gives us little chance of the latter.   
    How are you realistic? We are a mid table League 1 who have hardly ever been in the last 16 of the League Cup. Brighton are a decent Prem team. Agreed one of the big 3 left might have better for profile but this is decent draw. Your comments about 15 year olds creaming themselves makes you sound like a sad old man. 
    You already implied that in your first post anyway, so I might as well live up (or down) to it...  :D  

Let's look at what I wrote. "Surely we either want one of the Sky six (well one of the remaining three of the Sky six) at home and all the bells and whistles (and TV coverage) that goes with it...". Well, you agree with that, so moving along.

"...my personal preference, Gillingham or a League One team at home? In other words a winnable game that could see us in the quarter finals for only the second time in sixty odd years."
    As you say, we have hardly ever been in the last sixteen, so wouldn't you prefer to go at least one better? And make the last eight for once? I don't think it is miserable and dull to want that? 

"Instead we are playing a very decent Premier League side, who are (and I mean no disrespect to a club that I am actually quite fond of) about as glamourous as we were when we graced the top flight, and who should beat us at a canter." I said the same as you - decent Premier League team, so we agree on that too. As an old man who has been watching football for nearly fifty years, I stand by my opinion that they are not glamourous - they have spent nearly half that time in the bottom two divisions. I think we all tend to judge teams by where they were in our formative years, and other than that great cup run forty years ago, the Seagulls are not a club you associate with the big-time. They are, however, now a team to be reckoned with looking at them from our lowly position, and they will almost certainly play their strongest side in their first competetive post-World Cup match. I give us a 5% - 10% chance of getting a result.    

"We are the team that struggled to get a lucky draw at Stevenage a few days ago, FFS..." - Well, that is just a fact, isn't it?     
    I replied like I did based on that particular comment you made. I wasn't particularly referring to pevious posts and certainly couldn't remembered what each individual had posted. You must have been feeling very narsasistic (spelt wrong I suspect) to feel I was directing my comment at you in particular. In fact I even said "90% of people"! Let's leave it there shall we 
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    I must admit last night I saw it as a shit tie, but was a bit deluded. They beat Arsenal away so they are a decent side. Thomas does have to reduce ticket prices though and if we get a few people turning up for their first game we might get some new fans if we give it a go..
    I think people are building Brighton up to what they might not be. Arsenal have other targets now they have had that great start to the league and have qualified for the next stage of the CL. As for Brighton in the PL, it could be just new manager bounce. 3 consecutive wins in the PL has given them 9 points, puts them on 21 and pushed them to 6th. Take away those 9 points and they would be sitting in a relegation spot. Their season hasn’t been that great. They can’t afford to lose that new manager bounce or put too many eggs in that Caribao cup basket.
    And if you took away all their points they'd be bottom.

Beaten Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal (cup) this season and drew with Liverpool and a rampant Newcastle. Currently 6th in the table and above Chelsea and Liverpool. But yes their season hasn't been great.........
    Those 9 points are from a new manager bounce. Those good starts tend to unravel with a vengeance so if you just look at what happened before those 9 points they don’t look so great as some posters are making them out to be
    Why do you keep talking about a new manager bounce? They've been doing well all season.

Their new manager came in because they were doing so well Potter was poached by Chelsea. It's not like they were doing shit and the results have improved since the new guy came in.
  • Options
    redman said:
    redman said:
    redman said:

I replied like I did based on that particular comment you made. I wasn't particularly referring to pevious posts and certainly couldn't remembered what each individual had posted. You must have been feeling very narsasistic (spelt wrong I suspect) to feel I was directing my comment at you in particular. In fact I even said "90% of people"! Let's leave it there shall we 
    Apologies - I assumed that once I piped up in response to your post, you had gone back and read my whittering.  
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    Excellent draw for Charlton despite Brighton playing their first team: Brighton to declare in 70 minutes when 5-0 up and 5 first year scholars come on. Charlton send on CBT, Aneke, Kanu, JFC and Deji. We get it back to 4-5 before Chuks with the last shot of the match in added time wins the cross bar challenge and Charlton end up the unlucky losers. 
    Kanu and Deji impress Brighton who pay 2 million up front and we get Crofts in part exchange as player-coach.

Nine thousand crowd under the lights. The Seagulls have 85% possession for the first 70 minutes and Cafc have 95% possession for the last 20 minutes and added time. Brighton bring their own deckchairs and Cigars.

Charlton concentrate on the FA Cup but still have the treble to go for.

• Options
    No matter who we are facing,it’s just another game off football,you can only beat what is in front of you…I’m one of the seemingly few who think this could be a good game,our lot won’t be queuing up for their players shirts before the game & shouldn’t be overwhelmed by the occasion either,go on that pitch with a will to win & who knows,then we might get thrashed by city in the next round…👍
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    DOUCHER said:
    Only read a few comments, and some of you are batshit crazy. Surely we either want one of the Sky six (well one of the remaining three of the Sky six) at home and all the bells and whistles (and TV coverage) that goes with it, or my personal preference, Gillingham or a League One team at home? In other words a winnable game that could see us in the quarter finals for only the second time in sixty odd years.  

Instead we are playing a very decent Premier League side, who are (and I mean no disrespect to a club that I am actually quite fond of) about as glamourous as we were when we graced the top flight, and who should beat us at a canter. We are the team that struggled to get a lucky draw at Stevenage a few days ago, FFS...  

I have read talk of it being "winnable" - when did some of you start following the Addicks? Wednesday?  :D  
    I think we all understand that but upsets do happen 
    Unfortunately we are usually on the receiving end!
    We’re also usually out by now !!
  • Options
    In our Prem pomp were third tier teams tugging themselves off when they drew us in the cup , I very much doubt it 
    as algarve points out we weren’t and Brighton aren’t the most exciting team to be playing 
    they’d be placed in the bottom third of prem teams you’d want to play(I know they’re not all through ) , no matter what their current position is I’m sure most would have preferred to play the team currently 8th in the Prem .

to me it’s a tough game and I have loads of respect for Brighton fans , I remember a few behind the West Stand during the car park protests of Roland .
    I even went to a Brighton v Soton in the fa cup in the early eighties with a school mate .

first choice was an easy game 
    second choice a prem game against a team we may beat 
    third choice a big big club 

I think we got second choice so happy with that , it’s all about our progression not tugging one off cos we’ve just seen Ronaldo on the bench 
    although the excitement my kids had seeing akinfemwa on the bench , maybe Ronaldo would be too much for them to take .

I distinctly remember clubs like Yeovil and Brentford getting a couple blocks of the East Stand because their fans wanted more than the 3000 tickets that were available from the Jimmy Seed.

So yes I think they probably did.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    We were that unglamorous prem team once upon a time and we got turfed out in upsets as I was reminded of above - we can be the upsetter - I agree we really wanted a big boy or an easy ride - we have neither but actually there is a chance with Brighton - pretty much zero with a real big boy as they just don’t lose to teams like us - it happens to the lower lights in the prem, regardless of current form 
  • Options
    And we just knocked them out the papa !!!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Blimey I thought I was miserable when it comes  to Charlton but reading some of the comments above I am mister happy.

We have had some great games against Brighton under the lights at The Valley so what’s not to like.

Home draw against a prem top six side and posters are complaining we are at home and not away and hoping Brighton play their kids.

• Options
    From Club web...

Ben Garner is anticipating a great Valley occasion when Charlton host Brighton & Hove Albion in the Carabao Cup round of 32.
  • Options
    edited November 2022
    In our Prem pomp were third tier teams tugging themselves off when they drew us in the cup , I very much doubt it 

This is as good as it gets now.
  • Options
    as algarve points out we weren’t and Brighton aren’t the most exciting team to be playing 
    they’d be placed in the bottom third of prem teams you’d want to play(I know they’re not all through ) , no matter what their current position is I’m sure most would have preferred to play the team currently 8th in the Prem .

to me it’s a tough game and I have loads of respect for Brighton fans , I remember a few behind the West Stand during the car park protests of Roland .
    I even went to a Brighton v Soton in the fa cup in the early eighties with a school mate .

first choice was an easy game 
    second choice a prem game against a team we may beat 
    third choice a big big club 

I think we got second choice so happy with that , it’s all about our progression not tugging one off cos we’ve just seen Ronaldo on the bench 
    although the excitement my kids had seeing akinfemwa on the bench , maybe Ronaldo would be too much for them to take .

I distinctly remember clubs like Yeovil and Brentford getting a couple blocks of the East Stand because their fans wanted more than the 3000 tickets that were available from the Jimmy Seed.

So yes I think they probably did.
    they were clubs whose recent history at that time was non league and lower league football 
    no second tier for yeovil and minimal for brentford so understandably it might mean a lot to a club of zero tradition in the higher echelons of the football ladder and they were games in the more glamorous FA Cup

we are not a minge of a club with no recent history of non league and 4th tier football

so Brighton is not a big deal to us we've played them in recent times 

hence there wont be a big gate in south london because it doesn't mean much
    now if it was liverpool , man utd or man city the ground would sell out 

• Options
    Anyone any idea when this will be played?
  • Options
    Anyone any idea when this will be played?
    W/C 19th Dec…
  • Options
    Blimey I thought I was miserable when it comes  to Charlton but reading some of the comments above I am mister happy.

We have had some great games against Brighton under the lights at The Valley so what’s not to like.

Home draw against a prem top six side and posters are complaining we are at home and not away and hoping Brighton play their kids.

It is because they are a very good side but still Brighton.  There have been times in recent history we have gone into games against them as the favourites.  

I don't think many, I have seen a couple though, that don't accept Brighton are, currently, one of the best teams in the country.  

I remember the draws and defeats against Liverpool and Manchester United in the mid 90s much more clearly, and fondly even, than the draws and even wins against Wednesday, Blackburn (despite them being champions) and the like.

It's a good draw, in the sense it's a very good team, who will bring a good away following but it's not the sort of draw that's going to build massive excitement and be at the front of everyone's mind for the next 5 or 6 weeks like Manchester club or Liverpool would have done.  Even if you argue Brighton are as good or better than two of them.
  • Options
    Great draw....happy with that, of all things as i have to work over Christmas and the new year with one day off boxing day, we have booked a few days away, ironically in Brighton. So will have to watch the game down there somehow. Shame it wasnt away....
  • Options
    Problem is our genuine support is minimal and I don’t think this is attractive enough for our floaters 
    I’d be surprised if over 12k of home fans there