Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pope dosh?

Comments

• Options
    Scoham said:
    mart77 said:
    I thought the sell on was 30%. Wasn’t that suggested at a Q&A a number of years ago? 
    Personally think Pope will go for £25m+ and tbh in the market I think he’s worth it. Better than Pickford imo and think he’ll end up at a decent club.
    Always try to be pessimistic with these estimates so I’ll say £20m fee with a 20% clause on any profit (and he was sold for the upper end of our guesses: £2m).

That puts us at £3.6m received, on the pessimistic end.

Every £5m in fee received by Burnley banks another £1m for CAFC.
    Cawley’s article from 2020 said over 20%, so seems reasonable to think it’s 25% or 30%.
    Not saying you’re wrong but why say over 20% ? Why not say what it is ?
    Potentially because he doesn’t know precisely - why should he when most fees are ‘undisclosed’ but was told enough to ball park. 

But to the general point I always infer such wording to point close ti the number quoted otherwise you would say up ti 25% for example. If you make the Top 10 it usually means you were tenth. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    mart77 said:
    I thought the sell on was 30%. Wasn’t that suggested at a Q&A a number of years ago? 
    Personally think Pope will go for £25m+ and tbh in the market I think he’s worth it. Better than Pickford imo and think he’ll end up at a decent club.
    Always try to be pessimistic with these estimates so I’ll say £20m fee with a 20% clause on any profit (and he was sold for the upper end of our guesses: £2m).

That puts us at £3.6m received, on the pessimistic end.

Every £5m in fee received by Burnley banks another £1m for CAFC.
    Cawley’s article from 2020 said over 20%, so seems reasonable to think it’s 25% or 30%.
    Not saying you’re wrong but why say over 20% ? Why not say what it is ?
    I am hoping to find the exact details re percentages in the next few days…...though can’t promise as for obvious reasons there’s folk that may well want it kept schtum, in which case I won’t be able to pass it on or most likely won’t get told at all.
    Just to sum up,……so far we are hearing at least 20% and possibly as much as 30%……so I’d say the safe money is on somewhere in between.

• Options
    So far I’ve heard mentions of Fulham, West Ham, Leeds, Newcastle, Southampton, Tottenham? Hopefully a bidding war…
  • Options
    We can rule out Spurs signing him (if they were ever actually in for him). They're apparently about to sign Fraser Forster as backup to Lloris.
    Could see him being the Stuart Taylor, Scott Carson, Rob Green 3rd choice keeper who is English so counts as homegrown and is happy winding down a bit having to turn up to training at a very posh training ground and picking up a good wage etc.

Rather than 2nd choice.

Still don't think Spurs will sign Pope though.
  • Options
    Is there any way that we can start a fake bidding war? If he sells for 250 million then we can buy back The Valley. ,😁
    Roland would move the goalposts and make it 251 million!!, mwah ha ha haaaaaaa!!!!! 🙄
  • Options
    Arrizabalaga £71m
    Allison £65m
    Courtois £35m
    Ederson £34m
    Pope   Should be at least  £30m
    He’s not worth £4m less then Ederson, and that’s even with inflation 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    Arrizabalaga £71m
    Allison £65m
    Courtois £35m
    Ederson £34m
    That is what Ederson cost not what he is worth. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    How many years left on his Burnley contract, always affects the price you get.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    How many years left on his Burnley contract, always affects the price you get.
    Only one, but Burnley can activate a further year.

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/nick-pope-burnley-transfer-fulham-23513498
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Rothko said:
    Arrizabalaga £71m
    Allison £65m
    Courtois £35m
    Ederson £34m
    Arrizabalaga isn’t worth £37m more than Ederson. These days, transfer fees have little relation to a players individual quality. 

I don’t see any top spenders who are desperate for a keeper, so I don’t think he’ll go for £30m. 

Kieran Trippier is a top fullback and he only went for £12m. That was in the inflated January market, to the worlds richest club. 
  • Options
    I'd draw a list of English goalies, age and cost.
  • Options
    Is there any way that we can start a fake bidding war? If he sells for 250 million then we can buy back The Valley. ,😁
    I'll start with £10.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Sage said:
    For arguments and theories sake, say he goes for £22,500,000 and signs a 3 year contract with the option of a further year.

We sold him for £1,100,000.

Some believe it’s closer to 30% but over 20% so let’s meet in the middle and say 25%.

Profit would be £21,400,000 meaning 25% is £5,350,000. That would be payable over the length of contract at his new club. It’s how transfers work.

That would mean we could potentially see around £1,800,000 each year for the next 3 years or around £1,350,000 a year for the next 4 years if they took the option of a further year.

Think that’s probably more realistic than some of the other amounts we have seen.

Anything above that is great news. 
    Surely only if the fee paid to Burnley is also spread across the contract? I would not be waiting up to four years for a couple of million out of Burnley. Carry on the way they are and they'll be penniless two years before we get to that point.

Whereas if the fee to Burnley is upfront, I would expect the sell on payment to also be paid upfront.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    For arguments and theories sake, say he goes for £22,500,000 and signs a 3 year contract with the option of a further year.

Some believe it’s closer to 30% but over 20% so let’s meet in the middle and say 25%.

Profit would be £21,400,000 meaning 25% is £5,350,000. That would be payable over the length of contract at his new club. It’s how transfers work.

That would mean we could potentially see around £1,800,000 each year for the next 3 years or around £1,350,000 a year for the next 4 years if they took the option of a further year.

Think that’s probably more realistic than some of the other amounts we have seen.

Surely only if the fee paid to Burnley is also spread across the contract? I would not be waiting up to four years for a couple of million out of Burnley. Carry on the way they are and they'll be penniless two years before we get to that point.

Whereas if the fee to Burnley is upfront, I would expect the sell on payment to also be paid upfront.

Without seeing the contract it's impossible to tell what the clause specifies in regards to this, but if I had to guess I'd say it would almost certainly involve an upfront payment to us but it was negotiated during Roland's reign so there's always the chance it results in the least favourable monetary outcome to us.

• Options
    Sage said:

Is that how it works with sell on fees? What happens if he moves to Spurs on a four year contract but departs after two years to Leicester on a three year contract? I thought if he moved to Spurs now they pay 50% of the transfer fee up front with the rest payable over the contract but the remainder paid up if he moves on before four years is up. The 50% upfront enables Burnley to pay us the 5m plus we are due. If it is how you say then there is always the chance TS could renegotiate the sell on so we receive a smaller sum but get it all upfront as it were.
  • Options
    Sage said:

I think you are conflating how a fee is amortised for accounting purposes and how a few is paid.  I would expect any transfer fee to be paid in a shorter time than 3,4 or 5 years being common contract lengths in the PL.
  • Options
    Might be valued at 40 mill, but who's going to pay that for a keeper? Maybe Newcastle, but the clubs that would already have very good keepers.. I think 15-20 mill will be the region. 

He is a good age for a keeper, but the bigger fees that have been paid for keepers, they have been a good few years younger! So it is a long term investment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Keepers play well into their 30's so maybe £25m isn't that unrealistic.

I just hope we get as much as possible and it helps fund a promotion push
  • Options
    Could be a lower fee than expected. 1yr left on his deal, plus they’ll want most if not all cash up front to chip away at that loan.

• Options
    CafcSCP said:
    Could be a lower fee than expected. 1yr left on his deal, plus they’ll want most if not all cash up front to chip away at that loan.

Agreed.. think everyone getting a bit carried away! 
  • Options
    Sage said:

This depends on the terms of Burnley's transfer. As we're led to believe they're desperate for cash they might decide to (for example) accept a 20m upfront payment instead of 25-30m spread over 4 years.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Whatever, if anything comes our way, through this , I bet Thomas and his legal people will learn a lot from it, in terms of writing future transfers with add ons correctly, I don’t have faith that the Duch will have done it for our benefit, yes he paid the bills, but he didn’t give a fig.

I guess one way of looking at it, is that it could offset the cost of our annual rent of the valley and training ground for a few years.

Im just a bit sceptical that this is going to be as good as we’d hope or like.
  • Options
    You all may well be right and we receive the sell on as a larger sum at first. Usually fees are spread through the duration of contract so you would be unlikely to find the selling club paying out a large fee to another club if they’re only getting a smaller fee each year.

Burnley may say they’ll want £20mil now and add ons make it up to £25-£30mil over a 3 year period depending on the club he signs for.

We’d then receive the larger fee plus any little amounts that may incur in future.

Transfers are so flexible that we simply don’t know but I would be surprised if we got a larger fee up front either way.
  • Options
    Even if we don’t then it works both ways - we could buy players and pay for them over a few seasons knowing the Pope money is (or at least should be) coming in.
  • Options
    Any money that might come in has got to be an unexpected bonus because it wasn’t certain that Burnley would be relegated.
    How much (if Pope is sold) and how it is used is the question for Charlton.
    I would be satisfied if any money mitigated losses.

• Options
    Burnley will be looking at ways to get out of paying us our share.