Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pope dosh?

Comments

• Options
    The reportedly high sell on percentage could be a problem for Charlton. It's a big incentive for Burnley to structure a deal that minimizes Pope's headline transfer figure (thowing a second low value Burnley player into the deal at an inflated price would be one way of doing it). As they're clearly desperate for every penny I think there's a good chance they do so.
  • Options
    The reportedly high sell on percentage could be a problem for Charlton. It's a big incentive for Burnley to structure a deal that minimizes Pope's headline transfer figure (thowing a second low value Burnley player into the deal at an inflated price would be one way of doing it). As they're clearly desperate for every penny I think there's a good chance they do so.
    There is and they will do everything they can to maximise their income. However, you also have to find a club willing to take both Pope and the other player. They don’t have many saleable assets with Tarkowski and Mee out of contract, Pope is the only one really. Cornet maybe but I think he has a relegation release clause. 
  • Options
    Some years ago, I’m pretty sure a rule was introduced whereby transfer fee instalments had to be paid within 12 months of the deal, the rationale being to try and protect buying clubs from spending beyond their means and to try and ensure that selling clubs actually received the money due to them. That only applied to the basic agreed fee and not to add-ons relating to appearances, international honours etc.

I think it was introduced at a time when several clubs went into administration and so made a lot of sense. I have no idea whether that provision has been modified but I suspect it has, given the financial madness that now prevails in the game.
  • Options
    A reminder that we've received money from sell on agreements for Grant and Fosu, both originally sold under Roland. Indeed Thomas benefited both times
  • Options
    Burnley will be looking at ways to get out of paying us our share. 
    Surely they can’t look any further than the terms initially drawn up…….so not quite sure what you mean Mutts, any suggestions?
    I’m sure they’d love to find a way to delay payments, especially given their current situation, something we need to watch out for….. I agree.
    I hope we didn’t agree to stage payments as Burnley look like they could well be on a big downward spiral.
  • Options
    If Burnley are due to front up 65 million now, why would it suit them to have money coming in in dribs and drabs?
  • Options
    This sell on fee was all part of the strategy. Who needs additional investors. We've made it.
  • Options
    Surely they can’t look any further than the terms initially drawn up…….so not quite sure what you mean Mutts, any suggestions?
    I’m sure they’d love to find a way to delay payments, especially given their current situation, something we need to watch out for….. I agree.
    I hope we didn’t agree to stage payments as Burnley look like they could well be on a big downward spiral.
    I was thinking something in line with what Sage suggested. Sell two players to the one club and agree a lower price for Pope and a higher price for X where there isn't a sell on. 
  • Options
    Blucher said:
    Some years ago, I’m pretty sure a rule was introduced whereby transfer fee instalments had to be paid within 12 months of the deal, the rationale being to try and protect buying clubs from spending beyond their means and to try and ensure that selling clubs actually received the money due to them. That only applied to the basic agreed fee and not to add-ons relating to appearances, international honours etc.

I think it was introduced at a time when several clubs went into administration and so made a lot of sense. I have no idea whether that provision has been modified but I suspect it has, given the financial madness that now prevails in the game.
    This can't be true because Derby still haven't paid for Beilik and he's been there 3 years. If it was true they'd have had to cough up long before they went into administration.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Interestingly……any profit we make from the deal is subject to us paying Bury Town FC (Bury st Edmunds),10% thereof.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Where did you see that? Should be enough to keep them going for a while.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Where did you see that? Should be enough to keep them going for a while.
    Info from a No1 source. 🤫
  • Options
    Interestingly……any profit we make from the deal is subject to us paying Bury Town FC (Bury st Edmunds),10% thereof.
    Eh? You think they had some kind of sell on that covered the next 2 transfers?!?
  • Options
    Eh? You think they had some kind of sell on that covered the next 2 transfers?!?
    I believe it’s quite normal, the clause is normally on profit from the sale, any future payment we receive is still profit for us. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    If Burnley are due to front up 65 million now, why would it suit them to have money coming in in dribs and drabs?
    seth plum said:
    The selling club will probably insist on such terms, it’s the possible for Burnley to sell those instalments to someone else in exchange for - less - instant cash, like we did when D. Bent moved to Spurs. 
  • Options
    So, Fraser Forster is going to Spurs as back-up for Lloris. That's one potential route for Pope closed off.
  • Options
    I believe it’s quite normal, the clause is normally on profit from the sale, any future payment we receive is still profit for us. 
    Does that mean we'll get any profit from the sale of Lookman?
  • Options
    cafcfan said:
    So, Fraser Forster is going to Spurs as back-up for Lloris. That's one potential route for Pope closed off.
    Think West Ham will definitely be in for Pope, as will Palace and Newcastle I’d expect
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Sam Johnstone going to Nigels and Henderson going to Newcastle. Imagine it’s West Ham or nothing for Pope
  • Options
    Yup. Pope will sign for someone at the same time as a journeyman Burnley player in a joint deal worth £20 million. Pope will be valued at £5 million and the young kid at £15 million.

I am getting very cynical in my old age. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Yup. Pope will sign for someone at the same time as a journeyman Burnley player in a joint deal worth £20 million. Pope will be valued at £5 million and the young kid at £15 million.

I am getting very cynical in my old age. 
    Given the financial state they're in (and the way Charlton's luck goes) it's more likely to be a random academy player for £20m and Pope on a free.
  • Options
    From our friend Nixon so i wouldn't read too much into it. There's no way Burnley sell for 10m.

NOTTINGHAM FOREST are ready to try their luck with a low bid for Burnley’s England keeper Nick Pope.

The Premier League new-boys want the impressive shot-stopper, who is keen to stay in the top-flight after the Clarets dropped down.

Pope, 30, is valued at 40 million and also fancied by promoted Fulham but neither of the outfits plan to go to that figure for their target.

Sources close to Pope think they can force through a deal at closer to £10m but that is being laughed off at Turf Moor.

But a compromise figure could be reached in the coming weeks.

• Options
    seth plum said:
    If Bury Town benefit somehow to me that is splendid. It feels right.
    Surely they were paid out when we sold him to Burnley?
  • Options
    edited June 2022
    So let’s assume we now have a minimum.
    10-2=8million.
    20% of which is 1.6million.
    That would be more money in than our total current season ticket sales.
    I expect that to inch up, the only complicating factor is if Pope is actually sold and payment timescales.
  • Options
    JohnnyH2 said:
    seth plum said:
    If Bury Town benefit somehow to me that is splendid. It feels right.
    Surely they were paid out when we sold him to Burnley?
    I don’t know.
  • Options
    "Nottingham Forest have agreed a deal with Manchester United to sign 25-year-old English goalkeeper Dean Henderson on loan, with the option to buy for £20m".

If true then this means another club won't be signing Pope. At this rate knowing our luck, he'll end up staying.
  • Options
    "Nottingham Forest have agreed a deal with Manchester United to sign 25-year-old English goalkeeper Dean Henderson on loan, with the option to buy for £20m".

If true then this means another club won't be signing Pope. At this rate knowing our luck, he'll end up staying.
    With Kompany’s arrival that wouldn’t shock me or maybe a loan deal in the hope they bounce straight back.