Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pope dosh?

Comments

• Options
    WSS said:
    People were expecting us to get £10m for Burstow but can't fathom how an England international goalkeeper could be worth £20m. Nothing as queer as folk.
    Third choice England keeper who's biggest weakness in kicking is one of the most desirable traits in a PL GK. If he goes for more than £20m I will be very surprised
  • Options
    Most of Burnley's players are out of contract. They need to hold out for a high fee with Pope because they'll only get £17.5m for Cornet and they have hardly any other saleable assets. McNeil is worth a bit, and feels like the kind of player Everton would sign for £40m and then instantly regret, but after that they have a team of Championship players. Brownhill, Westwood, Taylor, Vydra, it's a true wonder they stayed up as long as they did. Pope is a keeper who will be wanted by Premier League clubs and Burnley can't really afford to let him go for too little. It won't be £40m but I think they will squeeze as much out of that one as possible.
  • Options
    Didn't we get done over on a sell on clause once when there was a player exchange involved in the deal? Seem to remember the player offered up as part of the payment was grossly overpriced as part of the deal and our cut reduced accordingly.

Cannot for the life of me remember who though. Quite possibly I've made it up...
  • Options
    Most of Burnley's players are out of contract. They need to hold out for a high fee with Pope because they'll only get £17.5m for Cornet and they have hardly any other saleable assets. McNeil is worth a bit, and feels like the kind of player Everton would sign for £40m and then instantly regret, but after that they have a team of Championship players. Brownhill, Westwood, Taylor, Vydra, it's a true wonder they stayed up as long as they did. Pope is a keeper who will be wanted by Premier League clubs and Burnley can't really afford to let him go for too little. It won't be £40m but I think they will squeeze as much out of that one as possible.

True except if their loan is due on relegation they may be forced into a much lower fee for cash upfront like we took for Konsa in the RD days I guess.
  • Options
    follett said:
    WSS said:
    People were expecting us to get £10m for Burstow but can't fathom how an England international goalkeeper could be worth £20m. Nothing as queer as folk.
    Third choice England keeper who's biggest weakness in kicking is one of the most desirable traits in a PL GK. If he goes for more than £20m I will be very surprised
    Is it a weakness or is it the way Burnley want to play?
  • Options
    I think it’s reasonable to assume Pope has another five seasons at the very top. For a PL club that’s a very astute investment and I think any of the clubs in the market for a GK will be very interested. 
  • Options
    10 mill would be my guess
  • Options
    It’s worth remembering that if say it was £20m, the chances are it won’t be in one go and so the payments we receive will be spread over time. Won’t be one big windfall.
  • Options
    In Cawley's article 4 years ago he was linked with Liverpool for £18m

What could have changed since then to make his valuation increase or decrease?

Think his reputation has been enhanced since then but of course 4 years older but also 4 years more experienced playing regularly arguably coming into his peak years now, I don't think £25m+ is out of the question.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    If we’re into guessing then I’m saying £20 million. That’s 20% + of £18 million
  • Options
    No comprendo. What’s the missing £2m ?
  • Options
    Sell on clauses are often on profit. I thought he was sold for £1m though not £2m.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Sell on clauses are often on profit. I thought he was sold for £1m though not £2m.
    What he said although I thought it was £2 mill 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    What he said although I thought it was £2 mill 🤷🏻‍♂️
    1.1m 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    I thought it was only 500k, but maybe that was initial. More for England appearance?
  • Options
    follett said:
    WSS said:
    weakness, it's why Southgate didn't trust him even when Pickford was stinking the gaff out in 2020 early 21. Henderson and Ramsdale are good with the ball at their feet. 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    If Nick Pope moves, he'll be leaving in a fire sale, given Burnley's imminent desperate need for fast cash - £65M cash
    So there's one massive question mark over what they'll agree to sell him for, add in he's always got a choice even if he moves.
    Cawley assured us a sell on clause existed when he went from CAFC to BFC.  That clause was "negotiated" by the douchebag, who for the hard of remembering knew the square root of naff all that is useful about running and financing this English football club and took his own advice usually to the obvious opposite of common sense.
    There's another big question mark as to the possible value of any "sell-on" clause.  Simple arithmetic it won't be.
    Transfer fees in PL have gotten batshit crazy but Charlton's sale of NP to Burnley was conducted by the battiest shit whoever got involved.

If Burnley's massively overleveraged owners don't get their house in order quickly enough there won't be any sell on fees coming out of the busted club for the foreseeable future.

Short version, if any fee arrives, at some point in the future, it won't be enough to rebuild a subutteo team, far less one in division 3.  Sandgaard and his retinue of lickspittles and yes men will have to have cobbled together some sort of rabble long before Burnley's cheque clears.
    Don't dwell on it, you'll just age prematurely.  Allowing one's hopes to be elevated by these pipe dreams is akin to self harm.  Don't do it kids, keep calm and carry on.
  • Options

True except if their loan is due on relegation they may be forced into a much lower fee for cash upfront like we took for Konsa in the RD days I guess.
    The question there will be whether they need to rush any sale through in order to survive, or if they can't actually afford to take too little for him because then they have no chance of meeting their loan repayment costs otherwise. It'll be a bit of a gamble on their end
  • Options
    No comprendo. What’s the missing £2m ?
    clause was anything above £2M that they paid, so I assume it would be 20% of the £18M profit we receive only 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    I thought the sell on was 30%. Wasn’t that suggested at a Q&A a number of years ago? 
    Personally think Pope will go for £25m+ and tbh in the market I think he’s worth it. Better than Pickford imo and think he’ll end up at a decent club.
  • Options
    The fact we sold him for a low fee under RD will act a mini bonus here.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Swisdom said:
    I’d hope we don’t say “we’ll invest it all in the squad” because it just increases the cost of anyone we want to sign!

keep it under our hats please

I think anything coming back in fees, will go towards our academy , and paying back Thomas / reducing losses.
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Always try to be pessimistic with these estimates so I’ll say £20m fee with a 20% clause on any profit (and he was sold for the upper end of our guesses: £2m).

That puts us at £3.6m received, on the pessimistic end.

Every £5m in fee received by Burnley banks another £1m for CAFC.
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    I thought the sell on was 30%. Wasn’t that suggested at a Q&A a number of years ago? 
    Personally think Pope will go for £25m+ and tbh in the market I think he’s worth it. Better than Pickford imo and think he’ll end up at a decent club.
    Always try to be pessimistic with these estimates so I’ll say £20m fee with a 20% clause on any profit (and he was sold for the upper end of our guesses: £2m).

Cawley’s article from 2020 said over 20%, so seems reasonable to think it’s 25% or 30%.
  • Options
    Are we sure this money is going to the club and not Roland? When he did the deals at standard liege wasn’t it Mangala who went from Porto to City and they had a sell on clause and all the money went to him even though he didn’t own the club at that time? 
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    follett said:
    WSS said:
    weakness, it's why Southgate didn't trust him even when Pickford was stinking the gaff out in 2020 early 21. Henderson and Ramsdale are good with the ball at their feet. 
    Of course Southgate doesn't seem to rate TAA.
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    mart77 said:

Cawley’s article from 2020 said over 20%, so seems reasonable to think it’s 25% or 30%.
    Not saying you’re wrong but why say over 20% ? Why not say what it is ?
  • Options
    We can rule out Spurs signing him (if they were ever actually in for him). They're apparently about to sign Fraser Forster as backup to Lloris.