Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pope dosh?

Comments

• Options
    I have always thought Fulham. As for Forest, I thought Samba looked a top keeper. They might have put more effort in keeping him. If they have lost him, they absolutely should be going for Pope.
  • Options
    Southampton have just paid 15m for 20 year old Man City Goalkeeper Gavin Bazunu
  • Options
    Dansk_Red said:
    Bargain, is a v good keeper and think he will only be there for a couple of years before a move upwards
  • Options
    Sage said:
    If Pope wants to go to the World Cup, he is going to have to be playing with in the Premier League. He may not feature for England but he will want the experience of a World Cup and at 30 it’s his last chance. Pope and his agent will be pushing for a move back to the Premier League, I have no doubt about that. Only a matter of time before he leaves.
    Don't forget he was in the 2018 squad in Russia.
  • Options
    I have always thought Fulham. As for Forest, I thought Samba looked a top keeper. They might have put more effort in keeping him. If they have lost him, they absolutely should be going for Pope.
    I’ve always thought Dean Henderson was slightly overrated but he’s got 50 odd Prem appearances, Champions League experience and an England cap. He’s also better with his feet than Pope. If I had the choice between the 2 for the same price I’d be going with Henderson, still only 25 he’s better value. 
  • Options
    Sage said:
    If Pope wants to go to the World Cup, he is going to have to be playing with in the Premier League. He may not feature for England but he will want the experience of a World Cup and at 30 it’s his last chance. Pope and his agent will be pushing for a move back to the Premier League, I have no doubt about that. Only a matter of time before he leaves.
    Don't forget he was in the 2018 squad in Russia.
    Good point. It being his last chance still stands though. Potentially even his last chance to go to a major tournament too.
  • Options
    mart77 said:
    Dansk_Red said:
    Bargain, is a v good keeper and think he will only be there for a couple of years before a move upwards
    Or back to City
  • Options
    Good news that Newcastle are interested. 
  • Options
    £8-10m sounds dodgy to me. £15 -20m ok but are we being screwed here?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Not enough IMHO?😟
  • Options
    Does seem very low with the fees being spent in the Prem.
  • Options
    Guess thats relegation tax... Burnley are having their pants pulled down given the buyers.
  • Options
    Or Newcastle buy somebody else off them later for an inflated price!
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Does seem very low with the fees being spent in the Prem.
    But then there are a number of keepers available. Forster went to Spurs on a free, Johnstone has gone to Palace on a free
  • Options
    is he even going to Newcastle as first choice? 
  • Options
    Or Newcastle buy somebody else off them later for an inflated price!
    Land of make believe stuff. Why would Burnley ever risk that, why would a random player agree to be a pawn in Popes transfer.
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    I thought Dean Henderson was going there, but he's now rumoured to be off to Forest.

So it'll be Pope vs Dúbravka for the jersey - Two very decent options for them

Certainly keeps the likes of Freddie Woodman waiting (shame we cant tempt him here with his Dad @ Bromley), whilst you'd expect Karl Darlow to be pretty much in the Rob Elliot / Scott Carson role of third choice now.
  • Options
    Guess thats relegation tax... Burnley are having their pants pulled down given the buyers.
    Plus he only has a year left on his contract
  • Options
    Plus he only has a year left on his contract
    and he's not a keeper who if you're a team that wants to play out, will want, puts a limit on his value. Don't think he's better then Dúbravka 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited June 2022
    Rothko said:
    I thought Dean Henderson was going there, but he's now rumoured to be off to Forest.

So it'll be Pope vs Dúbravka for the jersey - Two very decent options for them

Certainly keeps the likes of Freddie Woodman waiting (shame we cant tempt him here with his Dad @ Bromley), whilst you'd expect Karl Darlow to be pretty much in the Rob Elliot / Scott Carson role of third choice now.

Woodman looks like signing for Preston, on a permanent basis too. Darlow might be off to Middlesbro'
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    Maybe 50K from Alfie, 10K from Brendan and 20% of Burnley's profit on a sale they haven't come close to making yet
    Nothing to see here boys n girls. £60K plugs a hole in the cashflow for about 2 days.
    Even the Pope money might cover 2 transfer fees and some signing on money.
    Don't see Sandgaard's outlay going bigtime off the back of any of this
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Scoham said:
    Maybe 50K from Alfie, 10K from Brendan and 20% of Burnley's profit on a sale they haven't come close to making yet
    Nothing to see here boys n girls. £60K plugs a hole in the cashflow for about 2 days.
    + Burstow money. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Scoham said:
    + Burstow money. 
    That £1M and a bit will be in by now and helping to fund this window. 
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Scoham said:
    + Burstow money. 
    That £1M and a bit will be in by now and helping to fund this window. 
    Kinda my point 
  • Options
    I would imagine, given Newcastle’s unlimited funds, the relatively low fee and Burnley’s reported need for instant cash, that this will be an upfront cash job, which will perhaps suit us going into this window as it means that £1m(ish) will come straight to us and not in instalments.
  • Options
    Pope has apparently agreed personal terms with Newcastle and his medical will take place soon. Some places reporting 8m, some saying 10m.
  • Options
    We might clear about two million when this gets done and dusted.
  • Options
    Leaving aside our financial motives, that's a great move for Pope. Moving to a club who clearly will be going places, indeed challenging for Europe, and he'll be first choice too.
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    We might clear about two million when this gets done and dusted.
    So on top of the £1M we got upfront a total of £3M.  A bit disappointing in the end but way better than I would ever have expected at the time we sold him.