Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Pope dosh?

Comments

• Options
    Valley11 said:
    So, he goes for £30M. We get 30% of £29M of that= £8.7M..  would be nice. 

In reality probably 20% of £14M, still £2.8M which would be nice.
    If it’s the first scenario, would that make Pope our third most lucrative export behind Parker and Bent? 
    Think Defoe is in our top 10 from the compensation West Ham had to pay us.  
  • Options
    Swisdom said:
    I’d hope we don’t say “we’ll invest it all in the squad” because it just increases the cost of anyone we want to sign!

keep it under our hats please

The football world will know if Pope goes Charlton will gain out of it. You can’t keep that quiet
  • Options
    Burnley want £40m but will offer him a new deal to try to keep him. Fulham and West Ham interested.

Hopefully that asking price doesn’t put anyone off. Fulham said to be keen to get him in early in the window, would be great for us.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-10841849/amp/Burnley-attach-staggering-40m-price-tag-West-Ham-United-Fulham-target-Nick-Pope.html
  • Options
    What’s the Gomez %?
  • Options
    Loving the optimism that TS will invest any sell on money into our squad.

For me I would like to see the most money possible as we either buy some players or pay down a chunk of the clubs debts.  Both are good for the club.
  • Options
    Buy the training ground?
  • Options
    I like Pope, but he's not at the top end of the Premier League in terms of keepers, not the greatest with his feet, which seems to be an absolute must for a team at the top end of the table 
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Redrobo said:
    Buy the training ground?
    Ploughing any windfalls into the training ground so we can achieve Cat A status will be the best long term investment the club can make.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9DA9
    edited May 2022
    Rothko said:
    I like Pope, but he's not at the top end of the Premier League in terms of keepers, not the greatest with his feet, which seems to be an absolute must for a team at the top end of the table

If 
    West Ham and Fulham are willing to pay 40M for him, he could turn to mince next season for all I care
  • Options
    Little bird told me Newcastle for 25m, I have no doubt we'll all probably be wrong but it's funny how the rumours fly.
  • Options
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/charlton-athletic-set-for-significant-sum-if-burnley-sell-40m-rated-keeper-nick-pope/

We also have a sell on clause for Wiredu. We should buy him back as we’d that percentage back!
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    Rothko said:
    Who cares if West Ham and Fulham are willing to pay 40M for him, he could turn to mince next season for all I care
    Which is why I doubt they'll get £40m for him, I would hope it's in the £20M range, but he's not in the Ramsdale price range at £40m
  • Options
    Pope will leave (Burnley will have a huge squard turnover) but it won't be for anywhere near £40m
  • Options
    Rothko said:
    SSSHHHHH!
  • Options
    Popes kicking has always been inferior to the top end keepers but as a shotstopper he is up there with the best of them in the league. He’s 30 so realistically has 5 or 6 seasons in him still. He’ll probably go for £30m and everyone will be happy.
  • Options
    £40 million would make Pope the 4th most expensive keeper of all time. I know times have changed, fees have gone up and keepers play til 40 but a 30 year old Pope surely goes for around £15 million, which would still see him in the top 30 for GK transfer fees
  • Options
    follett said:
    £40 million would make Pope the 4th most expensive keeper of all time. I know times have changed, fees have gone up and keepers play til 40 but a 30 year old Pope surely goes for around £15 million, which would still see him in the top 30 for GK transfer fees
    I agree, I can't see him going for as much as Ramsdale did last summer. Hopefully not much less though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    He doesn't have the kicking and distribution skills, but his "traditional" keeping skills are as good as anyone in the PL

And I'm sure that with better players around him he could improve his distribution.
  • Options
    Why would u buy the training ground. Saudis had a new one lined up in Grays, because most players live in Essex any way. Grabs tin hat.... :)
  • Options
    edited May 2022
    Ramsdale was £30m, Henderson is being linked with Newcastle for £40m, they're at that same sort of English, good but not world class, in the national team squad but not first choice level.

However, both are younger.

Can see him going to a Palace, West Ham etc type team for about £20-25m, if our sell on is above 20% as Cawley says, it'd be a very decent £4-6m, if not quite the £10m or whatever we may be hoping for.
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    What’s the Gomez %?
    Does anyone know?  Is there definitely one?
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    What’s the Gomez %?
    Does anyone know?  Is there definitely one?
    It’s more than one
  • Options
    I think he will go for around £15m. 

Burnley aren't in a position of power and Charlton, well, we simply like lower fees from our player sales. 
  • Options
    Given Burnley’s situation I expect them to hold out for as much as they can possibly get.
  • Options
    Six years younger but Ramsdale joined Sheffield Utd for £18m and then Arsenal for £30m, to use and England international for context. 
  • Options
    People were expecting us to get £10m for Burstow but can't fathom how an England international goalkeeper could be worth £20m. Nothing as queer as folk.
  • Options
    If he moves for £25 million I suppose we are due the best part of 20% of £23 million.
    £4.6 million.
    A third mitigation, a third to the Academy and £1,533,333, to go into the transfer kitty.