Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard is not Charlton

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Redrobo said:
    thenewbie said:
    Redrobo said:
    He owns the club but if he wants the majority of fans onboard he has to run it properly. If he doesn't care and just wants to do it his way, he is going to fail which will threaten the future of the club. 
    Fortunately he does care and is running the Club very well which is why the vast majority of fans are behind him.
    The future looks good.
    Based on what? I concede that there are some mitigating factors but at the very best we've trod water - three managers and several million pounds later there's been no actual progress on the pitch and the club is still losing money.

Off the top of my head:-
    Training ground improving and on track for Cat1
    Improved medical team and equipment 
    More coaches
    More long term contracts reducing the churn every season
    More contracts for the youth players protecting our future
    Better fan engagement 
    Better food and drink at the ground
    Better recruitment team and diagnostics 
    Commitment to increase attendance at games
    Season tickets remaining at same cost
    Full time ladies team
    Charlton TV - a fantastic professional product
    Yeah, but what else has he done for us...
    he's going to build an aquaduct at Sparrows Lane!
    What have the Bikings ever done for us except  build aqueducts ?
    Vikings I mean
    They seem to be pedaling so fast they may disappear up their own Jacksies so Bikings may well be apposite in this case
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    My response was a generalisation really mate. There are loads of people getting worked up about people leaving the club and thinking it's all some kind of masterplan of TS to install his son or himself in running everything and that thinking does my head in.

I have no knowledge of what's going on but I will tell you what I do know for sure.

TS bought the club and he isnt going to do anything that will risk his investment. He isnt rich enough to have a football club as a play thing. It is a business, sure he wants to have fun doing it but at the end of the day he wants to build something that is worth more than it was or is now. He might be mental but I cant see him using this as some kind of vanity project for either him or his son. The financial risk compared to his net worth is too great. We may not agree with stuff but I'm 100% sure he will be making decisions based on what he feels are best for the club and his £
    So your saying employing his son to basically over see player recruitment, and retention, is a good decision to protect his ££s?

The players and their success are the only asset he actually owns.

Lets be clear Thomas has done some really good things and is probably still massively in credit with most people.  But this makes no sense which ever way anyone tries to spin it. And it's costing him a fortune. 
    No mate I'm saying exactly the opposite. I dont believe TS would put his son into that position as it makes no sense to do so. I have seen absolutely nowhere where it has been said ( apart from on here ) that MS is in charge of recruitment. I never like to say much about private lives on here but I run a reasonably sized business and 4 of my kids work in it and I'm very glad they do as I get to hear a trusted view on what's going on in the business but noway are they in positions above people more suitably qualified. 
    TS is 1st and foremost a businessman and he will be wanting to have a few years of fun building a decent club until hopefully it becomes worth more than it has cost him. Who knows if he will succeed but he wont be risking that on some kind of vanity project for his son trust me
  • Options
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    My response was a generalisation really mate. There are loads of people getting worked up about people leaving the club and thinking it's all some kind of masterplan of TS to install his son or himself in running everything and that thinking does my head in.

I have no knowledge of what's going on but I will tell you what I do know for sure.

TS bought the club and he isnt going to do anything that will risk his investment. He isnt rich enough to have a football club as a play thing. It is a business, sure he wants to have fun doing it but at the end of the day he wants to build something that is worth more than it was or is now. He might be mental but I cant see him using this as some kind of vanity project for either him or his son. The financial risk compared to his net worth is too great. We may not agree with stuff but I'm 100% sure he will be making decisions based on what he feels are best for the club and his £
    So your saying employing his son to basically over see player recruitment, and retention, is a good decision to protect his ££s?

Lets be clear Thomas has done some really good things and is probably still massively in credit with most people.  But this makes no sense which ever way anyone tries to spin it. And it's costing him a fortune. 
    No mate I'm saying exactly the opposite. I dont believe TS would put his son into that position as it makes no sense to do so. I have seen absolutely nowhere where it has been said ( apart from on here ) that MS is in charge of recruitment. I never like to say much about private lives on here but I run a reasonably sized business and 4 of my kids work in it and I'm very glad they do as I get to hear a trusted view on what's going on in the business but noway are they in positions above people more suitably qualified. 
    TS is 1st and foremost a businessman and he will be wanting to have a few years of fun building a decent club until hopefully it becomes worth more than it has cost him. Who knows if he will succeed but he wont be risking that on some kind of vanity project for his son trust me
    There is a quote from Thomas on the other thread that basically gives Martin the credit for "finding" Fraser.

I totally agree that it makes no logical sense and is the least sensible thing he could do.  But I do believe, and there is a lot of evidence, that that is exactly what he has done. 

I have absolutely no problem with him employing his son, mainly for the reasons you said, it's the choice of job that's the head scratcher. 
  • Options
    Saying he identified Fraser through data isnt the same as he bought him though is it. I get your point about the finding bit when he was a previous target but that also counts re Kirk etc. Mate I'm not saying he is or he isnt as I dont know I'm just giving an alternative view as imo it is extremely unlikely. As I said if it turns out to be true then the guy deserves to lose his money
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

There is a quote from Thomas on the other thread that basically gives Martin the credit for "finding" Fraser.

I totally agree that it makes no logical sense and is the least sensible thing he could do.  But I do believe, and there is a lot of evidence, that that is exactly what he has done. 

I have absolutely no problem with him employing his son, mainly for the reasons you said, it's the choice of job that's the head scratcher. 
    Agreed, but if he wants MS as his eyes and ears at SL, there can't be many realistic jobs he could do.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

Agreed, but if he wants MS as his eyes and ears at SL, there can't be many realistic jobs he could do.
    You could make up any number of non jobs for him if that's all you want.  Director of percurment (balls, bibs and cones) for example. 
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

You could make up any number of non jobs for him if that's all you want.  Director of percurment (balls, bibs and cones) for example. 
    Realistically MS wouldn't do that, nor cook nor cleaner etc.
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

There's always Director of Operations, of course .
  • Options
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    AndyG said:

But if the reason is just eyes and ears, which is totally understandable, does he need a "proper job" as well?  It just makes no sense to me, and the feeling I get is that almost everyone that doesn't think he has the level of influence others do is because the scenario is totally bonkers.  It makes zero sense. 
  • Options
    I'm assuming it is two fold.
    TS feels he has the ability to do the analytics. Like Driessen did and like some of us feel we could do.
    Plus there is the added bonus that he keeps an eye on things and can report back.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2022
    There is simply no way any of us would be justifying hiring a son if Roland had done it…… he would have (rightfully) been torn to bits for it. Can’t have double standards 
  • Options
    I'm not justifying btw & although maybe a few have I should imagine 99% of fans think it's a bad idea.
  • Options
    I see Martin has bought in Tom Pell. Excellent bit of work.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:
    I see Martin has bought in Tom Pell. Excellent bit of work.
    I thought that was Steve Avery to replace the departing Ruth Corry