Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaard is not Charlton

Comments

• Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    This thread is wrong and out of order imo. Sandgaard has put money into the club, not really his fault its not worked. Adkins didn't work out, while I love JJ he didn't exactly pull up trees but the investment has been there 
    I don’t know what to say anymore. The double standards between him and Roland (forget ESI who were another level of wrong uns) is crazy.

Not his fault it didn’t work?

He is quite literally the de facto leader of this business. By not recruiting a senior decision maker on a day to day basis to make these decisions - the responsibility can’t fall to anyone else but him. If it’s not his fault then who’s is it? When you place yourself at the top of the tree and refuse to put more experienced heads in place then you have nowhere to hide when it doesn’t work out.
    He appointment Jed Roddy MBE, a hugely experienced and respected man in football who on paper should have been the ideal appointment to take make the football decisions that would have taken the Club forward. 
    Do you remember who Roland appointed?
    He also employed Jed Roddy MBE and gave him responsibility for an area of a football club he had never worked in before.  The Lords grounds man has great experience in cricket, doesn't mean he should be England captain.
    And how do you compare him to who Roland appointed which was the discussion.
    Well Roland employed Gallen to head up recruitment?

(No that's not a "I would rather Roland than Thomas" comment, I just want to see the mental gymnastics that will follow).

So let's get this right.  You don't think Sandgaard sacked Jackson.  You don't think Martin has any input into recruitment bar doing a bit of IT work.  Despite Thomas himself saying he did and he does.

And you think Roddy was a good appointment to head up the recruitment side of the club, despite never having done anything remotely similar before?

Is that fair?
    I think TS has great lawyers that would put in exit clauses at the end of each season and mid year before the transfer window into his contract. If they were not there and he was sacked then JJ would have been entitled to have his contract paid up wouldn’t he?

I think describing Martin as “doing a bit of IT work” is very disrespectful of someone with vast experience in IT and is providing the data that will guide decisions, so yes, I hope he does have a big input into the recruitment process because of these very skills.

I think Roddy was a good football person with an impressive background in the development of players that would help us achieve Cat1 status first and foremost, and who also had leadership skills to help build a team to manage all aspects of the footballing backup side of the Club. 
    You describe him as ‘Head of recruitment’. I thought he was appointed as ‘Technical Director’? You know best of course. 

Planning the shipments of medical equipment and making sure the website works in your dad's Colorado based business is clearly a solid grounding for player analysis at an English 3rd division football club.  

That CV is absolutely fucking laughable. Laughable.

I don’t like people who just ride off their parents at the best of times, but honestly, and somebody who works in sport and entertainment. I wouldn’t even expect that CV to land for any role I have hired for in the last 20 years. Never mind be considered.
    Also says he has been here nearly 18 months.  When was his arrival announced?  🤔🤔
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    This thread is wrong and out of order imo. Sandgaard has put money into the club, not really his fault its not worked. Adkins didn't work out, while I love JJ he didn't exactly pull up trees but the investment has been there 
    I don’t know what to say anymore. The double standards between him and Roland (forget ESI who were another level of wrong uns) is crazy.

He is quite literally the de facto leader of this business. By not recruiting a senior decision maker on a day to day basis to make these decisions - the responsibility can’t fall to anyone else but him. If it’s not his fault then who’s is it? When you place yourself at the top of the tree and refuse to put more experienced heads in place then you have nowhere to hide when it doesn’t work out.
    He appointment Jed Roddy MBE, a hugely experienced and respected man in football who on paper should have been the ideal appointment to take make the football decisions that would have taken the Club forward. 
    He also employed Jed Roddy MBE and gave him responsibility for an area of a football club he had never worked in before.  The Lords grounds man has great experience in cricket, doesn't mean he should be England captain.

(No that's not a "I would rather Roland than Thomas" comment, I just want to see the mental gymnastics that will follow).

So let's get this right.  You don't think Sandgaard sacked Jackson.  You don't think Martin has any input into recruitment bar doing a bit of IT work.  Despite Thomas himself saying he did and he does.

And you think Roddy was a good appointment to head up the recruitment side of the club, despite never having done anything remotely similar before?

Is that fair?
    I think TS has great lawyers that would put in exit clauses at the end of each season and mid year before the transfer window into his contract. If they were not there and he was sacked then JJ would have been entitled to have his contract paid up wouldn’t he?

I think describing Martin as “doing a bit of IT work” is very disrespectful of someone with vast experience in IT and is providing the data that will guide decisions, so yes, I hope he does have a big input into the recruitment process because of these very skills.

I think Roddy was a good football person with an impressive background in the development of players that would help us achieve Cat1 status first and foremost, and who also had leadership skills to help build a team to manage all aspects of the footballing backup side of the Club. 
    You describe him as ‘Head of recruitment’. I thought he was appointed as ‘Technical Director’? You know best of course. 

Planning the shipments of medical equipment and making sure the website works in your dad's Colorado based business is clearly a solid grounding for player analysis at an English 3rd division football club.  

I don’t like people who just ride off their parents at the best of times, but honestly, and somebody who works in sport and entertainment. I wouldn’t even expect that CV to land for any role I have hired for in the last 20 years. Never mind be considered.
    Also says he has been here nearly 18 months.  When was his arrival announced?  🤔🤔
    https://www.cafc.co.uk/news/view/61c596681c4de/update-on-roles-of-steve-gallen-and-martin-sandgaard
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Redrobo said:

Is that fair?

As I’ve said before - I was behind the west stand with everyone else for the Roland protests. But this sort of shit is right up their with anything the Belgian one did.

I mean we were getting our knickers in a twist over a sofa next to the pitch. This though is next level shite compared to that…. If RD had hired his son we would have been protesting at the back of the west stand the next day.

• supaclive said:
    "I think describing Martin as “doing a bit of IT work” is very disrespectful of someone with vast experience in IT and is providing the data that will guide decisions, so yes, I hope he does have a big input into the recruitment process because of these
    very skills."

VAST experience?  Where is this VAST experience you speak of from by the way......

Why do you think he SHOULD have a big input into our recruitment @Redrobo

"Martin Sandgaard had spent 14 years working for Zynex Medical, his father’s business. He had been production and supply chain manager."

Yurp.  Perfect for football data analysis and buying players.  
    When you have staff previously experienced in catering making decisions on pitch management, I can see why you would have someone from a medical manufacturers selecting footballers.
    It all fits perfectly 👍
  • edited May 2022
    I can understand him hiring his own son. He knows he can trust him and he can't be here all of the time. I'd probably do the same. It is some of his other signings that seem to have been errors.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I can understand him hiring his own son. He knows he can trust him and he can't be here all of the time. I'd probably do the same. It is some of his other signings that seem to have been errors.
    I can understand him hiring his own son.  What I cant understand why he has intrusted arguably the most important job at the club to him when he has no experience on it what so ever.
    Because he's a cheap option ? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    I can understand him hiring his own son.  What I cant understand why he has intrusted arguably the most important job at the club to him when he has no experience on it what so ever.
    Because he's a cheap option ? 
    No I don't think so.  Its a job that could potentially waste millions very quickly.
  • Departure of Brett Shaw won’t help either.
  • Sponsored links:

You don't need a head of analysis when you have a director of analytics :-)

I can't find the face palm smiley face but that's bonkers.
    Why has Shaw left? And do we know if we intend to replace him?
  • The thing that I think is most disconcerting is the fact that football clubs aren’t like traditional businesses.  Let alone a club with the history and culture of ours, being bought by someone like TS.

I’m still on the side of ‘trusting the process’ or whatever term you want to use when it comes to TS’ ownership.  I don’t think getting rid of Jackson was the wrong decision, but everything else that surrounds it, seems to imply confusion, misunderstanding and if we’re not careful, very soon, incompetence.

Picking up on comments on other threads by posters I respect such as @Fanny Fanackapan and @Cafc43v3r, the fact that we’ve got a Director of Analytics whose prior role involved multiple jobs at Zynex and the general shambles last season turned out to be, I would say we’re a summer away from either being able to reset, change course and get back on track, or face a very bad season and likely uproar among the fans.  

I wouldn’t mind someone like Warburton, but if he comes into a culture that the likes of Fanny described, then you might as well have Martin Sangaard run the team.

As I say, still see TS as having credit in the bank, grateful for the financial commitment and the vision, but the vision needs the foundation now.  Hopefully this next apt will be a good one, with the right structure both on the playing and non playing side, but time is running out 
  •  It would seem to be that Sandgaard senior is planning for he and his son to run most things in the club including the football team. I would not be surprised if Martin ended up team manager.
  • If the sacking of Shaw is true it is yet another indication that TS doesn't know what is best for the football side of the club 
  • If the sacking of Shaw is true it is yet another indication that TS doesn't know what is best for the football side of the club 
     But to play devils advocate…we need changes all over the club given how average we are performing. 

Did Brett have any great experience before  he started with us / dont results suggest we need to improve in this area too perhaps ? 

We don’t know for example if a new manager might have his own ideas and demands on this sort of role. We can’t assess without seeing who is appointed and when. 

Appointing his own son is not a surprise. What power or authority he may have over more experienced colleagues is what would be important. 

But to think this sort of thing doesn’t happen elsewhere or in other businesses is just naive. 

I’ve worked with many ‘grads’ for example over the years who are fast tracked to senior roles before more experienced staff but can’t actually do the lower rung roles and ultimately leave the organisation to go elsewhere. They build their own CV and learn but don’t necessarily help their employer beyond other candidates. It’s life. 

But the world of football which keeps jobs circulating  only to those in the industry already isn’t always healthy either. In the same way we seem the same tired pundits commentating on TV. 

The  most successful business use a mix of all skills sets and experience. 

As I say only playing devils advocate.  But we do need change after all this time. And that sadly is why letting JJ go is mostly right if hard to accept. Life will move on. 

• You can play devil's advocate but if you think Martin Sandgaard alone is going to transform our recruitment policy I give you

Fraser - somebody we tried to buy before 
    Aneke - somebody who played for us before

The two loanees.   Who um, didn't really play

Genius. 

We're going to piss it next year.
    You may be right LL, but I don't know.
    Please explain to us what Shaw did, who is now doing that work and why the club is worse off?
    Genuine questions as I'd like to understand from someone that does.
    You may be right LL, but I don't know.
    Please explain to us what Shaw did, who is now doing that work and why the club is worse off?
    Genuine questions as I'd like to understand from someone that does.
    https://cafc.co.uk/news/view/5cf7762e7ba55/piece-by-set-piece-the-power-of-analysis
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2022
    Was Brett Shaw even involved in player/transfer analysis? 

I was under the impression he was only ever match analysis and produced the reports of our own games that was fed back to the manager to sort in training. Had his own room at SL to produce these and was worked on a lot and influenced Jackson’s tactics etc (sure that came out on Jackos tour around the TG with sky?)

edit: https://youtu.be/aAP9AI65kDk 

he’s described as ‘working on up and coming opposition and feeding jackson the info… works closely with jackson, presenting to players And what’ll be worked on in training”
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    YTS1978 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I’m sure I read this elsewhere but I got told this this week that Sandgaard made JJ pick Burstow to get an extra payment out of Chelsea  
    I have heard that elsewhere.  I believe it comes from the same source and alleged conversation as the contract situation Thomas denied yesterday. 
    I can't believe this is true tbh. MB made about 5 starts after he was sold and they were mainly because we had no other options. As soon as we had players back he was dropped. If we did get extra money from Chelsea, then that was a happy accident.
    It's a specific reference to why he played in the Morcambe game. 
    True, Jackson was forced to play Burstow against morecombe, when he wanted to play Washington 
  • We really are a weird set of supporters !!! Of all the things that 100% of us agree on is that our recruitment has been in the main rubbish. Shock horror we are starting to lose people who have played a part in that recruitment!!!! 
    I have no idea if this guy is great or rubbish at his role but not one person on here has claimed our recruitment has been decent lately. 

Perhaps this is a part of the rebuild most on here have been shouting for.
  • AndyG said:
    We really are a weird set of supporters !!! Of all the things that 100% of us agree on is that our recruitment has been in the main rubbish. Shock horror we are starting to lose people who have played a part in that recruitment!!!! 
    I have no idea if this guy is great or rubbish at his role but not one person on here has claimed our recruitment has been decent lately. 

Explain who you are talking about? Brett Shaw was not part of the recruitment 
  • This article from last year confirms MS took on analytics covering both recruitment and upcoming opponents.

https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/exclusive-martin-sandgaard-appointed-charlton-athletics-director-of-analysis/

“But right now it is the data analytics for our first-team squad as well as upcoming opponents,” he said.
  • AndyG said:
    We really are a weird set of supporters !!! Of all the things that 100% of us agree on is that our recruitment has been in the main rubbish. Shock horror we are starting to lose people who have played a part in that recruitment!!!! 

It’s basically because TS has put his son in, as of yet we don’t know if he will succeed but already seems to have failed due to who he is. Things haven’t worked and changes are being made. It is fact this needed to happen.  Let’s judge after the piece not before. Then the moaning may be more valid.
  • edited May 2022
    supaclive said:
    You can play devil's advocate but if you think Martin Sandgaard alone is going to transform our recruitment policy I give you

Fraser - somebody we tried to buy before 
    Aneke - somebody who played for us before

The two loanees.   Who um, didn't really play

Genius. 

We're going to piss it next year.
    Where have I said or implied that ?

We don’t know the dynamics of who identified who. Those signings aren’t wrong. The loaners aren’t obvious but we don’t see what happens in training either. Few suggested Nile John was a bad signing at the time. 

But if you believe the rumours on hear, MS let slip it might be the new manager who makes the call on signings ?

my point was changing the performance analyst could be another change we need. I’m not seeing MS doing that on a match day.