Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Sandgaard is not Charlton

Comments

• Redrobo said:
    thenewbie said:
    Redrobo said:
    He owns the club but if he wants the majority of fans onboard he has to run it properly. If he doesn't care and just wants to do it his way, he is going to fail which will threaten the future of the club. 
    Fortunately he does care and is running the Club very well which is why the vast majority of fans are behind him.
    The future looks good.
    Based on what? I concede that there are some mitigating factors but at the very best we've trod water - three managers and several million pounds later there's been no actual progress on the pitch and the club is still losing money.

Off the top of my head:-
    Training ground improving and on track for Cat1
    Improved medical team and equipment 
    More coaches
    More long term contracts reducing the churn every season
    More contracts for the youth players protecting our future
    Better fan engagement 
    Better food and drink at the ground
    Better recruitment team and diagnostics 
    Commitment to increase attendance at games
    Season tickets remaining at same cost
    Full time ladies team
    Charlton TV - a fantastic professional product
    but where it really matters, on the pitch, we have been worse than shit. But hey ho the food and drink it the ground has improved.
  • edited May 2022
    Redrobo said:
    thenewbie said:
    Redrobo said:
    He owns the club but if he wants the majority of fans onboard he has to run it properly. If he doesn't care and just wants to do it his way, he is going to fail which will threaten the future of the club. 
    Fortunately he does care and is running the Club very well which is why the vast majority of fans are behind him.
    The future looks good.
    Based on what? I concede that there are some mitigating factors but at the very best we've trod water - three managers and several million pounds later there's been no actual progress on the pitch and the club is still losing money.

More coaches
    Better fan engagement 
    Full time ladies team
    Its a shame as if Sandgaard packed off tomorrow, he'd be solely remembered for the mess on the pitch

As per the current replies

But we've badly needed improvement off it too

Even little things like making medical equipment available for the physios to use, and the fact our Gym is a marquee.

If he did leave, he's probably make it a lot easier for the next owner to focus more on the team
  • Redrobo said:
    thenewbie said:
    Redrobo said:
    The future looks good.

More coaches
    Better fan engagement 
    Full time ladies team
    Very rarely buy food and drink in the ground, but was at the Valley Tuesday night (my son took part in the Junior Members on-pitch training session). Bought a sausage roll, and have to say it was one of the best sausage rolls I've had ever. No need for any caveats like "at a football ground", it was truly fantastic, if a little pricey.

They just need to sort out the dire beer situation. The available draft options were Fosters and John Smiths. At least in the lounges there's a decent selection of bottled beer and well as a greater selected of draft beers/ciders.
  • Redrobo said:
    thenewbie said:
    Redrobo said:
    The future looks good.

More coaches
    Better fan engagement 
    Full time ladies team
    Very rarely buy food and drink in the ground, but was at the Valley Tuesday night (my son took part in the Junior Members on-pitch training session). Bought a sausage roll, and have to say it was one of the best sausage rolls I've had ever. No need for any caveats like "at a football ground", it was truly fantastic, if a little pricey.

They just need to sort out the dire beer situation. The available draft options were Fosters and John Smiths. At least in the lounges there's a decent selection of bottled beer and well as a greater selected of draft beers/ciders. 
    I wish we'd do away with Fosters, at least get Coors or Budweiser or even Stella in! :lol:
  • edited May 2022
    Redrobo said:
    thenewbie said:
    Redrobo said:
    The future looks good.

More coaches
    Better fan engagement 
    Full time ladies team
    Can have the nicest looking restaurant in the world and if the food is like from a motorway cafe you won’t get many returns to it 
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:
    thenewbie said:
    Redrobo said:
    The future looks good.

More coaches
    Better fan engagement 
    Full time ladies team

I wish we'd do away with Fosters, at least get Coors or Budweiser or even Stella in! :lol:
    They have Amstel and Heineken (I think, could be Carlsberg, definitely a green pump) in the Vista lounge, an infinite improvement on Fosters, though I tend to go for the bottled Ales on the rare occasions I manage to snag lounge access.
  • edited May 2022
    So the guy that owns us, has been as honest and enthusiastic as possible & actually pumped money into us, along with making big managerial decisions, attends games despite living overseas and is extremely engaging with our fanbase isn’t Charlton? Right-o. What a waste of bandwidth 
  • edited May 2022
    Redrobo said:
    thenewbie said:
    Redrobo said:
    The future looks good.

More coaches
    Better fan engagement 
    Full time ladies team
    Yeah, but what else has he done for us...
    Well, he did buy all the season ticket holders a pint!
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Redrobo said:
    thenewbie said:
    Redrobo said:
    The future looks good.

More coaches
    Better fan engagement 
    Full time ladies team

I wish we'd do away with Fosters, at least get some beer in! 
  • So the guy that owns us, has been as honest and enthusiastic as possible & actually pumped money into us, along with making big managerial decisions, attends games despite living overseas and is extremely engaging with our fanbase isn’t Charlton? Right-o. What a waste of bandwidth 
    but we are still 13th in L1 playing crap football
  • edited May 2022
    Certainly need to get better with the Footballing side of things

But its probably a Chicken vs Egg situation for people who attend.

I imagine those who are Charlton fans, care primarily about the Football on offer - Those who dont care about Charlton and dont overly care if Charlton win, will want a good experience at the Valley as a whole.

Improve the Football factor first, and the day trippers may not want to come back if the hospitality is shite.

Impossible to talk for either party though, as we all have our separate reasons

Me for example, I dont care about the hospitality or the standard of Football on offer

I go as its good to see friends, and enjoy a game, its getting to the point these days where a victory just makes the day out that little bit better... If I did care about the latter, I probably wouldnt be supporting Charlton :)
  • Redrobo said:
    thenewbie said:
    Redrobo said:
    The future looks good.

More coaches
    Better fan engagement 
    Full time ladies team
    All fair but also all things that will be the first to regress/be sold off if we don't get promotion.

The question is whether the genuine improvements behind the scenes are enough to compensate for the stagnation on the pitch. 

Ultimately I think it illustrates the Sandgaard paradox - he legitimately is a good businessman but not as good at the actual football stuff.
  • thenewbie said:
    Redrobo said:
    The future looks good.

Look at the mess of a club he inherited. I think TS misunderstood the extent of what was required to both the playing and non playing side of the club. 

On that basis, he is still in credit with me but there have been a few things that are making me to start to wonder if he is another bad owner!  Still too early to judge in my view. 
    The problem, if you think it's a problem, is he has done it arse backwards.  The easy bit really was sorting it out on the pitch.  Last season we started with a great core but we're obviously well short in numbers. 

If he had done none of that stuff and we had been promoted no one would have given a flying fig about any of it. 

It's all nice to haves while we are in league 1, some of it is a necessity in the medium term but so is getting out of league 1.  Treading water is costing him a fortune. 
  • So the guy that owns us, has been as honest and enthusiastic as possible & actually pumped money into us, along with making big managerial decisions, attends games despite living overseas and is extremely engaging with our fanbase isn’t Charlton? Right-o. What a waste of bandwidth 
    Very true. And I go for the football.
    Everyone is agreed that last summer’s recruitment was too little too late, although Dobbo, Clair and Lavelle have done well. Big Mac looked a good signing and may look better behind a competent defence.
    I thought the January window was good with our two permanent signings. I am confident that our recruitment team is a lot better than last summer and whatever any of us think about JJ, he at least demonstrated that we need a lot more quality players in.
    Overall I think we are heading in the right direction as a club.

• Sponsored links:

• If Jackson contract remit was to finish no lower than 8th, then surely he would have know his contract wouldn’t be renewed or that being a possibility and therefore he’d be out of a job.

So maybe he knew Sunday evening and was just being diplomatic?
  • Redrobo said:
    So the guy that owns us, has been as honest and enthusiastic as possible & actually pumped money into us, along with making big managerial decisions, attends games despite living overseas and is extremely engaging with our fanbase isn’t Charlton? Right-o. What a waste of bandwidth 
    Everyone is agreed that last summer’s recruitment was too little too late, although Dobbo, Clair and Lavelle have done well. Big Mac looked a good signing and may look better behind a competent defence.
    I thought the January window was good with our two permanent signings. I am confident that our recruitment team is a lot better than last summer and whatever any of us think about JJ, he at least demonstrated that we need a lot more quality players in.

Using the words of Seriously Red here 

Let’s see where we are next May 
  • Only TS and JJ know what conversations were held during the season and what expectations were. 

It’s impossible fir us to know if the sacking was handled well in the circumstances given it’s never an easy thing for either party. 
  • shirty5 said:
    Redrobo said:

Using the words of Seriously Red here 

Let’s see where we are next May 
    By all means, but I have said that I expect to spend two seasons more in this shit league.
  • Redrobo said:
    thenewbie said:
    Redrobo said:
    The future looks good.

More coaches
    Better fan engagement 
    Full time ladies team
    Training ground is really not improving. Apparently the gym is a disgrace
  • Let's see where we are in a fortnight or so and see if the immediate search to replace JJ has drawn to its conclusion. We've not even got Mrs Luzon to give us a clue on this one. 
  • Redrobo said:
    thenewbie said:
    Redrobo said:
    The future looks good.

More coaches
    Better fan engagement 
    Full time ladies team
    Training ground is really not improving. Apparently the gym is a disgrace
    In the short term we have swapped the academy and first team buildings. I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't ideal, but we've done it as part of the approach to Cat1
  • Redrobo said:
    thenewbie said:
    Redrobo said:
    The future looks good.

More coaches
    Better fan engagement 
    Full time ladies team
    Yeah, but what else has he done for us...
    he's going to build an aquaduct at Sparrows Lane!