Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: AFC Wimbledon v Charlton Athletic | Tuesday 5 April 2022

We got off the marks with a shock-and-awe assault that lasted twenty minutes before AFC Wimbledon found a way out of their own half. We fashioned a few chances, but none that bothered the back of the net. The tempo of the game slowed and Wimbledon found a bit of a footing, but nothing that troubled Charlton. The half ended nil nil, with Charlton largely in control. Wimbledon looked every bit as poor as their twenty-ish game winless streak suggests.

In the second half, Charlton took a bit of time to warm up. On about seventy minutes (someone fact check me) Lavelle pulled up injured, forcing a change.

Jacko sent Innis on.
The referee sent him off.
The less said, the better.

Then, with only 9 men, Matthews broke free down the right. He pushed and pushed and just when he looked like he’d waited to long, he put a beauty of a cross over to find Stockley who headed home masterfully. 0-1 Charlton.

On 86 minutes, give or take, Wimbledon found the back of the net so save their blushes. After a series of corners, a short clearance was picked up about twenty-two yards out and sent back in to find the head of the oncoming attacker. 

We’ll take the point, but the story of the season is this: you can’t continually shoot yourself in the foot. We must have no toes left.

Back to back, absolutely mad red cards. And Lavelle’s injury to his shoulder will likely keep him out.

Wimbledon 1 Charlton 1

Comments

• Can't hold on to games, I get we had 10 men, but we must concede more than any other team in the last 10 mins of matches
  • Excellent point. 

AFC are tough on a cold Tuesday night.

I can't think of any other clichés.
  • We drew.

I sold my ticket as I'm away and didn't watch it.

Ten men, we only had ten men
  • Shame I have to say this, but I really cant wait for the F/T whistle at Ipswich

Have barely reacted to the last two goals that have gone in for us - Feel nothing when the opposition score.

Nights like this make me question if its worth me getting my 25th season ticket next year. Ironically probably will as have this nagging feeling that the year I give it all up, I'll miss something special.

Dont even have the prospect of the World Cup to look forward to in a month or two, thanks FIFA!!
    It's the hope that kills you.

• Sponsored links:

• It would've been more fun watching @mistrollingin62 dig his allotment in the dark

• edited April 2022
    Get rid of them all. I'd swap them all for anything Millwall and Palace have to offer, such is my contempt for this squad.

On 2nd thoughts Dobson and Stockley for their efforts can stay. 
  • Awful. 
  • Two keys points of the game revolved around Lavelle. The challenge that downed him in the first half disrupted our momentum. Then his injury made room for Innis. If Lavelle is injured for any length of time I’m convinced we’re jinxed. 
    Just don’t know what to make of this team or the future. 

• Just when you don’t think it can get any worse,  we churn out something like that.

Though I actually quiet enjoyed it when we went down to 10 men as it made the game a more exciting watch at least.

I really don’t know where we go from here. I just can’t see how bringing in 6 - 8 better players really changes anything under this coaching set up.
  • Solidgone said:
    Awful. 
    And that's the highlight of tonight's match.
  • Shame I have to say this, but I really cant wait for the F/T whistle at Ipswich

Have barely reacted to the last two goals that have gone in for us - Feel nothing when the opposition score.

Nights like this make me question if its worth me getting my 25th season ticket next year. Ironically probably will as have this nagging feeling that the year I give it all up, I'll miss something special.

Dont even have the prospect of the World Cup to look forward to in a month or two, thanks FIFA!!
    It's the hope that kills you.

I lost all hope in this side ages ago 
  • Sponsored links:

• How did JFC do? I’ll be honest I gave up watching this “team” weeks ago. Literally not bothered by the scores or how we play at this point which is sad. 
    Problem is, I don’t even think it’s just this season I’m worried about…I honestly can’t see how a club with such obvious systemic problems can just turn it around over a summer. 
    The same as every other person who ends playing in an ‘attacking’ midfield position - basically not much.

It was not through lack of trying or ability I’m sure. But he spent much of the game either deep next to Dobson, at left back pinging diagonals, or in the left forward channel where all our midfielders who play there end up, with no really ability to affect the game because of lack of any options.

• Sorry Jacko, you ain't got a clue and with the 2 or 3 signings we will scrape the barrel with, you won't next season either. 
  • Jacko looked totally pissed off in the post match interview, he seems to have aged 10 years in a few months as manager, really hacked off with Innis, and i wonder if he may be having second thoughts himself with all this manager stuff, does he really have the will to carry on, i wonder..
  • edited April 2022
    Croydon said:
    I've got absolutely no interest in watching a side next season that has Jackson in charge. 
    I’m sorry to say that I agree. That tonight was our true first eleven, and it was awful. Then throw in the indiscipline unprofessional attitude of Gilbey and Inniss and you really wonder about his quality as a leader.  Time to rethink the entire thing from top to bottom. 

• No money spent by me on ST's until there is a big change in recruitment. 

It comes to something when people don't even turn up for the free seats. Big problems for Sandgaard's business model of filling the Valley if this is the standard of his product. 
  • 100 mins of dross, 30s of quality. A match neither team deserved to win. 
  • Washington worked hard; they all worked hard but somehow it isn’t enough.