Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Gillingham | Tuesday 15 March 2022

12345679»

Comments

• Aneke, Stockley and Washington you keep. Then you bring a couple in but ones that can compete with them for places. If you are going to play two up front whatever, that has to be a minimum.
    you keep those three, so how many games ? will they play during the season. We would need at least 3 more strikers to cover for injuries and tiredness 
  • First Striker we need to try and find now in the summer, is someone in the Wright-Phillips / Grant mould.

Going to be bloody difficult though!! - Ayoub Assal @ AFC Wimbledon perhaps, or Kabongo Tshimanga from Chesterfield who @Sage has once again recommended on here, both of whom are young, and have potential sell on value too.
  • msomerton said:
    Aneke, Stockley and Washington you keep. Then you bring a couple in but ones that can compete with them for places. If you are going to play two up front whatever, that has to be a minimum.
    you keep those three, so how many games ? will they play during the season. We would need at least 3 more strikers to cover for injuries and tiredness 
    Possibly. The less you have the more risk you take but there is an issue about keeping players happy too.
  • First Striker we need to try and find now in the summer, is someone in the Wright-Phillips / Grant mould.

Going to be bloody difficult though!! - Ayoub Assal @ AFC Wimbledon perhaps, or Kabongo Tshimanga from Chesterfield who @Sage has once again recommended on here, both of whom are young, and have potential sell on value too.
    Tshimanga would be a good signing with potential to grow and score some crucial goals. He’s quick, strong, and powerful.

Only problem is he’s currently out after having surgery from a fractured leg and dislocated ankle. A poor challenge last month caused him to be out for a while. Don’t know the timescale but he’d have to be fit for July if we actually were interested. 
  • cabbles said:
    Chunes said:
    Got no problem with Gilbey being a squad player but as other posters have said before, part of our problem over the past few season is having too many players who are squad standard and too few standouts.
    Exactly.  And then we go through this mental arithmetic of trying talk up their ability when it probably isn’t good enough 
    I actually disagree with that. I think our problem is having too many who are not good enough in reserve. Whether Gilbey is a squad player or first team player will be down to him largely but I wouldn't say he wasn't good enough to stake his claim and that is what we should be looking for as part of our squad.

My reaction was to posts recently saying we should get rid which I think would be a mistake.
    I think he’s someone who should start a max of 10-15 games.  I don’t mind having him in that capacity and being used how Ben Reeves was during the season we went up, but I have a feeling he’ll be seeing more like 20-30 games plus next year.  Even with better players around him, if he’s starting that many, I can’t see us going up.

Additionally I highly doubt he’d be happy to play that role which I would fully understand.  Regular starter for MK Dons, mostly regular starter here this season and after Adkins took over last season.  I would imagine he definitely sees himself as one of our core players to build the team around 

That’s my personal disconnect with him.  I don’t think he makes up a core group of players to build a team around 
  • It is surely up to the player to show he is worth a place than for us to decide how many games he will play.  That is why you need a decent squad. The point is, he can be part of that and not somebody we should be losing when there are lot we should be. Morgan for one.
  • edited March 2022
    The same thing applies. Surely we should be trying to find better and then it is up to the players to earn their places, not us predetermining it. Stockley is not an issue in League 1 so the conversation should surely not be about him or Washington or indeed Aneke, but who we can bring in. I can't see us not going for a player because we think he is better than Stockley in all honesty. Maybe because we can't afford him more like.
  • edited March 2022
    I think everyone is making the same point but coming at it from different angles.

Gilbey is worth keeping. There are bigger problems in our squad.

That said, we shouldn't be looking to get rid either. He's plenty good enough for a promotion chasing squad.

I don't think anyone wants to see him starting 46 games next season.
  • edited March 2022
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    Chunes said:
    Got no problem with Gilbey being a squad player but as other posters have said before, part of our problem over the past few season is having too many players who are squad standard and too few standouts.
    Exactly.  And then we go through this mental arithmetic of trying talk up their ability when it probably isn’t good enough 
    I actually disagree with that. I think our problem is having too many who are not good enough in reserve. Whether Gilbey is a squad player or first team player will be down to him largely but I wouldn't say he wasn't good enough to stake his claim and that is what we should be looking for as part of our squad.

My reaction was to posts recently saying we should get rid which I think would be a mistake.
    I think he’s someone who should start a max of 10-15 games.  I don’t mind having him in that capacity and being used how Ben Reeves was during the season we went up, but I have a feeling he’ll be seeing more like 20-30 games plus next year.  Even with better players around him, if he’s starting that many, I can’t see us going up.

Additionally I highly doubt he’d be happy to play that role which I would fully understand.  Regular starter for MK Dons, mostly regular starter here this season and after Adkins took over last season.  I would imagine he definitely sees himself as one of our core players to build the team around 

That’s my personal disconnect with him.  I don’t think he makes up a core group of players to build a team around 
    Reeves played 32 games BTW.

I think, especially when I season ends on the play offs, people look back at that as that seasons team. 

I don't think we ever started that starting 11 before or after.  I don't even think the 11 that ended the match had ever all played together before either.

I look at Powell's team and its actually quite surprising how many games "others" actually played. 

Remember the great Leeds United team of the 70s only actually played together once.  
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 2022
    Leuth said:
    I'd also say that Stockley isn't a player we should be building our team around if we want to go up, but I'm not sure some of you are ready for that conversation 
    I’d agree with this.
  • Leuth said:
    I'd also say that Stockley isn't a player we should be building our team around if we want to go up, but I'm not sure some of you are ready for that conversation 
    Stockley is going to be our next RCB! You know it makes sense :)
  • It is surely up to the player to show he is worth a place than for us to decide how many games he will play.  That is why you need a decent squad. The point is, he can be part of that and not somebody we should be losing when there are lot we should be. Morgan for one.
    Of course it’s up to the player.  But in the same way you’re offering an opinion you think he’s capable, I’m saying I don’t think he is and hopefully imo, he’ll be used sparingly next season.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    Chunes said:

I think, especially when I season ends on the play offs, people look back at that as that seasons team. 

I don't think we ever started that starting 11 before or after.  I don't even think the 11 that ended the match had ever all played together before either.

I look at Powell's team and its actually quite surprising how many games "others" actually played. 

Remember the great Leeds United team of the 70s only actually played together once.  
    Bloody hell - why have you got to spoil my comparison with the actual statistics ;-)

okay, Mark Marshall 
  • Leuth said:
    Playing two up front and Aneke being in the squad means we need five strikers. I think everyone would agree Stockley is no Kermorgant or Taylor, does anyone think he's a player to build a team around? Despite that he's good enough to play a big part in a promotion side.
  • Leuth said:
    I’ve been saying that for a while. He’s ok at this level if we want to play a certain way but if our ambitions are onwards and upwards then we have to find better. Same applies to Washington. Sorry, I know we miss them but they are bang average league 1 players (like 90% of our current side)
  • Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    Playing two up front and Aneke being in the squad means we need five strikers. I think everyone would agree Stockley is no Kermorgant or Taylor, does anyone think he's a player to build a team around? Despite that he's good enough to play a big part in a promotion side.
    The problem is, if you're not building a team around him, he's not really an explosive impact player in the way that Aneke is. I'd agree that I would want two first choice strikers brought in, tenacious and mobile, if we're looking for promotion. Aneke, Stockley and Innis to come off the bench as a front 3 if we're trailing in the last 10 mins :wink:
  • Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    The problem is, if you're not building a team around him, he's not really an explosive impact player in the way that Aneke is. I'd agree that I would want two first choice strikers brought in, tenacious and mobile, if we're looking for promotion. Aneke, Stockley and Innis to come off the bench as a front 3 if we're trailing in the last 10 mins :wink:
    I’m sorry I can’t have Aneke being described as an explosive impact player, that’s just bollox!!🙄😂🤷🏻‍♂️
  • paulfox said:
    Scoham said:
    Leuth said:
    I’m sorry I can’t have Aneke being described as an explosive impact player, that’s just bollox!!🙄😂🤷🏻‍♂️
    Thats exaclty what he is.
  • Leuth said:
    I’ve been saying that for a while. He’s ok at this level if we want to play a certain way but if our ambitions are onwards and upwards then we have to find better. Same applies to Washington. Sorry, I know we miss them but they are bang average league 1 players (like 90% of our current side)
    You don’t need 11 top L1 players to be promoted, either could play fairly regularly in a stronger team. Not every regular in Powell and Bowyer’s sides made the step up to the Championship. We’re not realistically going to replace everyone but we don’t need to.
  • Sponsored links:

• cabbles said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    cabbles said:
    cabbles said:
    Chunes said:

Bloody hell - why have you got to spoil my comparison with the actual statistics ;-)

okay, Mark Marshall 
    More appearces than Pearce (in all competitions) :p
  • IF Jackson remains in post we need Jackson to decide on the future of his players. He should be able to keep/sell/release who he thinks is right. 

IF Jackson is removed from post I would argue that the new manager should be funded to exactly the above. 

In both instances, we need to start acting soon.