Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Gillingham | Tuesday 15 March 2022

Comments

• A very pleasing first half, comfortably in control, apart from dodgy defending during the Gills first attack. Then we lost composure in the second half and became very panicky at times. Gills didn't give up but were pretty crap. They had one chance to score but thankfully it was blazed over the bar. Not sure why Harris thought they deserved a point. It was pleasing to see Mac making a couple of catches. Robert Lee was such a sublime player. Neither of his kids are anywhere near as good as him. Olly is better than Elliot imo. Not sure if we would want to entice any of their players to the Valley next year. At least I can go to bed with a smile on my face tonight.
  • edited March 2022
    Alex Gilbey.

We were still pretty shite but a better level of shite.

We, for the most part, looked like a team that knew what it was doing and not a bunch of people strolling around the pitch, small passages of play and movement here and there. We've progressed to being able to play 70 minutes looking competent rather than 20. Gills helped a lot by being complete wank though.

Stockley and Washington on the pitch together makes a massive difference, not necessarily because they're top quality players, but they cover a lot of the teams failings. Stockley aiding defence and being a battler, Washington running himself into the ground.

Further away from relegation and some decent breathing space. Still plenty of work to do going forwards though, absolutely nowhere near progressing to being a top 2 team yet.

Alex Gilbey.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    It's why unlike some I like Gilbey. He gets the chances even though he misses too many. Another player doesn't get them. Sort that out and he will score more and his energy helps us.
    For some reason Gilbey seems to play much better when Washington is in the team. 

The worrying thing is how much better everyone plays when Washington plays.  He isn't THAT good. 
    Its because you can aim for the goal, yet hit the corner flag and Washington will still run for it.

He'll more often or not get to it too, so he'll make it look as though its been done deliberately.
     And still picked for international duty, on a regular basis
  • Results elsewhere all went for us tonight.
  • Huh, that showed Neil bloody Harris! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Thought we were as bad as we have been recently but Gillingham are dreadful so even when, in the second half, we desperately attempted to press the self implode button with Lee, Dobson and others giving the ball away so cheaply I'm the middle to set up their counter attacks, they couldn't capitalise.

3 points, near enough safe. Win one more and we can experiment with some kids and different formations and start planning to blow this league away next season.
  • Tonight was never going to be an exhibition of the beautiful game - we were always going to have to grind it out - well done to the players for doing that

Stand outs - CBT, Dobson, Gilbey and Fraser

Why Fraser - well it was not a game he was going to be able to display his skills to full effect, but he hung in there and put a shift in - it was noticeable that when Lee replaced him, our midfield melted and we lost control 

Lee was dreadful - I think his first 5 or 6 ‘passes’ he gave the ball away, although he did well at the end to help count the time down

No idea what the trouble in the away end was all about, it was getting quite tasty though

I went by car - be interested to hear what it was like at Charlton station and on the train post match ?
    I so agree about Elilot Lee. He was awful after coming on, constantly giving the ball away and the reasonably comfortable control we had had of midfield just disappeared after his appearance.

I know it will upset his dad if we don't sign him but surely there must be better alternatives to him out there. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    It's why unlike some I like Gilbey. He gets the chances even though he misses too many. Another player doesn't get them. Sort that out and he will score more and his energy helps us.
    For some reason Gilbey seems to play much better when Washington is in the team. 

The worrying thing is how much better everyone plays when Washington plays.  He isn't THAT good. 
    Yet he is always picked for international duty. Not bad for a Div One player
  • Three points and a clean sheet - that`s good enough for me.
  • PWR. We won and that is what really matters given I think it ends the spectre of relegation. An improved performance against a poor Gills side who I thought were a little insipid for this type of game.

Most of their breaks into our half were a result of us giving the ball away by being sloppy in possession  or choosing the wrong pass.

CBT our best player. Thought Fraser did some good things and actually did some of the dirtier side more than I thought he would. We looked poorer without him. Hoping his knock isnt too serious as Lee as a replacement was not as good and continues to frustrate. Washingtons running always a nuisance. Lavelle gave a proper no nonsense defensive performance.

Oliver and Tutonda the best players for Gills.
  • edited March 2022
    We were poor, they were worse. 
    At least we battled and deserved the 3 points. 
    Mind you if we'd been playing a top 6 team we would probably have lost.
    Anyway, I don't care, we won and that's all that matters right now. 
  • We weren't great but we scored and could have had more with a bit of luck. And we didn't concede. 
    I think Dobson is going to enjoy playing alongside Fraser. The 2 of them complement Gilbey in that they can do the football and he can do the running. 
    Pleased Mac came for the ball. 
    CBT was good. So was Matthew's 🤷‍♂️
    No one was terrible apart from Elliot Lee. 
    Gills were awful. Still think they might escape the drop but tonight was one of their more winnable games 
  • Sponsored links:

• Its 3 points, CBT was very good for 60 minutes. Really don’t see why Lee gets a game, absolutely terrible from the minute he came on.
  • Interesting comment from Rob Lee after the game, saying that our squad is far too big. He reckoned we need a core of 18-20, whereas he counted 29?

Finally 3-5-2 pays off for JJ. Wonder if he'll stick with it now we've won a game.

To be fair we looked comfortable for much of the game, but Gills were poor and if we didn't need to get out of second gear, it was because they ever got out of first. Harris must be livid. 
  • Controlled the game. 

Should have won by 3 if we could play the killer ball. 
  • Dobson survived the booking and 2 game ban. Seriously surprised how bad they were. Massive sigh of relief and hopefully we back it up with another win Saturday.
  • As has already been said,a welcome 3 points,thought we played some decent stuff in the 1st half,well,decent in comparison to how we've played lately,but that 2nd half was complete turd from both sides. The game just sank to lots of niggly fouls and some real schoolboy mistakes. We were just less shit than gillingham who i thought were on a par with Doncaster for shitness. To be honest i spent the last 10 minutes of the match watching the shenanigans amongst the away fans,looked interesting and you have to wonder where the police were. Anyway,a big 3 points which is all that matters.
  • Interesting comment from Rob Lee after the game, saying that our squad is far too big. He reckoned we need a core of 18-20, whereas he counted 29?

Finally 3-5-2 pays off for JJ. Wonder if he'll stick with it now we've won a game.

To be fair we looked comfortable for much of the game, but Gills were poor and if we didn't need to get out of second gear, it was because they ever got out of first. Harris must be livid. 

With our injury record in recent seasons a squad of 18-20 platers means the youth team players would be on constant standby!

I note that the starting lineup didn't have a single loan player. Anyone know the last time this happened?