Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Gillingham | Tuesday 15 March 2022

Comments

• Three points that I think we actually deserved overall. Not a brilliant performance but maybe one of Curbs' (in) famous "stop the rot"/back to basic wins - should be us safe now but let's try and find some form to see out the season.

The Stockley/Washington double act is by no means a footballing revolution but it does work. CBT looked bright and direct, Fraser looks like a player with a higher ceiling than most on the pitch, albeit his "cramp" will probably be a previously undiagnosed season ending issue - this IS Charlton after all. 
  • Valley11 said:
    Much better. Lavelle looking proper, CBT and Fraser starting to show. Washington and Stockley are crucial. 
    Maybe it has been the injuries and we’re not such an awful side? 
    They made us look half decent at times, not sure it was much more than that. 
  • edited March 2022
    Davo55 said:
    Valley11 said:
    Much better. Lavelle looking proper, CBT and Fraser starting to show. Washington and Stockley are crucial. 
    Maybe it has been the injuries and we’re not such an awful side? 
    I like Lavelle but I thought he was well off the pace for much of the game tonight. He was consistently beaten in the air by Vadaine Oliver. He really only started looking up to it in the final 20 minutes or so.
    I think Oliver has the best aerial success rate in English football by a distance, so no shame in that. I’d take him as backup for Stockley next season.
  • It's why unlike some I like Gilbey. He gets the chances even though he misses too many. Another player doesn't get them. Sort that out and he will score more and his energy helps us.
    For some reason Gilbey seems to play much better when Washington is in the team. 

The worrying thing is how much better everyone plays when Washington plays.  He isn't THAT good. 
  • Sponsored links:

• It's why unlike some I like Gilbey. He gets the chances even though he misses too many. Another player doesn't get them. Sort that out and he will score more and his energy helps us.
    Agreed. I'd also like to see him come deeper into space to collect. But he had a decent game!
  • Pretty poor game, but Washington, Stockley and CBT were the difference

Lavelle literally didn’t win a single header against their No 19 all night, I’m not having anyone say he looked solid!!!…time and time again he was beaten in the air 
  • edited March 2022
    Leuth said:
    Fumbluff giving CBT and Fraser the worst marks of all of them has triggered me more than Gilbey ever has or ever will 
    It was a typo Harry, I’ve fixed it now :) but Fraser had a nothing game for me
  • Fully deserved scoreline flattered Gillingham who were never really in the game .. CBT was excellent Laville was a man mountain at the back … Fraser had his best game … well
    done guys 
  • edited March 2022
    Pretty poor game, but Washington, Stockley and CBT were the difference

Lavelle literally didn’t win a single header against their No 19 all night, I’m not having anyone say he looked solid!!!…time and time again he was beaten in the air 
    Bit harsh to hold that against him, Oliver has been an absolute monster for most CBs at much better teams/sides than ours to handle. 

• Sponsored links:

• Cafc43v3r said:
    It's why unlike some I like Gilbey. He gets the chances even though he misses too many. Another player doesn't get them. Sort that out and he will score more and his energy helps us.
    For some reason Gilbey seems to play much better when Washington is in the team. 

The worrying thing is how much better everyone plays when Washington plays.  He isn't THAT good. 
    Its because you can aim for the goal, yet hit the corner flag and Washington will still run for it.

He'll more often or not get to it too, so he'll make it look as though its been done deliberately.
    There is that but I think it's more to do with he makes the same run 10 times a game and other people know either where he, or the space, is going to be. 

Twice tonight Stockley no looked played it to where he knew Washington would roughly be running and at least twice Gilbey ran into the space Washington created by making the same run.

I will had there was no reason why he couldn't have made the same runs slightly wider in a front 3.  He isn't necessarily a "between the posts" player. 
  • We did well in first half, really average and scrappy in the second half. Gills were total shite
  • Love Dobbo, but he’s getting way overmarked on the other thread. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    We won but we didn’t play particularly well against a poor team. It’s three points but I can’t get too excited about it. May mean we will finish near the top fourteen which is some achievement.
    And our goal came from their keeper dropping one.... 

We were the better team, just. 
          We were the better team and we won with a clean sheet, if we had a serious striker we would have won 3-0 and would not have to rely on 1-0
    and moments of panic in the second half.
    but very pleased with 3 points and a clean sheet.
    Let’s get another 3 points on Saturday 👍👍👍
  • CBT looked dangerous and Washington/Stockley worked okay up front.
    We put ourselves under pressure with some stupid mistakes.

Deserved to win as Gillingham were even poorer than us.

Elliot Lee is not worth persevering with.

• Take the win, but it was far from convincing. Gills were really poor.