Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Gillingham | Tuesday 15 March 2022

Comments

• As my son said to me, amazed that Harris didn't go for the jugular and press us like every other team in this recent run.
    By sitting back and inviting us on he allowed us to build a little momentum and confidence.
    Still that first goal was crucial.
    That said we were patently the better side in the first half and as has been said Stockley and Washington back together made a big difference as did MOM CBT running at their defence and making things happen.
    Second half was mediocre but we saw out the win which was very much deserved.
    Let's not get carried away though.
    Was that the first time Harris has lost to us?
  • I guess it’s not surprising given the run of 6 defeats in 7 before tonight, but I sit in the west lower, half way up behind the home dug out, and watching Jackson’s body language, it’s not great.

There’s a lot of sitting down or standing with his hands in his pockets.  In the second half it was a bit more animated, but I just couldn’t help but notice it.  I am sure it’s the wretched run we’ve been on, but it didn’t look great.  
  • cabbles said:
    I guess it’s not surprising given the run of 6 defeats in 7 before tonight, but I sit in the west lower, half way up behind the home dug out, and watching Jackson’s body language, it’s not great.

There’s a lot of sitting down or standing with his hands in his pockets.  In the second half it was a bit more animated, but I just couldn’t help but notice it.  I am sure it’s the wretched run we’ve been on, but it didn’t look great.  
    You sit near me then - and yep - his frustration was evident whole game
  • Would like to see the odd ball popped over the top for CBT to run on to. There was acres of space there for much of the game, but I can’t remember anyone trying it.
    Also thought the covered end was nice and noisy in the first half. Was surprised how upbeat the atmosphere was, all things considered. 
  • cabbles said:
    I guess it’s not surprising given the run of 6 defeats in 7 before tonight, but I sit in the west lower, half way up behind the home dug out, and watching Jackson’s body language, it’s not great.

You sit near me then - and yep - his frustration was evident whole game
    The goal and having a lead certainly gave him something to be more focused about, but before we scored, I noticed him sat down on those chairs to right of the dugout as you face the pitch from the west stand, and he got up and I thought, maybe some instructions, some encouragement, but he just walked over to get another bottle of water and sat down again.

It might be nothing, but I think given the run we’ve been on, I’m thinking there should be a bit more.  At 0-0, it’s fine margins (even though Gillingham didn’t really threaten), I think it needs more encouragement, more vocal pushing and cajoling 
  • Sponsored links:

• Not a lot to say. Very poor game of football which was decided by a goal keeping error. Thought CBT didn’t have a great game but his pace alone terrified Gillingham leaving space for Fraser as they had to double up on him. (The formation can work with the correct personnel). Really Impressed by Fraser looks a classy player.

Hate writing this but what a stinker by Lee. Constantly gave the ball away. Horror showing by him. Probably one of the worst cameos I have seen in a long time. 
  • Morboe said:
    It's why unlike some I like Gilbey. He gets the chances even though he misses too many. Another player doesn't get them. Sort that out and he will score more and his energy helps us.
    Agreed. I'd also like to see him come deeper into space to collect. But he had a decent game!
    Totally agree - same for Fraser too - Dobson invariably has to play the ball out wide as there is hardly ever anyone showing for him.
  • Interesting comment from Rob Lee after the game, saying that our squad is far too big. He reckoned we need a core of 18-20, whereas he counted 29?

Finally 3-5-2 pays off for JJ. Wonder if he'll stick with it now we've won a game.

To be fair we looked comfortable for much of the game, but Gills were poor and if we didn't need to get out of second gear, it was because they ever got out of first. Harris must be livid. 
    Well I know one we can cut.
  • Thought Tucker and their left back looked very good tonight?
    The left back caught my eye too, looked a decent player. 
  • As my son said to me, amazed that Harris didn't go for the jugular and press us like every other team in this recent run.

This this this - really surprised a Harris team didn't smell blood and go for it. Looks like Gillingham have their own problems.

Terrible match, but the result was everything. I hope planning has already started for next season.
  • He'd better tell them to shoot then. One of the worst attacking displays I've seen this season. Didn't trouble MacG at all. 
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Would like to see CBT and Jaiyesimi on each side of our midfield/defence.
    Yes......as proper wingers, not wingbacks. 
  • edited March 2022
    Just watched Sky Highlights (it was a short clip  :D) the action directly after our goal @ 33 seconds, matthews chases a loose ball, Gills man challenges at the same time matthews bottles it & jumps out of the tackle  :o Where's bowyer when you need him ?  A welcome victory anyway.
  • Squad that faced Gillingham last night: MacGillivray; Clare, Lavelle, Purrington; Matthews, Fraser, Dobson, Gilbey, Blackett-Taylor; Stockley (c), Washington

With the exception of Matthews, I'd say this is probably our strongest XI. And we managed 1-0 against Gillingham. 

Now I know we have excuses ~ Stocks and Wash are off the pace etc

Anyone that comes into the club this summer MUST be an improvement on this XI. Like A LOT better. 

As JJ has shown in recent weeks,  if this entire XI are not all fit ~ we have nothing in this squad to produce. If we want to be blowing teams away (to sound rather Saandgardian!) next season we need to have the kind of potent strikers that can make goals and finish half chances. The likes of Stockley, Aneke and Washington should be strikers JJ calls on when the good ones are unfit. Both Stockley and Aneke have shown they can't cut it at Championship standard so they can't surely be part of TS's grand longhaul plan for success. 

• Sponsored links:

• Thank god for the home form, its ironically not much better than the away - But when it got shown on the relegation thread that the likes of Gillingham | Morecambe | Lincoln | Shrewsbury all have to visit the Valley means that we should end the season without fearfully looking over our shoulders.

Its another base for Jackson to build upon in the summer, but as shown by the leaky goals away from home, we really need to find a better formula when we step outside of SE7.

I didnt see us on Saturday, and going by the highlights I'm extremely thankful - But after a brief early throw in scare, we got ourselves on the ball and comfortably got ourselves the lead, and the win shortly before full-time.

Gilbey I thought had an excellent match, similar to the Ipswich game at the Valley. But would get so many goals, if he wasnt awful at finishing - You look back at his goal at Sunderland last season, and you realise that the scuffed shot that day, wasnt just a poor attempt, it was a typical attempt from him... As shown on, what was it, something like two attempts before he coolly finished into an empty net.

Fraser too showed calmness on the ball, and whilst we're not seeing anything Hollywood from him as yet, I think the best is still to come - Whilst Elliott Lee came off the bench, and showed that we should smile, shake his hand in the summer, and say: "Thanks, but no thanks". - Blackett-Taylor on the other hand, has returned, showing the form we saw in Portsmouth, and deserves to be a squad player at the very least next term

The message is clear though, keep Stockley / Washington fit and we stand a chance.

I imagine many saw it as a typical whinging soundbite from Jackson when he bemoaned their absence in a recent game - The stats dont lie though, thats the seventh game they've started under him now where we've come away with points.

Hopefully we can make it game eight on Saturday.
    That could be both good and bad.

Good in that we're far more likely to pick up some wins and therefore finish further up the table.

Bad in that i hope a few end of season wins against the lower sides doesn't give Sandgaard and co false hope that we're only 3-4 signings away from building a promotion side.

When all is said and done we're still pretty average and miles away from being a top 6 side.
  • Lavelle came of age. He is a future captain. Cory was very good and was the main player taking shots from which the goal came. Washington makes such a difference and Jackson must be pleased to have these players on the pitch. It helped that we were playing Gillingham but even so I fancy us for a win on Saturday so long as he keeps the same team and does NOT bring on Elliot Lee who I thought made us worse. Fraser is such a better player.
  • A big win as IMHO it puts any relegation fears to bed. Four of the bottom eight won’t get past us now even if we don’t get another point (which we will). Also nice to have a rest from the wrist slitting. However, it was Gillingham who are truly shocking and, with the notable exception of CBT who has given himself a glimmer of hope should he keep this up for the next few games, last night changes nothing about my views on the retained list for next year and our need for a general clear out. 
  • Couldn’t watch the full game, relieved to see we won. An important 3 points when a Gillingham win would have put them only 4 points behind us. Hopefully being almost safe means contract talks with those JJ wants to keep can really start to progress.

Going to be interesting to see if the loanees feature much in these last 9 games after none of them started last night. I can’t see us making any of them permanent, so I expect they’ll only start when we need to rest players.
  • Was Famewo still ill? 
  • Both our last two wins have come with CBT playing I think. 

We always seem to be reliant on our person to do most of our attacking work. A shame as when JJ took over I was so impressed with our passing, pressing and patterns put together.