Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Gillingham | Tuesday 15 March 2022

Comments

• Dizzle said:
    I know it got flagged offside in the end but Clare’s last ditch recovery tackle was superb 👏🏼 Got a stand and a clap from me and I rarely do that for defensive play
    It really was a great tackle. Innis-esq.  The chance came from a woeful Dobson ball straight to their player in the middle of the park ga Ving them a break away and we must cut out that sort of nonsense.
  • any explanation for the enormous number of police around the Valley yesterday? I know its one of the 2 most "local" derbys we have in the fixture list, but it seemed excessive.
    Are Gills known for trouble on their travels?
  • any explanation for the enormous number of police around the Valley yesterday? I know its one of the 2 most "local" derbys we have in the fixture list, but it seemed excessive.
    Police being police for what they deem a risk game.

They closed off two streets for us when we were down at their place at the start of the season. 
    They were quite vocal coming out of the station around 6.30 "f**k of Charlton etc" and "Charlton get battered everywhere they go".

Was quite funny watching. Like a little day out for some little kids from a little world.
  • edited March 2022
    any explanation for the enormous number of police around the Valley yesterday? I know its one of the 2 most "local" derbys we have in the fixture list, but it seemed excessive.
    Apparently they turned up to the Royal Oak at midday and that caused tension throughout the day. Various yoof groups coming up from that hole. Led to police calling in extra numbers 

• I think its fair to say that J J may have the nucleus of our best 11,at last, out of a very average bunch. If it is prudent practice, not to change a winning team .we can expect the same 11 (Or similar) to start next Saturday----  Because we can establish that  the partnership of Stockley & Washington are back at last, It augers well that Chucks Anakie, can also slot in there somewhere ,too, when fit. Even if as an impact player off the bench--- C B T was great, We just need a similar effect ,from the other wing--- Glad to see MacG come out for the easier balls .I felt a bit sorry for the Gills keeper spilling, but it looked like the ball bobbled a bit, But driven hard, it can be a nightmare for a keeper ,at times
  • Sponsored links:

• At least Williams regularly won us free kicks.
    I know we’re stuck with him long term, but last night I thought Fraser lacked bottle when it came to physical challenges.
  • seth plum said:
    At least Williams regularly won us free kicks.
    I know we’re stuck with him long term, but last night I thought Fraser lacked bottle when it came to physical challenges.
    Thought he did well to get stuck in a handful of occasions.

Seem to remember reading when we signed Fraser, we had to be conscious that he wasnt going to be a very physical Midfielder and he almost needed someone to protect him... Think the guy from the Not the Top 20 podcast was saying that its potentially the reason, why he hasn't already gone to a Championship club.
  • seth plum said:
    I don't think that we should be expecting him to be a tough scrappy type of midfielder honestly. His value is much more in what he can offer on the ball and keeping possession rather than being a Dobson style fighter. 
  • mendonca said:
    Sounds like Lee had an absolute stinker when he came on. All but completes his loan spell for us. Shame how things tapered off. I really thought he would be a huge coup for years to come.
    He was dreadful - as @JamesSeed said earlier in this thread - he had the ball sort of edge of their box on left hand side - CBT was to his left, unmarked, and had space to run into - CBT spent the whole game having their right back (and his replacement) on toast - a simple side pass would have set CBT away, and a low cross into their area would (hopefully) have caused havoc - but Lee attempts a ‘Hollywood’ chip to Washington, who had his back to goal and a great big centre back breathing down his neck - the result was that they cleared, and Gills break forward 

Lee spent the match watching CBT roast their defence - the Gills defence shat themselves whenever he was on the ball

If it’s obvious to me (and others) what the right pass was, how is it not obvious to a professional footballer 
    What you describe is totally accurate from my memory and disappointing, but he did tussle by the corner flag running down injury time for what seemed like 60-90secs of 6 mins added time. Lets be fair, he tried but made some (one?) poor choice(s). We did seem to lose control bit when he was introduced.
  • Nicked this from Vital Gillingham

Two keys to the game:
    Blacket-Taylor too hot to handle,
    Dahlberg not able to handle

Seems reasonable.
  • That was a very important win that we desperately needed. I don't think we played great, but Gillingham were very poor. Pleased that we didn't see Leko (other than warming up), but disappointed that Matthews was playing - thought he was very poor. Not sure what has happened to Lee - he is really struggling (he was very poor yesterday). Our whole team performance noticeably dropped when he replaced Fraser. There were still too many players playing out of position for my liking, but because Gillingham were so poor, we got away with it. The CBT/Purrington partnership on the left looked much, much better than the Matthews/Clare partnership on the right. For me, DJ is a better option than Matthews.
  • mendonca said:
    Sounds like Lee had an absolute stinker when he came on. All but completes his loan spell for us. Shame how things tapered off. I really thought he would be a huge coup for years to come.
    I must be in the minority but I like Lee. At least he tries things & will run with the ball. Be careful what you wish for because if he's not here next season then Nile John might be.
  • seth plum said:

Seem to remember reading when we signed Fraser, we had to be conscious that he wasnt going to be a very physical Midfielder and he almost needed someone to protect him... Think the guy from the Not the Top 20 podcast was saying that its potentially the reason, why he hasn't already gone to a Championship club.
    Which is why I've found it baffling in previous games when we've played Fraser alongside Lee in midfield, leaving Dobson a massive defensive burden behind them. Completely the wrong balance in midfield.
  • Sponsored links:

• thenewbie said:
    seth plum said:
    I don't think that we should be expecting him to be a tough scrappy type of midfielder honestly. His value is much more in what he can offer on the ball and keeping possession rather than being a Dobson style fighter. 
    And last night was never going to be a game where Fraser would be spraying passes around etc - Gills came for the draw, and were there to play horrible negative football, and to snuff out any creativity they could - if Williams had been playing, I think it likely he would have got injured with some of the Gills tackling - that’s why having CBT to run at them and take them on, rather than trying to pass it through them, was vital for us (not that we have been particularly adept of late in terms of a passing game through midfield - hopefully Fraser is the answer to that)
  • mendonca said:
    He was dreadful - as @JamesSeed said earlier in this thread - he had the ball sort of edge of their box on left hand side - CBT was to his left, unmarked, and had space to run into - CBT spent the whole game having their right back (and his replacement) on toast - a simple side pass would have set CBT away, and a low cross into their area would (hopefully) have caused havoc - but Lee attempts a ‘Hollywood’ chip to Washington, who had his back to goal and a great big centre back breathing down his neck - the result was that they cleared, and Gills break forward 

Lee spent the match watching CBT roast their defence - the Gills defence shat themselves whenever he was on the ball

If it’s obvious to me (and others) what the right pass was, how is it not obvious to a professional footballer 
    What you describe is totally accurate from my memory and disappointing, but he did tussle by the corner flag running down injury time for what seemed like 60-90secs of 6 mins added time. Lets be fair, he tried but made some (one?) poor choice(s). We did seem to lose control bit when he was introduced.
    Clearly Lee is playing with no confidence. The Hollywood pass was criminal, it set the tone for rest of the performance as the crowd were straight on his back after that pass.

Even though Fraser isn’t fully fit he’s a huge upgrade on Lee. Especially with how quickly he gets the ball out of feet and puts crosses in. Unlike Lee who really slows the game down.
  • If this was 'much better', it just goes to show how low we had sunk.  IMO Gills were poor, and deserved to lose...but we barely deserved to win.  First half we shaded it but 2nd half a better team would have punished us, &/or luck might have deserted us.

Sure, there were some encouraging signs - I think Fraser is settling in, Lavelle had his best game for us, CBT, Dobbo.  But we lacked guile against an organised side, scored a goal I would be scathing if we'd conceded and just don't have the necessary touch & quality.
  • Posting without reading .. watched the match online as I couldn’t get to the game. Thought we were worth the win, I don’t know what Neil Harris was babbling on about - thought they deserved a point 😳. We won and defended well but we didn’t create too much and looked a little shaky for the last 10mins. What concerns me is, if we concede, have we got enough in the locker to bounce back. I don’t think we have and that’s what needs to be addressed. we don’t create enough clear cut chances. Burton up next … only 9 more matches and I can relax
  • seth plum said:

Which is why I've found it baffling in previous games when we've played Fraser alongside Lee in midfield, leaving Dobson a massive defensive burden behind them. Completely the wrong balance in midfield.
    I think that this has been a fundamental problem over lots of the season - not necessarily the individual players (though they've not all covered themselves in glory) but a really good midfield is frequently better than the sum of its parts. Ours is not.

In Dobson and Fraser I think we have the basis of a solid midfield to build a team around but its not looking like Morgan, Gilbey and Lee are the spark that elevates it. Maybe a fit again JFC would be a good addition but in either case given his fitness woes the Black Box needs to earn its corn pronto over summer. 
  • Fully deserved scoreline flattered Gillingham who were never really in the game .. CBT was excellent Laville was a man mountain at the back … Fraser had his best game … well
    done guys 
    You genuinely can’t have watched it 
    I was there was you ?
  • edited March 2022
    Tonight was never going to be an exhibition of the beautiful game - we were always going to have to grind it out - well done to the players for doing that

Stand outs - CBT, Dobson, Gilbey and Fraser

Why Fraser - well it was not a game he was going to be able to display his skills to full effect, but he hung in there and put a shift in - it was noticeable that when Lee replaced him, our midfield melted and we lost control 

Lee was dreadful - I think his first 5 or 6 ‘passes’ he gave the ball away, although he did well at the end to help count the time down

No idea what the trouble in the away end was all about, it was getting quite tasty though

I went by car - be interested to hear what it was like at Charlton station and on the train post match ?
    There was a bit of argy bargy up Floyd road and at the station on the Dartford line side. The gates to the platform were closed and appeared to be some fisticuffs. The police were in quickly to grab a few people and no doubt it was a late night for some.

The game itself was terrible two poor sides, hopefully though that 3 points means any relegation fears can be forgotten.

it’s going to have to be a very busy summer if we are going to be aiming for play offs let alone automatic promotion we aren’t good enough. 

• thenewbie said:
    Pretty poor game, but Washington, Stockley and CBT were the difference

Lavelle literally didn’t win a single header against their No 19 all night, I’m not having anyone say he looked solid!!!…time and time again he was beaten in the air 
    Bit harsh to hold that against him, Oliver has been an absolute monster for most CBs at much better teams/sides than ours to handle. 

Agree Newbie. Lavelle marshalled the backline and was barking orders all night. Oliver was strong in the air but never looked like scoring.
  • mendonca said:
    I must be in the minority but I like Lee. At least he tries things & will run with the ball. Be careful what you wish for because if he's not here next season then Nile John might be.
    I don't think you're in the minority for liking Lee. But you might be in the minority if don't think he's struggled to contribute much since Norwich onwards (I'd say).

• thenewbie said:
    Pretty poor game, but Washington, Stockley and CBT were the difference

Lavelle literally didn’t win a single header against their No 19 all night, I’m not having anyone say he looked solid!!!…time and time again he was beaten in the air 
    Bit harsh to hold that against him, Oliver has been an absolute monster for most CBs at much better teams/sides than ours to handle. 

Agree Newbie. Lavelle marshalled the backline and was barking orders all night. Oliver was strong in the air but never looked like scoring.
    If Gillingham had played all game like they did for the last 20, I'm sure Oliver would have had chances. 

Lavelle is indeed very vocal, but then he was really loud at Accrington and we were rubbish at the back then.