Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Post-match Thread: Charlton Athletic v Gillingham | Tuesday 15 March 2022

Comments

• thenewbie said:
    seth plum said:
    At least Williams regularly won us free kicks.
    I know we’re stuck with him long term, but last night I thought Fraser lacked bottle when it came to physical challenges.
    Thought he did well to get stuck in a handful of occasions.

Seem to remember reading when we signed Fraser, we had to be conscious that he wasnt going to be a very physical Midfielder and he almost needed someone to protect him... Think the guy from the Not the Top 20 podcast was saying that its potentially the reason, why he hasn't already gone to a Championship club.
    Which is why I've found it baffling in previous games when we've played Fraser alongside Lee in midfield, leaving Dobson a massive defensive burden behind them. Completely the wrong balance in midfield.
    I think that this has been a fundamental problem over lots of the season - not necessarily the individual players (though they've not all covered themselves in glory) but a really good midfield is frequently better than the sum of its parts. Ours is not.

In Dobson and Fraser I think we have the basis of a solid midfield to build a team around but its not looking like Morgan, Gilbey and Lee are the spark that elevates it. Maybe a fit again JFC would be a good addition but in either case given his fitness woes the Black Box needs to earn its corn pronto over summer. 
    This hasn't only been the problem this season, it was the most significant problem last season as well. 

All our central midfield players (about 20) in the last 18 months have some obvious strengths but some massive weaknesses.  Even Dobson.  JFC is the most rounded of the lot but he isn't brilliant at anything.

I think it is symbolic of most of our problems we have signed loads of players but have never signed all the parts of a team. 
  • A good performance in the circumstances. Washington, Stockley, Lavelle, Dobson, and particularly B-T Stand outs. 
    Gilbey got in the box more last night than the last month. Two good chances and netted the third.
    Gives JJ something to build on for Saturday.
  • I'm not getting too excited about this win. Only Gillingham FFS.  MAJOR clear out and Player upgrades needed in order to get out of this shit division. 
  • Chunes said:
    I don't think the club get enough credit for CBT. A player released by Tranmere, I'm surprised he was even on their radar and they got some criticism for the signing initially. He's got a lot of potential.
    Didn't he arrange it all himself, including paying his own expenses?

He deserves a lot of credit as well because he could probably make a living in the national league on talent alone or have drifted out the game completely. 
  • What did Dj do so wrong v Sunderland, that got him dropped? (or is he injured?) 

I thought he defended really well in that game....probably the best defensive performance he's given for the club. Weird. 
  • Simonsen said:
    What did Dj do so wrong v Sunderland, that got him dropped? (or is he injured?) 

I thought he defended really well in that game....probably the best defensive performance he's given for the club. Weird. 
    Probably because Jackson wanted to utilise Blackett-Taylor tonight, wonder if we'll see DJ back on Saturday

Jackson has a habit of playing a defensive Wing-Back one side, and an attacking one the other
  • Sponsored links:

• ross1 said:
    That poxy song is too loud , where I am halfway lower west , I couldn’t hear any of the Harris what’s the score and the covered end chanting away cos that tunes being banged out at a gazillion decibels 
  • I thought the scene was set for victory after the fantastic light display top right of the West Stand. Well done!
  • I thought the quality on display last night was poor on both sides. The only positive is we won and are 10 clear of relegation. 
  • Chunes said:
    I don't think the club get enough credit for CBT. A player released by Tranmere, I'm surprised he was even on their radar and they got some criticism for the signing initially. He's got a lot of potential.
    He has yes. I'll hold my hands up and admit i wasn't confident he'd do well in the role, but it makes a big difference when you have someone with a bit of pace who is willing to actually get forward. I just hope he can build on it, as seemingly his main problem is consistency.
  • ross1 said:
    A shame he didn't know how to get a response from them in any of the previous 8 games.
  • Sponsored links:

• DJ instead of matthews against burton. I think we have enough to get a result again. We’re not going down
  • Happy for the win finally. As usual though, we're reliant on one player providing a spark that teams at this level can't deal with rather than being a cohesive unit. We won this one because CBT is incredibly fast, decent on the ball and very positive in his attacking play, to the point where sometimes I wonder if he'll ever pass. It creates mess though, and mess creates opportunities. He struggles with end product but that actually makes him quite well-suited to being a WB in this set-up, though he's a total disasterpiece in his defending sometimes so better teams will exploit him. This is us though. CBT's pace, Stockley's galooting, Washington's running, Aneke's bulldozing. If we don't have one of thoe things turned up to 11 on the day then we don't have anything and we need to develop our overall plan beyond 'hope one player is feeling good today'. It worked yesterday though, and that was enough.
    Gilbey has good attributes but he doesn't know how to be a good footballer. He has absolutely no confidence, so if the team is playing well and on a good run, and he's feeling ok he'll contribute well to a decent side. If the team are struggling and he's feeling the pressure though he offers nothing. Gilbey won't ever be a player who drags you through a tough game, you need to be playing well and then he'll be a part of that. Useful when things are going well but it's no wonder he's struggled this season. Elliot Lee I just feel bad for. He's a 10 who can play as a support striker, and he's spent his whole time under Jackson playing as a central midfielder. We think it's been tough for our wingers having to play at WB but it's a whole different set of responsibilities for Lee and I don't think they really suit him. He's not popping up in pockets of space in the final third and moving the ball on to advanced players, he's chasing round after the play and getting the ball on the half-turn in his own half. That suits some players, but not him. He looked like our best player in Adkins' 4231 where he was in his proper position, but in this midfield he's required to be deep enough to help out the other two and it's not his game. He's trying but we're not using him properly and in the future we'll need a player who can link with the strikers without being out of place in a midfield 3. Lee's confidence has dropped the longer he's played in this spot to the point where we've broken him, and it's a shame.
    I think Lee has played up front a couple of times.
  • any explanation for the enormous number of police around the Valley yesterday? I know its one of the 2 most "local" derbys we have in the fixture list, but it seemed excessive.
    Are Gills known for trouble on their travels?
    There was trouble on Charlton Church Lane by the station after the game.
  • Both Stockley and Washington could have got red cards last night. Washington in particular was guilty of holding the ball and throwing it after fouls/going out for throw ins. Then got involved in "handbags" near the touch line in the final minutes.

Disciplined performances needed for the rest of the season.
  • MacG: made the few saves he should, caught a couple of crosses yay!! kicking is awful
    Clare: erratic defensively, keen to gallop forward, much of his passing was dreadful
    Lavelle: slow, doesn't shirk a challenge but won very little in the air against Gill's front lump, passing is ropey
    Purrington: fairly quiet night as Gills were so unambitious/pony, if he's still a preferred option as a left CH we're still terribly short of quality
    Dobson: not his best night for a while, yet he's still our equal best player, yet another midfield lineup for him to cover for
    Matthews: played a long way forward for much of the game but has nothing at all going forward - more JJ weirdness, AM ain't very good overall
    Gilbey: quiet start, grew into it a bit as Gill's quality & ambition remained absent, in the right place at the right time, still running at the end
    Fraser: lightweight and pulling his punches, is he actually fit? he expired early for one who'd done so little
    B-T: our biggest threat by miles, purely from pace and an inclination to move forward, does he get an assist for the goal?
    Stockley: effervesent, energetic and tireless defending from the front, lacked much service good or bad, he ain't special but we're so much better with him
    Washington: more selfless running decorated with moments of quality, lacked service and he could do with revising the offside rule - telling that JJ risked CW for the full 99 minutes risking him breaking down after his injury rather than telling Leko to run around for 15 or 20 minutes, says much as to what JL actually has to offer
    Lee: a bundle of unfocussed and largely wasted energy until he had a couple minutes trying to be Tony Watt in the corner
    Referee: chinless, prancing muppet with barely any grasp of the game - bang average for the dross rolled out in this division
    Opposition: they're bloody awful and not in any sort of false position - only named 6 subs so maybe they're down to their bare bones of fit players
  • For those who didnt watch on CharltonTV; Fraser got subbed with cramp.
  • I thought the quality on display last night was poor on both sides. The only positive is we won and are 10 clear of relegation. 
    Totally agree. We were better than Gillingham, but still nothing special. The standard of football was poor from both teams. The result should take the pressure off us getting dragged into the relegation battle, so, as you say, that is the thing that matters most.
  • For those who didnt watch on CharltonTV; Fraser got subbed with cramp.
    Was it confirmed on CharltonTV or do they have a CrampCam!?
  • Happy for the win finally. As usual though, we're reliant on one player providing a spark that teams at this level can't deal with rather than being a cohesive unit. We won this one because CBT is incredibly fast, decent on the ball and very positive in his attacking play, to the point where sometimes I wonder if he'll ever pass. It creates mess though, and mess creates opportunities. He struggles with end product but that actually makes him quite well-suited to being a WB in this set-up, though he's a total disasterpiece in his defending sometimes so better teams will exploit him. This is us though. CBT's pace, Stockley's galooting, Washington's running, Aneke's bulldozing. If we don't have one of thoe things turned up to 11 on the day then we don't have anything and we need to develop our overall plan beyond 'hope one player is feeling good today'. It worked yesterday though, and that was enough.
    Gilbey has good attributes but he doesn't know how to be a good footballer. He has absolutely no confidence, so if the team is playing well and on a good run, and he's feeling ok he'll contribute well to a decent side. If the team are struggling and he's feeling the pressure though he offers nothing. Gilbey won't ever be a player who drags you through a tough game, you need to be playing well and then he'll be a part of that. Useful when things are going well but it's no wonder he's struggled this season. Elliot Lee I just feel bad for. He's a 10 who can play as a support striker, and he's spent his whole time under Jackson playing as a central midfielder. We think it's been tough for our wingers having to play at WB but it's a whole different set of responsibilities for Lee and I don't think they really suit him. He's not popping up in pockets of space in the final third and moving the ball on to advanced players, he's chasing round after the play and getting the ball on the half-turn in his own half. That suits some players, but not him. He looked like our best player in Adkins' 4231 where he was in his proper position, but in this midfield he's required to be deep enough to help out the other two and it's not his game. He's trying but we're not using him properly and in the future we'll need a player who can link with the strikers without being out of place in a midfield 3. Lee's confidence has dropped the longer he's played in this spot to the point where we've broken him, and it's a shame.
    I think Lee has played up front a couple of times.
    He has, but generally on a hiding to nothing playing alongside Leko or Burstow with absolutely nothing on, or in a weird set-up alongside Davison where he was neither one thing or the other. He's possibly an ok support striker alongside a complete forward who can bring pace, power and finishing, but he's not going to run off Stockley much. I see him as most similar to Billy Clarke, far enough up to be considered alongside the forwards but never quite a striker