Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard interviewing other managers

Comments

• Options
    Rob said:
    Jacko should get it now on current form. But I can also understand TS holding out a bit. He mentioned in his interview today the inevitable new manager bounce so it’s playing on his mind. Personally I think he’ll wait 5 or 6 more games and then appoint him. I think that’s the best approach and why not? There is no rush really. The next 2 games will be important, show us how we’re really doing. These are rubber meeting the road games. Difficult fixtures against struggling teams coming just after a very grueling home battle. A typical banana skin. Hopefully after those 2 games we’ll see that Jacko can adjust to the grueling season. I think he will and I also think he is the man for the job but I don’t have any problem with Sandgaard waiting it out a bit. He’s not stupid and knows the impact Jacko is currently having. 
    Perhaps JJ and TS already have an agreement in place?
    Just a matter of timing...
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Whilst I agree you don't make hasty decisions, hanging it out as long as it seems he intends to will potentially have a negative effect.

Name me the last experienced manager we had, that had any real decent level of success for us?

I'm not going to list them all, especially through the RD years but IMHO the successful one's over the last 40 years;

Bowyer - zero management experience, but an affinity/history with the club
    Powell -  zero management experience, but an affinity/history with the club
    Curbishley - zero management experience, but an affinity/history with the club
    Lawrence - zero management experience (Caretaker at Plymouth for a few games I think)

Everyone else in-between has either been dire or average/mediocre at best.

The last three successes have been people who know the club, there's a reason for that and even Lenny was a master at what he did with the position the club was in at the time, far better managers on paper, but don't think there was a better manager for Charlton at the time.

Just appoint Jackson, I don't care who else is available, he's the man for this job, right here, right now. Just like Powell when he came in, we need to get back to being Charlton, Jackson and only Jackson is best placed to do that. No disrespect to Powell as I absolutely love him to bits, but I think Jackson has the potential in club management to go much much further.

I agree entirely, in my life time which is half a century Charlton have only been successful with a Charlton man in charge.  Lawrence maybe you could argue not; but his first proper chance was here.

• Options
    Cant wait till we get a better manager at this time for us than Jacko. Come on Ged who is it you really want as manager?
  • Options
    The more wins we get, the more Sandgaard will look like an idiot if does not appoint Jacko as permanent manager of Charlton Athletic football club 
  • Options
    Are there any other positions which Harris could be interested in, other than the 1st team manager role?
    Official club hate figure? 

Annoyingly you tend to have very likeable managers, Harris, Jackett, Rowett etc so wouldn't want him to be in that position as it would be no win for him even if he were to take it.  

Sounds like he was there in a completely unrelated capacity reading subsequent posts, probably scouting for someone or a day out to avoid getting dragged round christmas shopping.
  • Options

Just been sent this. 

Ah - but Mark said 'Harris', not 'Neil Harris'.

I conclude that the lady doth protest too much (in my best Poirot voice).
  • Options
    edited November 2021

Just been sent this. 
    Doogie Howser? 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Heard someone saying after the game Neil Harris was in the directors box today.

Piss poor and hugely disrespectful to Jackson if so.

If he's considering appointing Harris he's got a lot to learn.

Hopefully just unfounded gossip.
    I’ll keep saying it.
    Harris can be seen quite often at The Valley when Wall are away, especially now he’s out of work.
    Plus, he’s actually answered, when questioned, ‘I’m Wall aren’t I’.

But don’t let that get in the way of peoples heads exploding 🙄
    This is a good point actually, i do remember him saying this but can't remember where.

But it does then lead to the question, of all the teams in London why does a Millwall legend come to watch Charlton? I don't imagine Curbs (when out of work) was going regularly to the Den.
    Given the absolutely blinding form we've hit, it's probably worth him (as a manager who may well end up back at this level) watching just from a practical point of view to see if he can pick anything up from it - a new tactic or formational gambit to try himself in the future perhaps. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Just been sent this. 

She is American, its probably a shit answer to a jeopardy question.

The most unpopular person we could employ. 

For two thousand dollars, who is Neil Harris?
  • Options
    I was really cautious, however JJ has demonstrated his potential and this is way more than new manager bounce - something really special is happening. Having dragged his feet sacking Adkins (where would we be if the sacking was made in the last international window?!?) it absolutely beggars belief if other candidates are being interviewed after the last five games.

If TS is serious about appointing another manager he will empty the Valley as quickly as he filled it.
  • Options
    Harris there working for Ipswich 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    bobmunro said:

Just been sent this. 

She is American, its probably a shit answer to a jeopardy question.

The most unpopular person we could employ. 

For two thousand dollars, who is Neil Harris?
    Oh, sorry, the actual answer was Who is Alan Pardew?
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    CH4RLTON said:
    Imagine a club legend getting you out of the shit following piss poor managerial appointment only to not give him the job in favour of Millwall scumbag , that really wouldn't go down well at all
    Never going to happen, but would be bloody funny if it did. 
    It would be a ridiculous appointment for both sets of fans 
    Stranger things have happened. Billy Bonds managing us for one. 

But with the start JJ has made with you, if Danish Dave replaced him with Harris then he would need sectioning. 
    Completely agree.  For Harris, I would sort of understand.  He’s out of work, and similar to Chris Powell for us, at club level, he hasn’t had any success outside of Millwall.  Obviously I don’t know how it ended for him at Millwall as well as you do, but to the best of my recollection, it was perhaps hanging on more through affiliation and reputation than it was managerial ability.

Given the start Jackson’s had, and the fact he’s ex Millwall, you’re talking a catastrophic decision on TS’ part if he went for it, and I don’t think Harris would seriously entertain it either 
  • Options
    If it ain't broke, don't  try and fix it.

In his caretaker capacity, JJ is doing the business. The players have bought in 100%.

The current arrangement is working like a charm. 
  • Options
    What a wonderful day, back at a full Valley, Addicks ripping apart the league leaders and the crowd absolutely rocking it The negatives, The bloody awful Addicks to Victory before and immediately after the game & Thomas's ill advised interview with South London Press. I think most Addicks, now have got the measure of Thomas, that he's a good guy but has an inflated egg his Linkedin Profile has him first as a Rock musician? this sadly he isn't,  he is a successful US based business man who decided to buy an English team, looked at 4 clubs and picked us !What is such a shame is that it appears he is getting his advise from a certain Ged Roddy who isn't qualified to, as X director of Sport at Bath Uni for 20yrs, a role with Premier League & Academy manager at Reading FC?
    Where are the wise men at Charlton to speak out and advise Thomas that Jacko is the man for the job and if he wants to look to see who else is available and do his due diligence, keep quiet about it. Please Thomas get a CEO to take the flak,advise and help adapt Thomas to the rough and tumble of English football. Thomas has credit in the bank still, even after the debacle of Adkins but what a terrible misjudgement to say that Jacko  could go back to being a number two. Surely someone at club or an X Player or manager has the balls to advises him to sign Jacko up, Thomas please think hard before you speak to the press or play that awful track again after a victory. 
  • Options
    They've backed JJ and Euell and promoted them since being at the club.

It's a bit Pardew'esqe to be giving numbers of how many people are interested when we've had such a turnaround. If it was just a 10pc turnaround, I could understand. But it's not!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I don’t care how much of an egotist Mr Sandgaard is, because it was his general nous (ego and all) that figured with Nimer having 65% and Southall 35% he could deal with the main person in order to buy/acquire/SAVE our club, and cut out the pipsqueak.
    For that he is entitled to make decisions, they may be wrong (as in Adkins) but I don’t believe his decisions are made for self enrichment or to shut down Charlton.
    My brother asks ‘why fix what ain’t broke?’, and for that reason alone Mr Sandgaard is justified in sticking to his 60 day trial period.
    Having said all that, if it isn’t Jacko, anybody else will have to arrive and begin with a spectacular win record of about 50 in a row, and a 75% win record thereafter in order to justify the appointment in the eyes of the fans.
  • Options
    We are in the early days of something really starting to happen in SE7, and in my opinion TS is well aware of that and for that reason alone as we continue to climb the table he will surely appoint JJ full time and JE.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Major said:

In his caretaker capacity, JJ is doing the business. The players have bought in 100%.

When you have a winning formula, cherish, savour, and act quickly before another Owner makes an offer to Johnnie Jackson that he can't refuse for his family's sake, even if JJ loves Cafc and wants the job.

I wanted Jacko to be manager after he was caretaker last season, and forget the dangerous game of keeping the status quo, because he wants the Job full time now, and I don't understand the words of Thomas Sandgaard that he can go back to being a coach if they bring in a manager from outside.

Not now he won't, because other owners and fans from the EFL will notice how a team in free fall and according to cafc fan base "worst team in Charlton athletic history" have turned into a super fit motivated, skilled team, that are fit to wear the shirt and can take on and compete with the best teams in the division after being in 22nd place and heading down.

I have stated on several occasions that JJ will be a successful manager; Sandgaard can make sure it's with CAFC ASAP, because just like young talent in football they are in great demand.

• Options
    edited November 2021
    I’m firmly in the TS camp of exploring all the options. That’s what I’d expect of a good owner. Since JJ took the reigns the results have been better than any of us could have expected. That’s not in doubt. What JJ also has brought into the equation is a unifying effect for the whole football club. The words club legend are used far to often in my opinion but Johnnie Jackson fits the bill. There isn’t an Addick anywhere that doesn’t have the greatest respect for the man. There would have been a very decent argument for giving him the job even if the results weren’t as spectacularly good as they’ve been. Putting the form and feel good factor having the man in charge together, then for me as a league one club who aren’t going to attract a top top manager with an unblemished cv, it’s now looking a no brainer to give it to him. I’d still give it until Christmas to see if JJ can bounce back from an inevitable defeat but I can’t really see anyone who would be interested in the job muscling in now. 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I don’t care how much of an egotist Mr Sandgaard is, because it was his general nous (ego and all) that figured with Nimer having 65% and Southall 35% he could deal with the main person in order to buy/acquire/SAVE our club, and cut out the pipsqueak.
    For that he is entitled to make decisions, they may be wrong (as in Adkins) but I don’t believe his decisions are made for self enrichment or to shut down Charlton.
    My brother asks ‘why fix what ain’t broke?’, and for that reason alone Mr Sandgaard is justified in sticking to his 60 day trial period.
    Having said all that, if it isn’t Jacko, anybody else will have to arrive and begin with a spectacular win record of about 50 in a row, and a 75% win record thereafter in order to justify the appointment in the eyes of the fans.
    You only buy a football club for egotistical reasons ( unless you are own one of the big clubs that might make you money).  Sandgaard has to be  hero for saving us but he’s made a few mistakes since - Roddy, Schwartz, Adkins, not sacking Adkins a month before , pushing his music , his comments this week .  
  • Options
    Major said:

When you have a winning formula, cherish, savour, and act quickly before another Owner makes an offer to Johnnie Jackson that he can't refuse for his family's sake, even if JJ loves Cafc and wants the job.

I wanted Jacko to be manager after he was caretaker last season, and forget the dangerous game of keeping the status quo, because he wants the Job full time now, and I don't understand the words of Thomas Sandgaard that he can go back to being a coach if they bring in a manager from outside.

Not now he won't, because other owners and fans from the EFL will notice how a team in free fall and according to cafc fan base "worst team in Charlton athletic history" have turned into a super fit motivated, skilled team, that are fit to wear the shirt and can take on and compete with the best teams in the division after being in 22nd place and heading down.

I have stated on several occasions that JJ will be a successful manager; Sandgaard can make sure it's with CAFC ASAP, because just like young talent in football they are in great demand.

He is already under contract and probably getting a bit of "responsibility pay".  Anyone coming in for him now would still have to pay for him.  He isn't going to leave us for anyone lower than us in league 1, I doubt any of the teams above us are going to be looking for a new manager before Xmas.

Barnsley have just appointed a new manager.  He isn't going to be offered a big championship job on the back of 4 or 5 league 1 games. 

Thomas said 60 days, if the turn round hadn't been so spectacular, but an improvement, people would be saying he still has 32, or what ever it is, days left to turn it around.

In the year Thomas has been owner we have already had 2 false dawns.  Although it doesn't feel like it the six wins and HMS Piss the league was only 13 months ago.

The key thing is Thomas gets it right.  Today, tomorrow or the arbatory deadline Thomas gave himself doesn't really matter, does it? 
  • Options
    No need to drag it out, appoint JJ ,and really start planning the way forward. 
  • Options
    Heard someone saying after the game Neil Harris was in the directors box today.

Piss poor and hugely disrespectful to Jackson if so.

If he's considering appointing Harris he's got a lot to learn.

Hopefully just unfounded gossip.
    I’ll keep saying it.
    Harris can be seen quite often at The Valley when Wall are away, especially now he’s out of work.
    Plus, he’s actually answered, when questioned, ‘I’m Wall aren’t I’.

But don’t let that get in the way of peoples heads exploding 🙄
    This is a good point actually, i do remember him saying this but can't remember where.

But it does then lead to the question, of all the teams in London why does a Millwall legend come to watch Charlton? I don't imagine Curbs (when out of work) was going regularly to the Den.
    Because we (the Club) welcome him & it’s a chance to keep watching football.
    He’s actually a really nice fella.
    Whereas who would want to go to the Den? 
    No brainier really 🤷‍♀️