Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Sandgaard interviewing other managers

Comments

• Options
    I see nothing wrong with that. Sandgaard's doing what he said he would which is looking at the options & seeing who is available......which I applaud.

Many rightly turned on Miere when she announced similar & then appointed their own man 24 hours later. 

There is no rush. Better to get the right manager rather just appoint from within just because we've had a few wins. What would happen if Jacko was appointed tomorrow before the game & then we lost the next 3 & dropped back into the bottom 4. 
    Agreed but that's not the same situation here, Sandgaard has had the chance to look at other candidates but Jacko is doing the biz whilst he does so. 

I do agree there's no rush though, 10 points out of 12 is fantastic but it's also a very small amount to judge on. 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    *key player/manager leaves the club*
    Some fans: "why don't we have someone lined up? A well run club would always be assessing alternatives as a backup just in case."

*Sandgaard assesses other managers in case things don't work out over the next month*
    Same fans: "why are we looking at alternatives? Go all in on Jacko."
    Of course it's right for him to assess the situation. However he had plenty of time to do so before he finally sacked Adkins, he's also had plenty of time since.

TEL said:
    Personally I wish Thomas would wind his ego in a little. The alarm bells rung when he said it was a business decision..whilst I understand that, football must come first, we have seen the effects of him concentrating on the structure behind the scenes and losing sight of the fact that its all about Football.
    In my experience people (predominantly men) with that level of success always have a pretty big ego. I think you just have to accept that, that's why he has a picture of himself in the Boardroom ........
  • Options
    *key player/manager leaves the club*
    Some fans: "why don't we have someone lined up? A well run club would always be assessing alternatives as a backup just in case."

*Sandgaard assesses other managers in case things don't work out over the next month*
    Same fans: "why are we looking at alternatives? Go all in on Jacko."

• Options
    Nothing wrong .. 100% correct .

plus again I suspect any contact was made around Adkins sacking and not this week 
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Whilst I agree you don't make hasty decisions, hanging it out as long as it seems he intends to will potentially have a negative effect.

Name me the last experienced manager we had, that had any real decent level of success for us?

I'm not going to list them all, especially through the RD years but IMHO the successful one's over the last 40 years;

Bowyer - zero management experience, but an affinity/history with the club
    Powell -  zero management experience, but an affinity/history with the club
    Curbishley - zero management experience, but an affinity/history with the club
    Lawrence - zero management experience (Caretaker at Plymouth for a few games I think)

Everyone else in-between has either been dire or average/mediocre at best.

The last three successes have been people who know the club, there's a reason for that and even Lenny was a master at what he did with the position the club was in at the time, far better managers on paper, but don't think there was a better manager for Charlton at the time.

Just appoint Jackson, I don't care who else is available, he's the man for this job, right here, right now. Just like Powell when he came in, we need to get back to being Charlton, Jackson and only Jackson is best placed to do that. No disrespect to Powell as I absolutely love him to bits, but I think Jackson has the potential in club management to go much much further.

I agree with you and would love to see Jacko given the job but we should also remember that in that same timeframe we had pardew, parky and reed who all fit into your category of 'zero management experience, but an affinity/history with the club'. It doesn't always work so I'm happy to see a little bit of caution shown

Fingers crossed though that JJ gets the job and joins that list of successful bosses, it's one hell of a list, bowyer, powell, curbs, lawrence- the 4 greats of my time supporting us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2021
    If Johnny keeps averaging around 2 points a game he will be almost impossible to shift.
    Imagine if he were to be replaced during a reasonably  successful run, and then his successor failed to keep it up. The crowd would turn on the new manager faster even than happened with Adkins.
    Johnny and his team can paint Sandgard into a corner in the next month. Its a results business.
  • Options
    I see nothing wrong with that. Sandgaard's doing what he said he would which is looking at the options & seeing who is available......which I applaud.

Many rightly turned on Miere when she announced similar & then appointed their own man 24 hours later. 

There is no rush. Better to get the right manager rather just appoint from within just because we've had a few wins. What would happen if Jacko was appointed tomorrow before the game & then we lost the next 3 & dropped back into the bottom 4. 
    Spent time yesterday consoling a distraught lifelong Addick mate with similar reasoning. 
  • Options
    rina said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    Whilst I agree you don't make hasty decisions, hanging it out as long as it seems he intends to will potentially have a negative effect.

Name me the last experienced manager we had, that had any real decent level of success for us?

I'm not going to list them all, especially through the RD years but IMHO the successful one's over the last 40 years;

Lawrence - zero management experience (Caretaker at Plymouth for a few games I think)

The last three successes have been people who know the club, there's a reason for that and even Lenny was a master at what he did with the position the club was in at the time, far better managers on paper, but don't think there was a better manager for Charlton at the time.

Just appoint Jackson, I don't care who else is available, he's the man for this job, right here, right now. Just like Powell when he came in, we need to get back to being Charlton, Jackson and only Jackson is best placed to do that. No disrespect to Powell as I absolutely love him to bits, but I think Jackson has the potential in club management to go much much further.

I agree with you and would love to see Jacko given the job but we should also remember that in that same timeframe we had pardew, parky and reed who all fit into your category of 'zero management experience, but an affinity/history with the club'. It doesn't always work so I'm happy to see a little bit of caution shown

Fingers crossed though that JJ gets the job and joins that list of successful bosses, it's one hell of a list, bowyer, powell, curbs, lawrence- the 4 greats of my time supporting us
    Ah, but Reed only lasted a few games (thank God) and there wasn'ta major clamour to appoint him, Parky didn't really have any Charlton history, and the other one was a Palace ****.
  • Options
    Just listened to the Elliott Lee interview.

They are 110% behind Jacko. He's bringing out the best in them and they're loving it.
    They will keep their hands fully on the pump to make sure JJ gets the job I've no doubt.

And there you have a clever bit of kidology from TS.
    All the while there's uncertainty, the players will raise their game until he gets the job. 

Leave him hanging until June I say!  ;-)
    My thoughts too
  • Options
    Nothing wrong in speaking with other candidates. I wouldn’t expect anything less from an owner of a million pound business. Jacko is in my opinion is holding all the cards, if he keeps up the results and performances as he is doing then there shouldn’t be a problem, but as TS said he is just seeing whom else is out there nothing wrong with that.
  • Options
    My worry is Sandgaard would go back to the old system if a new man got the job. The old system failed! 
  • Options
    rina said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Err… Pardew had managed West Ham in the premier league and Parky already had considerable management experience with Colchester and Hull by that point and didn’t really have much history with us other than being our assistant manager in a torrid  spell under Pardew.

Les Reed I’ll give you, but no one wanted him in that role anyway.

TS hasn’t done anything wrong in this situation so far really, but he just needs to be careful. When the players, club and fans all want something and he doesn’t oblige then he will lose a lot of goodwill. Let’s just hope he knows what he’s doing. 
  • Options
    Just listened to the Elliott Lee interview.

They are 110% behind Jacko. He's bringing out the best in them and they're loving it.
    They will keep their hands fully on the pump to make sure JJ gets the job I've no doubt.

And there you have a clever bit of kidology from TS.
    All the while there's uncertainty, the players will raise their game until he gets the job. 

Leave him hanging until June I say!  ;-)
    Not clever at all imo.

The main effect will have been to demotivate Johnnie and Jason. (I once got overlooked for a job I should have got and was then asked to train up a new guy gormless twat! I told them to swivel on it, went straight down the pub for the rest of the day week and did next to nothing for six months while I engineered a move elsewhere.)

Why should Johnnie and Jason feel anything other than pissed off?
  • Options
    rina said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Parky and Pardew both had experience as a manager before we gave them the job, they don’t fit that category at all.

Reed was never going to be a success and shouldn’t have been appointed. Very different compared to someone like Powell who was seen as having the potential to be a good manager.
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    rina said:
    Rob7Lee said:

Err… Pardew had managed West Ham in the premier league and Parky already had considerable management experience with Colchester and Hull by that point and didn’t really have much history with us other than being our assistant manager in a torrid  spell under Pardew.

Les Reed I’ll give you, but no one wanted him in that role anyway.

TS hasn’t done anything wrong in this situation so far really, but he just needs to be careful. When the players, club and fans all want something and he doesn’t oblige then he will lose a lot of goodwill. Let’s just hope he knows what he’s doing. 
    oh yeah, fair enough. I was more focussing on the history with the club aspect and didn't really think about the fact they did other things before us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think Thomas should have kept his thoughts closer to his chest. Announcing that he was still looking at alternatives for the manager job certainly knocked the wind out of my sails. 

In my personal opinion,  JJ has proved, beyond doubt, that he is the perfect fit for for our club. Most football people in the country can clearly see that. Not only has he transformed the team, the performances, and the results but he has brought new life to the whole club and we, the fans, are loving it! If he takes advice and ends up appointing someone else, I for one, will be devastated and I dread to think how it would impact on the club (and his investment).

Thomas saved our club from near extinction and brought in the financial stability we desperately needed.  I can fully understand his hesitation after the previous (dis)appointment. After all it is HIS money which is continually at risk!

I also think we are witnessing the weakness of not having a full-time, football savvy CEO to run his business in the UK. His wealth has been accumulated from an expertise outside of the world of football and whilst he is enjoying his dream of owning Charlton he is too detached in the US and he needs a "Peter Varney" on site to steer the UK business.

I  pray Thomas will come to the blindingly obvious decision to appoint the current management team and let us move on. 

• Options
    edited November 2021
    Sandgaard - "Talking to other managers and coaches/ needs to know a high press/ pass out from the back"

CL - Reading to much into it, throw away comment, doesn't English.

Also

CL - Mind games, forcing the players and JJ to give extra 7.8%, clever stuff.

I love this forum don't any of you crazy bastard's ever change.

• Options
    Why would you look at other candidates when all the players are coming out and saying they want Jacko to get the job?!
  • Options
    on reflection, i'm sure jacko will get the job but if we were to go on a losing streak then maybe he won't but we won't so he will - yesterdays words from TS were probably more about squashing gthe rumour going round that he is going to appoint jacko on the pitch before the game - which would have been distracting and ridiculous in my opinion
  • Options
    This may have been mentioned before but how about giving JJ a short term contract until the end of the season, like they would to a player, with a 3 year option at the end of it if both parties agree.
    That way there is no long term financial commitment on the part of the club so TS protects himself against another Adkins situation. 

Whether JJ would accept this is another matter of course 
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Thomas is doing the correct thing in looking at what is possible and who is available. However, with every game, Jacko and Jason are making every conversation that much harder for any potential incomer. That’s all they can do and every positive result in the next month, even a loss depending on how we play/ react, will add further to them getting the full time job. A dozen or so games will be a great barometer to measure the guys.

Having said all that, stop dicking around Thomas and give JJ the job!!!!!!  😁
  • Options
    why are people still going on about it .. once it was decided to sack Adkins he had to act and interview other managers he did not know Jackson was going to do as well as he had .. so he had to do what every other club does when they lose a manager look for a new one …. CALM everyone 
  • Options
    why are people still going on about it .. once it was decided to sack Adkins he had to act and interview other managers he did not know Jackson was going to do as well as he had .. so he had to do what every other club does when they lose a manager look for a new one …. CALM everyone 

• Options
    I think the point being there is you want the manager who will be managing next season to have some time with the players this season to work out who he wants to keep and who he wants in and then a full preseason. A contract for JJ until the end of the season and then replacing him would screw that up. 
  • Options
    Thomas is SOOO sucking it in for this picture :D

Tactical black too.  Slimming.