Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

‘Fill the Valley’ - repeated for Ipswich and Cambridge Utd (p17)

Comments

• edited December 2021
    Well, any doubts about the Fill the Valley incentive must be well and truly dispelled now. The Plymouth game was a huge success and all casual supporters must have enjoyed it. Some will probably return on the strength of that game alone, but by having two more games in quick succession is a great idea to consolidate the momentum gained in attracting new fans. If we can manage another great performance and victory on Saturday, I cannot see how the incentive can fail to add new fans. 

I think the home draw in the FA Cup against Premier League opposition (shame it wasn't Arsenal) will also be another great opportunity to boost the Club's profile. It will be interesting to see the size of the crowd for the Norwich game. I suspect it could be much greater than typical FA Cup gates. Personally, I have given cup games a miss for many years, but I think I will be attending this one. 

It was slightly disappointing to see so many empty seats yesterday. The tickets were all "sold", but many were wasted. I don't see the point in season ticket holders taking their 3 free tickets and then not using them. The actual attendance yesterday looked well under 20,000, probably somewhere around 17,000? I can understand that midweek games can be trickier to attend for many, and the weather earlier in the day had been atrocious, but still a shame to see so many empty seats when we were playing against attractive opposition.

Roll on Saturday and, hopefully, another great atmosphere at The Valley. 
    It was a great night so let’s leave the analysis for another time, but home areas were about 50% full last night and about 70% full against Plymouth. That’s a lot better than the 30% against Accrington.
    No way only 50% last night, wasn’t any where near full but more than 50% from where I was sitting
    The Covered End was well over 50%, maybe 80%, but it is only about 35% of the home seats. All other stands were well under 50%. The AC stand looks about 30% full - the blocks allocated to residents were largely empty (of course they may have moved into other empty seats) - so were the quads and the upper west. Lower west was a bit better.
  • edited December 2021
    Well, any doubts about the Fill the Valley incentive must be well and truly dispelled now. The Plymouth game was a huge success and all casual supporters must have enjoyed it. Some will probably return on the strength of that game alone, but by having two more games in quick succession is a great idea to consolidate the momentum gained in attracting new fans. If we can manage another great performance and victory on Saturday, I cannot see how the incentive can fail to add new fans. 

I think the home draw in the FA Cup against Premier League opposition (shame it wasn't Arsenal) will also be another great opportunity to boost the Club's profile. It will be interesting to see the size of the crowd for the Norwich game. I suspect it could be much greater than typical FA Cup gates. Personally, I have given cup games a miss for many years, but I think I will be attending this one. 

It was slightly disappointing to see so many empty seats yesterday. The tickets were all "sold", but many were wasted. I don't see the point in season ticket holders taking their 3 free tickets and then not using them. The actual attendance yesterday looked well under 20,000, probably somewhere around 17,000? I can understand that midweek games can be trickier to attend for many, and the weather earlier in the day had been atrocious, but still a shame to see so many empty seats when we were playing against attractive opposition.

It was a great night so let’s leave the analysis for another time, but home areas were about 50% full last night and about 70% full against Plymouth. That’s a lot better than the 30% against Accrington.
    No way only 50% last night, wasn’t any where near full but more than 50% from where I was sitting
    The Covered End was well over 50%, maybe 80%, but it is only about 35% of the home seats. All other stands were well under 50%. The AC stand looks about 30% full - the blocks allocated to residents were largely empty (of course they may have moved into other empty seats) - so were the quads and the upper west. Lower west was a bit better.
    I would suggest the view from the JS stand of the viewable home areas would put those stats as well under estimated.

• Well, any doubts about the Fill the Valley incentive must be well and truly dispelled now. The Plymouth game was a huge success and all casual supporters must have enjoyed it. Some will probably return on the strength of that game alone, but by having two more games in quick succession is a great idea to consolidate the momentum gained in attracting new fans. If we can manage another great performance and victory on Saturday, I cannot see how the incentive can fail to add new fans. 

The West Stand looked very empty looking across from the Curbs, as did both corner sections. I couldn't judge how full the Curbs Stand was because that's where I was sitting.
  • I can’t believe the home areas were only 70% full against Plymouth - anyway, I’m confident Saturday will be as packed out as Plymouth 
  • seth plum said:
    The turnstiles in the lower Curbishley entrance were all seemingly working, and there were stewards/technicians on hand to help.
    I can only conclude from that that Keohane is the greatest asset the club has🧀
    Still only 1 open at the Bertram entrance so absolutely no change there and no extra staff with the handheld scanners. 

• seth plum said:
    Looking forward to all turnstiles being fully operational having been sorted by Keohane who has had months to attend to this matter and get it sorted.
    I notice you have referenced this a few times.

Have you formally enquired of the club to explain what the issue is (if there is one) or perhaps via the Fans co-ordinator / liaison?

I don't know if the perceived problem might be a result of a technical issue which is taking time to fix or is a plain & simple decision not to use all turnstiles due to some resource constraints / cost saving practicalities.

Might be worth seeking an answer to satisfy your curiosity. I am a firm believer in that things don't always get fixed which aren't flagged/highlighted.
    Until I read it on a thread here I didn’t know season tickets could be tapped and didn’t need scanning. Wouldn’t hurt if it was made generally known to move the queues quicker.
  • 26376!!!!!!!!
    Lol lol lol
    whats the point of such exaggeration ? 
    17000 max
  • Well, any doubts about the Fill the Valley incentive must be well and truly dispelled now. The Plymouth game was a huge success and all casual supporters must have enjoyed it. Some will probably return on the strength of that game alone, but by having two more games in quick succession is a great idea to consolidate the momentum gained in attracting new fans. If we can manage another great performance and victory on Saturday, I cannot see how the incentive can fail to add new fans. 

My guesstimate including away fans was a total crowd around 16k.

= 11,000 empty seats in the home ends ? 
  • Sponsored links:

• I reckon Cambridge United will nigh on sell out as we are local and haven't played each other for more or less ever.
    Anybody remember the stunning fact about our ex-player Mitov who might appear in goal for them?

No chance . Far more than that 
  • Will everyone need a Proof of Vaccination or negative Covid test result?
  • Addickted said:

I would suggest the view from the JS stand of the viewable home areas would put those stats as well under estimated.

It’s always going to look more full from a side-on view. Think airman has it right, west looked pretty empty from the east. 
  • edited December 2021
    seth plum said:
    I reckon Cambridge United will nigh on sell out as we are local and haven't played each other for more or less ever.
    Anybody remember the stunning fact about our ex-player Mitov who might appear in goal for them?
    If they sell more than 2K I’d be amazed. They barely have 2.5k home fans for any of their home matches. Cambridge have a terrible fan base considering the size of the city . Definitely the worst in the country for a one club city team. 
  • Will everyone need a Proof of Vaccination or negative Covid test result?
    Not yet or for Cambridge- but after 15 Dec….?
  • edited December 2021

= 11,000 empty seats in the home ends ? 
    Yes, about that. East and West were both less than half full, both quads very empty. 

Crowds always look bigger than they are as it’s not always easy to see gaps between people 

• Love those views of the home stands when the goals went in last night, especially the 2nd one 
  • edited December 2021
    The attendance was 14,000 and change. I do have pictures if people really want me to post them but I also get it’s more important we won.
  • edited December 2021
    The attendance was 14,000 and change. I do have pictures if people really want me to post them but I also get it’s more important we won.
    So only 11,000 in the home ends ? 

The combined two tiers of the covered end and the two corners must have accounted for half that judging by the pictures from the JS so that would mean the two tiers  of the west stand plus the AC only had a total of 5.5k or roughly 1.8k on each ?
  • Sponsored links:

• The attendance was 14,000 and change. I do have pictures if people really want me to post them but I also get it’s more important we won.
    So only 11,000 in the home ends ? 

The combined two tiers of the covered end and the two corners must have accounted for half that judging by the pictures from the JS so that would mean the two tiers  of the west stand plus the AC only had a total of 5.5k or roughly 1.8k on each ?
    The quads were pretty empty. I would say that about half the home support was in the Covered End. Probably 2,000 if the AC Stand, which is one reason there were no queues at all.
  • The attendance was 14,000 and change. I do have pictures if people really want me to post them but I also get it’s more important we won.
    You are the Ying (lack of home support) to OohAah’s yang ( lack of away support ) 

It’s an obsession with both both of you but by all means carry on . 
  • Would inflated figures look better for potential investors perhaps? I.e. we've nigh on sold out full capacity for 3 of the last x games for example.
  • I got there at 7:25ish expecting the same horrendous queues outside the Curbs stand that there were before the Plymouth game, and went through in no time
  • seth plum said:
    I reckon Cambridge United will nigh on sell out as we are local and haven't played each other for more or less ever.
    I have a Cambridge supporting mate who is very much looking forward to seeing them at The Valley for the first time since we beat them 5-2 at The Valley in January 1984. From memory, I think that Mike Flanagan scored on his return to the club and the Killer got a brace. He (my mate, not the Killer) told me that Cambridge had sold 1,100 tickets for the game by last Wednesday, 1 December, which exceeded his original estimate of 700 or so. They've since had a very good week, with an FA Cup win, a 3rd Round Draw at the Toon and a 5-0 away win at Cheltenham. You'd expect them to shift a few more as a result and I see from the club's Twitter account that they've now sold over 1,400, so it should be a decent turn out.

In the Covid-interrupted 2019/20 season, Cambridge's average League 2 home attendance was a bit over 4,000. Following promotion this season, their home average is a shade over 5,200.
  • Seth - with regard to your question, did Mitov, our ex-youth team goalie, score with a huge wind-assisted goal kick ?
  • edited December 2021
    Blucher said:
    Seth - with regard to your question, did Mitov, our ex-youth team goalie, score with a huge wind-assisted goal kick ?
    He did.

https://youtu.be/8ukBgB--G2c
  • Addickted said:

It’s always going to look more full from a side-on view. Think airman has it right, west looked pretty empty from the east. 
    More to the point, it always looks more full when the crowd are standing.
  • reckon there was 7500 in the covered end, 4.5k in the west, 3k in the east and  3k in the south - £18k - about 9K seats empty - 2k local residents, 2k season ticket holders and 2k printed but not used tickets and £2k floaters who saw the weather and decided not to