Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match (and post-match p13) Thread : Leyton Orient vs Charlton | Papa John's | Tuesday 9 Nov 2021

Comments

• DICKIE, DICKIE CHIN! 
  • AndyG said:
    I think the point people are trying to make is that in a game like tonight ( I dont think anyone was that desperate about getting a result tonight) you would have thought that the players on the fringe on the main matchday squad would be busting a gut to show the Manager why they should move up the pecking order. For the 2nd game running I dont see any of them doing that if I'm honest
    But the team we played tonight largely isn't players on the fringe, it's players completely outside of the picture, for the moment at least.

For Saturday, I agree with you more, though I find these kinds of matches, against lower league opposition, to be a bit of a catch-22. Similar to bigger international teams playing the likes of San Marino, if you play well, then you only played well against poor opposition and you get no credit. If you play poorly, then all of a sudden you played poorly against inferior opposition, and you lose credit. There's no winning, only less losing. And that inferior opposition is usually sitting 10 behind the ball looking to stop you from playing at every possible opportunity, which isn't indicative of how most league matches are played.

I would have hoped for a little better on Saturday. I couldn't watch the game, but I wasn't surprised to learn that we played much better once Lee came on. He's a very good player at this level, and arguably our only true #10 (Gilbey has played there, but I think he's more of an attack-minded 8). And in our 3-4-1-2 system, that 10 is so important, and as we learned a few weeks ago, Charlie Kirk is not a 10. 

Could the likes of Morgan, or Arter, or others have played better? Perhaps. But I think we've seen enough of Morgan in the league to know that right now he is performing below what his ability should allow him to be. And with someone like Arter, we've seen him blow hot and cold in the league. 

I just don't think we learned that much about our first team players over the last two games. Ideally, we would have gotten out of it giving some of the more fringe players run outs and with no one getting injured, but Souaré coming off could leave us short of cover for that LWB role, which is a big problem given that it's a role that requires a lot of running. 

• It's a mickey mouse cup, a couple wins doesnt change that. If i see my beloved Charlton at Wembley i want it to be for something meaningfull, would possibly rather we didn't make it there. Imagine playing Swansea u21s at Wembley - depressing
    Have an U21 team ever reached the final of the tin pot cup ? I can only remember the last 2 finals & just your usual league teams were involved.

Not that I really care. The only good purpose it serves is to give the youngsters a run out so the management can see them in a proper match in a proper stadium. 
  • It's a mickey mouse cup, a couple wins doesnt change that. If i see my beloved Charlton at Wembley i want it to be for something meaningfull, would possibly rather we didn't make it there. Imagine playing Swansea u21s at Wembley - depressing
    Have an U21 team ever reached the final of the tin pot cup ? I can only remember the last 2 finals & just your usual league teams were involved.

Not that I really care. The only good purpose it serves is to give the youngsters a run out so the management can see them in a proper match in a proper stadium. 
    There were 16 academy sides in this competition. 11 are already out at the group stage and Brighton will also go if Forest Green beat Walsall tonight.

Villa, West Ham, Chelsea (who were all group winners and can draw us next round) along with Arsenal are the only ones through. 
  • I will never eat pizza again.

This compertion must be destroying a once popular fast food sector.
  • My niece went to school with Chin , think she went to Bexley Grammar 
  • My niece went to school with Chin , think she went to Bexley Grammar 
    He went to Beths. Played in the same team as Lewis Bate (Chelsea now Leeds) and Sam Edozie (Millwall now Man City). Needless to say they were a pretty good side!
  • that’s the one 
  • ross1 said:
    Bit of a rum decision by JJ to pick Morgan as captain.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited November 2021
    If the attendance was going to be that good last night was expecting 200 in the away end.I would have gone. Real disappointed was Deji for me I see him as a first team player and he made youth team player mistakes. Hopefully, these were just him having an off day. 

Would never go and watch us against an Under 23s team in this competition. 
  • Attendance was decent and was a good laugh. 

Some funny songs about pizza. 

Leicester | Man City | Swansea have both reached the Quarter-Finals at various stages
    Chelsea got to the Semi-Finals in 2018
  • The game indicated the uneven nature of the development of young players. For example Deji had a worse showing than of late, yet Clayden had a better one.
    Orient deserved it on their second half display, and some of our classless (‘your support is effing chite’) fans deserved to be humbled.
  • i thought it was a bad performance yesterday for the 1st team fringe/youngsters. theyre not ready for mens football and couldnt capitalize on the man advantage.
    i think theres usefulness for soare with his fancy/neat crosses and passes
  • I'm shocked we had 700 odd there last night, fair play but i wish people would boycott this competition. It used to be ok before the kick in the balls having u23 teams. 
  • edited November 2021
    Went along last night, Charlton fans were loud as always, disappointed not to see Johl Powell play for longer, regular performer in the u23's but always seems to get over looked in games like this.
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    So by the looks of the tables we can end up with one of the below teams from the Groups.

Where I've named a team twice or three times is because that Group hasnt been decided tonight.

As the 2nd / 3rd Round stay regionalised

West Ham or Ipswich
    Sutton United
    Aston Villa
    Walsall or Forest Green
    Chelsea | Bristol Rovers | Exeter
    Swindon Town
    Cambridge United

Even if we draw West Ham | Aston Villa | Chelsea we should be the away team so could end up playing at their Home Stadium rather than some reserve stadium - e.g. Brighton played Newport County in 2019/20 which got played at the AMEX
    Away at West Ham, then we can finally get to watch us play at the taxpayers stadium, having missed out last season due to lockdown!
    Anyone paying money to go and see a premier league's u23 side needs their head tested
    I pay to watch Charlton. Not any other team. 
  • puts our catering offers to shame
  • Sounds like a bad performance by the U23.
    Hopefully scouts were watching Deji Elerewe last night ! Good learning Curve for Deji who will be a regular starter at the beginning of next season as long as he finds his A game not his Z game of last night.

Part of Deji's football education that you have matches when your games not sharp.
    Especially when the team don't Gel.
  • Sounds like a bad performance by the U23.
    Hopefully scouts were watching Deji Elerewe last night ! Good learning Curve for Deji who will be a regular starter at the beginning of next season as long as he finds his A game not his Z game of last night.

Part of Deji's football education that you have matches when your games not sharp.
    Especially when the team don't Gel.
    We quickly Charltonised Deji with that 3 year contract  :D
  • Can someone tell me is it u21, u23 teams or u5 teams that are in this competition with us 
  • So when’s the draw for the next round? After the games tonight?
  • Can someone tell me is it u21, u23 teams or u5 teams that are in this competition with us 
    U21 teams
  • JaShea99 said:
    So when’s the draw for the next round? After the games tonight?
    Saturday lunchtime I believe. Either during soccer AM or during the early KO
  • JaShea99 said:
    So when’s the draw for the next round? After the games tonight?

The draw for Round Two of the Papa John’s Trophy will take place live on Sky Sports Football on Saturday 13 November.

Sky Bet League Two takes centre stage on Sky Sports at Saturday lunchtime as second-placed Port Vale face Bradford City in the 12pm kick-off, with the Papa John’s Trophy draw taking place at full-time. 

https://www.efl.com/news/2021/november/papa-johns-trophy-draw-round-two/