Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match (and post-match p13) Thread : Leyton Orient vs Charlton | Papa John's | Tuesday 9 Nov 2021

Comments

• No need for pressure on our kids.  Fat fucking fans sat at home always knocking kids  
    Just drop it its a horrible look.
    Support the kids
    I do prefer to support the players ordinarily, but...when's the cut-off age for it being okay to give pelters? 22? 23? 
  • I think the point people are trying to make is that in a game like tonight ( I dont think anyone was that desperate about getting a result tonight) you would have thought that the players on the fringe on the main matchday squad would be busting a gut to show the Manager why they should move up the pecking order. For the 2nd game running I dont see any of them doing that if I'm honest
  • The result didn't matter before the game and it doesn't matter now. A good run out for some of the youngsters and the only concern is the potential injury to Soare!
  • edited November 2021
    For Deji and Henry, are they another prime example of where we overate our youth based on some minor success in limited action and they end up like the Azeez, Sho Shilva, Morgan’s of the world who are league 2 or even non league standard in the long run or did they just have a bad day?  I am not sure but there definitely is some concern there.  As for the rest of the squad, with the exception Burstow and Davison, none of the rest of the youth  looked even remotely like they are going make it as professionals.
  • This would have been a good game for Vennings to show off, but instead I'm forced ot trawl through Twitter for Aldershot feedback. They seem to like him okay? 
  • edited November 2021
    I was looking for players to show they can come in. I was probably mostly interested in Morgan as I think these games are his chance to get on track. Whilst he was overall one of our better players, the limitations we have seen were still clearly there. 

What we do need to take into account is if you put a youngster in with better players they can play better. An example has to be Elerewe who had a poor game tonight but has looked good playing against better players, but importantly with better players. 

Ideally you play two or three with more experienced players, and they probably get more out of that, but it was a game that had no significance other than give players a taste.
  • Leuth said:
    This would have been a good game for Vennings to show off, but instead I'm forced ot trawl through Twitter for Aldershot feedback. They seem to like him okay? 
    Say what you think instead of trawling 
  • Ben18 said:
    Imagine being a senior side, playing against kids, and time wasting. 

It’s the Pizza Trophy where both clubs are already through. I’d be embarrassed if we did that vs an u23 team. 

What a sad little life Leyton Orient
    Has he brought out the bowls of custard ?
  • I still have the ear worm of Madonna’s Papa don’t preach (or whatever it’s called). 
  • Sponsored links:

• Jackson going grey after a few weeks.
  • How did Morgan play?

I've read the whole thread but don't think he's been mentioned yet.
  • what Jackson really wanted to say was 'look, its a stupid competition as you know and the result is irrelevant - just a reserve match to give people 'minutes' and youngsters a chance against some senior players but now it gets dressed up as a first team match but its all bollox really' 
  • Off_it said:
    How did Morgan play?

somewhere between outstanding and crap i believe 
  • I think it's slightly unfair for Jacko to complain about us being worse in the second half, when a major reason was that he subbed Davison at HT. 

I entirely understand why he did it, but it had a major negative effect on the team, a massive difference between him stretching the defence and the anonymous Wassim. Orient's dominant player in the second half wasn't a kid, it was the experienced Smyth

We've suffered in this game both from Washington call up (meaning Davison had to be rested at HT) but also because our 4th striker is back in Denmark...
  • edited November 2021
    So by the looks of the tables we can end up with one of the below teams from the Groups.

Where I've named a team twice or three times is because that Group hasnt been decided tonight.

As the 2nd / 3rd Round stay regionalised

West Ham or Ipswich
    Sutton United
    Aston Villa
    Walsall or Forest Green
    Chelsea | Bristol Rovers | Exeter
    Swindon Town
    Cambridge United

Even if we draw West Ham | Aston Villa | Chelsea we should be the away team so could end up playing at their Home Stadium rather than some reserve stadium - e.g. Brighton played Newport County in 2019/20 which got played at the AMEX
    West Ham U23s confirmed as Group A winners this evening after Ipswich were held to a penalty shootout by Colchester.

Walsall / FGR & Chelsea U21s / Bristol R / Exeter will be settled tomorrow evening.

• Leuth said:
    No need for pressure on our kids.  Fat fucking fans sat at home always knocking kids  
    Just drop it its a horrible look.
    Support the kids
    I do prefer to support the players ordinarily, but...when's the cut-off age for it being okay to give pelters? 22? 23? 
    “Yazoo”

”But you said Yazz”

”Yazz, yazoo, what’s your cut off point?”
  • The honeymoon's over, Jacko out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Does anyone know why this competition exists? Surely everyone is losing money by playing in front of these tiny crowds.

Their pizzas are crap too.
  • Wassim isn't really pushing on how I expected him to.
  • Off_it said:
    How did Morgan play?

Those that think that he is crap thought that he was rubbish and those that think that he is okay thought that he was good. 
  • I know it's only a Mickey mouse cup gsme, but I'm more convinced than ever that Albie Morgan is a non league standard footballer. 

He's just not good enough 
    I can't say I disagree overall. However, I think picking on him tonight would be unfair. He was probably just about our best player in the first half and although a bit sloppy in the second, he wasn't helped by a lack of movement up top. Jacko clearly felt the same because those players who made space in the first half all came off (admittedly Saturday was probably a reason too, particularly for Davison). He's younger than Dempsey who did absolutely nothing. Everyone is raving about Deji but he showed how raw he was tonight, that mistake was inevitable, he'd got lucky 2/3 times beforehand. But yes, I don't think Morgan will be a League 1 footballer next season but to single him out tonight, not fair for me. 
    Fair enough to say singling him out tonight is unfair, but it's not a one off is it??

He's consistently poor & was one of the more experienced first teamers in the squad tonight. 

He's just not good enough to be a league footballer in my opinion 
    No it's not a one off, and like I said, I don't disagree. I guess I just felt it was a little harsh to watch that tonight and then say that about Morgan. Overall, he was one of our best players, even if that's not saying much. The top prospect at the club was far worse, admittedly he's a lot younger.

But yes it does reinforce the view that he's running out of time. It is certainly one thing failing to impress away at Wycombe but when you're not necessarily doing it against Havant and Orient you have to be concerned. 
  • mendonca said:
    Wassim isn't really pushing on how I expected him to.
    Stood little chance of impressing during that second half though. The loan at Aldershot definitely more concerning. 
  • mendonca said:
    Stood little chance of impressing during that second half though. The loan at Aldershot definitely more concerning. 
    It's a 2 way thing though, a player has to contribute themselves, and help others to make chances for him through their movement
  • mendonca said:
    It's a 2 way thing though, a player has to contribute themselves, and help others to make chances for him through their movement
    Yeah that's fair, but when he first came on we were awful and the midfield went to sleep. So then you're playing catch up, if he'd have come on after 30 minutes then he might have had a chance to settle into the game.