Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ULEZ Checker

Comments

• seth plum said:
    The cleaner air will not affect groups of people disproportionately but everybody much the same.
    Apparently if you’re poor you’re more likely to live in areas of high pollution, so you’re more likely to benefit from ULEZ. 
  • edited August 2023
    So where are the stats for the first few days ? 

I’m keen to see if it’s still 9/10 cars compliant or not. 

The data will be available to TFL and will be interesting to us all when released. 

% compliance and of those that are not compliant where are they registered to. 

Hopefully in this digital world we will get weekly figures very soon. 
  • Nothing worse than pointless government interference. Just leave people alone.
    Anarcho syndicalism!
    It would be great if governments didn’t need to interfere, but sadly London would be a gridlocked polluted city like the ones at the top of this list if they hadn’t. (Graphics from the excellent AirVisual app that provides live data on air quality).

• edited August 2023
    The stats are going to be very interesting with the main one being how better the air quality becomes. I am not a scientist but I have nagging doubts about EVs being a solution and ULEZ equally and although related they are supposed to be solutions to different problems. I also have no trust in politicians so I suspect if the air quality isn't greatly improved, we will be told it is. So proper scientific scrutiny is required.

But the problem with my position is I don't know and that means I don't feel qualified to be strongly against the policy. I don't like sledge hammer to crack a nut policies and just sticking a date and saying everything before this date is bad doesn't feel scientific. Like I said, diffrerent problems but some small diesels are very economical and you pay minimum road tax because of their green credentials. Were these considered properly? They are also more likely to be driven less, which is also a factor I doubt was considered.

Of course this is an issue which will settle down pretty quickly as the cars falling foul will be off the roads within a short space of time and if air quality is improved, it will ultimately go down as a great success. It has happened so rather than get into a rabid frenzy over it, which I think one side of the argument is trying to acheive, we should scrutinise the outcome. If the benefit has not been realised or is minimal, then the Mayor needs to be taken to task for it.

Like I said, I have doubts about it but if it is proven to save lives then those doubts will be quashed. I do not have the scientific knowledge to take the position some are at the moment. And nor do they, with the greatest respect.
  • JohnnyH2 said:
    Rothko said:
    It's funny how left-wing types are typically in favour of ULEZ despite it disproportionately affecting the poor.

15 years ago this type of scheme would have been seen as a disaster. Just shows how the demographics of the political divide have changed.
    The poorest London live in inner London, unless the good people of Keston and Franborough are now struggling?

Slade Green, Crayford, Erith, Thamesmead........

It baffles me why people don't understand that some people can't afford to pay £12.50 per day, in other words have a spare £250/£300 pm lying around.

Considering I thought that the majority have very little savings/have the financial surplus to be able to save, where will people find this money from?

I'm not talking about myself, I had to sell my diesel car (bought because government recommended) a few years ago, when the previous ULEZ was introduced.
    I was fortunate enough to be able to afford a newer replacement.
    That's the headline but when you look into it 90% of cars are compliant and the is a scrappage scheme to assist with buying a car.

People's concerns are similar to arguments against changing American gun laws, i'm fine now but in the future i may be affected.
  • edited August 2023
    I had a little drive about yesterday in Crayford area - the camera locations are rather odd, with the cameras out towards where the Jolly Farmers pub used to be just about right on the ULEZ border with Kent, but the cameras in Crayford not on the border - you can drive into Crayford town centre (retail park, Sainsbury’s) and whilst you are in ULEZ, you would only be picked up around where Bear and Ragged Staff is - mind you the one way system would mean going to Sainsbury’s would result in being picked up on a camera when you left (if you parked in Sainbury’s car park)

Judging by the camera location map I have found, you can go from Kent to Bexley village and there are no cameras for Bexley village - whether this is because they have not installed them yet is another matter

It all seems rather odd - I thought every boundary would have cameras, but on the border of ULEZ it is a bit haphazard at present

https://ulez.co.uk/ulez-camera-locations/ 
  • What percentage of vehicles are non compliant? 

Can't see EVs as any sort of solution. The battery technology is still limited allied to the high cost of vehicles, problems with disposing of batteries and a poor charging structure.

Invariably those least affected will be most in favour and ultimately a lot of people will be driven off the road.

The whole thing seems half arsed.

Can't see EVs as any sort of solution. The battery technology is still limited allied to the high cost of vehicles, problems with disposing of batteries and a poor charging structure.

Invariably those least affected will be most in favour and ultimately a lot of people will be driven off the road.

Of course because they are still in their infancy. Demand will drive innovation. Battery and EV technology will look radically different in 5 years time. There has been recent announcements about massive breakthroughs in solid state batteries which should be pretty revolutionary. Todays EV's are not the solution but they are a step along that path. 

Of course because they are still in their infancy. Demand will drive innovation. Battery and EV technology will look radically different in 5 years time. There has been recent announcements about massive breakthroughs in solid state batteries which should be pretty revolutionary. Todays EV's are not the solution but they are a step along that path. 
    Undoubtedly things will improve but they are a mile off at present given the timescales we have. The whole thing hasn't been thought through and I can't see huge progress to combat the existing issues in five years time.

A lot of EVs offer poor value and limited range at present and this will be the second hand stock entering the market. 
  • Sponsored links:

According to TFL Data the daily average of vehicles in the Extended ULEZ area in November 2022 was approx 800,000 of which  80,000 were non compliant so around 10%.

Undoubtedly things will improve but they are a mile off at present given the timescales we have. The whole thing hasn't been thought through and I can't see huge progress to combat the existing issues in five years time.

A lot of EVs offer poor value and limited range at present and this will be the second hand stock entering the market. 
    You sure about that? Even the cheapest of EVs will do 200 miles on a full charge, that will get the majority of people where they need to do for at least a few days, especially in inner cities where most journeys are a couple of miles. As for second hand a lot of EVs hold their value incredibly well, no doubt influenced by the low running and maintenance costs. Charging points yes you have a point however anyone with a driveway can charge at home and the network is growing all the time, some boroughs have a lot of public charging points unfortunately some others are severly lacking.
  • If they can somehow find a solution to the no driveway to charge your wheels issue then more electric vehicles will be demanded.
    Sometimes I see cars being charged with some kind of extension lead across a public path and concluding how unsatisfactory that is for all concerned, and an open invitation to vandalism.
  • clive said:
    seth plum said:
    If they can somehow find a solution to the no driveway to charge your wheels issue then more electric vehicles will be demanded.
    Sometimes I see cars being charged with some kind of extension lead across a public path and concluding how unsatisfactory that is for all concerned, and an open invitation to vandalism.
    Also how are people in high rise flats expected to charge their vehicles.
    A lot of them don't have any car parking facilities! Pretty sure none of the Lewisham Gateway flats have,others have underground parking and you can install EVCP in there.
  • clive said:
    seth plum said:
    If they can somehow find a solution to the no driveway to charge your wheels issue then more electric vehicles will be demanded.
    Also how are people in high rise flats expected to charge their vehicles.
    Public lamp post charging. As I said some councils have installed a lot of them (Southwark being one of the best) https://www.zap-map.com/live/ 

Equally though, how many in high rises even own a car now? Fairly sure a lot of the new build flats in London now don't even offer a car parking space. 
  • edited August 2023
    colthe3rd said:
    What percentage of vehicles are non compliant? 

You sure about that? Even the cheapest of EVs will do 200 miles on a full charge, that will get the majority of people where they need to do for at least a few days, especially in inner cities where most journeys are a couple of miles. As for second hand a lot of EVs hold their value incredibly well, no doubt influenced by the low running and maintenance costs. Charging points yes you have a point however anyone with a driveway can charge at home and the network is growing all the time, some boroughs have a lot of public charging points unfortunately some others are severly lacking.
    https://ev-database.org/uk/cheatsheet/range-electric-car

Plenty of vehicles in the sub 200 range and I doubt a lot of the claimed range figures are achievable. The batteries will also degrade over time.

EVs remain very expensive and the batteries potentially require replacement at 10 years. Inner city driving is fine but for longer journeys the charging network remains an issue.

Recycling/disposal of batteries remains an unanswered issue and the charging network in much of London is sadly lacking. A lack of forward planning.
  • On a side note, I hear the turning of central Lewisham into Dallas is not a success. Unaffordable brutalist clusters of high rises where the lifts and plumbing is regularly going wrong.
    It has been going on for years, and the people obliged to use the bus stops down the slope from the station and the DLR are forced by the building companies to virtually stand on the busy A20 one way system breathing in the (compliant?) exhaust fumes from all the traffic.
  • colthe3rd said:

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? From that site average range = 225 miles. The cars with the lowest range on that list are nearly all city cars where you don't need massive range.
  • seth plum said:
    On a side note, I hear the turning of central Lewisham into Dallas is not a success. Unaffordable brutalist clusters of high rises where the lifts and plumbing is regularly going wrong.
    It has been going on for years, and the people obliged to use the bus stops down the slope from the station and the DLR are forced by the building companies to virtually stand on the busy A20 one way system breathing in the (compliant?) exhaust fumes from all the traffic.
    Pretty dreadful what they've done - bizarre planning.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
    .colthe3rd said:

You sure about that? Even the cheapest of EVs will do 200 miles on a full charge, that will get the majority of people where they need to do for at least a few days, especially in inner cities where most journeys are a couple of miles. As for second hand a lot of EVs hold their value incredibly well, no doubt influenced by the low running and maintenance costs. Charging points yes you have a point however anyone with a driveway can charge at home and the network is growing all the time, some boroughs have a lot of public charging points unfortunately some others are severely lacking.
    There are quite a few EVs in our road, and none have driveways. They run the cable across the pavement (under a mat) to charge the car. The streetlights are having charge points added. 
    I was thinking of leasing an EV in the next year or so.
    High rise flats will be ringed with charge points in the future.  
  • colthe3rd said:
    colthe3rd said:

Are you agreeing or disagreeing with me? From that site average range = 225 miles. The cars with the lowest range on that list are nearly all city cars where you don't need massive range.
    I've updated my post to outline my concerns.
  • WSS said:
    the uncomfortable reality for people is we'll see more and more crackdowns on carbon emitting machines as we struggle to hit net zero and face down climate change and will make this ULEZ a cakewalk in comparison. The chickens are coming home to roost - you should have done something sooner.
    "you"?
    Not his / her generation that has caused the issue, but "yours". Just surprised he / she didn't use the word "boomer" just to underline the nonsense of the post. 
    Am I wrong? If you really think ulez is the end of restrictions on emission machines like cars you’re extremely mistaken. Global warming is only going to get worse, and there’s one particular generation who’s done nothing to stop it.
  • colthe3rd said:

Plenty of vehicles in the sub 200 range and I doubt a lot of the claimed range figures are achievable. The batteries will also degrade over time.

EVs remain very expensive and the batteries potentially require replacement at 10 years. Inner city driving is fine but for longer journeys the charging network remains an issue.

Recycling/disposal of batteries remains an unanswered issue and the charging network in much of London is sadly lacking. A lack of forward planning.
    All good points, but all of these issues are improving, and will improve rapidly over time. You should see what they used to say about air travel!

Of course because they are still in their infancy. Demand will drive innovation. 
    Battery and EV technology will look radically different in 5 years time. There has been recent announcements about massive breakthroughs in solid state batteries which should be pretty revolutionary. Todays EV's are not the solution but they are a step along that path. 
    Exactly. Funny how those that ask for the “market to decide” and for london mayor to take libertarian measures don’t actually understand fundamentally how capitalism works.
  • seth plum said:
    On a side note, I hear the turning of central Lewisham into Dallas is not a success. Unaffordable brutalist clusters of high rises where the lifts and plumbing is regularly going wrong.
    Yeah the building work has been a prick, not enough space for people to get about. They seem to be full though so unaffordable is a slightly strong. The ones near the railway line from where Carpet Right was to where the scrape heap was are student accommodations.
  • edited August 2023
    One question I have always had with electric cars is why do they use so much metal? The first electric cars were small because the ethos was accross the board. Surely they should be traditional car size at most and total production and disposal implications should be a factor that seems to me to be ignored now. This is a big reason why I don't trust them and that lack of trust is compounded by the car companies fiddling diesel emmisions. These companies couldn't give a toss about the environment and that has been proven.
  • JamesSeed said:
    .colthe3rd said:

You sure about that? Even the cheapest of EVs will do 200 miles on a full charge, that will get the majority of people where they need to do for at least a few days, especially in inner cities where most journeys are a couple of miles. As for second hand a lot of EVs hold their value incredibly well, no doubt influenced by the low running and maintenance costs. Charging points yes you have a point however anyone with a driveway can charge at home and the network is growing all the time, some boroughs have a lot of public charging points unfortunately some others are severely lacking.
    There are quite a few EVs in our road, and none have driveways. They run the cable across the pavement (under a mat) to charge the car. The streetlights are having charge points added. 
    I was thinking of leasing a EV in the next year or so.
    High rise flats will be ringed with charge points in the future.  
    Yeah I think at the moment if you want to run a cable across the pavement it is at each council's discretion whether you are allowed to or not, of course I'm sure some don't even bother asking. There are some developments in the pipeline where cable trenches will stretch from houses under the pavement where you can lift up a flap and run the cable through to your car. Obviously I'm sure this would be at the household's expense but would help a lot of the issues of lack of charge points.

I've had an electric since late last year (it wasn't my first choice but I was in need of a car for a while and it was one of the few options available). I don't have a driveway but I've not really had an issues with not being able to charge when I've needed to. I think a lot of these concerns come from people who have never had to use an electric car (I'll admit it was a concern of mine) but in reality it just hasn't been the case.
  • One question I have always had with electric cars is why do they use so much metal? The first electric cars were small because the ethos was accross the board. Surely they should be traditional car size at most and total production and disposal implications should be a factor that seems to me to be ignored now. This is a big reason why I don't trust them and that lack of trust is compounded by the car companies fiddling diesel emmisions. These companies couldn't give a toss about the environment and that has been proven.
    Why do electric cars use so much material that’s a great conductor of electricity? 
  • Zero Emissions Zone plan delayed for now but no doubt will rear it's head again in the future sometime.

For anyone who thinks ULEZ is the end of it, it won't be, the revenue stream will continue until it seems all non-electric vehicle are off the road at some point.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66647266