Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ULEZ Checker

Comments

• Chizz said:
    Had the Mayor not expanded Boris Johnson's ULEZ, he'd have been stripped of post-Covid government support for the Underground.  The Transport Minister wrote to the Mayor telling him he had to expand ULEZ in order to receive the bailout required to keep the Underground running. 

What would most people's views have been if the ULEZ expansion had been cancelled, but the Underground had been shut? 
    That was I think more specifically confirming the extension to the south circular which had been forewarned. 

The issue with this latest evolution is timing and lack of notice at a time of financial hardship. 

Most do not object on the merits of helping improve air quality albeit the gains in outer London may be marginal. 
    When it was introduced in inner London the country was experiencing an economic boom.

The fact there was hardly any fuss when it was introduced in inner London (by the Tories) compared to the Helen Lovejoy reaction to outer London is extraordinary (by the London Mayor). People can draw their own conclusions as to why. 
    I guess in inner London many more do not drive (being so close to the centre) and face far more choices on public transport. 

This of course is also a case of NIMBY but regardless the timing and lack of notice are the elements which rile most.  
    They're probably both correct, but surely the care worker having to pay to drive to work stories would still occur in inner London? Yet, where they? I think outer London council leaders taking Khan to court (wasting tax payer's money) has massively played into it.
    Not my point at all.

Care to comment on the reasonableness of timing & notice ?
    This thread is on page 27 and it was expanded into Greater London yesterday. How much notice did Inner London get? Those in outer London would have been more prepared, surely a lot of them would have been driving into the inner zone? I get people's outrage of it, although chances are their car is fine, just find the reactions interesting. I can't recall any cameras in Lewisham being smashed up.
    About 3 years I think for some. Certainly I'm under the impression it was stated in 2018 it would come to N/S Circular.

I cant get comfortable that 9 months notice this time is appropriate including going straight to a £12.50 level fine.

Khan was interviewed on BBC News last night and would not answer that point at all. Its ultimately the right thing to do but there are better ways of introducing it. 

Part of me wonders if the TFL forecast is flawed and actually it might be cash negative - if we are confident 9/10 cars are compliant maybe the 1/10 will ditch the vehicle  and/or not enter the zone and in which case the cash wont flow and it will be a deficit given the infrastructure investment and fees to whoever is outsourced to help run it.

Time will tell as will the rhetoric and campaigning come the mayoral elections.
  • the fact the grifter nigel farage has attached himself to the anti ulez campaign tells you all you need to know about those types.
    Ah the old "racists eat breakfast, therefore people who eat breakfast are racist" argument
  • Interestingly Station Road is within the Greater London Boundry and part of the London Borough of Bexley as are a number roads to the right looking towards the retail estate, but are not inside the ULEZ Area. 
  • It’s ok. The poor can’t afford to shop in those shops anyway. 
  • MrOneLung said:
    It’s ok. The poor can’t afford to shop in those shops anyway. 

They are the demographic least likely to own a car
  • The cleaner air will not affect groups of people disproportionately but everybody much the same.
  • Working?
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    The cleaner air will not affect groups of people disproportionately but everybody much the same.
    The truth is the scheme will have an incredibly trivial impact on the air quality in more rural parts of London, but a very real financial impact on people who are already struggling.

If Boris Johnson had brought this in, you would be going mental.
    He did https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/ultra-low-emission-zone
  • edited August 2023
    I meant its arbitrary expansion to the whole of greater London, including areas where air quality is good.
  • It's funny how left-wing types are typically in favour of ULEZ despite it disproportionately affecting the poor.

15 years ago this type of scheme would have been seen as a disaster. Just shows how the demographics of the political divide have changed.
    It’s a good point and probably why starmer is radio silent about it. 

As you infer, the rich ain’t bothered or going to be affected by ULEZ. It’s the lower to medium income people. 
  • I meant its arbitrary expansion to the whole of greater London, including areas where air quality is good.
    The bit of London that disproportionately affects the poor? 
  • I meant its arbitrary expansion to the whole of greater London, including areas where air quality is good.
    The bit of London that disproportionately affects the poor? 
    That bit of London has fantastic public transport infrastructure so it isn't an apples and apples comparison.

Don't get me wrong - I oppose the scheme in all its forms. 
  • It's funny how left-wing types are typically in favour of ULEZ despite it disproportionately affecting the poor.

15 years ago this type of scheme would have been seen as a disaster. Just shows how the demographics of the political divide have changed.
    The poorest London live in inner London, unless the good people of Keston and Franborough are now struggling?

• I have obtained a certificate of compliance for my vehicle which I have been told exempts me from having to pay the ULEZ .
    However having been on the ULEZ website I can find no mention of this certificate or anywhere to register it, has anybody else heard of this and if so had success registering?
  • Rothko said:
    It's funny how left-wing types are typically in favour of ULEZ despite it disproportionately affecting the poor.

The poorest London live in inner London, unless the good people of Keston and Franborough are now struggling?

Slade Green, Crayford, Erith, Thamesmead........
  • Bournesnr said:
    I have obtained a certificate of compliance for my vehicle which I have been told exempts me from having to pay the ULEZ .
    However having been on the ULEZ website I can find no mention of this certificate or anywhere to register it, has anybody else heard of this and if so had success registering?
    https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/compliance-registration/before-you-start
  • seth plum said:
    The cleaner air will not affect groups of people disproportionately but everybody much the same.
    The truth is the scheme will have an incredibly trivial impact on the air quality in more rural parts of London, but a very real financial impact on people who are already struggling.

If Boris Johnson had brought this in, you would be going mental.
    He did https://www.london.gov.uk/press-releases/mayoral/ultra-low-emission-zone
    Only he didn't. Yes it was his idea yet a decade later Khan brings it in. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Bournesnr said:
    I have obtained a certificate of compliance for my vehicle which I have been told exempts me from having to pay the ULEZ .
    It took me about 3 months to get it approved by TFL.
  • MrOneLung said:
    It’s ok. The poor can’t afford to shop in those shops anyway.                             

Bet they will still use Macdonalds though.😁 
  • Mate's Mrs (They're in Slade Green) is still waiting for Certificate of Conformity from Mercedes as her car is over the required age for diesel cars to comply, but emits under the required amount of NOx. She's been waiting a couple of months and called them last week, to be told they're working through a backlog. I understand it's the same story at the next hurdle regarding getting it processed by TFL. Meantime, the car is sat in their parking bay, while they work out a route for her to get to her jobs without going past a camara. Apparently it's do'able in Slade Green

• seth plum said:
    Actually poorer people are more likely to live on busier roads with worse air quality whist those better off can pay for quieter roads.
  • Nothing worse than pointless government interference. Just leave people alone.