Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ULEZ Checker

Comments

• Rothko said:
    seth plum said:
    Young Ella died from the air pollution according to the experts. That was ten years ago.
    If the present ULEZ expansion saves the life of one more child over the next ten years will it have been worth it?
    Finally we can give the people of Biggin Hill clean air.
    My wife grew up in Biggin Hill, had asthma caused by air pollution there 
    Gimme a break - your wife's asthma was not caused by 10% of cars driving around Biggin Hill
    More likely the aircraft one might think.
    No it's Aunt Julie's Renault 5.
  • Had the Mayor not expanded Boris Johnson's ULEZ, he'd have been stripped of post-Covid government support for the Underground.  The Transport Minister wrote to the Mayor telling him he had to expand ULEZ in order to receive the bailout required to keep the Underground running. 

What would most people's views have been if the ULEZ expansion had been cancelled, but the Underground had been shut? 
  • edited August 2023
    Chizz said:
    Had the Mayor not expanded Boris Johnson's ULEZ, he'd have been stripped of post-Covid government support for the Underground.  The Transport Minister wrote to the Mayor telling him he had to expand ULEZ in order to receive the bailout required to keep the Underground running. 

What would most people's views have been if the ULEZ expansion had been cancelled, but the Underground had been shut? 
    That was I think more specifically confirming the extension to the south circular which had been forewarned. 

The issue with this latest evolution is timing and lack of notice at a time of financial hardship. 

Most do not object on the merits of helping improve air quality albeit the gains in outer London may be marginal. 
  • Chizz said:
    Had the Mayor not expanded Boris Johnson's ULEZ, he'd have been stripped of post-Covid government support for the Underground.  The Transport Minister wrote to the Mayor telling him he had to expand ULEZ in order to receive the bailout required to keep the Underground running. 

That was I think more specifically confirming the extension to the south circular which had been forewarned. 

The issue with this latest evolution is timing and lack of notice at a time of financial hardship. 

Most do not object on the merits of helping improve air quality albeit the gains in outer London may be marginal. 
    When it was introduced in inner London the country was experiencing an economic boom.

The fact there was hardly any fuss when it was introduced in inner London (by the Tories) compared to the Helen Lovejoy reaction to outer London is extraordinary (by the London Mayor). People can draw their own conclusions as to why. 
  • Some people dispute that ULEZ will improve air quality.
    Not me though.
    Incidentally (I won’t name him) I knew a boy living in Biggin Hill who died of an asthma attack in 2004.
  • Chizz said:

When it was introduced in inner London the country was experiencing an economic boom.

The fact there was hardly any fuss when it was introduced in inner London (by the Tories) compared to the Helen Lovejoy reaction to outer London is extraordinary (by the London Mayor). People can draw their own conclusions as to why. 
    I guess in inner London many more do not drive (being so close to the centre) and face far more choices on public transport. 

This of course is also a case of NIMBY but regardless the timing and lack of notice are the elements which rile most.  
  • Surely any cars that have been deterred from driving around Orpington or Esher will pale into insignificance when you consider the amount of polluters going round and around the M25, 24 hours a day, completely free of charge?

Accept that this would be virtually impossible to put into practice, but the point still stands as far as cars having to pay to use a back roads, probably not going over 40mph, and those ragging older cars around the M25

• Family moved to a more rural area, and it cleared up, and was fine until she moved back to London in her early 20s, when it flared up again. Sorry that doesn’t fit the stories on some random Facebook group, as Seth pointed out, these issues aren’t restricted to inner London 
  • Chizz said:

I guess in inner London many more do not drive (being so close to the centre) and face far more choices on public transport. 

This of course is also a case of NIMBY but regardless the timing and lack of notice are the elements which rile most.  
    They're probably both correct, but surely the care worker having to pay to drive to work stories would still occur in inner London? Yet, where they? I think outer London council leaders taking Khan to court (wasting tax payer's money) has massively played into it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:

The Transport Minister wrote to the Mayor asking for a proposal
  • MrOneLung said:
    Is it correct that the roundabout outside Crayford Retail park at bottom of Station Road is outside the zone but if you drive into the car park it is in the zone ? 
    Judging by the map, yes - gonna cost me £12.50 to take my dogs to the vet because of this  - just to go 50 yards into the retail park !!!
  • MrOneLung said:
    Is it correct that the roundabout outside Crayford Retail park at bottom of Station Road is outside the zone but if you drive into the car park it is in the zone ? 
    Judging by the map, yes - gonna cost me £12.50 to take my dogs to the vet because of this  - just to go 50 yards into the retail park !!!
    Park up station road opposite & walk down.
  • Not sure there will be any ULEZ cameras at the entrance/exit to the (private land) retail park or within it. I will check next time I go that way.
  • the fact the grifter nigel farage has attached himself to the anti ulez campaign tells you all you need to know about those types.
    You mean man of the people, former stockbroker Mr Farage along with Tory councils aren't actually interested in the impact this has on the poor?
  • edited August 2023
    Dansk_Red said:
    Not sure there will be any ULEZ cameras at the entrance/exit to the (private land) retail park or within it. I will check next time I go that way.
    Two of the four exits have ULEZ signs, one going to Crayford and the other going into the retail park.
  • Chizz said:

They're probably both correct, but surely the care worker having to pay to drive to work stories would still occur in inner London? Yet, where they? I think outer London council leaders taking Khan to court (wasting tax payer's money) has massively played into it.
    Not my point at all.

Care to comment on the reasonableness of timing & notice ?
  • the fact the grifter nigel farage has attached himself to the anti ulez campaign tells you all you need to know about those types.
    Are you bracketing all anti ULEZ residents the same?

Surely you can see this is a very specific London issue which is impacting many residents  & anyone's views on it need not align to any political leaning.

For me (I repeat) its not the cause so much as the timing and the way it is being introduced.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited August 2023
    There was a guy being interviewed in Bromley High Street yesterday for one of the lesser  channels. Basically paraphrasing him, "People voted for  mayors, they also voted Conservative at general elections.  If you  didn't want ULEZ, tough you lost get over it.  Thats democracy."
    It made me laugh, obviously aimed as a piece to rile the viewers up.
    My personal feelings to ULEZ, its here now, the government are reluctant to do anything as they don't want to appear to back track on green issues once again and by the time of the next election none of the main parties will be talking about it. Any costs incurred by businesses will be passed on. And it will be rolled out across many more towns and cities. 

• Chizz said:

Not my point at all.

This thread is on page 27 and it was expanded into Greater London yesterday. How much notice did Inner London get? Those in outer London would have been more prepared, surely a lot of them would have been driving into the inner zone? I get people's outrage of it, although chances are their car is fine, just find the reactions interesting. I can't recall any cameras in Lewisham being smashed up.
  • edited August 2023
    Chizz said:

Not my point at all.

This thread is on page 27 and it was expanded into Greater London yesterday. How much notice did Inner London get? Those in outer London would have been more prepared, surely a lot of them would have been driving into the inner zone? I get people's outrage of it, although chances are their car is fine, just find the reactions interesting. I can't recall any cameras in Lewisham being smashed up.
    Millwall fans had done them already.🤪
  • edited August 2023
    The LTN camera when it existed on Manor Lane, Lee, near the Manor Cafe and the two railway bridges, was vandalised several times and set on fire a couple of times near the base to melt the wiring mainly during the lockdown times. So camera destruction has happened in the Lindon Borough of Lewisham.
    There is no general camera at that point now, but very large vehicles are still restricted.
  • MrOneLung said:
    Park up station road opposite & walk down.
    Good idea - hadn’t thought of that - BUT I have found a ULEZ camera check website - the cameras in Crayford are not right on the boundary - they are near the Bear and Ragged Staff - I will double check before I drive my non compliant vehicle there, but it looks like you can go into the retail park and not get ‘caught on camera’ (hopefully)
  • edited August 2023
    There was a guy being interviewed in Bromley High Street yesterday for one of the lesser  channels. Basically paraphrasing him, "People voted for  mayors, they also voted Conservative at general elections.  If you  didn't want ULEZ, tough you lost get over it.  Thats democracy."
    It made me laugh, obviously aimed as a piece to rile the viewers up.
    My personal feelings to ULEZ, its here now, the government are reluctant to do anything as they don't want to appear to back track on green issues once again and by the time of the next election none of the main parties will be talking about it. Any costs incurred by businesses will be passed on. And it will be rolled out across many more towns and cities. 

Carry on ULEZ with Dr Nookey
  • the uncomfortable reality for people is we'll see more and more crackdowns on carbon emitting machines as we struggle to hit net zero and face down climate change and will make this ULEZ a cakewalk in comparison. The chickens are coming home to roost - you should have done something sooner.
    "you"?