Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ULEZ Checker

Comments

• Pretty civilised debate on here compared to Twitter where it’s a real cesspit. Iain Duncan Smith supporting the destruction of the cameras was an eye opener, and the owner of Pimlico Plumbers calling for Khan to be killed has taken it to a whole new level. 
    Gotta say Khan has balls for going ahead with this, despite the fact that it’s probably a vote loser and he’s actually receiving death threats. 
  • edited August 2023
    Birmingham ULEZ/CAZ cuts pollution by 7%.

Although it was predicted to fall by 13% its a clear statistic to support restrictions.

The article notes that weather and seasons make the prediction situation very complicated.

A clean city centre also seems to lead to cleaner outer districts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-66660039

• edited August 2023
    seth plum said:
    On a side note, I hear the turning of central Lewisham into Dallas is not a success. Unaffordable brutalist clusters of high rises where the lifts and plumbing is regularly going wrong.
    It has been going on for years, and the people obliged to use the bus stops down the slope from the station and the DLR are forced by the building companies to virtually stand on the busy A20 one way system breathing in the (compliant?) exhaust fumes from all the traffic.
    Yeah the building work has been a prick, not enough space for people to get about. They seem to be full though so unaffordable is a slightly strong. The ones near the railway line from where Carpet Right was to where the scrape heap was are student accommodations.
    When there was ‘consultation’ with the building company proposing the development at Leegate what they meant by ‘affordable’ it was awkward for them. I cited the salary of a graduate staff nurse with eight years experience at Lewisham Hospital as a helpful starting point for the conversation, there was no answer beyond taking my details and promising to get back to me, which never happened.
    Unaffordable might come across as slightly strong, but maybe those brutalist structures have been bought by property businesspeople who are squeezing rents out of whoever.
    I doubt if any of those places are affordable for a food delivery person working eleven hour days seven days a week.
  • edited August 2023
    If it is shown to cut air polution and save lives and indeed prolong lives, including those of some of us, I suspect it will gain support pretty quickly. So maybe Khan believes this will happen. I don't know if it will or not and nor do some of those getting rabid about it. A lot of those screaming the loudest couldn't give a shit about poor people either! Iain Duncan Smith, a man of the people? Pull the other one! It has been introduced and we will see one way or the other. Surely holding the mayor's feet to the fire if air quality isn't significantly improved is the way we should go from here.
  • edited August 2023
  • edited August 2023
    WSS said:
    the uncomfortable reality for people is we'll see more and more crackdowns on carbon emitting machines as we struggle to hit net zero and face down climate change and will make this ULEZ a cakewalk in comparison. The chickens are coming home to roost - you should have done something sooner.
    "you"?
    Not his / her generation that has caused the issue, but "yours". Just surprised he / she didn't use the word "boomer" just to underline the nonsense of the post. 
    Am I wrong? If you really think ulez is the end of restrictions on emission machines like cars you’re extremely mistaken. Global warming is only going to get worse, and there’s one particular generation who’s done nothing to stop it.
    I think we've been here before with one of your "boomer" (fuck me what a dreadful word) generational conversations before.

Of course your "accusation" is bollocks, unless you are adamant that you would have behaved differently had you been born 20 / 30 years earlier. If you had been born in 1950 / 60 / 70, what would you have done differently?
  • edited August 2023
    WSS said:
    the uncomfortable reality for people is we'll see more and more crackdowns on carbon emitting machines as we struggle to hit net zero and face down climate change and will make this ULEZ a cakewalk in comparison. The chickens are coming home to roost - you should have done something sooner.
    "you"?
    Not his / her generation that has caused the issue, but "yours". Just surprised he / she didn't use the word "boomer" just to underline the nonsense of the post. 
    Am I wrong? If you really think ulez is the end of restrictions on emission machines like cars you’re extremely mistaken. Global warming is only going to get worse, and there’s one particular generation who’s done nothing to stop it.
    I think we've been here before with one of your "boomer" (fuck me what a dreadful word) generational conversations before.

Of course your "accusation" is bollocks, unless you are adamant that you would have behaved differently had you been born 20 / 30 years earlier. If you had been born in 1950 / 60 / 70, what would you have done differently?
    I certainly wouldn't have supported wrecking the environment and housing market, and then have the gall to complain about the chickens coming home to roost later in my life. The science has always been there. The boomer generation will be remembered as the most selfish generation of modern times. It's up to everyone else to pick up the pieces. The literal only argument that comes back is "i'm offended by this generalisation because it makes me think I might be responsible for my actions/non actions"
  • WSS said:
    "you"?

I certainly wouldn't have supported wrecking the environment and housing market, and then have the gall to complain about the chickens coming home to roost later in my life. The science has always been there. The boomer generation will be remembered as the most selfish generation of modern times. It's up to everyone else to pick up the pieces. The literal only argument that comes back is "i'm offended by this generalisation because it makes me think I might be responsible for my actions/non actions"
    It’s easy to say that with hindsight. Those of us who grew up in the sixties were just getting on with our lives. When I bought my first flat in the seventies 22 grand felt like a lot of money, at probably five times my salary as it was then. 
    I wouldn’t say we were selfish, just very lucky.
    If you need someone to blame, blame the Tories (other parties are available). 
  • Sponsored links:

• I have an aversion to cowboy tradespeople.
    My Polish plumber is not a cowboy, insists on receipts, does a thorough job, fairly priced...and he has never said to me he would like Sadiq Khan killed because of ULEZ.
  • Not got anything against ev's, but we've got a green in front of our house so we definitely couldn't charge one up at home.
  • JamesSeed said:
    Pretty civilised debate on here compared to Twitter where it’s a real cesspit. Iain Duncan Smith supporting the destruction of the cameras was an eye opener, and the owner of Pimlico Plumbers calling for Khan to be killed has taken it to a whole new level. 
    Gotta say Khan has balls for going ahead with this, despite the fact that it’s probably a vote loser and he’s actually receiving death threats. 
    You may have spoke too soon :confused:
  • seth plum said:
    seth plum said:
    On a side note, I hear the turning of central Lewisham into Dallas is not a success. Unaffordable brutalist clusters of high rises where the lifts and plumbing is regularly going wrong.
    It has been going on for years, and the people obliged to use the bus stops down the slope from the station and the DLR are forced by the building companies to virtually stand on the busy A20 one way system breathing in the (compliant?) exhaust fumes from all the traffic.
    Yeah the building work has been a prick, not enough space for people to get about. They seem to be full though so unaffordable is a slightly strong. The ones near the railway line from where Carpet Right was to where the scrape heap was are student accommodations.
    When there was ‘consultation’ with the building company proposing the development at Leegate what they meant by ‘affordable’ it was awkward for them. I cited the salary of a graduate staff nurse with eight years experience at Lewisham Hospital as a helpful starting point for the conversation, there was no answer beyond taking my details and promising to get back to me, which never happened.
    Unaffordable might come across as slightly strong, but maybe those brutalist structures have been bought by property businesspeople who are squeezing rents out of whoever.
    I doubt if any of those places are affordable for a food delivery person working eleven hour days seven days a week.

Yet the council gave them permission to build, then build more and then build some more
  • WSS said:
    "you"?

Who did support it? People getting on with their lives in the context of the times? If you had been born in 1950, would you have refused to buy a house when you were in your twenties on the basis that at some undetermined point in the future, things might look different?

Of course you wouldn't have, because you wouldn't have had the context to understand the impact of your decision.

I'll trade your "boomer" for "snowflake". 

I think this interaction has shown it's boomers who are the snowflakes. Take your medicine, as i said - the chickens are coming home to roost.
  • WSS said:
    "you"?

Who did support it? People getting on with their lives in the context of the times? If you had been born in 1950, would you have refused to buy a house when you were in your twenties on the basis that at some undetermined point in the future, things might look different?

Of course you wouldn't have, because you wouldn't have had the context to understand the impact of your decision.

I think this interaction has shown it's boomers who are the snowflakes. Take your medicine, as i said - the chickens are coming home to roost.
    But what are the acts that that generation undertook that we are now feeling the repercussions of, and what would you, in the context of the time and available knowledge, have done differently? It's a fair question. 

ps I'm not a member of the "baby boomer" generation...
  • WSS said:
    "you"?

But what are the acts that that generation undertook that we are now feeling the repercussions of, and what would you, in the context of the time and available knowledge, have done differently? It's a fair question. 

I think this is clearly an attempt at sealioning - Considering this is a thread re the ULEZ and what's been mentioned about global warming, health etc as well as other crushing economic factors in the south east and the capital I think it's pretty self evident. 

Let's get the conversation back on topic - ULEZ will not be the last restriction on carbon emitting machines, and I can't believe people are shocked other than it's taken us this long. Hopefully we'll see it nationwide before long.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rothko said:
    My own very personal view is that London (and most UK cities) would be hugely improved by taking the car out of them, always think of the best European cities were they are pedestrian focused and the public spaces are great. 
    not *that* long ago cities like utrecht in the netherlands went out of their way to pedestrianise and plant urban trees in their cities. It transformed them into really pleasant places. 
  • cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Yet the council gave them permission to build, then build more and then build some more
    Yes. I wouldn’t be surprised if backhanders were involved.
    Very poor development.
  • WSS said:
    "you"?

I think this is clearly an attempt at sealioning - Considering this is a thread re the ULEZ and what's been mentioned about global warming, health etc as well as other crushing economic factors in the south east and the capital I think it's pretty self evident. 

Let's get the conversation back on topic - ULEZ will not be the last restriction on carbon emitting machines, and I can't believe people are shocked other than it's taken us this long. Hopefully we'll see it nationwide before long.
    I admit I had to google sealioning, so maybe there is a generational gap.

Happy to leave there and get back to the topic, whilst recognising that you have criticised a whole chunk of this forum without being able to articulate the reason for that criticism, nor being willing to say why you would have avoided that criticism. 
  • Hold up...aren't/weren't 'boomers' born in the 50's? Baby boom after the war...or is it just something that anyone under 30 likes to try and throw at people older than them? Am getting very confused by @kentaddick and their knowledge of peoples' ages on here...it's distractiing me from the ULEZ conversation...and can we discuss LTNs here while we're at it?
  • seth plum said:
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Very poor development.
    Lewisham Council has a lot to answer for.

Not just lewisham either - I went over to Wembley last weekend and it's the same
  • seth plum said:
    cafc999 said:
    seth plum said:
    seth plum said:

Very poor development.
    https://www.fromthemurkydepths.co.uk/2023/08/31/latest-look-at-lewisham-as-major-retail-and-housing-plan-procedes/
  • JamesSeed said:
    WSS said:
    "you"?

It’s easy to say that with hindsight. Those of us who grew up in the sixties were just getting on with our lives. When I bought my first flat in the seventies 22 grand felt like a lot of money, at probably five times my salary as it was then. 
    I wouldn’t say we were selfish, just very lucky.
    If you need someone to blame, blame the Tories (other parties are available). 
    it wasn't simply luck - your parents generation - the greatest generation, the one that grew up through the great depression and defeated fascism, created a world for you in which you could afford to buy a house on a single salary and be able to buy somewhere 5x your salary. They also created a world in which if you were out of work you could fall back on the welfare state etc. 

The boomers have since voted in droves to pull the ladder up and destroy the world their parents built for them (brexit, some wallies still saying we should dissolve NATO). As well as destroying the planet. Don't be shocked now that it's now going to be time to pay the piper. 
    Ah, now I see where you’re coming from. 👍
  • I blame all that crypto-mining

all these generation x/y/z whatever we are up to now, looking to make a fast buck on the environmentally damaging crypto markets
  • I thought this was a ULEZ thread and now I am reading about Sea lions.

To be fair sealioning sounds a bit interesting. Can you find videos anywhere? (Asking for a friend)