Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ULEZ Checker

Comments

• So much for the rule of law
  • edited September 2023
    It's not just boomers.... pretty much everybody in the "developed world" and of adult age now is likely to be judged by history as part of an age of excess and over indulgence that led to the suffering of future humans....

Radical changes are needed to avoid it...and ULEZ ain't that radical, lol 

Well, exactly. If you think ULEZ is infringing on your life then you’ve seen nothing yet.
    What do you predict will happen then?
    as i said, much harsher penalties on all carbon emitting machines. We're basically passed the tipping point on global warming, we'll need to act much harder and faster to counter act it. Otherwise our children and grandchildren are going to be dealing with a global mass migration and disastrous event on a larger level than the bronze age collapse and the dark ages (and guess who the history books will blame).
    Would anyone object if we were limited two two flight a year for holidays? Assuming it was shown that that policy would help? And possibly assuming that at least some other countries did the same?
    Personally I think I’d be ok with it. It might usher in a new golden age of train travel for one thing. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    It's not just boomers.... pretty much everybody in the "developed world" and of adult age now is likely to be judged by history as part of an age of excess and over indulgence that led to the suffering of future humans....

Well, exactly. If you think ULEZ is infringing on your life then you’ve seen nothing yet.
    as i said, much harsher penalties on all carbon emitting machines. We're basically passed the tipping point on global warming, we'll need to act much harder and faster to counter act it. Otherwise our children and grandchildren are going to be dealing with a global mass migration and disastrous event on a larger level than the bronze age collapse and the dark ages (and guess who the history books will blame).
    Would anyone object if we were limited two two flight a year for holidays? Assuming it was shown that that policy would help? And possibly assuming that at least some other countries did the same?
    Personally I think I’d be ok with it. It might usher in a new golden age of train travel for one thing. 
    Yes, on so many levels.
  • JamesSeed said:

Yes, on so many levels.
    JamesSeed said:

99.9% of people would object. We're not North Korea. You can't stop people from going to places.
    I thought we were saving the planet?

• JamesSeed said:

99.9% of people would object. We're not North Korea. You can't stop people from going to places.
    Can't you?

It was only a couple of years ago nearly every country around the world stopped people from going to places.
  • Nobody really cares about climate change. Not in any serious way.

Nobody doesn't go on holiday to save the planet 
    Nobody goes out of their way to buy 2nd hand items instead of newly manufactured stuff
    Nobody relies exclusively on public transport
    Nobody is freeing their arse off in their houses for any reason other than to save money

We all just carry out token gestures every now and again to make ourselves feel better. The second you actually start impinging on people's quality of life, they'd get very angry very quickly. 
    And look how quickly ‘business’ trips have become normal again despite Covid proving many aren’t truly needed. 

If you had such a rule there would be so many exemptions it wouldn’t be meaningful 

We all revert to type. 
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

Deary me 🤣 2 flights a year. One holiday abroad. Where would it stop. Would anyone object to only putting a certain amount of petrol in your car per year. I'd be ok with it.
  • Would anyone object to being limited to one product (an item of food, a household good etc) that is produced in whole or on part abroad given that will have been transported by air freight or by ship?

where would you stop in fundamentally collapsing the global economy and plunging millions into poverty.
  • Nobody really cares about climate change. Not in any serious way.

Nobody doesn't go on holiday to save the planet 
    Nobody goes out of their way to buy 2nd hand items instead of newly manufactured stuff
    Nobody relies exclusively on public transport
    Nobody is freeing their arse off in their houses for any reason other than to save money

We all just carry out token gestures every now and again to make ourselves feel better. The second you actually start impinging on people's quality of life, they'd get very angry very quickly. 
    Maybe we're in the situation we are is perhaps because the majority are unwilling to change their actions? We all know what we should be doing but we don't so then what's left? People won't change until they are forced to do it and we know if we carry on as we are there is not going to be much left pretty soon.
  • Our actions are completely irrelevant if China and India don't curb their emissions. Why would anyone ruin their quality of life for zero benefit?
  • It’s every conspiracy theory inspired nonsense now 
  • colthe3rd said:
    Our actions are completely irrelevant if China and India don't curb their emissions. Why would anyone ruin their quality of life for zero benefit?
    That's just whataboutism though. I'm not going to try because someone else isn't doesn't really cut it in any walk of life. We all need to do better. 
    so i should go on holiday less?
  • edited September 2023
    Would anyone object to being limited to one product (an item of food, a household good etc) that is produced in whole or on part abroad given that will have been transported by air freight or by ship?

where would you stop in fundamentally collapsing the global economy and plunging millions into poverty.
    Good points, but are you suggesting we shouldn’t take more drastic action if things get much worse. I think we’re going to have to. 
    And climate change is likely to plunge billions in to poverty if something isn’t done. It could certainly collapse the global economy. 

PS I’ll hold my hand up and say we have two holidays a year where we fly, and occasionally fly to The Hague to see my daughter and grandson. 
    I just feel that if it was decided that reducing air travel as part of a global effort to ‘save the planet’ was necessary I wouldn’t be too unhappy if restrictions were put in place, at least temporarily. Don’t think that’s asking too much. It just seems like we’ve given up. If you have kids and grandkids that’s a pretty horrific thought. 
    Nick, is your antipathy because you think climate change is a hoax, or do you think it won’t affect you because it won’t get really bad in your time?
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

The airlines woud probably object.
  • Dansk_Red said:
    What percentage of vehicles are non compliant? 

Can't see EVs as any sort of solution. The battery technology is still limited allied to the high cost of vehicles, problems with disposing of batteries and a poor charging structure.

Invariably those least affected will be most in favour and ultimately a lot of people will be driven off the road.

The whole thing seems half arsed.

According to TFL Data the daily average of vehicles in the Extended ULEZ area in November 2022 was approx 800,000 of which  80,000 were non compliant so around 10%.
    10% of drivers damaging up to 25% of ULEZ cameras is really not the mark of a civilised and democratic society.
  • Dansk_Red said:
    What percentage of vehicles are non compliant? 

Can't see EVs as any sort of solution. The battery technology is still limited allied to the high cost of vehicles, problems with disposing of batteries and a poor charging structure.

Invariably those least affected will be most in favour and ultimately a lot of people will be driven off the road.

The whole thing seems half arsed.

According to TFL Data the daily average of vehicles in the Extended ULEZ area in November 2022 was approx 800,000 of which  80,000 were non compliant so around 10%.
    10% of drivers damaging up to 25% of ULEZ cameras is really not the mark of a civilised and democratic society.
    Being spurred on by <1% of mouthy, paid twitter ‘commentators’
  • JamesSeed said:
    Would anyone object to being limited to one product (an item of food, a household good etc) that is produced in whole or on part abroad given that will have been transported by air freight or by ship?

Good points, but are you suggesting we shouldn’t take more drastic action if things get much worse. I think we’re going to have to. 
    And climate change is likely to plunge billions in to poverty if something isn’t done. It could certainly collapse the global economy. 

PS I’ll hold my hand up and say we have two holidays a year where we fly, and occasionally fly to The Hague to see my daughter and grandson. 
    I just feel that if it was decided that reducing air travel as part of a global effort to ‘save the planet’ was necessary I wouldn’t be too unhappy if restrictions were put in place, at least temporarily. Don’t think that’s asking too much. It just seems like we’ve given up. If you have kids and grandkids that’s a pretty horrific thought. 
    Nick, is your antipathy because you think climate change is a hoax, or do you think it won’t affect you because it won’t get really bad in your time?
    The answer to all of this is not regression or some centrally regulated lifestyle.

Individuals will make choices and ultimately policies, like ULEZ, will be introduced to "encourage" different behaviour.

Governments will continue the drive for clean energy and sustainable economies.

At the same time companies and industries that have an impact on the environment will be adapting their operations to reduce or mitigate their impact. The airline industry, for example, is investing in engine tech and the development of sustainable fuels. The reason is that the future of their industry is dependent on it.

Centrally imposed regulation that impacts on individuals lives or that will fundamentally change economies will cause the sort of disruption you predict from climate change much more rapidly.
  • If you don't want to fly for environmental reasons, don't. 

Governments are there to make sure that people who cause negative externalities pay appropriately (ULEZ, carbon taxes, cigarette duty) not to necessarily ban things. 

Maybe the answer is to tax flying much more heavily? Maybe you get taxed exponentially more on each subsequent flight? Banning though, no.
  • Our actions are completely irrelevant if China and India don't curb their emissions. Why would anyone ruin their quality of life for zero benefit?
    Ruin their quality of life by buying a newer car? Wouldn't people's quality of life be improved if the vehicles driving outside their homes were omitting less? Number of kids with Asthma at my school was mental, it's far lower these days. 
  • edited September 2023
    Also very briefly on destroying the cameras. 

There's 2 particular groups of idiots here. 

1) the group of people that condemn Just Stop Oil's actions but approve of the destruction of cameras.

2) the group of people that approve of Just Stop Oil's actions but condemn the destruction of cameras. 

"You don't understand how important this issue is therefore I can [insert stupid action here]" is an incredibly slippery slope in a democracy... If you view things in a black and white manner, you aren't using your brain and you're probably in a dangerous echo chamber. 
  • "Why won't the government stop me doing what I'm doing"  :D