Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

ULEZ Checker

Comments

• edited August 2023
    seth plum said:
    Gonna take some time to pass the £160 million (and rising) costs so far in order to be a money making exercise.
    And that is why it is the wrong time to introduce it. 

London can’t afford it right now and the likely positive impact on air quality in outer London is marginal according to some. 

It will generate cash short term but TFL own forecasts say declining very soon thereafter (until they move the goalposts and the justification). 
  • Can London not afford school meals for children either?
  • seth plum said:
    Young Ella died from the air pollution according to the experts. That was ten years ago.
    If the present ULEZ expansion saves the life of one more child over the next ten years will it have been worth it?
    But if you pay the £12.50 no one gives a shit.
  • Billy_Mix said:
    clive said:

Ulez: Drivers can reclaim charge in tax return - HMRC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-66645379
    This article is hugely misleading, there is virtually no story here at all.
    No trader or business operative filing Self Assessment tax returns should have any doubts about the deductibility of ULEZ charges.
    They are no different from parking fees or tolls on bridges, roads or tunnels.

The test for deductibility for income/corporation taxes is "wholly and necessarily incurred for the purpose of the trade"
    "wholly and exclusively...etc" is the test for deductibility of incurred VAT.  Duality of purpose falls foul of the VAT rules but not income or corporation tax.
    Obviously there's no VAT in the ULEZ charge.

Is it? Isn't there this quote from HMRC:

In a statement HMRC said: "Self Assessment customers are entitled to tax relief on travel expenses, including low emission zone charges, if they have been incurred wholly and exclusively for the purposes of the trade.

So aren't they saying a self employed/sole trader driver can offset?
  • seth plum said:
    Young Ella died from the air pollution according to the experts. That was ten years ago.
    If the present ULEZ expansion saves the life of one more child over the next ten years will it have been worth it?
    But if you pay the £12.50 no one gives a shit.
    Well quite.
    It could be said that at heart the whole ULEZ enterprise has been an exploration about how much of a shit people give, and what they do or don’t give a shit over.
  • seth plum said:
    Finally we can give the people of Biggin Hill clean air.
  • edited August 2023
    Should have been £2.50 for the first year, £5 for the next year and going up to the full £12.50, making this completely transparent from the start. 

£12.50 straight away is a tough pill to swallow at the moment. 

I do feel Khan lacks a lot of pragmatism as a politician, not to mention how divisive he often deliberately is with anyone who disagrees, and I am someone who completely agrees with ULEZ. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Congestion charge was meant to be the end of the world - it wasn't.

5p plastic bags was meant to be an outrage - it wasn't

ULEZ is here to stay and will make this a cleaner city. Next step should be a rethink on how our streets works and hopefully planting of urban trees. 

Carrot not stick. 

Hugely successful in my opinion. 
  • seth plum said:
    My wife grew up in Biggin Hill, had asthma caused by air pollution there 
  • Congestion charge was meant to be the end of the world - it wasn't.

5p plastic bags was meant to be an outrage - it wasn't

ULEZ is here to stay and will make this a cleaner city. Next step should be a rethink on how our streets works and hopefully planting of urban trees. 

Curious what you envisage. 

I’d instinctively say the vast majority of streets do have trees in SE London and generally the ‘green’ areas are and have been maintained and seemingly sacrosanct. 

What more do you see our planners doing? (Not a dig just not seen much on this angle before)
  • There is a planning issue in outer London, which is walkable infrastructure isn’t there anymore, be it the local shop, post office etc, encouraging driving 5 miles to a supermarket 
  • Rothko said:
    There is a planning issue in outer London, which is walkable infrastructure isn’t there anymore, be it the local shop, post office etc, encouraging driving 5 miles to a supermarket 
    Is that planning or just commercial reality for our businesses?

Not sure supermarkets are prevented from opening in most high streets but that does generally squeeze out smaller shops. 

Personally I do have supermarkets in walking distance but you will always be limited by how much you can carry if you want to cut out car journeys. 
  • Huskaris said:
    Should have been £2.50 for the first year, £5 for the next year and going up to the full £12.50, making this completely transparent from the start. 

£12.50 straight away is a tough pill to swallow at the moment. 

I do feel Khan lacks a lot of pragmatism as a politician, not to mention how divisive he often deliberately is with anyone who disagrees, and I am someone who completely agrees with ULEZ. 
    I think this is quite a good idea and wouldn’t argue with that. The implementation is the problem and imo unreasonable, especially as many non-compliant cars will drop off the radar.

It may have been a Tory idea but isn’t the implementation down to Khan and co?
    (who I voted for bizarrely).

I would have rather waited until used car prices dropped before buying a suitable and similar replacement car for the family.

I agree with the idea of Ulez (my Son has mild asthma so you think this may benefit him) but I still see this as (and heard it’s) a tool to improve TFL’s finances.

Even if it is a tool to get improve finances, as usual if it’s a Labour Mayor, the majority with be invested in Inner London (as per Red Ken). And I’m a Labour voter.

• Boris provided the idea, Shapes want a proposal fron Khan and Khan, despite having just over a decade to scrap it, implemented it.

Which makes me think that they are all the same
  • seth plum said:
    If it truly was about cleaning up the air then non compliant vehicles would be banned outright with owners receiving a compliant vehicle in exchange free of charge.

But of course for £12.50 a day you can continue using your non compliant vehicle topping up the TFL coffers which shows what the scheme's all about.
    It will be several years before any money goes to TfL's coffers. Installing all the kit has cost a whole lot of money. By then a lot of non compliant cars will have reached their natural end so less money coming in.
  • Crusty54 said:
    seth plum said:
    If it truly was about cleaning up the air then non compliant vehicles would be banned outright with owners receiving a compliant vehicle in exchange free of charge.

But of course for £12.50 a day you can continue using your non compliant vehicle topping up the TFL coffers which shows what the scheme's all about.
    It will be several years before any money goes to TfL's coffers. Installing all the kit has cost a whole lot of money. By then a lot of non compliant cars will have reached their natural end so less money coming in.
    So why implement it then?
  • Sponsored links:

• Crusty54 said:
    seth plum said:

Sorry but that is just totally and utterly wrong.

Tfls own forecast is that the scheme will be profitable for the first 2 or 3 years. How long depends on how soon people stop using non compliant cars.
  • edited August 2023
    Fecking brilliant... Just had to drive into the ULEZ, back home now so gone on to the TFL website to pay it, and the system is down.

Great pre-planning
  • Fecking brilliant... Just had to drive into the ULEZ, back home now so gone on to the TFL website to pay it, and the system is down.

Great pre-planning
    Dilemma is do you gamble the first fine will in fact only be a warning or is £12.50 better for peace of mind?
  • Rothko said:
    seth plum said:
    Air pollution in Biggin Hill 
    Seriously 
  • cafc999 said:
    Crusty54 said:
    seth plum said:

So why implement it then?
    because they can bring another tranche with lower compliance limits later on.
  • Fecking brilliant... Just had to drive into the ULEZ, back home now so gone on to the TFL website to pay it, and the system is down.

Great pre-planning
    Dilemma is do you gamble the first fine will in fact only be a warning or is £12.50 better for peace of mind?
    At least if you pay, you've offset all that pollution you've just released into dying children's lungs and Khan will give you a big pat on the back probably as he passes you in his range rover with his entourage in the one behind.
  • Have my Campervan registered for congestion charge and ULEZ, don't think I should have to pay to drive it down my road but the fact they still send me penalty charges is quite annoying. 
  • Rothko said:
    seth plum said:
    Gimme a break - your wife's asthma was not caused by 10% of cars driving around Biggin Hill
  • Is it correct that the roundabout outside Crayford Retail park at bottom of Station Road is outside the zone but if you drive into the car park it is in the zone ? 
  • Rothko said:
    seth plum said:
    Gimme a break - your wife's asthma was not caused by 10% of cars driving around Biggin Hill
    More likely the aircraft one might think.