Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• seth plum said:
    Traditionally Wednesdays are the players day off.
    Has that changed?
    If Mr Sandgaard is to speak to all the players today then it seems that tradition no longer holds.
    I guess they would come in for a “warm down” the day after a game - if that’s the case then there would be no need for Adkins to be there. 
  • seth plum said:
    Traditionally Wednesdays are the players day off.
    Has that changed?
    If Mr Sandgaard is to speak to all the players today then it seems that tradition no longer holds.
    Probably have them in for a debrief, seeing as Sunderland will require a overnight stay 
  • Someone last night was saying NA is the on 350,000 a year .. which makes him
    the highest paid Charlton manager for sometime maybe ever … 
    Ridiculous 
  • Addick_8 said:
    Got a text from a friend who said Adkins apparently didn't take training this morning
    Can anyone half in the know do any digging?
    was there any?
    I have no idea just forwarding over a text. 
    Hopefully, someone knows a little more. 
  • edited October 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I don't think anyone can say anything about Roddy  without actually knowing what he does at the club. He's not the one taking charge on matchday and telling the players to hoof it long to Stockley and not defend very well. Yes the recruitment was lackluster up until the last week or so, but the players have had enough time to gel now. And as someone rightly pointed out, the players definitely are not league 1 relegation quality
    If you listened to JFC last night neither is Adkins, which to me, is even more concerning than if he was.

About 5 times he said about full backs forcing the wide player wide, not letting them cut in, and Adkins and Jackson banging on about it.  Experienced premier league and international full backs shouldn't need coaching on 1 on 1 defending.  I said in the preview thread that come Doncaster there will be calls for Matthews to be back in the team.  I was wrong it started last night. 

The last 3 managers all started well and ended up with a group of players that didn't look like they had ever met, let alone played together, before.   You can argue how good any of them were to start with but I think it's to much of a coincidence that they all lost the plot. 

I don't know if it's down to our full backs having been told to 'force their player wide', but what is evident is how narrow they are both playing ... in game after game.

This cannot be co-incidence.  It is something you do when you have little or no confidence in the solidity of your central midfield, but it will only work well if you have wide players who are defence-minded and who can then cover or support the full backs who have wandered inside.  Our wide midfield players have the opposite mentality.

We are repeatedly being done down the wings.  Every game.  We are regularly overloaded or we just concede space.  Look at Accrington's second goal last night.  As soon as the crossfield ball was played. I shouted 'where is Gunter?' ... and the inevitable happened.  The winger collects the ball with time and space, gets up a head of steam running at Gunter and the cross was simple and inviting.

These players do not trust one another.  You see them doubling up because they know that their team mates will be found wanting ... and that doubling up creates space for the opposition elsewhere.

Any coach who inherits this bunch of mediocre players has the challenge of introducing a degree of trust between them.  Sadly, the calibre of player is not conducive to that ... although you'd think that someone with 100+ caps for Wales might have a bit more of an idea. 

• Oggy Red said:
    I know some people are dead against it but the club seriously have to think about bringing Curbishley back into the fold in some capacity, we have nobody in the club with his footballing brains, nobody comes close.

It'll be the Charlton TV dream team: Curbs, Scottie and Stevie Brown.

They won't let you down. 

Could do a lot worse…..as unlikely as it is.
    I wasn't really serious. :smile:

• Sponsored links:

• Dave Rudd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I don't think anyone can say anything about Roddy  without actually knowing what he does at the club. He's not the one taking charge on matchday and telling the players to hoof it long to Stockley and not defend very well. Yes the recruitment was lackluster up until the last week or so, but the players have had enough time to gel now. And as someone rightly pointed out, the players definitely are not league 1 relegation quality
    If you listened to JFC last night neither is Adkins, which to me, is even more concerning than if he was.

About 5 times he said about full backs forcing the wide player wide, not letting them cut in, and Adkins and Jackson banging on about it.  Experienced premier league and international full backs shouldn't need coaching on 1 on 1 defending.  I said in the preview thread that come Doncaster there will be calls for Matthews to be back in the team.  I was wrong it started last night. 

The last 3 managers all started well and ended up with a group of players that didn't look like they had ever met, let alone played together, before.   You can argue how good any of them were to start with but I think it's to much of a coincidence that they all lost the plot. 

I don't know if it's down to our full backs having been told to 'force their player wide', but what is evident is how narrow they are both playing ... in game after game.

This cannot be co-incidence.  It is something you do when you have little or no confidence in the solidity of your central midfield, but it will only work well if you have wide players who are defence-minded and who can then cover or support the full backs who have wandered inside.  Our wide midfield players have the opposite mentality.

We are repeatedly being done down the wings.  Every game.  We are regularly overloaded or we just concede space.  Look at Accrington's second goal last night.  As soon as the crossfield ball was played. I shouted 'where is Gunter?' ... and the inevitable happened.  The winger collects the ball with time and space, gets up a head of steam running at Gunter and the cross was simple and inviting.

These players do not trust one another.  You see them doubling up because they know that their team mates will be found wanting ... and that doubling up creates space for the opposition elsewhere.

Any coach who inherits this bunch of mediocre players has the challenge of introducing a degree of trust between them.  Sadly, the calibre of player is not conducive to that ... although you'd think that someone with 100+ caps for Wales might have a bit more of an idea. 

Spot on, for that goal Gunter and the centre half were both marking their number 6 and were about 3 feet apart just to the left of the penalty sport which left over 1/3rd of the pitch not covered. Then as he's about to cross both the centre half and left back were marking their number 9. So both times a centre half and full back are marking one player. Clare was a pedestrian by the penalty spot not aware of who was around him. We had 6 players in the penalty box, 7 with the keeper to their 3, yet they still got the cross in and a free tap in.
  • Addick_8 said:
    Got a text from a friend who said Adkins apparently didn't take training this morning. 
    Would the players be in for training the morning after a midweek game?

or would the players be seen by the sports science team with Nigel watching last nights game again?

im deliberately trying to look for reasons why he might not have taken training, just so I don’t prematurely get excited that he has gone
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Dave, the crossfield ball doesn't happen if there is a covering midfield player 10 to 15 yards away. We see that move by opposing teams on a regular basis now, teams watch us and know if they hit the channels its one vs one and the winger has a very good chance of getting a cross in if not beating the full back. The biggest indicator of Adkins lack of nous is the narrow midfield that he sets up, we can see it, opposing managers can see it, why can't he.
  • edited October 2021
    Someone last night was saying NA is the on 350,000 a year .. which makes him
    Happy days, If he’s invested his money right he should be able to never work again..!
    Happy days, If he’s invested his money right he should be able to never work again..!
    Pile on the crypto
  • Gribbo said:
    ........TS seems to be turning out to be a bit of a Roland
    Ridiculous 

Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    ........TS seems to be turning out to be a bit of a Roland
    WTF!!!
    Yeah I know.  It looks a bit wanky reading it back.

Think I meant my perception of it as it is, is like it's gonna be like it was under RD. 🤷‍♂️

• Bailey said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Dave, the crossfield ball doesn't happen if there is a covering midfield player 10 to 15 yards away. We see that move by opposing teams on a regular basis now, teams watch us and know if they hit the channels its one vs one and the winger has a very good chance of getting a cross in if not beating the full back. The biggest indicator of Adkins lack of nous is the narrow midfield that he sets up, we can see it, opposing managers can see it, why can't he.
    This isn't some revolutionary system that only Adkins plays though is it.  Half the teams in our division play it.  I don't remember us having this specific problem when Robinson was here, who played exactly the same system.  Obviously there were other problems though.  We had the same problem last season regardless of what system we played under Bowyer (I think we tried all of them by the end).  
  • Addick_8 said:
    Got a text from a friend who said Adkins apparently didn't take training this morning. 
    Got a text from a mate who said the Earth is flat. 
    Utter codswallop
    Curbs was on multiples of that 15 years ago
  • Sponsored links:

• Was expecting for Adkins to be on around half that amount
  • Gribbo said:
    Was expecting for Adkins to be on around half that amount
    Which worryingly suggests that Thomas is something of a latter-day Peter Risdale in the negotiating stakes!
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Bailey said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

This isn't some revolutionary system that only Adkins plays though is it.  Half the teams in our division play it.  I don't remember us having this specific problem when Robinson was here, who played exactly the same system.  Obviously there were other problems though.  We had the same problem last season regardless of what system we played under Bowyer (I think we tried all of them by the end).  
    Cowley at Portsmouth changed their shape and packed their midfield and said so in his aftermatch interview, Accrinton played four in midfield last night, I would agree that most teams are playing this system but then most teams have midfield players who have a defensive awareness, Morgan and Clare clearly don't and most teams overman their midfield and use width because they know we can't handle it.
  • Gribbo said:
    Morgan seems to be able to play. Maybe a better manager and better coach could dial into what he can do, and make a decent Lge 1 / Champoinship player out of him.

If he was shipped out, I got a strong feeling he'll go somewhere else and do really well
    We have tried to send him out on loan and had no takers. The bloke is clueless imo, the earlier post sumd him up, he shows flashes of ability but being a good pro is not just about ability is it, you also need a footballing brain and unfortunately the lad lacks it in spades as far as Im concerned
  • RonnieMoore is an absolutely classic WUM. Reminds me of Noodles from the old BBC days - a man who kept calling for us to bring Tony Pulis in as manager, a position that could have only been seen trolling until someone suggested it with a straight face ten minutes ago 

• Time to get out the it’s happening gifs?
  • edited October 2021
    What if, if has been reported by some on here, the budget was suddenly slashed in the Summer? It might be a reason why Thomas is finding it hard to sack Adkins. I mean, Adkins could say he was promised X and got Y instead etc.... I must stress, I don't know, but there has to be a reason it hasn't happened yet.
  • I imagine the comments in regards to his missus being present in an executive team meeting late into the night would still happen if it was a random bloke. 

If she has input stick her on the board, maybe make her CEO, just as qualified as the legendary Meire. 

Does she have breaky with the boys as well? 

😬
  • shirty5 said:

A committee of ditherers.

No doubt they'll come to a decision eventually and it will probably be the wrong one!

What's his old woman doing in there anyway?
    Won't employ a CEO but won't hesitate to get his wife involved in something she knows nothing about...a bit like him...and Roddy for that matter!

This all boils down to dollar,and severe lack of it as far as our club is concerned.
    Seriously,how was this shower ever going to afford coughing up for the Valley?
    Simple answer. They never were. It was for the birds.

So there we have it. Another bunch bullsh*tting chancers.

F**k me! Our club is a joke
    If instead of his partner it was another male colleague from Zynex nobody would bat an eyelid. I’ve no idea what she brings in practice but I think there’s a bit of sexism in the assumption it’s nothing. Also, what’s she supposed to do? Wait in the car?
    Neanderthal bilge from a depressingly familiar source, rightly called out. 👏👏

Incidentally AB, you had any word on the turnstile count?

TS is a businessman first and foremost.  Last night's dreadfully sparse crowd will be hitting him in the pocket.
    Even someone of his glaring inexperience in this game must appreciate that results & performances are critical to his bottom line.
  • Bailey said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Bailey said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Cowley at Portsmouth changed their shape and packed their midfield and said so in his aftermatch interview, Accrinton played four in midfield last night, I would agree that most teams are playing this system but then most teams have midfield players who have a defensive awareness, Morgan and Clare clearly don't and most teams overman their midfield and use width because they know we can't handle it.
    I suppose what I find extremely alarming is we are having the same problems now as we had a year ago, under a different manager, in a different system with different players. 

The only difference last season was the shit hit the fan 2 months later and Aneke papered over some of the cracks. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!