Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• Has Adkins resigned from any of his previous jobs or does he always hold on till the bitter end for a pay off? 
  • edited October 2021
    Has Adkins resigned from any of his previous jobs or does he always hold on till the bitter end for a pay off? 
    He left Hull if I remember rightly but it was the enough of his contract so no pay off.
  • Leuth said:
    Bubble said:
    Playing Albie Morgan as a holding midfielder tonight was a sackable offence by itself 
    Tbh I'd feel more like sacking Morgan. He can't play AM and he can't play CM. He can't play
    He's a 7 a side Footy Addicts player. The kind who turns up at Archibshop's Park on a Sunday afternoon and absolutely murders everyone by seemingly having more time and space than everyone else and infinitely more control of the ball, and then after the game you find out from someone else he 'had trials'. Despite that you know that if he actually got asked to play in a real football league he'd get murdered. I've completely lost faith in his ability to play in anything above youth level, he just doesn't know what to do on a foobtall pitch, and the odd brilliant pass isn't going to offset that
    I kept looking for positives in his game. Last night for the second was it, he actually did something good - had Matthews been the Right back, he came across to stop the winger cutting back onto Gunter's left, but in doing so lost his man in the middle as no one covered his man. 

That was the only decent takeaway last night... 

I give up. 
  • Scoham said:
    Do we have no imagination? There are talented young managers and coaches out there who would see the job as a step up and could improve us. There are clubs with much smaller budgets playing much better football than us.

It worked out for Taylor but not so well for Keegan at Newcastle or Dalglish at Liverpool.
    If we were comfortable in mid table I might agree with you. But I'd argue that now isn't the time for taking a huge risk in a talented young manager.
    We have no base to build upon, everything has turned to shit.
    We need someone to come in and instantly give the whole place a massive lift.
    We need someone who can galvanize the fans with the players, and the players need someone to respect and respond to.
    We need round pegs in round holes, grind out some results, then start thinking about pretty football again.
    IMO, Curbs is exactly what's needed at this moment in time, even if it's just until the end of the season.
    Results breed confidence, confidence makes good players, very good players.
    Right now, results mean that every player looks awful, even Wales most capped international!
    I'm pretty sure Curbs would go 442, and blokes like Pearce and Purrington would be put straight back in the side 
    It might not be pretty, but neither is a relegation battle.
  • Dazzler21 said:

Me coming to terms with the fact Adkins is going to be the Charlton Manager till the end of the season.
    Accurate, but for me it's that we're going to finish somewhere bottom half and that could include relegation. All depends on where the actual issue is. 

If he does better with his own staff why haven’t they brought them in (at least some of them) as maybe what he is lacking is experienced staff members.
  • What about the idea that Sandgaard is in the UK to meet possible candidates and will sack NA off before the weekend, once he's met them all?

• I still think/hope he'll be gone by the end of the day.

If he's not than he'll still be here on Saturday & god knows how long after that 
  • Sponsored links:

• Gribbo said:
    What about the idea that Sandgaard is in the UK to meet possible candidates and will sack NA off before the weekend, once he's met them all?

Was said to be a pre-planned trip which would suggest candidates haven’t been lined up.
  • Gribbo said:
    What about the idea that Sandgaard is in the UK to meet possible candidates and will sack NA off before the weekend, once he's met them all?

I would also hope that he would pen some kind of dedicated soft rock ballad to wave him off with.
    Perhaps that's the delay

Sandgaard is waiting for the string section to record their bit at Abbey Road today
  • Gribbo said:

I would also hope that he would pen some kind of dedicated soft rock ballad to wave him off with.
    Perhaps that's the delay

Sandgaard is waiting for the string section to record their bit at Abbey Road today
    We certainly have plenty of strings to choose from.
  • I think TS has been naive in the extreme from the very beginning. The appointment of Roddy, I believe has started a cancer within the club, his appointment signalled a downturn in performance under Bowyer. Its clear his presence wasn't appreciated then and frankly GR isn't necessary at this level. He is just an interference. Good cv and all that which has impressed TS who knows no better. 

Roddy recommends NA and both of them conspire along with TS to cock up a transfer window. TS has now got to show strength and appoint decent experienced grass roots football people. No wishy washy linked in profiles but substance. 

Collectively there is enough ability in the squad to be in top half of the table but we need the accrington attitude and play ugly to win points for the time being under completely new management. 

TS has probably been over generous in the contractual terms offered to GR and NA but that his problem 
  • Surely this can't go on, time for change but who I have no idea, talk of the problems behind the scenes is very worrying. 
  • Dazzler21 said:

Me coming to terms with the fact Adkins is going to be the Charlton Manager till the end of the season.
    Accurate, but for me it's that we're going to finish somewhere bottom half and that could include relegation. All depends on where the actual issue is. 

If he does better with his own staff why haven’t they brought them in (at least some of them) as maybe what he is lacking is experienced staff members.
    Maybe that was a subject of last night's discussions?
  • Scoham said:
    Gribbo said:

Was said to be a pre-planned trip which would suggest candidates haven’t been lined up.
    Could possibly interview people on it, whether the trip was preplanned or not
  • lolwray said:
    I think TS has been naive in the extreme from the very beginning. The appointment of Roddy, I believe has started a cancer within the club, his appointment signalled a downturn in performance under Bowyer. Its clear his presence wasn't appreciated then and frankly GR isn't necessary at this level. He is just an interference. Good cv and all that which has impressed TS who knows no better. 

Roddy recommends NA and both of them conspire along with TS to cock up a transfer window. TS has now got to show strength and appoint decent experienced grass roots football people. No wishy washy linked in profiles but substance. 

Collectively there is enough ability in the squad to be in top half of the table but we need the accrington attitude and play ugly to win points for the time being under completely new management. 

TS has probably been over generous in the contractual terms offered to GR and NA but that his problem 
    I think you could be going a bit mad... Why would they conspire with TS to cock up the window?

I think Roddy could be a problem, but it is supposition. There has been talk of whether this is Adkins making changes or another... Could Ged be that guy?
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I made a comment after the Lincoln game that was half serious / half attempt to create debate if anything.

With it being Roddy that reports back to Sandgaard, and not Adkins

I have to wonder if TS is getting the full picture as to what is going on at the moment. Or whether he's getting spun a web of half truths with individuals passing the buck because they dont want to look bad.Feel on this basis that Sandgaard almost needs to conduct a full investigation within the staff and players at the moment, rather than just getting the one point of view after every game!!
    If I was Sandgaard looking at that I would think we have shit players, or at least lacking, in key positions but at least they all tried. 

That wasn't a "the manager has lost the dressing room" performance.  It was littered with individual mistakes and poor decisions. 

If we had been in a rich vein of form we would have won that, almost through belief and the 3 or 4k extra fans in the ground.  It's almost a paradox that because we are shit we will be shit. 

You’re right it wasn’t a “lost the dressing room” performance. 
    It was a shite team set up that has no idea what it’s doing. It’s getting worse every week because it’s being poorly managed. The line up stank of desperation… again
    Individual mistakes, I counted 6 of them for AS's 2nd goal alone, aren't because of any system or team selection. 

Lee and Arter weren't available.  I suppose Watson and Matthews should have played?  Or Pearce?  2 up front wouldn't have stopped that. Maybe Kirk who dialed in one of the worst performances in a Charlton shirt ever on Saturday. Every line up stinks of desperation, who ever we pick.

Even Curbs said he would play 433.  I strongly suspect the team he would pick, for real, would have Watson in it.  Thats where we are. 
    You make a fair point but football games at League 1 level will always have individual mistakes. The problem is when other teams do it against us we have no idea how to punish them, when we do it a team finds it far too easy to punish us - it's poor management again. 
    Look at yesterday, Stockley shouting over to the bench saying "Find a better F****** shape" how is that happening after weeks and weeks on the training ground where the manager has continually said we look in a good place.
    Not saying it's not the player's fault, they also have to take a lot of this blame but how we are setting out is criminal. 
    I've said it before, but I think we are by far, the most unfit team in the football league, even players that have been here since last year look unfit - how on earth has that happened and that comes down to NA. I wanted him to do well as I do like him and yes, I feel sorry for him but there isn't no coming back from this.

Any other manager at the moment would have this crop of players, well above 22nd in the league.
  • Sponsored links:

• I suppose things could go old school as in:
    Adkins departs.
    Caretaker in charge for a short while.
    Advertise for a manager (along with putting out feelers if TS has contacts).
    See who applies or is interested.
    Short list.
    Interview.
    Appoint.
    (Maybe be revolutionary though and have a trial period until either January or the end of the season).
    Pray.
  • Gribbo said:
    Scoham said:
    Gribbo said:

Could possibly interview people on it, whether the trip was preplanned or not
    He's probably having trouble finding anyone who wants to be interviewed.

• If I was Sandgaard I'd urgently talk to Pearce, a senior pro who's relatively untarnished by this season, to ask him what's gone wrong. He needs to get another voice to that of Adkins or Roddy, and Jacko and Euell are too involved.
  • edited October 2021
    Lack of rumours, no matter how ridiculous, is concerning
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I made a comment after the Lincoln game that was half serious / half attempt to create debate if anything.

With it being Roddy that reports back to Sandgaard, and not Adkins

I have to wonder if TS is getting the full picture as to what is going on at the moment. Or whether he's getting spun a web of half truths with individuals passing the buck because they dont want to look bad.Feel on this basis that Sandgaard almost needs to conduct a full investigation within the staff and players at the moment, rather than just getting the one point of view after every game!!
    If I was Sandgaard looking at that I would think we have shit players, or at least lacking, in key positions but at least they all tried. 

That wasn't a "the manager has lost the dressing room" performance.  It was littered with individual mistakes and poor decisions. 

If we had been in a rich vein of form we would have won that, almost through belief and the 3 or 4k extra fans in the ground.  It's almost a paradox that because we are shit we will be shit. 

It is a football truth. The pressure on the manager transfers to the players. Change it and you can reset. I do think we have to set up differently against Sunderland. We need to flood the midfield and probably have Stockley and Davison up front. Purrington needs to start as does Lee and Dobson. We have to ditch the wingers and if we play Leko who wasn't bad today, it has to be as a striker. If Arter is fit I'd have him in there too alongside Gilbey.

Oh yeah, can't wait for Lyndn Gooch to give him the fucking run around for 90 minutes 
  • If I was Sandgaard I'd urgently talk to Pearce, a senior pro who's relatively untarnished by this season, to ask him what's gone wrong. He needs to get another voice to that of Adkins or Roddy, and Jacko and Euell are too involved.
    If I was Sandgaard; I'd get a small posse together of about 4 to 5, to include Curbs, Brown etc etc, for the sole purpose of recruiting a new manager and CEO.

Then pump the rest ASAP
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Leuth said:
    Bubble said:
    Playing Albie Morgan as a holding midfielder tonight was a sackable offence by itself 
    Tbh I'd feel more like sacking Morgan. He can't play AM and he can't play CM. He can't play
    He's a 7 a side Footy Addicts player. The kind who turns up at Archibshop's Park on a Sunday afternoon and absolutely murders everyone by seemingly having more time and space than everyone else and infinitely more control of the ball, and then after the game you find out from someone else he 'had trials'. Despite that you know that if he actually got asked to play in a real football league he'd get murdered. I've completely lost faith in his ability to play in anything above youth level, he just doesn't know what to do on a foobtall pitch, and the odd brilliant pass isn't going to offset that
    I have seen him have a handful of good games in 4 seasons.  1 was the first time I had ever seen him at Donny.   He will be 29 and people will still be asking the question. 
    Exactly. The most memorable for me was Hull straight after the lockdown. He was excellent then, had got himself into decent shape and was doing the hard running as well as the incisive passes. We thought he'd turned a corner. He then got worse and worse from there and alternated getting hooked or brought on at half time for the rest of the season to no effect. He had the odd one last season here and there, faded and then turned the corner again, apparently, against Lincoln in May, coming on for JFC and working his socks off. Adkins can trust him was the claim. Was alright against Hull, tricked the club into thinking he could be a mainstay of the team this season and then proceeded to be useless again. Turns out he's not turning corners, he's just walking round in a circle punching himself in the face. Having said that, a bloke who very occasionally looks like he's figured the problems out only to be rubbish again for 7 games might be the ultimate Charlton player. It's a testament to our academy that we're now producing on-brand footballers. Would any team in our division take him?
  • If Adkins stays my faith in Sandgaard begins to wane.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!