Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• edited October 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I made a comment after the Lincoln game that was half serious / half attempt to create debate if anything.

With it being Roddy that reports back to Sandgaard, and not Adkins

I have to wonder if TS is getting the full picture as to what is going on at the moment. Or whether he's getting spun a web of half truths with individuals passing the buck because they dont want to look bad.Feel on this basis that Sandgaard almost needs to conduct a full investigation within the staff and players at the moment, rather than just getting the one point of view after every game!!
    If I was Sandgaard looking at that I would think we have shit players, or at least lacking, in key positions but at least they all tried. 

That wasn't a "the manager has lost the dressing room" performance.  It was littered with individual mistakes and poor decisions. 

If we had been in a rich vein of form we would have won that, almost through belief and the 3 or 4k extra fans in the ground.  It's almost a paradox that because we are shit we will be shit. 

Either that or it was the sort of performance where the players take it upon themselves to try and restore some pride in themselves, and were effectively ignoring what the Manager has been asking them to do. There were a lot of motivational actions going on between the players that second half, which you'd normally expect to see from the Manager
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

I made a comment after the Lincoln game that was half serious / half attempt to create debate if anything.

I have to wonder if TS is getting the full picture as to what is going on at the moment. Or whether he's getting spun a web of half truths with individuals passing the buck because they dont want to look bad.Feel on this basis that Sandgaard almost needs to conduct a full investigation within the staff and players at the moment, rather than just getting the one point of view after every game!!
    If I was Sandgaard looking at that I would think we have shit players, or at least lacking, in key positions but at least they all tried. 

That wasn't a "the manager has lost the dressing room" performance.  It was littered with individual mistakes and poor decisions. 

If we had been in a rich vein of form we would have won that, almost through belief and the 3 or 4k extra fans in the ground.  It's almost a paradox that because we are shit we will be shit. 

It is a football truth. The pressure on the manager transfers to the players. Change it and you can reset. I do think we have to set up differently against Sunderland. We need to flood the midfield and probably have Stockley and Davison up front. Purrington needs to start as does Lee and Dobson. We have to ditch the wingers and if we play Leko who wasn't bad today, it has to be as a striker. If Arter is fit I'd have him in there too alongside Gilbey.

• Theres got to be an announcement tomorrow, one way or the other. If its radio silence for another 4 days reckon things will turn sinister pretty quickly 

• " I can see there’s a group of players, as demonstrated in parts of the 2nd half, with a desire to work hard in situations that aren’t ideal"

The most interesting quote Adkins has said. 
    "and the people you are surrounded with." is the key.

Has Thomas finally, man to man, asked Adkins why it isn't working and what he needs to make it work?  If so expect a call to Port Vale before Adkins goes. 

This is very Clough without Taylor...... 

Good managers don't go bad in months, but what made them good managers in the first place..... 

• edited October 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:

" I can see there’s a group of players, as demonstrated in parts of the 2nd half, with a desire to work hard in situations that aren’t ideal"

Has Thomas finally, man to man, asked Adkins why it isn't working and what he needs to make it work?  If so expect a call to Port Vale before Adkins goes. 

Good managers don't go bad in months, but what made them good managers in the first place..... 

If thats what you're suggesting then the person standing in the way of that role is Johnnie Jackson?

How would the fanbase feel if Adkins stuck around (with Crosby) coming in and a fan favourite for over ten years to be the one that departs (Cant see him being shifted to another role)? - I know a lot of people want Jackson to leave as well as they see him as part of the problem, yet would be suicidal from Sandgaard to make that particular move and hope that Steve Gallen is the one forcefully advising against it if it were true.

Adkins / Crosby would basically have to go on a winning run from the very beginning to get fans to see that way of thinking.

I guess you're speculating but to do it prior to Sunderland would be beyond foolish - Its akin to Keith Peacock sticking around when Dowie arrived, and then the former being sacked instead of the latter for our position.
  • I can't believe how quickly we've gone from the optimism and hope from a large crowd on the first game, to the despair and frustration were going through now. In the words of the Stranglers "Something better change".
  • Not sure why JJ couldn't be given a few games. If he can't fix it he had a chance. He has managed us for three games last season and this and has won them all. Also he was a coach when we got promoted so it is ridiculous to blame him. But if he sinks he goes and if he swims we are in a better position.
  • I know it's been done to death, but can anyone explain what Roddy and Gallens do day to day? That's not what their titles are, but what their responsibilities are
  • Sponsored links:

• The problem is, nobody else is going to buy the club with the assets owned by a delusional yellow toothed see you next Tuesday who wants far too much for them.
  • Not sure why JJ couldn't be given a few games. If he can't fix it he had a chance. He has managed us for three games last season and this and has won them all. Also he was a coach when we got promoted so it is ridiculous to blame him. But if he sinks he goes and if he swims we are in a better position.
    So JJ takes Sunderland (lose), Doncaster (win) and then Rotherham (lose). 

Is that enough for him to stay on? 
  • Cafc43v3r said:

" I can see there’s a group of players, as demonstrated in parts of the 2nd half, with a desire to work hard in situations that aren’t ideal"

If thats what you're suggesting then the person standing in the way of that role is Johnnie Jackson?

How would the fanbase feel if Adkins stuck around (with Crosby) coming in and a fan favourite for over ten years to be the one that departs (Cant see him being shifted to another role)? - I know a lot of people want Jackson to leave as well as they see him as part of the problem, yet would be suicidal from Sandgaard to make that particular move and hope that Steve Gallen is the one forcefully advising against it if it were true.

Adkins / Crosby would basically have to go on a winning run from the very beginning to get fans to see that way of thinking.

I guess you're speculating but to do it prior to Sunderland would be beyond foolish - Its akin to Keith Peacock sticking around when Dowie arrived, and then the former being sacked instead of the latter for our position.
    But what is Jackson's job, not job title?

Does he plan and carry out training, does he plan and coach set pieces, does he drill the defence, does he put out the cones and bibs for training?  Is he the conduit between the players and the manager?

Quite frankly none of us know and none of us know how good he is at any of it.

What was Cosby's job under Adkins before?  For all we know it might have been nothing more than walk into the dressing room and call them all a bunch of spineless c**ts before Adkins then came in and did his speal.

Who at the club would you be scared of walking into a dressing room with after you produced a total sub standard gutless display?  What member of staff, what senior pro?  Who polices the dressing room? 

Who makes you wish you had "brought your dinner"?  You need a bad cop and you need the good cops to back the bad cops up. 

With hindsight Bowyer didn't have any back up and went ott, in public, to re-enforce his point.  

If you were, let's say Morgan, would you be worried about the dressing down you got from Adkins, Jackson, Euell, Pearce, Watson and Gunter?   I think you would be hard pressed not to laugh. 

• CH4RLTON said:
    God this thread has become more toxic than the much fabled takeover thread, fish puns anyone to lighten the mood? 
    Second half we deserved a point .. to be honest showed what we can do 
    No,no, no, no!

second half, we showed some attacking intent and maybe stockley and Davisson could have scored but for goal line clearances but we are still a shambles at the back and the two chances I’ve mentioned above were cancelled out by saves by our keeper. 

We got what we deserved. 0 points.

Thats a very black and white approach to the results though isnt it

We're down the bottom and out of form so expect the Sunderland / Rotherham games to be rather "ugly" viewing at this particular time - If we saw similar under Jackson against those two to the performances that we've seen then perhaps he shouldnt get the job.

On the other hand if they're narrow defeats where we see a clear upturn in performances then he has to be considered surely
  • Gribbo said:
    Doubt very much that TS would take his Mrs in to the room while he sacks someone, so are they just having a bit of an informal chat about ways to improve? Hope not
    According to my mate who was a sponsors guest tonight and was on the next table, Sandgaard got his ear bent very quickly after picking up a sausage roll post match so beat a hasty retreat. Presumably just looking for a bit of respite in the boardroom. 
    Was it Sue Parkes, furious that Thomas had taken the last sausage roll, only leaving her the curly sandwiches?

Thats a very black and white approach to the results though isnt it

We're down the bottom and out of form so expect the Sunderland / Rotherham games to be rather "ugly" viewing at this particular time - If we saw similar under Jackson against those two to the performances that we've seen then perhaps he shouldnt get the job.

On the other hand if they're narrow defeats where we see a clear upturn in performances then he has to be considered surely
    Those 3 are followed by Burton and Plymouth, another 2 ugly losses. 

Basically even if Jackson is hopeless, it's difficult to sack him until the Morecombe game over a month away. That would be another month wasted. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

But what is Jackson's job, not job title?

Does he plan and carry out training, does he plan and coach set pieces, does he drill the defence, does he put out the cones and bibs for training?  Is he the conduit between the players and the manager?

Quite frankly none of us know and none of us know how good he is at any of it.

What was Cosby's job under Adkins before?  For all we know it might have been nothing more than walk into the dressing room and call them all a bunch of spineless c**ts before Adkins then came in and did his speal.

Who at the club would you be scared of walking into a dressing room with after you produced a total sub standard gutless display?  What member of staff, what senior pro?  Who polices the dressing room? 

Who makes you wish you had "brought your dinner"?  You need a bad cop and you need the good cops to back the bad cops up. 

With hindsight Bowyer didn't have any back up and went ott, in public, to re-enforce his point.  

If you were, let's say Morgan, would you be worried about the dressing down you got from Adkins, Jackson, Euell, Pearce, Watson and Gunter?   I think you would be hard pressed not to laugh. 

Assistants and coaches tend to be the good cops, as the manager is ultimately the one who has to make the final decisions, including the unpleasant ones
  • Got to go. Worst team since I have been supporting in 70s
  • Sponsored links:

•  FFS I am not a football manager but when you want to eke out a result go 4-5-1......4-3-3 not working and when the other team plays 4-4-2 you will be out numbered in midfield....every team that plays us has so much room.......needs to go clueless
  • Addick_8 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

You’re right it wasn’t a “lost the dressing room” performance. 
    It was a shite team set up that has no idea what it’s doing. It’s getting worse every week because it’s being poorly managed. The line up stank of desperation… again
    Individual mistakes, I counted 6 of them for AS's 2nd goal alone, aren't because of any system or team selection. 

Lee and Arter weren't available.  I suppose Watson and Matthews should have played?  Or Pearce?  2 up front wouldn't have stopped that. Maybe Kirk who dialed in one of the worst performances in a Charlton shirt ever on Saturday. Every line up stinks of desperation, who ever we pick.

Even Curbs said he would play 433.  I strongly suspect the team he would pick, for real, would have Watson in it.  Thats where we are. 
  • ct_addick said:
     FFS I am not a football manager but when you want to eke out a result go 4-5-1......4-3-3 not working and when the other team plays 4-4-2 you will be out numbered in midfield....every team that plays us has so much room.......needs to go clueless
    What's the difference between 451 and 433?  Personal wise? 
  • edited October 2021
    In loving memory of the 57 twats that gave me a LOL when I pointed out what a shit appointment Adkins was back in March.

This is all well and good if Roddy and Adkins actually worked together at Reading but they didn't. That is why myself and others would have LOL'd at your post because you were fuming without checking basic facts first.

Adkins left Reading in 2014. Roddy joined Reading in 2018. Four entire years between them.

The Roddy/Adkins link is a myth that has perpetuated on here ever since.
    Yeah and he had also not failed at his past three clubs. But Ormiston still somehow thinks everyone should've jumped onboard with his shoddy argument.
  • paulfox said:
    In loving memory of the 57 twats that gave me a LOL when I pointed out what a shit appointment Adkins was back in March.

Made a bit of a cock of yourself there mate, no need!!. We’re all Charlton but don’t all have to agree.
    Apart from on the Insulate Britain thread, of course.
  • edited October 2021
    Hmmm, those quotes sound to me like he'll still be in charge on Saturday.  Unbelievable if that's the case. 

I won't be watching.  Can't stomach any more of this shit
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!