Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• edited October 2021
    Gribbo said:
    What's he said about Charlton?

Where's he from?

I just done a quick Google of him and his Facebook come up, turns out I've a couple of random (non football) mutual freinds with him.
    Beale is an ex-Academy player here @ Charlton, came through with Parker and Fortune etc.

Think he's also a fan
  • Gribbo said:

Where's he from?

I just done a quick Google of him and his Facebook come up, turns out I've a couple of random (non football) mutual freinds with him.
    Beale is an ex-Academy player here @ Charlton, came through with Parker and Fortune etc.

Think he's also a fan
    Reckon he's from Bromley
  • Can’t believe he’s still here. I really dislike the man.
    That the thing isn’t it? - he’s the sort of bloke you really don’t want to dislike, but can’t help it. He is dragging the team down. He seems a decent man, yet won’t do the decent thing and resign. 
  • edited October 2021
    What we can't do which Sandgaard and Roddy can is ask JJ or Euell or both why it is going wrong and how they will fix it. If they answer well enough give them the job on a caretaker basis, if not give it to the next player in line. If it fails you bring a new manager in. If a new manager on a decent contract fails you don't have that option.
    And you think they are going to say...."I haven't a clue boss - give it to the other guy".

They will come out with the usual bollox of what's going wrong, how they can change it by tweaking this or that...and that of course they are the man for the job. Anyone remember Dowie's job application by white board...😡.

Also - if either JJ or Euell can pinpoint what's going wrong why aren't they saying so NOW. Put your head above the parapet, stand up & be counted......don't hide away & only say something when it's too late.
  • Addick_8 said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Let’s be honest here, everyone saying they would take Michael Beale wouldn’t of had a clue who he was if he never tweeted about us. 
    Doesn’t make sense that JJ isn’t the answer because he’s part of the coaching set up and never managed before but Michael Beale is a young and upcoming coach etc - all because he has sent nice tweets about us. 
    What? 

There are a countless talented young coaches out there, look at MK Dons manager. Plenty of people on here have been calling for someone like that for ages, Beale included. Why would we not want a promising talent to be our manager? Got fuck all to do with his tweets.
    You are telling me, you knew about Michel Beale before he started tweeting about Charlton?
    Absolutely as would most football fans past the casuals. Was highly regarded for the work he was doing at Liverpool years ago.

looking to promising U23’s coaches is a model that’s working elsewhere right now and one I’d be supportive of at Charlton.

look at Rob Edwards at FGR and Manning at MK
  • Has he gone yet?
  • Twitter protest? #Adkinsout at 18:00 today? Something needs to be considered before we end up in deep trouble, nothing is going to change under NA
  • The biggest frustration for me is the appointment last season of a new manager felt like a huge moment for the club. There was plenty of goodwill around the club and TS, the transfer window was coming up and there was opportunity for the manager to have a run of games to assess the squad and see who he wanted to keep and who he wanted to move on. The manager also had essentially a free hit of games last season as well. It felt like such a good time to appoint a manager and felt like we were in a really good position as I'm sure we would have had lots of names interested given all the above.

We are now in a position where there is a level of discontent around the club, we are in the relegation zone and we have a squad full of new signings who you would expect the transfer committee will want the new manager to work with meaning any incoming's are likely to be in short supply. I suspect we look a much less attractive proposition now than we did when we appointed NA last season and I'm sure that will influence the next appointment and who is available. 

Personally I think the next appointment is either going to be someone in the NA mould, a relatively well known name with a few successes and a few failures in their CV. Hughton springs to mind.

Or it'll be a relative unknown in the Beale mould, a few teams seem to be going for that approach recently. Forest Green did and they are flying in League Two. However clearly that comes with risks and you would think an appointment such as that would in an ideal world be better made at the start of a season when the new coach has time to instill his identity and style into the players and club. It's a much more difficult task coming into a team who need an instant turn around and are playing games twice a week for the foreseeable, especially when you have no managerial experience. 

• MrBurns said:
    Has he gone yet?
    Probably only for his morning walk. He just wants to make the most of the day.
  • Sponsored links:

• Michael Beale 100% if he would accept. But he needs to be given his own structure and I'm afraid Roddy, Jackson, Euell, Gallen and other back room staff need to go. But I reckon that will cost Thomas maybe more than a 2million commit. I just can't see it.
  • What we can't do which Sandgaard and Roddy can is ask JJ or Euell or both why it is going wrong and how they will fix it. If they answer well enough give them the job on a caretaker basis, if not give it to the next player in line. If it fails you bring a new manager in. If a new manager on a decent contract fails you don't have that option.
    And you think they are going to say...."I haven't a clue boss - give it to the other guy".

They will come out with the usual bollox of what's going wrong, how they can change it by tweaking this or that...and that of course they are the man for the job. Anyone remember Dowie's job application by white board...😡.

Also - if either JJ or Euell can pinpoint what's going wrong why aren't they saying so NOW. Put your head above the parapet, stand up & be counted......don't hide away & only say something when it's too late.
    Well, they could say the formation doesn't suit us. They may not have the power to stop Adkins playing his favourite formation. He is the manager. If what they say makes sense give them a few games and if it doesn't don't. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Gribbo said:
    Maccn05 said:
    I’ve stolen this from Twitter as I completely agree with the point made

Don't really get this 'nice guy' thing. From Day 1 he's seemed aloof and self-regarding to me, and lacking any real interest in the club. Surprised how many people seem to mistake a positive attitude for an engaging one

I’ve hated his attitude since the results fell off a cliff. Refusing to go to the fans, constant excuses, hiding from the truth and no apologies to the paying & traveling fans… it’s all an act to me, his persona and the cracks have been showing for a while.

I was firmly against his appointment from day one I called that he was ‘Yesterday’s Man’ but it has to be ended now.

We need a fresh young, modern manager to just start again. Not bothered about a nameZ would love Ryan Lowe but the sad fact is he wouldn’t even join us now.

This all day long and have felt exactly the same.

Nigel 'insert club name here' Adkins.
    Whenever he talks about the club he's at it's always a cut and paste job. I get the strong impression that he has no real interest in delving into the fabric of the club.  Dowie was the same. Robinson too.I suppose not many managers do. But the ones that don't tend not too last too long at this particular football club.
    Absolutely 100% correct.

Adkins is a bullshitter and a bluffer, one whose bluff had been plain to see from his last three failed jobs, sorry, forgot that he did an incredible job keeping Hull in the Championship, surprised Real Madrid didn’t come in for him after that.

As Depeche Mode said back in the 1980s, “Confidence taken in….by a suntan and a grin.”

Plenty of folks on here got fooled, that’s for sure.
    This is gold

I thought the general idea of supporting a football club, was that you support the team including the manager, up until the point you have no confidence in them using an opinion based on fact.

It’s one thing saying you had had a gut feeling he was going to be a disaster, but to come on here now, digging out fellow supporters for getting “fooled”, claiming that you knew that it was going to turn out exactly how it has purely using the logic that he weren't Charlton enough, is a bit unique imo (sure it was you who posted something along the lines when he was appointed, if not my apologies).

Personally speaking, I’d heard of NA before but didn’t know much about him. So, after considering the position we were in at the time (league / financial etc.), on balance thought he was worth a punt. Don’t get me wrong though, if we were a good Championship side appointing him, I’d have probably been a bit more doubtful about it.

2 Questions for those who knew all along that he was going to be shit –

1/ What was it that gave you the knowledge it was going to be a disaster?

2/ Using your spidey senses, who should TS appoint to guarantee success going forward?

Nb – I Hope the spelling, grammar and layout is okay.

As I said at the time it was absolutely obvious that Adkins was a busted flush, or yesterday's man as others have also called him, based on his recent managerial record.

He did very well between 2006-2012, nobody can take that success away from him and it was an exceptional achievement to do what he did at Scunthorpe and Saints.

However, since leaving Saints he got sacked after abysmal reigns at Reading and Sheffield United and then produced a win ratio of 33.3% at Hull whom he lead to the glories of mid-table Championship security.

What, based on that record from 2012-2021, would suggest that he was the right man to take over at Charlton in League One? 

We were backing the bloke based on what he had achieved ten years ago, ten years ago!

His combined winning average since leaving Southampton is 38%, that's nowhere near where you need it to be if you want to getting promoted, not even close and basically gets you mid-table at best.

The question that Sandgaard should have been asking is, "This bloke has failed at his last three clubs, why is it going to be any different here? What's he going to do now that he wasn't doing in those last three jobs?"

I would have loved him to have succeeded and proved me wrong but we have won two out of twelve games, that's relegation form and only a fool would argue that he was the right appointment now.

As for who succeeds him, well, there are no guarantees on anybody, but history is our absolute best guide to the future and we have always succeeded when promoting from within our own ranks, or from our own people.

Curbishley, Powell and Bowyer being the best examples - Pardew was Palace so we can't include him.

I am just not sure about Jackson and Euell, they have been on the scene for a long time and the players need a fresh face and voice, not more of the same.

I think we need root and branch reform of the whole footballing side of the club, we are miles off track, so I'd love to see Curbishley come back as Director of Football, overseeing our recruitment and player development, working alongside a young coach with a Charlton background, maybe that is Jackson/Euell, I don't know.

What I do know is that the last thing the club needs is another outsider like Robinson or Adkins that talks a good game but doesn't know the club and doesn't deliver.
    Did Adkins fail in those jobs or just not have success?

Sheffield United is the outlier because they finished so low but they could have got in the play offs with 2 games to go.  I would say that's a minor fail and without watching all there games it could be down to luck, injuries etc etc.

Par is what I would expect under Adkins, not miracles.  He achieved our par more often than Bowyer did last season.  Adkins has never had a season like the one we are having now before.  Why?

Has he changed?  Has football changed? Have people changed?

Has Nigel Adkins, as of today, failed?  Yes of course.  Will just sacking him achieve anything?  I really don't think so. 
    Sheffield Utd mate of mine says Adkins is the worst manager he’s seen there in 40+ years. 
  • edited October 2021
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Chris Hughton would be my first choice, assuming he'd be up for it.
    And who would you want as manager?
    Give that to Hughton n all. Assuming he can still walk
    I think you need to read up on Hughton’s time at Forest. Not sure Arter would be pleased to see him. 
  • edited October 2021
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    I think you need to read up on Hughton’s time at Forest. Not sure Arter would be pleased to see him. 
    Think you better read up on our time over the last couple of years mate. We're not exactly a glowing opportunity for anyone who's ripping up trees in anywhere else in recent years......

Thin the term beggars can't be choosers would be more than apt
  • Gribbo said:

Where's he from?

Think he's also a fan
    Na can’t be true. He’s just a tweeter.
  • If Adkins goes -  and time is not on his side - do people think we have a good enough and deep enough squad to get out of this mess?  Not good enough on paper, but on the pitch?  If not, then not even the best manager available will be able to polish a turd.
  • Sponsored links:

• Adkins should resign - he must know he can't turn this around.
  • Maccn05 said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Let’s be honest here, everyone saying they would take Michael Beale wouldn’t of had a clue who he was if he never tweeted about us. 
    Doesn’t make sense that JJ isn’t the answer because he’s part of the coaching set up and never managed before but Michael Beale is a young and upcoming coach etc - all because he has sent nice tweets about us. 
    What? 

There are a countless talented young coaches out there, look at MK Dons manager. Plenty of people on here have been calling for someone like that for ages, Beale included. Why would we not want a promising talent to be our manager? Got fuck all to do with his tweets.
    You are telling me, you knew about Michel Beale before he started tweeting about Charlton?
    Absolutely as would most football fans past the casuals. Was highly regarded for the work he was doing at Liverpool years ago.

looking to promising U23’s coaches is a model that’s working elsewhere right now and one I’d be supportive of at Charlton.

look at Rob Edwards at FGR and Manning at MK

Beale would be my absolute dream appointment, there's some fantastic videos on YouTube with him talking about his philosophy and how he wants sides to play. However I think in our current situation even with his links to the club I just can't see it happening. 

I'd much rather go for a younger head coach type that's maybe from someone's U23s or academy than another "Name" like a Hughton 
  • Dave Rudd said:
    We've got four threads now, all discussing the same issue.

For me, it distils down to this:

We have a collection of average League 1 players, most of whom are underperforming.  Add to that some kids who aren't good enough and we find our natural level ... bottom half of the table.  Why would anyone expect anything different?  It's merely wishful thinking to imagine anything else.

Sandgaard needs to start again.  His first year has been shambolic.

He needs to clear out all of his misplaced appointments, take the hit to his pocket and do it properly next time.  That means recruiting proper football people, not David Brent types who operate with spreadsheets and laser pointers.  Simply replacing Adkins doesn't fix the problem.  No new manager is going to transform this squad of mediocre League 1 players.  Roddy, Gallen etc are all part of the problem, and their time is done. 

And, if Sandgaard doesn't have the money to do that ... remembering that getting promotion out of League 1 was probably the easy bit of his foolishly-stated five-year plan ... then he needs to find some investor partners, or sell up to someone who knows what they are doing and who has the dosh to do it.

Don't forget that we still have the legacy of ground and training ground ownership to deal with. 

Of course, I'm eternally grateful that Sandgaard saved us ... but that doesn't gloss over the fact that he has underestimated the cost of his dream and that he has failed to appoint people who he can rely on to deliver in a sphere which he knows nothing about.

You need help, Thomas.  You need to speak to the right people and you need to fix this shambles ... or sell up and go back to the World you know which is ... remind me ... pain relief?

Quite ironic really.
    As an addendum to the final paragraph I would add ‘hire somebody who know how to run and operate a football club from top to bottom’.

But essentially ‘THIS’.

If the guy at the top keeps hiring the wrong people, won’t or can’t make the required changes, and won’t listen to anyone who knows how to find and hire the right people, then as a club we are royally fucked.
  • edited October 2021
    Am I missing something? 
    What’s with all the talk about Beale? 
    Not sure he’s the sort of character I want managing our club…

“Destitution’s brilliant”
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Think you better read up on our time over the last couple of years mate. We're not exactly a glowing opportunity for anyone who's ripping up trees in anywhere else in recent years......

OK ‘mate’.
  • Mick McCarthy might be available in a few days / weeks
  • edited October 2021
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

OK ‘mate’.
    Ain't we friends anymore then? Sad about that.
  • Trying to console myself with the thought that depending where TS is in America, he may have not had his breakfast yet and certainly high noon hasn't been reached. Just sack the one trick pony and let's move on. 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!