Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• Can only hope the delay is the club getting the next manager lined up…
    I wish I shared you're faith and belief .. but let's all hope you're right and that delay is not an early symptom of complete inertia
  • I know many want Adkins gone but just maybe not getting his top 10 targets during the window hasn't helped. Also I've looked back at the goals conceded and our keeper is not very good. He could have stopped some of them but, he could have helped clear the ball earlier and not keep it alive by punching and pushing it into dangerous areas.
    Change sure but the players are very one dimensional and with a lump up front, can't see it changing until they start looking like they enjoy playing together.
    As much as Adkins deserves to take a lot of the blame , equal blame has to be given to those responsible for what in my eyes was the worse ever transfer window in the clubs history 
  • CH4RLTON said:
    I know many want Adkins gone but just maybe not getting his top 10 targets during the window hasn't helped. Also I've looked back at the goals conceded and our keeper is not very good. He could have stopped some of them but, he could have helped clear the ball earlier and not keep it alive by punching and pushing it into dangerous areas.
    Change sure but the players are very one dimensional and with a lump up front, can't see it changing until they start looking like they enjoy playing together.
    As much as Adkins deserves to take a lot of the blame , equal blame has to be given to those responsible for what in my eyes was the worse ever transfer window in the clubs history 
    Last season's transfer window was great - are we going to say the same thing every season?
  • Ben18 said:
    Get rid of him. Tomorrow morning latest. 

Jacko in charge as caretaker while TS/GR look for a permanent option. 

If by some miracle, we start playing well, then stop the search and give it to Jacko. 

Can’t face another game of Adkins. Have to change something!
    I've a lot of sympathy for this argument .. there is still a lot of time to arrest the downslide .. but change is needed sooner than a s a p
  • 71AD - Battle of Stanwick: Quintus Petillius Cerialis, governor of Britain, puts down a revolt by the Brigantes (Northern scum ;))
    Oh christ…
  • 71AD - Battle of Stanwick: Quintus Petillius Cerialis, governor of Britain, puts down a revolt by the Brigantes (Northern scum ;))
    are you suggesting that Ol Nige is a reincarnation of Quintus Petillius Cerialis ? .. your comment belongs on the match preview post .. the hordes from pagan Accrington will soon be at the gate
  • Sponsored links:

I wish I shared you're faith and belief .. but let's all hope you're right and that delay is not an early symptom of complete inertia
    Now, what's that old saying.... 

" Procrastination is the thief of L1 points " ? 
  • Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:
    What's he said about Charlton?

Where's he from?

I just done a quick Google of him and his Facebook come up, turns out I've a couple of random (non football) mutual freinds with him.
    Beale is an ex-Academy player here @ Charlton, came through with Parker and Fortune etc.

Think he's also a fan
    Reckon he's from Bromley
    Yep, Downham to be specific. Coached a few of my mates at a local kids team. 
  • Gribbo said:
    RedRobin said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Where's he from?

I just done a quick Google of him and his Facebook come up, turns out I've a couple of random (non football) mutual freinds with him.
    Beale is an ex-Academy player here @ Charlton, came through with Parker and Fortune etc.

Think he's also a fan
    Reckon he's from Bromley
    Wonder if he ever used the shop next to Grove Park BR Station. We could be practically brothers
    What with the other two that used to post on here you’d only need one more to make up a five aside team 😉
  • RedChaser said:
    Gribbo said:
    RedRobin said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Where's he from?

Think he's also a fan
    Reckon he's from Bromley
    Wonder if he ever used the shop next to Grove Park BR Station. We could be practically brothers
    What with the other two that used to post on here you’d only need one more to make up a five aside team 😉
    Walkin football these days
  • Gribbo said:
    RedChaser said:
    Gribbo said:
    RedRobin said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Where's he from?

Think he's also a fan
    Reckon he's from Bromley
    Make that walking frame and I’m available 😉
  • RedChaser said:
    Gribbo said:
    RedChaser said:
    Gribbo said:
    RedRobin said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Where's he from?

Think he's also a fan
    Reckon he's from Bromley
    Was you there yesterday Red?
  • Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:
    RedChaser said:
    Gribbo said:
    RedChaser said:
    Gribbo said:
    RedRobin said:
    Gribbo said:
    Gribbo said:

Where's he from?

Think he's also a fan
    Reckon he's from Bromley
    Was you there yesterday Red?
    In spirit only mate, watched the stream from overseas. Would’ve been a poxy 3 hours journey each way across country.
  • Another problem is that if Jackson/Euell get the job and get a couple of scrappy draws. TS is going to be very unpopular if he sacks them both for his 'preferred' choice. 

The fanbase are going to cling onto any kind of improvement that JJ + E give to the team because of how desperate they are to succeed. 

Giving them the job and them doing an average job will put us in a lot of trouble because TS will be hesitent to move them on, even if they aren't getting the result required to save us. 
  • edited October 2021
    I actually now think that if we bring a new manager in it will be the same. Something seems wrong behind the scenes. Why no comment from Thomas? 
  • edited October 2021
    I still think that with a change of formation, we can be more competitive, as there are enough options in the squad. Our 4231/433 isn't working as we're being slaughtered down the flanks. With 4 attacking players who can't defend on the pitch, it can easily look more like 424

Change to a Curbs/Powell 442 or 4411 with one winger and 3 midfielders and we look more solid, e.g.

Keeper

RB Lavelle Famewo LB

Clare/Morgan  Arter/Dobson  Gilbey/Morgan  CBT/Leko

Lee/Leko/Washington

Stockley/Davison

In no way excusing Adkins, but is the constant use of the 433/ 4231 a requirement? We've heard of the pathway plan which sounds exactly like the saints model, a clear pathway from the youngest age group to first team, all play to the same formation and style, players and coaches  are scouted and brought in to fit to the club's vision.

I guess a question.to ask is, are we paying 433/4231 because that's what Adkins wants or do we have Adkins because thats what the club wants - 433/4231, sound similar yet pretty different... Look at Adkins' past jobs in particular the League one seasons and he mainly played... yep, 442...add in the comments that Henry wrote up from the teams chat the other day, about what's needed for a league one squad he said: 

Tall players - as lot of goals come from set pieces
    A captian - for those tough games
    Warriors - for those tough games 
    Athletic players to get through a 40+ game season
    Settled side
    Left and right set piece takers - as a lot of goals come from set pieces 
    Pacey player
    20+ goal a season man

Sounds like the basics of a 442 to me...

And from that list of league one must haves we signed what? 

One tall player - Stockley
    Pacey player - CBT/Leko

Again, not excusing him as if his hands are a bit tied*, then he needs to have a word and say something to the powers that be rather than act a complete mug and go with it - that's still sackable as that's avoiding our issues in the hope it'll click.

* Not trying to add to the current list of CL   conspiracy theories facts: 

Roddy keeping Adkins in job because they're old buddies from when they wasn't at Reading together

Roddy not telling TS how bad it really is because TS has no way of seeing that for himself.

Adkins has lost the dressing room because he's far too nice and the players don't respect him because of it.

JJ and Euell have no say because Adkins, Mr far too nice immediately shuts them down and bullies them into silence.

Adkins channels his inner Fraye and only gives instructions such as "play football"

DJ threw a dildo called Adkins at the dugout on Saturday.

• Does Michael Beale want to be a manager ?

Highly rated Uefa Pro coach but at 41 years old he would need to get a head coach/managers job quite soon.

Living by Loch Lomond with his wife and 3 children why would he want to head back to Bromley ? Ok he may fancy Chislehurst to living north of the border to save his kids developing a Scottish accent ! Beale Supplements his income at Rangers by writing books, blogs and  coaching seminars.

The Charlton athletic connection is interesting with his youth career but until someone gives you a chance to be number one and face the added pressure, you don't know if coaches can step up.

It feels like time to give the Cafc job to someone a lot younger than Nigel Adkins  with some new ideas as football continues to evolve. 
    This is a good read. I think he’d move for the right role, he lived in Brazil for 7 months to coach over there. He went from Chelsea to Liverpool, and now Scotland.

He was desperate to manage but doesn’t seem quite as important now. However later on in the article he still talks about managing abroad.

https://www.coachesvoice.com/rangers-coach-michael-beale-steven-gerrard-liverpool-chelsea/

I was 20 when I started coaching. Right from the start, I said: “I’m going to knock down every wall until I’m 40, and then at 40 I’m going to be a manager.”

I wanted to be a manager outside England. I was very clear on that. Back then, I felt that English players and coaches weren’t respected around Europe. Bobby Robson and Terry Venables were huge role models for me, because they had gone overseas and won that respect. That’s what I wanted.

At the start, it was an obsession.

But I don’t necessarily have that urge to be a manager now. In the previous 18 years before joining Rangers, I’d been a youth developer, an under-23 coach and a first-team coach.

For now, that gives me everything I need. I’ve still got the dream of managing outside England one day. I’d still like to be an under-18s coach – the one job I’ve never done – and, when I’ve got a few more grey hairs, I’d like to be a head of youth.

But I’m not chasing these things.

I’m not exactly where I thought I’d be at 38.

I’ve already gone well beyond that.
  • I still think that with a change of formation, we can be more competitive, as there are enough options in the squad. Our 4231/433 isn't working as we're being slaughtered down the flanks. With 4 attacking players who can't defend on the pitch, it can easily look more like 424

Change to a Curbs/Powell 442 or 4411 with one winger and 3 midfielders and we look more solid, e.g.

Keeper

RB Lavelle Famewo LB

Clare/Morgan  Arter/Dobson  Gilbey/Morgan  CBT/Leko

Lee/Leko/Washington

Stockley/Davison

In no way excusing Adkins, but is the constant use of the 433/ 4231 a requirement? We've heard of the pathway plan which sounds exactly like the saints model, a clear pathway from the youngest age group to first team, all play to the same formation and style, players and coaches  are scouted and brought in to fit to the club's vision.

I guess a question.to ask is, are we paying 433/4231 because that's what Adkins wants or do we have Adkins because thats what the club wants - 433/4231, sound similar yet pretty different... Look at Adkins' past jobs in particular the League one seasons and he mainly played... yep, 442...add in the comments that Henry wrote up from the teams chat the other day, about what's needed for a league one squad he said: 

Tall players - as lot of goals come from set pieces
    A captian - for those tough games
    Warriors - for those tough games 
    Athletic players to get through a 40+ game season
    Settled side
    Left and right set piece takers - as a lot of goals come from set pieces 
    Pacey player
    20+ goal a season man

Sounds like the basics of a 442 to me...

And from that list of league one must haves we signed what? 

One tall player - Stockley
    Pacey player - CBT/Leko

Again, not excusing him as if his hands are a bit tied*, then he needs to have a word and say something to the powers that be rather than act a complete mug and go with it - that's still stackable as that's avoiding our issues in the hope it'll click.

* Not trying to add to the current list of CL   conspiracy theories facts: 

Roddy keeping Adkins in job because they're old buddies from when they wasn't at Reading together

Roddy not telling TS how bad it really is because TS has no way of seeing that for himself.

Adkins has lost the dressing room because he's far too nice and the players don't respect him because of it.

JJ and Euell have no say because Adkins Mr far too nice immediately shuts them down and bullies them into silence.

Adkins channels his inner Fraye and only gives instructions such as "play football"

DJ threw a dildo called Adkins at the dugout on Saturday.

It's a good question.  I see a lot of comments that it's the formation that's the problem or doesn't suit the players we have.   Every club in this division, and the one above, play either a flat back four and 1 central striker or 3/5 at the back.   The very rare examples of 442 use either a diamond or box 4 rather than the flat 4 of yesteryear.

We played it at the end of the season last season and it worked.  Kirk probably hasn't played in any other formation in his career, Leko and CBT would have played it a youth level, Arter has played it most of his career.  It shouldn't bother Lavelle in his position.  Lee played it at both Luton and Oxford. 

All the summer recruitment should have been based on 4231/433 because that's what the manager wanted.   It probably was but, to me, it looks like it was more based on data and "good players" rather than how they fit in to the team.  Kirk and Lee are good examples of this, they are very different types of players to the ones we had in those roles last season. 

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!