Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• edited October 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I still think that with a change of formation, we can be more competitive, as there are enough options in the squad. Our 4231/433 isn't working as we're being slaughtered down the flanks. With 4 attacking players who can't defend on the pitch, it can easily look more like 424

Change to a Curbs/Powell 442 or 4411 with one winger and 3 midfielders and we look more solid, e.g.

Keeper

RB Lavelle Famewo LB

Clare/Morgan  Arter/Dobson  Gilbey/Morgan  CBT/Leko

Lee/Leko/Washington

Stockley/Davison

In no way excusing Adkins, but is the constant use of the 433/ 4231 a requirement? We've heard of the pathway plan which sounds exactly like the saints model, a clear pathway from the youngest age group to first team, all play to the same formation and style, players and coaches  are scouted and brought in to fit to the club's vision.

I guess a question.to ask is, are we paying 433/4231 because that's what Adkins wants or do we have Adkins because thats what the club wants - 433/4231, sound similar yet pretty different... Look at Adkins' past jobs in particular the League one seasons and he mainly played... yep, 442...add in the comments that Henry wrote up from the teams chat the other day, about what's needed for a league one squad he said: 

Tall players - as lot of goals come from set pieces
    A captian - for those tough games
    Warriors - for those tough games 
    Athletic players to get through a 40+ game season
    Settled side
    Left and right set piece takers - as a lot of goals come from set pieces 
    Pacey player
    20+ goal a season man

Sounds like the basics of a 442 to me...

And from that list of league one must haves we signed what? 

One tall player - Stockley
    Pacey player - CBT/Leko

Again, not excusing him as if his hands are a bit tied*, then he needs to have a word and say something to the powers that be rather than act a complete mug and go with it - that's still stackable as that's avoiding our issues in the hope it'll click.

* Not trying to add to the current list of CL   conspiracy theories facts: 

Roddy keeping Adkins in job because they're old buddies from when they wasn't at Reading together

Roddy not telling TS how bad it really is because TS has no way of seeing that for himself.

Adkins has lost the dressing room because he's far too nice and the players don't respect him because of it.

JJ and Euell have no say because Adkins Mr far too nice immediately shuts them down and bullies them into silence.

Adkins channels his inner Fraye and only gives instructions such as "play football"

DJ threw a dildo called Adkins at the dugout on Saturday.

It's a good question.  I see a lot of comments that it's the formation that's the problem or doesn't suit the players we have.   Every club in this division, and the one above, play either a flat back four and 1 central striker or 3/5 at the back.   The very rare examples of 442 use either a diamond or box 4 rather than the flat 4 of yesteryear.

We played it at the end of the season last season and it worked.  Kirk probably hasn't played in any other formation in his career, Leko and CBT would have played it a youth level, Arter has played it most of his career.  It shouldn't bother Lavelle in his position.  Lee played it at both Luton and Oxford. 

All the summer recruitment should have been based on 4231/433 because that's what the manager wanted.   It probably was but, to me, it looks like it was more based on data and "good players" rather than how they fit in to the team.  Kirk and Lee are good examples of this, they are very different types of players to the ones we had in those roles last season. 

It's not, in my opinion, that it doesn't suit the players it's that he doesn't have the players that have defensive nous to play the system. Corey Blackett Taylor does not understand tracking back, maybe one of the reasons he is at this level. Lee is once again a purely offensive player as is Kirk. Contrast that with someone like Miller, who clearly knew how to defend and attack, Pratley and the sorely missed Forster Caskey. Players like Dobson and Morgan are still learning the game but will be very good players but not yet. For me Adkins problem is that he is stuck to a system that is not producing results and refuses to alter that system, look at the substitution of Lee on Saturday, he bought Corey Blackett Taylor on rather than Stockley, he then changed it positionally twice after that. 
  • Bailey said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    I still think that with a change of formation, we can be more competitive, as there are enough options in the squad. Our 4231/433 isn't working as we're being slaughtered down the flanks. With 4 attacking players who can't defend on the pitch, it can easily look more like 424

Change to a Curbs/Powell 442 or 4411 with one winger and 3 midfielders and we look more solid, e.g.

Keeper

RB Lavelle Famewo LB

Lee/Leko/Washington

Stockley/Davison

In no way excusing Adkins, but is the constant use of the 433/ 4231 a requirement? We've heard of the pathway plan which sounds exactly like the saints model, a clear pathway from the youngest age group to first team, all play to the same formation and style, players and coaches  are scouted and brought in to fit to the club's vision.

I guess a question.to ask is, are we paying 433/4231 because that's what Adkins wants or do we have Adkins because thats what the club wants - 433/4231, sound similar yet pretty different... Look at Adkins' past jobs in particular the League one seasons and he mainly played... yep, 442...add in the comments that Henry wrote up from the teams chat the other day, about what's needed for a league one squad he said: 

Settled side
    Pacey player
    20+ goal a season man

Pacey player - CBT/Leko

Again, not excusing him as if his hands are a bit tied*, then he needs to have a word and say something to the powers that be rather than act a complete mug and go with it - that's still stackable as that's avoiding our issues in the hope it'll click.

Roddy keeping Adkins in job because they're old buddies from when they wasn't at Reading together

Roddy not telling TS how bad it really is because TS has no way of seeing that for himself.

Adkins has lost the dressing room because he's far too nice and the players don't respect him because of it.

JJ and Euell have no say because Adkins Mr far too nice immediately shuts them down and bullies them into silence.

Adkins channels his inner Fraye and only gives instructions such as "play football"

It's a good question.  I see a lot of comments that it's the formation that's the problem or doesn't suit the players we have.   Every club in this division, and the one above, play either a flat back four and 1 central striker or 3/5 at the back.   The very rare examples of 442 use either a diamond or box 4 rather than the flat 4 of yesteryear.

We played it at the end of the season last season and it worked.  Kirk probably hasn't played in any other formation in his career, Leko and CBT would have played it a youth level, Arter has played it most of his career.  It shouldn't bother Lavelle in his position.  Lee played it at both Luton and Oxford. 

All the summer recruitment should have been based on 4231/433 because that's what the manager wanted.   It probably was but, to me, it looks like it was more based on data and "good players" rather than how they fit in to the team.  Kirk and Lee are good examples of this, they are very different types of players to the ones we had in those roles last season. 

It's not, in my opinion, that it doesn't suit the players it's that he doesn't have the players that have defensive nous to play the system. Corey Blackett Taylor does not understand tracking back, maybe one of the reasons he is at this level. Lee is once again a purely offensive player as is Kirk. Contrast that with someone like Miller, who clearly knew how to defend and attack, Pratley and the sorely missed Forster Caskey. Players like Dobson and Morgan are still learning the game but will be very good players but not yet. For me Adkins problem is that he is stuck to a system that is not producing results and refuses to alter that system, look at the substitution of Lee on Saturday, he bought Corey Blackett Taylor on rather than Stockley, he then changed it positionally twice after that. 

I agree. Adkins has to go but this squad is no great shakes either. A terrible recruitment drive in the summer.
    We are in deep shit
  • J BLOCK said:
    Getting more pissed off at TS by the day. Why is Adkins still in charge of this football club. 
    Because it all comes down to having the bollocks and money and he hasn't got either of them !!!
  • Must have incredibly thick skin to be a football manager. If I knew the vast majority of people wanted me to go, I'd need to contact TS at first signs of it and sort what was gonna happen with a view to me going, but not leaving him managerless. 

This is where I think football is a completely different business to almost any other.
  • 2 years left on his contract. Anyone care to guess what he's on a year? I imagine at a minimum it would cost half a million to pay him off. Don't think he'll be going anywhere for at least another 10 games.
  • Thomas - if you don't change things then nothing changes...
  • Sponsored links:

• Fully expect to lose tomorrow night and Adkins to be gone Wednesday.
  • Cloudworm said:
    2 years left on his contract. Anyone care to guess what he's on a year? I imagine at a minimum it would cost half a million to pay him off. Don't think he'll be going anywhere for at least another 10 games.
    Why? It will still cost half a million in another 10 games
  • Reckon he's on about £120k to £150k pa. Complete stab in the dark though
  • redbuttle said:
    Fully expect to lose tomorrow night and Adkins to be gone Wednesday.
    We say that before every game..
    I do think it applied before Fleetwood (thought losing 4-1 at home would do it anyway but losing the next game too definitely would, and the win saved him.

Maybe at this stage TS sees it as 2 wins from 3, but frankly we shouldn't count beating Southampton's youth team.

But another loss tomorrow....
  • This might have been discussed but in case it hasn’t, I was told at the weekend that Washington asked to play down the middle and that request didn’t go down well with Adkins, so Washington has been marginalised. Sorry if that’s repetition, I haven’t read this whole thread!
  • I suppose when you have a large squad, one way of solving selection dilemmas is to marginalise certain individuals on the flimsiest of pretexts
  • Sponsored links:

• Addick_8 said:
    Bailey said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Keeper

RB Lavelle Famewo LB

Lee/Leko/Washington

Stockley/Davison

Settled side
    Pacey player
    20+ goal a season man

Pacey player - CBT/Leko

I agree. Adkins has to go but this squad is no great shakes either. A terrible recruitment drive in the summer.
    We are in deep shit
    Agreed we are currently in deep shit. However, this current squad is easily a top 6-12th squad in the league. No way should this group of players be where they are. They are partly to blame but buck stops with Adkins.
    Is it?  To be 6-12th we would pretty much have to have had double the points we have got.  I could make an argument for 4 or 5 more points, but not 9-10 with the players we have got.

Last season we had a 6-12th team, a couple of slight improvements would have made it a comfortable top 6 team.  We haven't improved a single position (maybe right wing and back up RCB at a push).  Every other new player is worse than the one they replaced, in the starting 11.

Add in the fact last season, for large parts, we were as poor as we are now, the big difference was Aneke turned defeats into draws and draws into wins.

The whole place is rotten. 
  • Bailey said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Keeper

RB Lavelle Famewo LB

Lee/Leko/Washington

Stockley/Davison

Settled side
    Pacey player
    20+ goal a season man

Pacey player - CBT/Leko

We are in deep shit
    A good manager will make this side hard to beat, Curbs stated that they are too open, he is spot on. TS and Adkins have stated that they have been surprised by the strength of this division, why? You have to beat the eleven men facing you and with Adkins as Manager there is clearly enough evidence to suggest that the chances of wins are limited. 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    This might have been discussed but in case it hasn’t, I was told at the weekend that Washington asked to play down the middle and that request didn’t go down well with Adkins, so Washington has been marginalised. Sorry if that’s repetition, I haven’t read this whole thread!
    I hope a lot of these stories are conjecture and make believe, but more and more seems to be seeping out that suggests Adkins isn't getting on well with players. 

• edited October 2021
    We had a transfer window before the season started that suggested we didn't have any money. Fair enough, but then we started buying players and had the size of squad that suggested we did. We heard suggestions of disquiet and no promotion bonuses which also suggested we didn't have any money.

Could it be we found money or was the window just terribly managed. I am minded of the rebuild under Powell, probably with less money spent, where signings were made early and there seemed to be a real togetherness. Could it be that we have too many cooks in our structure tripping over each other?

I feel a bit sorry for Sandgaard because he has invested, but I suppose that has to be tempered with the fact he appointed the people responsible for this mess. I was a bit scathing about him playing his song on the first game, not because of the song, but the lack of awareness of how poor the squad was which made it inappropriate. It can only point to a lack of awareness and being fed ballshit from the people he has appointed. 

There is talk of getting a good CEO which is sensible, but the priority is getting a good manager and giving them control of the football side. You don't need a CEO for that. Sandgaard is paying for a lot of experts to discuss on Charlton TV. He can get their help in making the right appointment, but get rid of this stupid structure where Adkins actually told us he hadn't had a chance to speak to Kirk yet........after we had bloody signed him. 
  • Addick_8 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Bailey said:
    Cafc43v3r said:

Keeper

RB Lavelle Famewo LB

Lee/Leko/Washington

Stockley/Davison

Settled side
    Pacey player
    20+ goal a season man

Pacey player - CBT/Leko

We are in deep shit
    Agreed we are currently in deep shit. However, this current squad is easily a top 6-12th squad in the league. No way should this group of players be where they are. They are partly to blame but buck stops with Adkins.
    Is it?  To be 6-12th we would pretty much have to have had double the points we have got.  I could make an argument for 4 or 5 more points, but not 9-10 with the players we have got.

Last season we had a 6-12th team, a couple of slight improvements would have made it a comfortable top 6 team.  We haven't improved a single position (maybe right wing and back up RCB at a push).  Every other new player is worse than the one they replaced, in the starting 11.

Add in the fact last season, for large parts, we were as poor as we are now, the big difference was Aneke turned defeats into draws and draws into wins.

The whole place is rotten. 
    It really is. This squad is easily good enough for 6-12th in League 1. You can’t keep blaming recruitment and not Adkins. We have a decent squad for the third division of English football. 
    In October we:
    Don’t look fit.. all
    Manager doesn’t know his best 11
    Making 5/6 changes per game
    Look incredibly easy to beat
    Have no identity or style of play
    Players in wrong position, i.e Gilbey CDM, Morgan in Number 10. 

Who’s fault is that.. just recruitment? 
    It’s a shambles. The squad is being managed terribly hence why it’s sitting in the bottom 3 of league 1.

You seriously going to say that you don’t think this squad isn’t capable of let’s say.. 9th at this point? Come on now. Stop deflecting it away from Adkins. I like the guy, but it very clearly isn’t working with him. 

To be 9th you would have to double our points.  Compare it to last season.  Keeper worse, left back worse, left winger worse, a massive JFC sized gap in the middle that hasn't been filled at all.  No game changer coming off the bench which, how ever you dress it up, would have left us in the bottom half last season.

I am not deflecting it away from Adkins I am saying that just sacking him and plugging someone else in with the same players and same set up wouldn't magically have doubled our points total.  I agree we should be doing better but I don't agree that we should be comfortably top half.

There is so much rotten, some of which is clearly Adkins fault, some of clearly isn't and some that we don't actually know who's fault it is.

He got the sub massively wrong on Saturday but outside of the starting 11 there wasn't anyone who is banging the door down to start a game.

There will be changes tomorrow night, regardless of who the manager is but the players that come in for the ones that were shit on Saturday will be the ones that were shit 2 or 3 games ago. 
  • While at Reading Adkins narrowly missed out on playoff places . He achieved 7th place.
    Following season they were languishing down the bottom of the table, and after a heavy loss he was sacked.

The league level was different (championship rather than L1) but sounds like quite a familiar story.

This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!