Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• Can’t believe he’s still here. I really dislike the man.
    That the thing isn’t it? - he’s the sort of bloke you really don’t want to dislike, but can’t help it. He is dragging the team down. He seems a decent man, yet won’t do the decent thing and resign. 
    And lose a pay off, why should he?
    That the thing isn’t it? - he’s the sort of bloke you really don’t want to dislike, but can’t help it. He is dragging the team down. He seems a decent man, yet won’t do the decent thing and resign. 
    Bottom line is it should be taken out of his hands anyway. TS needs to act - not sure why he hasn’t already. 
  • I still think that with a change of formation, we can be more competitive, as there are enough options in the squad. Our 4231/433 isn't working as we're being slaughtered down the flanks. With 4 attacking players who can't defend on the pitch, it can easily look more like 424

Change to a Curbs/Powell 442 or 4411 with one winger and 3 midfielders and we look more solid, e.g.

Keeper

RB Lavelle Famewo LB

Clare/Morgan  Arter/Dobson  Gilbey/Morgan  CBT/Leko

Lee/Leko/Washington

Stockley/Davison

• Rothko said:
    Adkins has 100% control of the tactics, he’ll never find a club where he has 100% control on recruitment, rarely happens now 
    And rightly so. 
  • I think that TS should offer Adkins a "by mutual consent " deal to go and if he refuses he should make it clear that he will be forced to sack him. This would look worse on A's CV and TS should also say something along the lines of: OK, then sue me under your contract and I will put my very competent lawyers on it and, at best, you will have to wait a long time for any payment. I think that this will make Adkins think seriously about it, and hopefully agree to a deal.
  • KINSELLA7 said:
    I think that TS should offer Adkins a "by mutual consent " deal to go and if he refuses he should make it clear that he will be forced to sack him. This would look worse on A's CV and TS should also say something along the lines of: OK, then sue me under your contract and I will put my very competent lawyers on it and, at best, you will have to wait a long time for any payment. I think that this will make Adkins think seriously about it, and hopefully agree to a deal.
    I don’t think being sacked hurts manager’s CVs anymore. It’s all just part of the business. How many times has Mourinho been sacked? 6?

• I agree up to a point but it's a completely different story in League 1 compared to the top 6 in the Premiership
  • KINSELLA7 said:
    I think that TS should offer Adkins a "by mutual consent " deal to go and if he refuses he should make it clear that he will be forced to sack him. This would look worse on A's CV and TS should also say something along the lines of: OK, then sue me under your contract and I will put my very competent lawyers on it and, at best, you will have to wait a long time for any payment. I think that this will make Adkins think seriously about it, and hopefully agree to a deal.
    If Thomas did that good luck in recruiting a new manager in the future. 
  • I still think that with a change of formation, we can be more competitive, as there are enough options in the squad. Our 4231/433 isn't working as we're being slaughtered down the flanks. With 4 attacking players who can't defend on the pitch, it can easily look more like 424

Change to a Curbs/Powell 442 or 4411 with one winger and 3 midfielders and we look more solid, e.g.

Keeper

RB Lavelle Famewo LB

Clare/Morgan  Arter/Dobson  Gilbey/Morgan  CBT/Leko

Lee/Leko/Washington

Stockley/Davison

That formation looks fine but if, as others have said, the players aren’t fit enough, then no set up is going to work. 
  • I don’t want to state the obvious here. 
    I am completely shocked he is still here? 
    It’s our worst evert position in our history and we aren’t reacting. 
    What is going on.. it surely has to be to do with compensation otherwise I can’t see why he’s not been let go
  • Sponsored links:

• Why is he still here? Can only assume TS is desperate for his choices to work out. It’s not going to happen and the longer this goes on fans will stop backing him and more conspiracy theories will emerge.
  • Scoham said:
    Why is he still here? Can only assume TS is desperate for his choices to work out. It’s not going to happen and the longer this goes on fans will stop backing him and more conspiracy theories will emerge.
    Or its not as simple as just sacking the manager its admitting that the whole "project" has failed.  Would any manager have got double the points total out of the same squad?

I think you could make a case for 5 or 6 points and Adkins job would still be on the line at least in the mind of most fans.  Because that still would be failure IMO. 
  • Scoham said:
    Why is he still here? Can only assume TS is desperate for his choices to work out. It’s not going to happen and the longer this goes on fans will stop backing him and more conspiracy theories will emerge.
    Puzzled myself , a lot of people are saying it’s money but it’s not going to cost a kings ransom to pay him off unless he is more skint than we know in which case we have bigger problems than they we think. 

I agree with you though ego is most likely the most reasonable explanation and a desire to not deviate from a plan they are convinced will work.
  • KINSELLA7 said:
    I don’t think being sacked hurts manager’s CVs anymore. It’s all just part of the business. How many times has Mourinho been sacked? 6?

Not after a certain number of dismissals. I can't see Adkins getting another job after this in league football, unless it's a basket case club
    Bottom line is it should be taken out of his hands anyway. TS needs to act - not sure why he hasn’t already. 
    Trouble is, he will sneak a draw on Tuesday and that will buy him another 3 games....
    Maybe because it’s his own fault??
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Or its not as simple as just sacking the manager its admitting that the whole "project" has failed.  Would any manager have got double the points total out of the same squad?

I think you could make a case for 5 or 6 points and Adkins job would still be on the line at least in the mind of most fans.  Because that still would be failure IMO. 
    Disagree, it’s not only about results, it’s performances. There’s no sign of a style of play emerging. We look like a team a manager has sent out with the instruction to “play football” and work it out for themselves. We don’t have a strength, our attacking, defending, passing, pressing etc, all poor. We’re reliant on a bit of individual magic from one of our attacking midfielders/wingers.

Had we managed the same number of points and results but improved I could back him. We fully deserved to lose yesterday despite the winner coming so late in the game.
    You can't argue with any of that.  It's remarkably similar to the 4 month run we had last season but without Aneke to cover over the cracks.  It's a deeper problem than just the manager imo. 
  • Sponsored links:

• All this mess and the way football is now leads me to these conclusions:

1. Only ever give a new manager a one season contract.
    2. Have a get out clause related to minimal acceptable performance. For example if in League One the team is under 1.25 points per game on average at any point after 10 games played then the contract can be terminated without paying up the contract. 
    3. After the first season a manager can have a two year contract and after that three years etc.

It sickens me that Adkins would get his contract paid up in full if sacked. It doesn't happen in the real world.

2. Have a get out clause related to minimal acceptable performance. For example if in League One the team is under 1.25 points per game on average at any point after 10 games played then the contract can be terminated without paying up the contract. 
    3. After the first season a manager can have a two year contract and after that three years etc.

It sickens me that Adkins would get his contract paid up in full if sacked. It doesn't happen in the real world.

That will only work if you give them a huge salary and make the risk worth it with a progressive club that could shoot up the leagues. 

you wouldn’t attract the decent managers who could get a 3 year deal with no strings elsewhere. 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Disagree, it’s not only about results, it’s performances. There’s no sign of a style of play emerging. We look like a team a manager has sent out with the instruction to “play football” and work it out for themselves. We don’t have a strength, our attacking, defending, passing, pressing etc, all poor. We’re reliant on a bit of individual magic from one of our attacking midfielders/wingers.

Had we managed the same number of points and results but improved I could back him. We fully deserved to lose yesterday despite the winner coming so late in the game.
    You can't argue with any of that.  It's remarkably similar to the 4 month run we had last season but without Aneke to cover over the cracks.  It's a deeper problem than just the manager imo. 
    Yep, agree, though difficult to judge Roddy, Gallen and the scouts/analysts etc when we don’t know the details. Different with Adkins as we watch the performances.
  • I know many want Adkins gone but just maybe not getting his top 10 targets during the window hasn't helped. Also I've looked back at the goals conceded and our keeper is not very good. He could have stopped some of them but, he could have helped clear the ball earlier and not keep it alive by punching and pushing it into dangerous areas.
    Change sure but the players are very one dimensional and with a lump up front, can't see it changing until they start looking like they enjoy playing together.
  • Scoham said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Scoham said:

Agreed, which is why the early struggles that Blackpool had last season aren't a relevant comparison. They had a young manager wanting to play a new style of football, and it took time for the players to adapt to it, but everyone could see what the end game was.

By contrast we're playing terrible football, where the players technically seem to be going backwards. Hoofball going forwards, but with so solidity at the back either.

No decent manager would sign up for that though.

Your applicants would be untested managers looking for their first managerial job, or out of work desperate managers looking to take any job to get back in the game.
  • Bloody hell, more than 300 posts since the final whistle yesterday (which was the last time I looked at the thread). While I have yet to have the joy of reading them, I suspect that may say a lot in itself.
  • Football management must be the only career I can think of where you get handsomely rewarded for total failure…. What a joke

This is a guaranteed way to ensure you only ever recruit managers who aren't very good. 
  • Maccn05 said:
    Football management must be the only career I can think of where you get handsomely rewarded for total failure…. What a joke
    happens all over .. big companies, banks, civil service, NHS
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!