Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• Scoham said:
    Bowyer under Robinson was just someone that came in from the outside to help out with training sessions. He wasn't someone fully involved with the team and therefore could breathe new life when he took over less than a year later. He was assistant manager but like I said, he came in from the outside and was a new breathe of life, he hasn't proceeded over the previous years of ineptitude. 

Jackson and Euell have been embedded in the squad for years. If they had ideas and suggestions, they would have told the manager and been used already. Other than an increase in 'passion' temperarily, Jackson offers nothing new. He's been in the coaching team for years during our decline. 
    Part of the problem is the squad fitness, which Jackson as a coach is partly responsible for. 

Get rid of everyone and start again. We are rotten to the core and need a complete overhaul. Stop saying 'give it to Jackson and see', we lose 5 more games and we are properly in the poo. We don't have the time on 9 points to be giving jobs to the boys because they've stuck around earning a wage for years hiding in the background.
    Not true, Bowyer became Robinson’s assistant manager in the summer of 2017. He got involved in coaching early on that year.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/22/karl-robinson-leaves-charlton-lee-bowyer-caretaker-manager

Euell has only recently got involved with the first team.

Like I said, he came from the outside to help out. Came in with new ideas of how the team should be run. 

Jackson has been a coach for how long now? It's a different situation. 
  • edited October 2021
    I am not convinced Adkins will be sacked, TS waited too long with Bowyer last season who only went as Brum came in. He has done the same this but no one is going to be coming in for Adkins whom is a busted flush and unlikely to get another job after this.

Getting rid of JJ and Euell at the same time is a little baby/bathwater to me.  Some consistency would likely be a good thing.  I have no idea of the quality of either as coaches but Euell did a good job at U23s and JJ has done a good job in the handful of games he has been in charge of.  Get NADs out now.  See how JJ does next 2 as caretaker.  Bring in new manager if he does not do well.

Whatever the outcome NADs going needs to happen today and Roddy needs to be with him.  Don't want him having anything to do with this club or the appointment of a new manager any more.
  • “We all know what football is,” said Adkins.

Well that’s a huge relief!

• IAgree said:

“We all know what football is,” said Adkins.

Well that’s a huge relief!

Off you go now Nige!
  • edited October 2021
    Scoham said:
    Bowyer under Robinson was just someone that came in from the outside to help out with training sessions. He wasn't someone fully involved with the team and therefore could breathe new life when he took over less than a year later. He was assistant manager but like I said, he came in from the outside and was a new breathe of life, he hasn't proceeded over the previous years of ineptitude. 

Jackson and Euell have been embedded in the squad for years. If they had ideas and suggestions, they would have told the manager and been used already. Other than an increase in 'passion' temperarily, Jackson offers nothing new. He's been in the coaching team for years during our decline. 
    Part of the problem is the squad fitness, which Jackson as a coach is partly responsible for. 

Get rid of everyone and start again. We are rotten to the core and need a complete overhaul. Stop saying 'give it to Jackson and see', we lose 5 more games and we are properly in the poo. We don't have the time on 9 points to be giving jobs to the boys because they've stuck around earning a wage for years hiding in the background.
    Not true, Bowyer became Robinson’s assistant manager in the summer of 2017. He got involved in coaching early on that year.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/mar/22/karl-robinson-leaves-charlton-lee-bowyer-caretaker-manager

Euell has only recently got involved with the first team.

Like I said, he came from the outside to help out. Came in with new ideas of how the team should be run. 

Jackson has been a coach for how long now? It's a different situation. 
    Yeah I re-read what you said and have deleted it, though I still think it’s worth a go for a couple of games (but no more unless it’s working). Our best managers in recent have been former players with no managerial experience, worth seeing if JJ has that potential.

Adkins and Bowyer had their own styles, no doubt JJ will have his own too. No assistant or coach would do everything the same way as the manager. If anything he’d avoid doing some of the this Adkins is doing.
  • J BLOCK said:
    Another point, Jackson and Euell are not the answer. We are in deep deep trouble and we can’t risk putting people with ZERO management experience in to try and save us from relegation. 
    Well that’s exactly what AFC Wimbledon did last season and look at them now.

Nothing is a guarantee. 
  • edited October 2021
    JJ knows that if Adkins is sacked he is highly likely to get a chance to manage this football club, something he has always dreamed about. Where is the motivation for him to help Adkins, then? It's a weird setup where he doesn't benefit from NA's success.
  • edited October 2021
    If Adkins doesn't resign and holds on for an undeserved pay off I hope our fans make his life as miserable as possible. The guy has 0% support and that fact needs to be rammed down his throat at every opportunity.
  • Sponsored links:

• I am sure in theory everything can be said to be sorted at the club.
    In practice we are headed for relegation.
    This is unlikely to be averted by waiting for everything to fall into place.
    Especially as I would think the culture at the club is everybody, football or non football, is protecting their back, looking after number one.
    The much vaunted togetherness has led to much repeated separation.
    The team could hardly be more disparate, what we saw yesterday we have seen all season, and frankly the points we have accumulated have been more fortuitous than earned.
    To me what is needed is quite dramatic change, not managed evolution.
    If we are destined for relegation (which I fear we are) then for a start I would play as many of the youngsters as possible, and tell them to enjoy it, do their best, and there won’t be recriminations.
    If we are going to battle for survival, then a lot of arses need kicking and the Nigel love in approach should be binned.
  • When you look at JJ and Jase they look totally disconnected to Nige on the sidelines.

So I really wonder do they believe in what he’s asking them all to do? Are they actually advocating something completely different?

It could be self preservation on their part or a genuine rift. 

Plenty of assistants have gone on to be very successful managers and these two have been successful too independently so I don’t think you can just throw them in with Adkins performance.
  • Chunes said:
    JJ knows that if Adkins is sacked he is highly likely to get a chance to manage this football club, something he has always dreamed about. Where is the motivation for him to help Adkins, then? It's a weird setup where he doesn't benefit from NA's success.
    Not sure I'd agree with that. JJ is not doing anything at the moment to suggest he's deserving of the role. Our defending of corners is pitiful which is largely his responsibility, His stock among the fans looks to have gone down significantly and I don't think he'd be a very popular choice if he got the job
  • Another match another lower low. 
    Ive been saying it for weeks NA has to go but unfortunately I’m not the one who pays the bills. 
    This club is heading for oblivion if TS continues to do nothing. 
    We are in a dire situation now and if  we are relegated what is the future for Charlton? I doubt there is one in league 4. 
  • Can’t believe he’s still here. I really dislike the man.
    Sadly I can, I think TS will give him a few more games whatever the performances are like.
  • Chunes said:
    Whilst we all love JJ let's be honest he is relatively unknown outside of Charlton. Any team appointing him would have numerous fans asking 'Who?'. Therefore he will know his best chance of getting a gig elsewhere is to be part of a setup that is doing well and getting accolades. Owner's could sell it well enough if they appoint a relatively unknown manager who is part of a team that is flying high, it's much more difficult selling the appointment of a manager who is pretty much unknown, has no managerial experience and comes from a team in the relegation zone.

There are plenty of people suggesting the name Michael Beale, however he has no managerial experience and I doubt anyone has seen him coaching to be able to form an opinion on whether he is good or not. He's linked because he has been part of successful clubs elsewhere and got himself a reputation because of it, that's essentially what JJ needs to do in order to get his name touted for jobs and I'm sure he knows that well enough.

He has also been around football long enough to know that if results don't go well he will get his share of the blame as seems to be happening now. There are plenty of people calling for his head and plenty suggesting he is part of the problem and he will be wise enough to know that will always be the case if results don't go well as people want someone to blame. I'm sure he knows there's no guarantee he will get the job if NA gets sacked, and you would actually say his best chance of employment either here or elsewhere is if the team is doing well. If we were top of the league nobody would be calling for his head or suggesting he needs clearing out.

Suggesting he somehow doesn't want the team to succeed because it will benefit him I think ignores all of that and also ignores the fact he has served the club with distinction for years. I'm sure he wants success for the club, not just because of his affinity with us but it is also his best chance of progressing his coaching/managerial career. 

• Has there been anything from TS since last night?
  • Part of the fans appeal with Beale is that he’s also ex Charlton 👍🏼
  • Gribbo said:
    Has there been anything from TS since last night?
    Not even a BOOM
  • Sponsored links:

• Would take Micheal Beale in a heart beat. Very respected coach and young. Exactly what we need. Sick and tired of these dinosaur managers on a merry go round, all in and out of jobs.
    Might want to move ourselves as well - Rumours are that Newcastle want Steven Gerrard so he'll either go with him, or Rangers might promote him themselves 
  • edited October 2021
    Gribbo said:
    Not even a BOOM
    Lets face it, nothing he can say at the moment, and has to concentrate on the DO side of management and get rid, hopefully he is keeping his powder dry till tomorrow before an anouncement.. B)
  • TS should look to Curbs no one else, and take every bit of advice he offers
  • Gribbo said:
    Probably at his local Rock club, playing his effing guitar.
  • Let’s be honest here, everyone saying they would take Michael Beale wouldn’t of had a clue who he was if he never tweeted about us. 
    Doesn’t make sense that JJ isn’t the answer because he’s part of the coaching set up and never managed before but Michael Beale is a young and upcoming coach etc - all because he has sent nice tweets about us. 
  • Maccn05 said:
    When you look at JJ and Jase they look totally disconnected to Nige on the sidelines.

So I really wonder do they believe in what he’s asking them all to do? Are they actually advocating something completely different?

It could be self preservation on their part or a genuine rift. 

Plenty of assistants have gone on to be very successful managers and these two have been successful too independently so I don’t think you can just throw them in with Adkins performance.
    Agree with this. Whilst I was glad JJ and Euell remained part of the set up and agreed with the decision I do have sympathy with NA as regardless of what has been said publicly it's obvious he will have wanted his own team around him. Almost every manager would have wanted the same and that's normally what happens when a new manager takes over. However on the flip side he took the job knowing what the deal was and unless I'm wrong I believe his usual assistant was also in employment elsewhere so maybe there was no decision to be made anyway if his normal assistant indicated he wasn't coming  

I've said before it seems JJ is a different character to what we saw under Bowyer. Who knows why that is, however nobody sees what happens on the training pitch to be able to say JJ is this terrible coach people now seem to be portraying him as. He could be the world's best coach being stifled by NA, he could be the world's worst coach and the reason NA looks in big trouble. But nobody knows for sure to be able to say either way as we don't see what happens on a daily basis, all we see is what happens in 90 minutes every week. Granted that's been dire.

What I would say is this club has always been better when we have had people who know the club as part of it, and JJ at least can point to very recent successes at this club and nobody questioned his credentials when we were doing well. 

if JJ and Euell got the sack tomorrow we would lose two people who clearly know the club and care about it's success. Given what I have witnessed so far this season on the pitch, characters like that seem in relatively short supply as it is.
  • What's he said about Charlton?

Where's he from?

I just done a quick Google of him and his Facebook come up, turns out I've a couple of random (non football) mutual freinds with him.
  • edited October 2021
    Addick_8 said:
    Let’s be honest here, everyone saying they would take Michael Beale wouldn’t of had a clue who he was if he never tweeted about us. 
    Doesn’t make sense that JJ isn’t the answer because he’s part of the coaching set up and never managed before but Michael Beale is a young and upcoming coach etc - all because he has sent nice tweets about us. 
    What? 

There are a countless talented young coaches out there, look at MK Dons manager. Plenty of people on here have been calling for someone like that for ages, Beale included. Why would we not want a promising talent to be our manager? Got fuck all to do with his tweets.
    You are telling me, you knew about Michel Beale before he started tweeting about Charlton?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!