Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• Honestly believe he can’t turn this around. If we do not have a new manager in place soon we are destined to play 4th tier football next season.
  • Latest News....
    Unconfirmed sources state, that Adkins Addicks Airways flight AAA L1P23 has crashed landed. An Investigation team are working around the clock to establish what went wrong and to trying and work out how AAA which left Thames based location, fully fuelled with new recruits has crashed. It’s understand that AAA were recently taken over by a US Danish businessman who employed a mysterious Technical director Ged Roddy. Social media has been awashed with rumours that the captain of the flight a alleged experience pilot, Nigel Adkins had been experiencing extreme hallucinations and had posted on social media incoherent ramblings, walking around countryside in a dazed and very confused manner. 
    It’s unclear where missing AAA L1 is and there is wide spread concern for the Charlton families who had booked tickets, having been  sold an optimistic so called "dream blewn away" ticket which appears now to have turned out to be a complete disaster. We await a statement from the beleaguered Owner & part time musician Thomas Sandguard. Investigators are increasing anxious to find AAA L1P23 Black Box where it is understand that there is mysterious data which help the investigation team establish how such a disaster occurred.  
  • We did start well. It started going wrong after about 30 minutes where we sat off a bit and stopped threatening them so much. Was this fitness or the desire to take the lead into half time? If it was the latter, conceding when we did set in the doubt. 

Curbs made a lot of sense with his points and indeed what he was suggesting worked for his teams, but going defensive might not for us. We make too many errors at the moment, basic errors, and we are better off IMO trying to beat teams 3-0. Not 1-0 and sit back a bit!
  • So what does he have to do in your books to turn it around?  I’ve been in the out camp since Wycombe, but I’d say if he wins the next 4 on the bounce I’ll happily retract?  
  • If he wins the next one he will get a stay of execution. Then we need to go on a positive run to follow that up. It isn't what I think or you think, but whilst he is the manager he has the opportunity to turn it round with results.
  • When you try to analyse out situation it is very difficult to nail down what the issue/issues are though isnt it ? 
    I personally think if we dont get 3 points this weekend NA will be gone. Trouble is I'm not certain that is where the issue is and I suspect nor is anyone else. Yes as manager the buck stops with him so he will go. What happens when the next person comes in ( I think it should be someone outside the club ) if the same issues are there ?
    Tough call for TS really
  • When I say I would like someone from outside it is because I get really pissed off with all this "we need PV as CEO, we need Curbs as Manager" ffs we need to get out of living in the past and move on. What we need is a whole team of people who have the skill sets and desire to lift the club through the leagues. Limiting ourselves to managers, coaches and executives who have previous connection to the club rules out alot of people. Quit looking inwards folks
  • edited September 2021
    Another thing on Adkins. It bothers me how he says we are so unfit and how players are still in pre season effectively - if this is the case why did we with so much energy in the first half-hour/hour against Bolton? If you have fitness issues we need to conserve energy sit in and hit teams on the counter.. Not blow ourselves out by halftime. 

It might be boring to watch, might not even get all 3 points but I’m fairly certain we wouldn't be getting walloped 1-4 at home to a newly promoted side in league 1. 
    Not being arrogant and saying I've worked it all out.. but this is basic stuff.
  • We need to sack him
  • Sponsored links:

• Addick_8 said:
    Another thing on Adkins. It bothers me how he says we are so unfit and how players are still in pre season effectively - if this is the case why did we with so much energy in the first half-hour/hour against Bolton? If you have fitness issues we need to conserve energy sit in and hit teams on the counter.. Not blow ourselves out by halftime. 

It might be boring to watch, might not even get all 3 points but I’m fairly certain we wouldn't be getting walloped 1-4 at home to a newly promoted side in league 1. 
    Not saying your wrong but what would the crowd of done, let alone the match thread, if we sat with 10 behind the ball as Bolton's back 4 and keeper passed it round amongst themselves for 45 minutes? 
  • edited September 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:I
    Addick_8 said:

Not saying your wrong but what would the crowd of done, let alone the match thread, if we sat with 10 behind the ball as Bolton's back 4 and keeper passed it round amongst themselves for 45 minutes? 
    Celebrated that we’d have been halfway there to another of those 25 clean sheets 😉.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Addick_8 said:

Whatever it would of been I reckon it would of been a little better then what the crowd done at FT when it ended 1-4
  • Addick_8 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    Addick_8 said:

Whatever it would of been I reckon it would of been a little better then what the crowd done at FT when it ended 1-4
    That's assuming we got to full time without letting in 2 or 3 anyway. 
  • It’s going to take 7 or 8 convincing performances on the spin to convince me.  And the trouble is, you have this bad a start, even if you come away with a point after dominating and on balance deserve to win a game, it won’t be enough.  You’ve basically done all your 9 lives and it will take a very considerate fan not to judge it in isolation.  

It’s hard enough to win games on the spin when you play well, let alone when you’re at rock bottom.

I was discussing the two home games with my dad and the Saturday Tuesday element.  At the best of times I don’t think we ever won two at home on the spin that much a few days apart.  We’d always win one and draw one.  That’s when we’re on form 
  • Winning several games on the spin is a tough call, whether based on our form or our fixtures

Fleetwood won't be easy, ditto Lincoln away. Accrington at home ought to be winnable (in normal circumstances) but then we're away to Sunderland...
  • bobmunro said:
    Chizz said:
    Adkins seems a really nice chap. I hope he's not out of a job for too long. 

Supply teacher perhaps?
    Hell no, the kids'd eat him alive.
  • edited September 2021
    The how long has he got question is also the why hasn't he been sacked yet question.

He could be already gone and Thomas will pull the trigger on Sunday, giving the new guy 2 clear weeks run up.  In that case Saturday's result is irrelevant.

I think it would take something incredibly awful to happen on Saturday for Thomas to sack him then, if he wasn't going to already.

If Thomas (and Roddy) know he didn't have a good enough squad to start, then a fit enough squad, through no fault of his own I would expect 2 defeats, deserved defeats in October would probably finish him.  2 wins and a draw and we will probably go into November looking at the same scenario. 

• Nottingham Forest acted quickly and have won two on the bounce. Sandgaard has bottled it and we won’t!
    Has he bottled it? Or is he holding his nerve and not panicking?
  • Sponsored links:

• After Adkins goes can we just give everyone a bit more time.
    Players, incoming manager and TS.
    Let's not forget 2 months ago TS thought he had his man and pumped was it £2 million into this seasons campaign.

• From the Peter Varney article in the VOTV and why I’m cutting Nigel Adkins some slack at the moment as I believe this to be the case with us:

‘At many clubs it is the sporting director who decides who to sign and the manager is told simply to coach them, even though it may be it is a player he doesn’t want. That approach breeds resentment with the manager, who in the eyes of the fans is the man to be sacked if the results on the pitch are poor.’

It's almost uncanny.
  • Two words...... Gus Poyet!!!!
  • AndyG said:
    When I say I would like someone from outside it is because I get really pissed off with all this "we need PV as CEO, we need Curbs as Manager" ffs we need to get out of living in the past and move on. What we need is a whole team of people who have the skill sets and desire to lift the club through the leagues. Limiting ourselves to managers, coaches and executives who have previous connection to the club rules out alot of people. Quit looking inwards folks
    I think there's a lot in what you say there. The results have been appalling, as have the team on occasion, but not consistently so. Some of the play has been reasonable and some of the poor results have been a matter of small margins. Even against Bolton, if that Davison shot had gone in it could have been completely different. 

I don't believe the team is all bad and I don't believe the manager is all bad. But somehow things aren't clicking. There's definitely fitness problem, I also think there's a problem with different formations. None of the players have everything, but none, even those I've been most critical of, are devoid of skill. All of them have some redeeming features. The biggest problem for me is a bad fit between the players available and I think this manifests itself in the huge differences in team selection. It's like trying to put a jigsaw picture together out of oddments. Individually all of the pieces are ok, but some of them belong in different boxes. Poor purchasing strategy is/was out biggest problem I think. 
  • I honestly believe that even if we lose on Saturday he won’t be sacked

TS is clearly driven by his ego and I don’t think his ego will allow him to admit to a mistake or lose face with the fans. He’ll want to price he was right in selecting NA.

I can see this going on for several games yet. Adkins will ask for the 2 weeks on the training ground and TS will allow them we’ll have a another few games.

The worst outcome mid to long term outcome is we win on Saturday and this slow death lingers on for even longer. 
  • Maccn05 said:
    I honestly believe that even if we lose on Saturday he won’t be sacked

TS is clearly driven by his ego and I don’t think his ego will allow him to admit to a mistake or lose face with the fans. He’ll want to price he was right in selecting NA.

I can see this going on for several games yet. Adkins will ask for the 2 weeks on the training ground and TS will allow them we’ll have a another few games.

The worst outcome mid to long term outcome is we win on Saturday and this slow death lingers on for even longer. 
    Was thinking pretty much the same thing this morning. As grateful as I am for Thomas saving the club, his ego could ruin things this season.

Someone needs to give all of them a kick up the arse.

We are lacking leadership right the way through from senior management to player level.

A case of too many cooks spoiling the broth......lets get back to basics.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    Nottingham Forest acted quickly and have won two on the bounce. Sandgaard has bottled it and we won’t!
    Has he bottled it? Or is he holding his nerve and not panicking?
    After Tuesday, bottled it
  • Maccn05 said:
    I honestly believe that even if we lose on Saturday he won’t be sacked

I think we need a decisive result AND performance on Saturday, one way or the other.

Either a carcrash defeat or a solid, well organised team performance, where the players look hungry and behind the manager
  • edited October 2021
    15 games should be judgement day because players came late to the party. If Nigel Adkins only had 25% say on transfer targets then he should have 15 games and if we are still a basket case of a team then an amicable arrangement with Thomas Sandgaard takes place and Nigel Adkins gets his new job with the Hampshire Ramblers.

Anyone who then hasn't reset to our plight can then do so and we have 31 games to stay up and work our way up to mid table if possible.

Staying up is the target now because we have been sussed out by the rest of the league that we can only play for about 45 minutes despite most games now being over a duration of 100 minutes with added time.

My ambition for Charlton is we are no lower than League 1 in 22/23 starting in August and we have a younger and vibrant fit team which can take on the 46 game season and if players play well they are fit enough to play the next game.

Reset, everyone including Thomas Sandgaard as the pie in the sky is a fantasy at present, and stop showing the premier games on the screen at the valley before the game it depressing to realise our far away that is now.

We can't compete in mediocre League 1, so let's just stop getting worse before the lofty ambitions kick in.

I knew we would miss super sub Aneke but a fit Ryan Inniss* is a major problem as well.

* Only played 14 games last season and unlikely to play many more this season with the same injuries that have dogged his career.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!