Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• We need to aim towards being mid table in January/February.
    If that happens, then there will still be hope of nicking a play off place!

Sounds like we've just taught Fleetwood a lesson. Don't tell me I'm getting carried away and I typically, randomly and naively now have unrealistic expectations. 

Adkins - the positive Nigel physio dodgy accent special one  ....with glasses 
  • edited October 2021
    thenewbie said:
    I'm in between. I'm really genuinely hoping Adkins can turn it around as he does seem a nice guy and there are certainly mitigating circumstances to his struggles. 

But I'm definitely starting to question if he can. Giving him a whole season could potentially have implications for several seasons to come if it goes badly enough.... Which so far, it is.
    CAFCTrev said:
    In all seriousness what's the NA situation now? He surely needs to go uneaten in the coming 5 games (winning a couple) to keep his job I reckon. 
    I agree - I want him to succeed (as you say he is a nice bloke), and I hope the Fleetwood game is a turning point- however I keep on thinking about the Crewe game so am muting my enthusiasm.
    There was a comment, in this thread, about Russell Slade and he got sacked for only winning 5 games up to November 14th, and I think it is only fair the Atkins gets treated the same. However loosing 4-1 to Bolton on a Tuesday night was one of the worst nights I have ever seen going to the Valley, and as you said it would only take a winning run to stop making me think about that performance. Today can be a start though, but it is only a start if they hit the ground running after the international break.
  • Saved his job today i think. Battling performance that tells me the players are still with him and he hasn't lost the dressing room.
    Spot on Chris. It’s taken far too long but the players actually give it some today. 
  • Saved his job today i think. Battling performance that tells me the players are still with him and he hasn't lost the dressing room.
    Either that, or someone else got them fired up for todays game...
    Ooh you tease. Conspiracy theory or you been speaking to a ‘senior player’?
  • Sponsored links:

Ooh you tease. Conspiracy theory or you been speaking to a ‘senior player’?
    Just creating a potential talking point on a forum ;) - Although partly stems from the comment on here after Bolton (?) saying that the players ignore what Adkins says and primarily listen to Jackson
  • Can’t be trolling out the fitness bollocks anymore…10 games in is effectively longer than any pre season. If the players aren’t fit now (even if they were signed late) then how the fuck are they professional footballers??

no more excuses 
    I'm wondering if the new sports science team have gone over the top in protecting players and interfering with the degree of effort and exertion players are allowed to go though.

Imagine the pain Leeds players go through to attain their levels of stamina over 90 minutes. They don't even get subbed  to get a rest after 60 minutes.

• I've tended to be an unbeliever but tonight I'm firmly in the "let's see what the next 5 games bring" camp.

SOMETHING has suddenly changed for me. 

I'd love to think that today's team is the result of NA's tinkering /numerous examples of indecision in selecting his best possible ( and winning) matchday squad plus their levels of fitness finally reaching their peak. 

But, it's possible that it was achieved mainly by chance or a process of elimination. 

I'm fervently hoping it's the former and that we are now able to trust the gaffer to continue leading us onwards & upwards. 

Typically, the international break arrives at the worst time - just when we're finding some success on which to build but if this group continues in the same vein when we travel to Lincoln, then optimism, together with our league position, will undoubtedly rise. 

I'm keeping the faith for now.
  • Off_it said:

Why was Ronnie signed  and what happened to him ?

Where are all  the young Premiership loans we got under Bowyer..Maatsen,  Cullen , Gallagher etc

Why has our recruitment gone from outstanding with  zero budget to piss poor with a decent budget?

Why did we re sign Watson but release Pratley ?

It just doesn't make any  sense and while he has to go , something more structural is wrong at the club.

Adkins may just be the scapegoat for something more serious. 

No idea.

Where are all  the young Premiership loans we got under Bowyer..Maatsen,  Cullen , Gallagher etc
    Ask the owner, the buck stops with him.

Why has our recruitment gone from outstanding with  zero budget to piss poor with a decent budget?
    Maybe our owner does not have the money to spend. Have you seen how much his net worth is down since his stock went from $28 to $12?

Maybe we could not afford both?

It just doesn't make any  sense and while he has to go , something more structural is wrong at the club.
    Yes.

Yes, it's called the owner. I've been saying this for a year and most just say "he saved the club" blah, blah. But he bought the club for $1, owns no hard assets, just the brand. He does NOT have the money to make this work, has no idea how English football works and can't learn from Denver, Colorado. His new songs show he is out of touch. He is responsible for hiring Adkins! He needs to either hire a CEO or sell. Except no one wants to put money in a club post-Covid that is heading in a downward trajectory. There is a word for all of this... rot. And fish rot from the head. Over time more and more people are gonna come around to my point of view on this. We are not getting relegated but it seems like we are worse for the third season running. TS seems like a great guy. He is just not up for this job and honestly never was.

I've read some shit on here over the years but this takes the biscuit. Absolute bollocks.

You want him to "sell"? Sell to who? Matt Southall? The bloke from the UAE that had three or four different names? An accountant for dentists?

I really despair with our fans sometimes. After years and years of truly terrible owners where we either showed zero ambition or were in danger of going out of existence we finally have an owner who looks like he's trying to do the right things and bring some stability to the club. Yes, he's got over-excited and raised expectations, but he still gets my vote over any of the shit owners/hangers-on, villains and conmen we've had running the club into the ground for the past 10 years.

Maybe our fanbase is collectively traumatised and scarred, which may explain some of the irrational thinking and going off the handle. But the demands to sack everyone at the first sign of things going wrong just smacks of the self-entitled bollocks we'd normally get from Spurs or Arsenal fans.

We used to be better than that. Now I'm not so sure.
    Well , we are in our lowest ever league position. Somebody in the management team has to carry the can. When things get really bad in any organisation in my experience its always the person at the top  who has made the wrong calls, and should be held responsible.

Whether there is an alternative we will never know until he wants to sell. But until then, he needs to make better decisions or will inevitably be in the frame if we fail.
  • Sponsored links:

• Off_it said:

No idea.

Ask the owner, the buck stops with him.

Maybe our owner does not have the money to spend. Have you seen how much his net worth is down since his stock went from $28 to $12?

Maybe we could not afford both?

Yes.

Yes, it's called the owner. I've been saying this for a year and most just say "he saved the club" blah, blah. But he bought the club for $1, owns no hard assets, just the brand. He does NOT have the money to make this work, has no idea how English football works and can't learn from Denver, Colorado. His new songs show he is out of touch. He is responsible for hiring Adkins! He needs to either hire a CEO or sell. Except no one wants to put money in a club post-Covid that is heading in a downward trajectory. There is a word for all of this... rot. And fish rot from the head. Over time more and more people are gonna come around to my point of view on this. We are not getting relegated but it seems like we are worse for the third season running. TS seems like a great guy. He is just not up for this job and honestly never was.

I've read some shit on here over the years but this takes the biscuit. Absolute bollocks.

You want him to "sell"? Sell to who? Matt Southall? The bloke from the UAE that had three or four different names? An accountant for dentists?

I really despair with our fans sometimes. After years and years of truly terrible owners where we either showed zero ambition or were in danger of going out of existence we finally have an owner who looks like he's trying to do the right things and bring some stability to the club. Yes, he's got over-excited and raised expectations, but he still gets my vote over any of the shit owners/hangers-on, villains and conmen we've had running the club into the ground for the past 10 years.

Maybe our fanbase is collectively traumatised and scarred, which may explain some of the irrational thinking and going off the handle. But the demands to sack everyone at the first sign of things going wrong just smacks of the self-entitled bollocks we'd normally get from Spurs or Arsenal fans.

We used to be better than that. Now I'm not so sure.
    To be fair, I don’t think Napas view of reflective of the fan base, poor bloke probably thinks we play Baseball and couldn’t find the Valley on a map for a millions dollars. Typical septic, rant first, think later, or never. 
  • I don’t think him selling is an option as frankly I don’t think there are any other options full stop.

But he does need a CEO and he does need help. There have been too many mistakes to just ignore.

The line of ‘we finally have an owner doing the right things’ is based on what? Being a nice guy? (Which he seems to be). Connecting with the fans on an emotive level? (which he seems to have done). Saving the club? (which he did - but then again by default so did Roland from the spivs and even Southall so less said the better there).

The above is all correct but the other facts to balance include:

- Overseeing a terrible window 
    - The standard of arrival at its lowest point (Clare, Dobson etc) in years
    - A manager hire (his own man) who currently has a bloody long thread of people wanting him out. But who hired him?
    - His very own Roland impersonation by signing a vanity project in Ronnie.

So it all points to me that he needs to hire help / a CEO. Which is a perfectly reasonable question to ask when an owner of any business has put down the money but doesn’t have the knowledge to deliver on the business KPIs.

Or even an advisory board. I am on an advisory board for Brentford Football Club. It’s only 5 days a year but the 6 of us together seem to add value to how they run that allows the financial stakeholders to do their job but also take guidance on areas they do need help in.
  • Dave2l said:
    We need to aim towards being mid table in January/February.
    If that happens, then there will still be hope of nicking a play off place!

Sounds like we've just taught Fleetwood a lesson. Don't tell me I'm getting carried away and I typically, randomly and naively now have unrealistic expectations. 

Adkins - the positive Nigel physio dodgy accent special one  ....with glasses 
    I think that is a realistic view.  Not going to raise hopes yet of nicking a play off place at the end of it.

The description of Nige did make me chuckle though. 
  • wmcf123 said:
    meldrew66 said:

What's bugging me the most is understanding why it hasn't worked out? The squad is full of players who were highly rated at their last club (MacGillivray, DJ, kirk, Levelle etc) and yet 2 of the young stars (DJ & Kirk) have been discarded in no time at all along with Dobson. Famewo and Matthews look a shadow of the solid defenders they were last season. Hardly anybody can play 90 minutes any more. Pearce and Davison looked like loanee-out fodder but are now starting line-up material. Gilbey's back but playing as a winger when we aren't selecting wingers in the squad any more. Ronnie's stealing a living and being allowed to get away with it. 

This is my worry too.

I never took to Adkins and his 1990s style pep talks but it can't all be down to him surely.  Whatever we think of his poor results he has.loads of experience. 

I think Bowyer and Gallen were good at the no pot to piss in negotiations.  Bowyer also had the top flight name and it was clear that he did well with those young midfielders.  I really don’t believe that Dobson and Clare would have been signed by LB and he certainly wouldn’t have gone for the plethora of flakey wingers.  He also understood that you are only as good as your strikers 
    See the Aneke thread for that one. They've scored one goal in their last five games so why did he sign him when he can't score goals at that level or play for a meaningful length of time?
  • edited October 2021
    Chunes said:
    It's the manager and the players jobs to get results on the pitch. I don't like how it's all eyes on the owner when results aren't going our way. 
    But then the flip side would be to ask - is it fair the manager gets all the blame when potentially things like the transfer window may not have been delivered as he would have liked?

Is their not a middle ground that allows both elements to be criticised?
  • edited October 2021
    Chunes said:
    It's the manager and the players jobs to get results on the pitch. I don't like how it's all eyes on the owner when results aren't going our way. 
    Agree, he just has to manage and control the resources he has, and ensure they are the right people, he can't manage the teams performance on the pitch and ultimately results, that is the Managers role as we all know, i trust in Thomas to get any wronguns out if ness, he must be happy with yesterday, but this has to extend into another 5 or 6 wins, or that axe will need sharpening..
  • Chunes said:
    Agree, he just has to manage and control the resources he has, and ensure they are the right people, he can't manage the teams performance on the pitch and ultimately results, that is the Managers role as we all know, i trust in Thomas to get any wronguns out if ness, he must be happy with yesterday, but this has to extend into another 5 or 6 wins, or that axe will need sharpening..
    But surely there has to be a shared responsibility? I ask the questions again:

1) This is his club with his hire at the helm. If I hired someone at work for a key role who then appeared not to be right then that falls on me as my decision.

2) On the above - if he recruited the likes of Adkins and Roddy (I’m not saying they are the wrong uns but for arguments sake as an example - let’s say they were), it makes no logical sense to trust someone to get them out if he got them on board in the first place.

I am not solely anti Nigel or anti TS. But the errors taking place over the last year have to be shared from the ownership at the top to the players on the pitch.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!