Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• Agree that although Fleetwood could have got a result we also missed good chances ourselves. Even if we had won 5-0 it wouldn’t have proven Adkins had turned it around, he needs to consistently win games.

I wanted him out though I can't deny we've improved our attacking play in recent games. It was looking like the squad weren't playing for him but you don’t win away at Fleetwood without working hard.

The bigger concern is now our defending, we need to improve if we’re going to go on a winning run. Also key for me is keeping Gilbey and Arter fit.
  • I don’t think the two week breaks have worked for us in recent times , we’re due a good return after one !
    Certainly doesn't help when we've got players coming back from injury and looking to build up their match fitness and sharpness.

I know we have a pizza cup game, but if the club have any sense, they'll arrange a behind closed doors friendly against someone at the weekend and give 45 minutes to everyone.
  • Yesterday’s game could easily have ended in a draw, in which case I suspect the narrative would be very different here and elsewhere. There were several close shaves. That fine margin is itself reason to be wary of drawing conclusions.

I watched Adkins quite closely yesterday both at the game and at the station. Understandably, I don’t think he is in a great place. He has a huge task to turn the ship in time to save his job. Everyone should hope he can do it because that means the club will move forward, but the odds are still stacked against him.
    He looked stressed to buggery on the touchline during added time, harranging the 4th official and standing on the pitch

I wonder if he thought himself that he needed a win to save his job?
  • Just to put a bit of perspective on the Adkins Outers like myself.

If there is charlton fans who want us to lose so he’s gone even after that win, they’re prats, you’re just gonna have to deal my opinion there. And I’m an Adkins outer (although slightly less now).

We want Charlton and Adkins to do the business, so your “told you so’s” are fine with me, I want to be wrong about Adkins, I want egg on my face and him to win the next 5 games etc.  It’s not brexit it’s doesn’t have to be a divisive subject, we all want the same thing at the end of the day, Charlton wins.  It’s just we (Adkins outers) cannot see it getting better, but yesterday gives him some hope and he has my blessing the guy.
    Well put. I wasn't so much an Adkins Outer as an Arter Outer myself and I'm only too happy to have egg on my face in that situation too. It's weird how players and teams can vacillate so much in how effective they look mind 
  • Adkins seemed tetchy with Minto in the post-match, the bounce has gone from his step and he could probably do with a couple of days off. 
  • Croydon said:
    Charlton Athletic won a game in a spirited, battling display in testing, Northern conditions. 

For tonight, the world is a beautiful place. 

Park the anti-manager stuff for a while, he’s not going to get replaced in the next couple of weeks. Just enjoy the victory and hope this is the springboard we needed. 
    Adkins' Charlton will come good, but I fear that some will never be happy. 
    The win is nice, but I still dont see any evidence that we will come good under Adkins. 
  • Rothko said:
    Adkins seemed tetchy with Minto in the post-match, the bounce has gone from his step and he could probably do with a couple of days off. 
    The one thing I haven't heard Adkins do is call out players individually. There is a difference between saying "we might have taken that chance" and “You can say that’s cost us but Macauley [Bonne] has to score. You can’t keep missing chances like that. Three yards out. Connects with the ball properly and you score. Can’t miss chances like that. It ain’t good enough."

Being a Manager is as much about getting the most out of a player as it is coaching them. It's also about taking the pressure off the players when things aren't working out. In the last four games, we've twice we've come from behind in one to secure a draw and we sealed a win in one having been pegged back after taking the lead. That isn't the tell tale sign of a squad that downs tools when things aren't going right. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I will be delighted if Adkins proves us all wrong and turns things around.
    So would I but I suppose its depends on on what the expectations  a turn around is. My expectations are or were pretty high but I thought reasonable, promotion. That's going to require some turn around now and is not really any more than a pipe dream now. Playoffs are still a possibility but again not likely to happen. Games come thick and fast and we have already lost too many to have a serious punt at this league.
    We need to stop silly goals against us first and build confidence up in a losing team. That will probably mean quite a few drawn games. 
    I'd still get shot of and start the season again with a change of culture. I'd would like to go a bit further and change the entire coaching staff but obviously that's not going to happen.
  • edited October 2021
    Rothko said:
    Adkins seemed tetchy with Minto in the post-match, the bounce has gone from his step and he could probably do with a couple of days off. 
    To be fair I imagine a bit of tetchiness is understandable. Yes he's a positive guy but he's not an idiot and won't have missed the signs of unrest in the stands and Sandgaard's increasingly foreboding tone - he'll have known his job was not safe (and probably still isn't in the medium-long term.) 
  • Have said on a pre match thread that have thought Adkins needs to either pick the team to play his way or swallow a bit of pride and be more "effective" and embrace a bit of Stockley's head ball. Granted fitness and injuries have meant we havent seen the Arter, gilbey, Lee combo.

Saturday it was definitely a case of seeing the former, would not have been surprised to see two DM's in the side and Washington wide for example, was genuinely a surprising line up that, to me, is our most technical we can put out. We still looked a bit ropey at the back but with Arter, Gilbey, Lee, Kirk, Leko you're not expecting a massive amount of defensive work and turgid performances so can forgive it...

Hopefully we build on the win and push on, still pretty neutral in regards to Adkins though and if we're back to looking utterly pathetic then toodles Nige. 
  • Rothko said:
    Perhaps Jacko will be 'manager' again for tomorrow night's Pap game?

Adkins can sit high up in the stands like the rest of us. Then he'll see what we see.
    He can then see clearly how the game unfolds tactically.

• Seems sensible, I don't understand why more managers don't sit in the stands. Curbs used to do it of course but I can't think of many others that do these days. I'm sure they would see the game so differently. Steve Evans for one would benefit, financially if nothing else...
  • I hope that unless anyone injured we play the same side.
  • Redrobo said:
    I hope that unless anyone injured we play the same side.
    No chance of that happening. 
  • Scoham said:
    Agree that although Fleetwood could have got a result we also missed good chances ourselves. Even if we had won 5-0 it wouldn’t have proven Adkins had turned it around, he needs to consistently win games.

I wanted him out though I can't deny we've improved our attacking play in recent games. It was looking like the squad weren't playing for him but you don’t win away at Fleetwood without working hard.

The bigger concern is now our defending, we need to improve if we’re going to go on a winning run. Also key for me is keeping Gilbey and Arter fit.
    Yes, but within reason. If we keep playing the way we did against Fleetwood we’ll be fine, and that’s doable as we seem to be improving as players are getting match fit. But it’s unrealistic to expect us to go on five game winning runs, and I don’t think he needs to do that to save his job. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:
    Agree that although Fleetwood could have got a result we also missed good chances ourselves. Even if we had won 5-0 it wouldn’t have proven Adkins had turned it around, he needs to consistently win games.

Yes, but within reason. If we keep playing the way we did against Fleetwood we’ll be fine, and that’s doable as we seem to be improving as players are getting match fit. But it’s unrealistic to expect us to go on five game winning runs, and I don’t think he needs to do that to save his job. 
    Depends on what Sandgaard's expectations are really. Winning five on the spin is probably way too high a target to be realistic or fair but I think there will be expectations of targets being met to some degree. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:

If we continue to play as we did against Fleetwood we will finish mid table which is an improvement on where we are and obviously avoid relegation. 
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:

Not sure I agree entirely.  I think we have to expect that now due to the start we’ve had.  Then when we’re in a respectful state again then we can be reasonable.  Let’s not lower our standards due to the poor start, my expectations is still challenging for promotion no matter how daft that sounds right now.
  • edited October 2021
    JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:

Not sure I agree entirely.  I think we have to expect that now due to the start we’ve had.  Then when we’re in a respectful state again then we can be reasonable.  Let’s not lower our standards due to the poor start, my expectations is still challenging for promotion no matter how daft that sounds right now.
    Fair enough, but I’m just saying he won’t be sacked if we play well and get decent results from now on. Can’t see Sandgaard doing that. 
    I’m not lowering standards, as overall we should be at least fighting for the playoffs bearing mind size of club etc, but if we’re playing well and collecting a decent number of points I wouldn’t want him sacked, as that could make things worse. 
    Especially as I’m not sure the bad start is/was entirely down to him. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Scoham said:

I agree, I didn't mean we need to win every game or even go on a long unbeaten run. Regularly is probably a better choice of word.
  • Rothko said:
    Perhaps that tetchyness could be a good thing if channelled
  • I want all the points we can get under Adkins, but if it’s not enough then I for one won’t be fussed if he goes.
    Certainly not wishing for bad results to get rid.
  • Oggy Red said:
    Rothko said:
    Perhaps Jacko will be 'manager' again for tomorrow night's Pap game?

Adkins can sit high up in the stands like the rest of us. Then he'll see what we see.
    He can then see clearly how the game unfolds tactically.

Think the amount of times a game is watched by the management team he will see a lot more then supporters who only see what they want to see !!
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!