Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• Kips said:
    Seems sensible, I don't understand why more managers don't sit in the stands. Curbs used to do it of course but I can't think of many others that do these days. I'm sure they would see the game so differently. Steve Evans for one would benefit, financially if nothing else...
    There was a manager going way back (Frank Hill maybe), that could on occasions could be found high up on The East Terrace during games.
  • shirty5 said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    shirty5 said:
    25 players used plus 4 different Captains at the start of the League games. 

Clearly still working out his best side. Stick to the eleven that won at Fleetwood this Saturday. Stop changing it for the sake of changing it 
    I don't think bar the Wycombe game, coming off the awful performance the game before, he has changed it for the sake of changing it.   Most of the changes are due to players being rightfully dropped or that they are no where near match fitness.

We have fundamentally played the same formation, you can argue symantics, in all bar 2 games since he has been here.  I think he does know 8 or 9 of his first choice team he just hasn't been able to pick them consistently. 

I think he also knew 7 or 8 of his team for this season last April, but that's another matter. 
    No excuses this Saturday. Pick an unchanged eleven. 
    Wouldn't surprise me to see Morgan in for Arter and Taylor for Kirk
  • If it's true Sandguard gave Nigel a much reduced budget for pre-season, can't understand if he is a man of principle why didn't he resign straight away? Surely he has plenty of dough from his previous sackings!
    Would love for the true facts to come out.
    Very very big IF there and frankly I don't buy it. I suspect that the problem is more who/how the money got spent than the actual budget itself. Stockley, Kirk, McGillivray etc will not be on peanuts, there is/was clearly money there to spend. But somewhere in the process of the black box/committee/both we didn't use it effectively. 
  • We've used 25 players in League One this season, second most in the league after Ipswich (27). Adkins hasn't decided on his best team yet it seems. 

I agree that the stated aims before the summer, haven't really been met, due to the scatter gun transfer window, leaving us a bloated squad, full of quantity rather than quality, and academy players not getting a chance to break through. 

Are Dempsey, Vennings and Henry good enough to be part of the 1st team squad this season? We'll never know, as they can't even get into our starting Pizza Cup side
    We have two players per position plus a few extras - surely that’s good depth, something RD was heavily criticised for, rather than too many players?

If the youngsters are that good they won’t be ignored, Shelvey, Lookman, Gomez etc weren’t regardless of depth. What we won’t see are those who could be decent squad players who just need a chance, but with a young squad of new players that’s not really what we need anyway.
  • shirty5 said:
    25 players used plus 4 different Captains at the start of the League games. 

Clearly still working out his best side. Stick to the eleven that won at Fleetwood this Saturday. Stop changing it for the sake of changing it 
    For some of us, the thrill of rotating mediocrity is quite an exciting prospect.  The tingles I get going down to the Valley not knowing if it’s going to be Gunter or Matthews, which two players make up the 2 in our 4-2-3-1……

• Scoham said:
    We've used 25 players in League One this season, second most in the league after Ipswich (27). Adkins hasn't decided on his best team yet it seems. 

I agree that the stated aims before the summer, haven't really been met, due to the scatter gun transfer window, leaving us a bloated squad, full of quantity rather than quality, and academy players not getting a chance to break through. 

Are Dempsey, Vennings and Henry good enough to be part of the 1st team squad this season? We'll never know, as they can't even get into our starting Pizza Cup side
    We have two players per position plus a few extras - surely that’s good depth, something RD was heavily criticised for, rather than too many players?

If the youngsters are that good they won’t be ignored, Shelvey, Lookman, Gomez etc weren’t regardless of depth. What we won’t see are those who could be decent squad players who just need a chance, but with a young squad of new players that’s not really what we need anyway.
    There's no benefit though in having 2 samey players for each position, you'd much rather have 13/14 better players, with reserves, utility players and youngsters to cover.

You'd expect a decent core of fit players to play 40 odd games a season, not this constant swapping of players because they can only do 60 minutes or can't play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday.

Last season Peterborough had 7 players who featured in over 40 league games, plus 5 more in over 30. Their front 3 of Clarke-Harris, Dembele and Szmodics played together in the majority of their matches, scoring 56 goals between them
  • Scoham said:
    We've used 25 players in League One this season, second most in the league after Ipswich (27). Adkins hasn't decided on his best team yet it seems. 

There's no benefit though in having 2 samey players for each position, you'd much rather have 13/14 better players, with reserves, utility players and youngsters to cover.

You'd expect a decent core of fit players to play 40 odd games a season, not this constant swapping of players because they can only do 60 minutes or can't play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday.

Last season Peterborough had 7 players who featured in over 40 league games, plus 5 more in over 30. Their front 3 of Clarke-Harris, Dembele and Szmodics played together in the majority of their matches, scoring 56 goals between them
    In 18/19 we had 2 players who played more than 40 games in all competitions.  We only had 5 that started 30 league games.

Last season we had 3 players that played in more than 40 games and they have all left. Again only 5 that started 30 league games.

It's not a new problem and one that needs to change. 
  • Scoham said:

I'm discombobulated to know that.
    When players are winning which Posh were most of last season which saw them promoted, recovery rates and happiness seem to be fast and organic. Winning mentality kicks in. No one's wants to miss out on that winning feeling and success.

Charlton losing on a regular basis, players getting injured and taking so long to comeback, (don't mean JFC and his ACL) 

Panic sets in even if for an hour we have played well ( Bolton game for eg) team spirit and relationships between players will break down if they were forged in the first place.
    Is Fleetwood a turning point ? Has the tide turned ? 
    Everything Nigel Adkins wanted about getting players in early so they could have a pre season together didn't come to fruition.

Looking forward to study Nigel Adkins tonight. I can normally smell fear even if it's only on Zoom. Experienced manager who will desperately want to succeed. I want him to succeed at Cafc by winning football matches with committed players.

15 games should be a good time for Thomas Sandgaard to decide if Adkins is the right man for the rest of the season.

We can't go back to the shocking first half against Cheltenham if Nigel Adkins is going to take Cafc forward into this brave new world.

• It was nice last weekend and in general post Fleetwood to not sit here fuming and wishing a man loses his job.

But let’s be clear, he’s not out of anything yet, he’s gotta win Saturday and if he doesn’t it must be a good draw with a win followed up Tuesday.  
  • Goodbye Nigel my old friend
  • Sponsored links:

• edited October 2021
    No improvement whatsoever. We really need Adkins to walk, can't see Sandgaard pulling the trigger. If we continue like this, things will not magically turn around. Let's face it, we truly are looking at League Two as a real possibility.
  • What the fuck have they been working on for two weeks, pathetic effort. This is soul destroying.
  • He should have been sacked 2 mins after the Bolton game. He should have been sacked straight after full time today. He will still be manager on Tuesday 
  • edited October 2021
    Up till now I’ve just let TS get on with it,his money,his terms but this is our Club & he needs to start listening to what is going on around…get rid of Adkins please for our insanity & urs…it can’t get any worse with him gone surely
  • Seems like a nice bloke but clearly not working. If he's still here Tuesday then it's not going to be pretty.
  • I am sorry nice man Nige, but you simply can't get results in a results business.
  • Yes please 
  • He should have been sacked 2 mins after the Bolton game. He should have been sacked straight after full time today. He will still be manager on Tuesday 

He should never of been appointed in the first place imo.
  • Wasting time, we will never improve under him, just go.
  • Sponsored links:

• If that performance doesn't result in a sacking, Sandgaard needs his bumps felt! 
  • He won't get fucking sacked, the fact he was STILL HERE after Bolton says it all. 
  • I thought he was prepping his excuses at the Bromley event
  • Decision to bring CBT on at 30 mins was a strange decision. Nothing against CBT, but 20 minutes to go absolutely. Not in the first half FFS.
    This is the issue. We’ve wasted a ‘easy’ game against Fleetwood and 2 weeks of potential coaching time under a new team. Now whoever comes in we likely be starting against Sunderland away with a busy fixture schedule.
  • The only tweet I want to see from Sandgard is the one firing Adkins. 
  • I'd be amazed if he's still there Tuesday. If he is I'm not going to bother going 
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!