Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• edited October 2021
    15 games should be judgement day because players came late to the party. If Nigel Adkins only had 25% say on transfer targets then he should have 15 games and if we are still a basket case of a team then an amicable arrangement with Thomas Sandgaard takes place and Nigel Adkins gets his new jobs with the Hampshire Ramblers.

Anyone who then hasn't reset to our plight can then do so and we have 31 games to stay up and work our way up to mid table if possible.

Staying up is the target now because we have been sussed out by the rest of the league that we can only play for about 45 minutes despite most games now being over a duration of 100 minutes with added time.

My ambition for Charlton is we are no lower than League 1 in 22/23 starting in August and we have a younger and vibrant fit team which can take on the 46 game season and if players play well they are fit enough to play the next game.

Reset, everyone including Thomas Sandgaard as the pie in the sky is a fantasy at present, and stop showing the premier games on the screen at the valley before the game it depressing to realise our far away that is now.

We can't compete in the mediocre League 1, so let's just stop getting worse before the lofty ambitions kick in.

I think this is what Nigel expected or was promised tbh. 
  • As I said last week it’s an absolute nonsense that he hasn’t been sacked yet and even a win tomorrow is going to little to change my mind. My only thought is that maybe they are waiting for something to happen in the background, for example they said about 5 weeks before Bowyer left they had already ear marked Adkins. Wouldn’t surprise me if he when does finally go that someone else isn’t lined up to come straight in.
  • edited October 2021
    Cafc43v3r said:
    15 games should be judgement day because players came late to the party. If Nigel Adkins only had 25% say on transfer targets then he should have 15 games and if we are still a basket case of a team then an amicable arrangement with Thomas Sandgaard takes place and Nigel Adkins gets his new jobs with the Hampshire Ramblers.

Anyone who then hasn't reset to our plight can then do so and we have 31 games to stay up and work our way up to mid table if possible.

Staying up is the target now because we have been sussed out by the rest of the league that we can only play for about 45 minutes despite most games now being over a duration of 100 minutes with added time.

My ambition for Charlton is we are no lower than League 1 in 22/23 starting in August and we have a younger and vibrant fit team which can take on the 46 game season and if players play well they are fit enough to play the next game.

Reset, everyone including Thomas Sandgaard as the pie in the sky is a fantasy at present, and stop showing the premier games on the screen at the valley before the game it depressing to realise our far away that is now.

We can't compete in the mediocre League 1, so let's just stop getting worse before the lofty ambitions kick in.

I think this is what Nigle expected or was promised tbh. 

I agree, Nigel Adkins did say that was what he wanted.
    Yet he plays Watson every week who is ok on the ball but teams run pass him too easy now in the autumn of his career.  
    Play the fit lads Dobson and Clare if you want more energy. They may not be good enough for top 6 but will help to stop as being bottom 4 and should help in pushing us up the league.

A Reset is needed for this season at Cafc.

Back in the day both West Ham and Nottingham Forest were too good to go down from tho top division.

They both went down.

• On the subject of younger and fitter team.

IMO Watson only plays because Dobson is an absolute dud.  Dobson was given the no.4 jersey, they thought he’d be the man filing that role week in week out, they got it wrong.

• Cafc43v3r said:

I think this is what Nigle expected or was promised tbh. 

I agree, Nigel Adkins did say that was what he wanted.
    Yet he plays Watson every week who is ok on the ball but teams run pass him too easy now in the autumn of his career.  
    Play the fit lads Dobson and Clare if you want more energy. They may not be good enough for top 6 but will help to stop as being bottom 4 and should help in pushing us up the league.

A Reset is needed for this season at Cafc.

Back in the day both West Ham and Nottingham Forest were too good to go down from tho top division.

They both went down.

I said yesterday that Watson would almost certainly be dropped straight away by any in coming manager due to his obvious weaknesses.  Also I would wager that he would be back in the team by Christmas. Very worryingly we are even worse without him. 
  • Still believe that he can turn it around. He showed last year that if he can get on a roll, then he can keep that going. Look at Ipswich, they had a large player turnover, lost a lost of games early on, the manager was under huge pressure after Bolton beat them heavily at home, but now they have won twice and things seem to be looking up. Beat Fleetwood tomorrow and things will start to be looking better.
  • Scoham said:
    On the subject of younger and fitter team.

IMO Watson only plays because Dobson is an absolute dud.  Dobson was given the no.4 jersey, they thought he’d be the man filing that role week in week out, they got it wrong.

He might be, but 5 league starts isn’t enough to know. The team has been constantly rotated, played several formations, some of those games were in August when we didn’t have a full squad and players are still building up their fitness.

I’d say he has a better chance of doing well with a proper left back and players like Gilbey, Leko, Lee, even Davison in the team. Between them they’ve added more creativity, pace and energy to the team. When he first played he was in midfield alongside Morgan with Gunter at left back, Washington and DJ as our wingers and Stockley up front.
    It’s not many starts granted, but he doesn’t look like a midfielder for me, his touch is terrible, and he turns as slow as Watson does.  Wish the lad the best and hope to be wrong.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Dobson has a leggy, languid style that might look class against Crawley but struggle when faced with dynamic, combative opposition. He was signed to be Pratley With Passing but he doesn't have Pratley's appetite for destruction and his passing has been hit and miss 
  • edited October 2021
    Leuth said:
    Not a single player who would make their bench? Really? 
    Maybe MacGillivray and Famewo, but that’s about it. Take a look at the team that just beat Doncaster 6-0 - 5 out of 7 of their bench would probably start for us. 

Who’s our best player? Stockley? Lee? They’ve got Bonne, Pigott, Chaplin, Celina, Fraser, Aluko or  Norwood to pick from in those two positions.

You can’t compare our situation to theirs. They’re much better than us.

• Cafc43v3r said:
    The squad/team up to and including the Crewe game wasn't good enough.  Everyone, including the SMT now knows it.

Cheltenham was an absolute shambles.  Changed it for Wycombe which wasn't much better.  Changed it again for Gillingham and it was better.  He couldn't play the same team against Pompey because they aren't fit enough. The team he picked for the Bolton game, I think, was the best of the previous two games and I doubt it is far off what most people would think is our strongest team.  The visibly tiered after half an hour, by 70 minutes they were all knackered.

How can a professional football team be so unfit in October?    I think they tried, I think they lack collective bottle and a set of bollocks.  Will just sacking the manager change that? 

I think he should go because at the end of the day it's not acceptable and he is 100% accountable.  I don't think he is 100% responsible and for that he has my sympathy.  Life, and football, aren't always fair. 
    100% accountable but not 100% responsible is so well put. Great post
  • Leuth said:
    Not a single player who would make their bench? Really? 
    Maybe MacGillivray and Famewo, but that’s about it. Take a look at the team that just beat Doncaster 6-0 - 5 out of 7 of their bench would probably start for us. 

Who’s our best player? Stockley? Lee? They’ve got Bonne, Pigott, Chaplin, Celina, Fraser, Aluko or  Norwood to pick from in those two positions.

You can’t compare our situation to theirs. They’re much better than us.

If Stockley is one of our best players we are doomed 
  • Leuth said:
    Dobson has a leggy, languid style that might look class against Crawley but struggle when faced with dynamic, combative opposition. He was signed to be Pratley With Passing but he doesn't have Pratley's appetite for destruction and his passing has been hit and miss 
    He was signed to run like Pratley and pass like Watson.... Instead of Pratson the is looking like a Watley. 
  • edited October 2021
    Anyone but Adkins....... :)

• Ipswich’s squad is much better than ours, we probably haven’t got a single player who would get onto their bench. 

Apples and oranges.
    Certainly overall Ipswich have a stronger squad, although I don't think the difference is so very great, but the point is that both clubs have squads that are considerably better than average in League One. IMO, our problem is not that we don't have capable individual players, it is that those individuals have not been molded into a system and team that is playing with confidence.
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Another thing on Adkins. It bothers me how he says we are so unfit and how players are still in pre season effectively - if this is the case why did we with so much energy in the first half-hour/hour against Bolton? If you have fitness issues we need to conserve energy sit in and hit teams on the counter.. Not blow ourselves out by halftime. 

It might be boring to watch, might not even get all 3 points but I’m fairly certain we wouldn't be getting walloped 1-4 at home to a newly promoted side in league 1. 
    Not being arrogant and saying I've worked it all out.. but this is basic stuff.
    Not saying your wrong but what would the crowd of done, let alone the match thread, if we sat with 10 behind the ball as Bolton's back 4 and keeper passed it round amongst themselves for 45 minutes? 
    Aaagh
  • JamesSeed said:
    Still believe that he can turn it around. He showed last year that if he can get on a roll, then he can keep that going. Look at Ipswich, they had a large player turnover, lost a lost of games early on, the manager was under huge pressure after Bolton beat them heavily at home, but now they have won twice and things seem to be looking up. Beat Fleetwood tomorrow and things will start to be looking better.
    Ipswich’s squad is much better than ours, we probably haven’t got a single player who would get onto their bench. 

Apples and oranges.
    I’m always amazed how much in-depth knowledge of other clubs’ squads there is on CL. Whenever I see our opponents line-ups before matches I have to hold my hand up and say I’ve never heard of most of the players. So I’m the last to say ‘we have a top 6 squad’ like you hear so many say on CL. 
    I am pretty much the same. If we had signed some of those players at Ipswich we would have been accused of signing other teams cast offs and lacking ambition.
  • Sponsored links:

• Newport got rid of their manager and they’re not even struggling like we are.
  • Newport got rid of their manager and they’re not even struggling like we are.
    I thought he stepped down rather than being got rid of?
  • I think it will be quite farcical if we lose tomorrow and no action is taken.  
  • Clarky said:
    Newport got rid of their manager and they’re not even struggling like we are.
    I thought he stepped down rather than being got rid of?
    I saw it was mutual, which tends to mean sacked but not wanted to damage any reputations, perhaps I’m wrong here then.
  • It's a very rare occurance for a sacking in American sports to happen midseason. 

Usually they would let the season play out and then wield the axe in the post-season. 

Hopefully TS is being informed that this isn't really the case in the UK as relegation adds a much more serious consequence to a 'bad season'. 
  • the question should be.. WHY is he still here ?
  • I always thought Adkins was a slightly random appointment, as for all his decency, his glory days are a long time ago. Back in the spring, he wasn't one of the names linked with us until just before the appointment.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!