Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• I wonder what advice TS is receiving currently?
    And from whom?
  • I wonder what advice TS is receiving currently?
    And from whom?
    Sack Adkins.
    Those on Charlton life.
  • No reason to give Jacko and Euell the job for a defined time. They can do it for the time being while the club makes enquiries elsewhere, whether that means talking to unemployed managers or tapping up currently employed managers and coaches.
  • Big Sam would keep us up I’m sure 
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    The squad/team up to and including the Crewe game wasn't good enough.  Everyone, including the SMT now knows it.

Cheltenham was an absolute shambles.  Changed it for Wycombe which wasn't much better.  Changed it again for Gillingham and it was better.  He couldn't play the same team against Pompey because they aren't fit enough. The team he picked for the Bolton game, I think, was the best of the previous two games and I doubt it is far off what most people would think is our strongest team.  The visibly tiered after half an hour, by 70 minutes they were all knackered.

How can a professional football team be so unfit in October?    I think they tried, I think they lack collective bottle and a set of bollocks.  Will just sacking the manager change that? 

I think he should go because at the end of the day it's not acceptable and he is 100% accountable.  I don't think he is 100% responsible and for that he has my sympathy.  Life, and football, aren't always fair. 
    Pre-Bolton you was all for him staying.  I’m not giving it “I told you so’s” but assuming 1-4 at home was a step too far then?  
  • Addick_8 said:
    Haven't posted on this matter before but after Tuesdays debacle I cannot see where the improvement under the current manager will come from. Worse still I sit watching and wonder how on earth we ended up with a squad which is so poor. There is no dynamism in midfield or protection for the back four, we look vulnerable down the flanks and struggle to defend the penalty area. Ultimately Adkins will pay the price but I wonder what manager is going to get more from this lot? There are plenty of posts suggesting they are unfit, but it looks more like unmotivated. I have been going to The Valley for sixty years now and really cannot recall us being in the bottom three of the third division, this feels like the death of a thousand cuts. But for a short answer yes Adkins needs to go 
    There is, but he can't get a game atm and I don't know why. 
    I said it weeks ago, Dobson HAS to be playing. We don't have a single CM who can screen the defence as well as he can. Yes, he is limited in some of the things he does but while we are leaking goals left right and centre he has to be playing. 
    What worries me, even more, is NA can't see that. 
    Does he? He's been fairly disastrous by common consent so far. I also believe he may be one of those to have demonstrated a, shall we say, lacklustre attitude
  • "Nigel, was it a disastrous summer of recruitment, or are you coaching them badly?"
  • If you have a rotten apple in the bucket then the rot spreads to the other apples. 

The original rotten apple's contagious rotting led to the sad loss of a club hero. Adkins wasn't here then so it's not him.

I don't think we are getting anywhere near the potential of these players showing in our performances but I'm not sure that it's the manager's fault.

Who's / are the bad apple(s)? Are they even playing or coaching staff?
    Hopefully TS is investigating the bucket at depth.
    Even if he succeeds, it's going to need some lengthy cleaning.
  • Sponsored links:

• clb74 said:
    I wonder what advice TS is receiving currently?
    And from whom?
    Sack Adkins.
    Those on Charlton life.
    And the majority of Charlton supporters generally, not just on here
  • Cafc43v3r said:
    The squad/team up to and including the Crewe game wasn't good enough.  Everyone, including the SMT now knows it.

Cheltenham was an absolute shambles.  Changed it for Wycombe which wasn't much better.  Changed it again for Gillingham and it was better.  He couldn't play the same team against Pompey because they aren't fit enough. The team he picked for the Bolton game, I think, was the best of the previous two games and I doubt it is far off what most people would think is our strongest team.  The visibly tiered after half an hour, by 70 minutes they were all knackered.

How can a professional football team be so unfit in October?    I think they tried, I think they lack collective bottle and a set of bollocks.  Will just sacking the manager change that? 

I think he should go because at the end of the day it's not acceptable and he is 100% accountable.  I don't think he is 100% responsible and for that he has my sympathy.  Life, and football, aren't always fair. 
    Pre-Bolton you was all for him staying.  I’m not giving it “I told you so’s” but assuming 1-4 at home was a step too far then?  
    I don't think I would go as far as saying that.  I think my position is now better summed up as I think he has to go but I don't think him going will make much difference.

I genuinely don't think it's all his fault but it's a results business.  
  • clb74 said:
    And from whom?
    Sack Adkins.
    Those on Charlton life.
    I just hope the incoming manager is given a bit more than half a dozen games.
  • Addick_8 said:
    Haven't posted on this matter before but after Tuesdays debacle I cannot see where the improvement under the current manager will come from. Worse still I sit watching and wonder how on earth we ended up with a squad which is so poor. There is no dynamism in midfield or protection for the back four, we look vulnerable down the flanks and struggle to defend the penalty area. Ultimately Adkins will pay the price but I wonder what manager is going to get more from this lot? There are plenty of posts suggesting they are unfit, but it looks more like unmotivated. I have been going to The Valley for sixty years now and really cannot recall us being in the bottom three of the third division, this feels like the death of a thousand cuts. But for a short answer yes Adkins needs to go 
    I said it weeks ago, Dobson HAS to be playing. We don't have a single CM who can screen the defence as well as he can. Yes, he is limited in some of the things he does but while we are leaking goals left right and centre he has to be playing. 
    Agree 100% - Dobson has to come in for Watson - we will never amount to anything with Watson in the side, he's just too old and slow - a u say, its glaringly obvious and why we are so prone when play breaks down - i'm guessing he has put him in there to take the ball off the defence rather than keep hoofing it but Dobson can do that and protect, surely. If not, we shouldn't have signed him. We were blunt against Sheff Wed but we never looked like being cut wide open. We have the tools up the pitch now, just needs to put the base back together rather than reinvent everything each week. 
  • What makes it worse is i know there was a local lad (Gallen mentioned him in the gallen / roddy thing the other night) who moved from chelsea's academy to Leeds in the summer who we could have got on loan if we had acted quickly around March / April time last year - we were asked by the family to let Charlton know, which we did and nothing came from it - he was never contacted. Maybe Chelsea blocked it,? maybe his agent blocked it?  i don't know but he was and  is exactly what we need.  
  • DOUCHER said:
    What makes it worse is i know there was a local lad (Gallen mentioned him in the gallen / roddy thing the other night) who moved from chelsea's academy to Leeds in the summer who we could have got on loan if we had acted quickly around March / April time last year - we were asked by the family to let Charlton know, which we did and nothing came from it - he was never contacted. Maybe Chelsea blocked it,? maybe his agent blocked it?  i don't know but he was and  is exactly what we need.  
    Chelsea sold him to Leeds, so us being interested in a loan would have got nowhere
  • DOUCHER said:
    What makes it worse is i know there was a local lad (Gallen mentioned him in the gallen / roddy thing the other night) who moved from chelsea's academy to Leeds in the summer who we could have got on loan if we had acted quickly around March / April time last year - we were asked by the family to let Charlton know, which we did and nothing came from it - he was never contacted. Maybe Chelsea blocked it,? maybe his agent blocked it?  i don't know but he was and  is exactly what we need.  
    Chelsea sold him to Leeds, so us being interested in a loan would have got nowhere
    maybe they wouldn't have sold him - the player pushed for a move, not the other way round 
  • Sponsored links:

• bit late now anyway, he's made the switch, got motm in an EFL game earlier in the week and tipped to be with first team soon 
  • Addick_8 said:
    Leuth said:
    Addick_8 said:
    Does he? He's been fairly disastrous by common consent so far. I also believe he may be one of those to have demonstrated a, shall we say, lacklustre attitude
    He hasn't been disastrous. He has been playing with the players around him playing like utter shite. I've spent a good 7 years at semi-pro as a CDM and one of the main things you need to help you ball playing and playing on the turn is decent fullbacks. He has had to deal with Gunter left-back and Adams Matthews RB.. I don't think the kid had much of a chance.

He has had some bad games but nearly all of our squad has. He mainly struggles when he is put into a flat 2 with a 36-year-old Ben Watson. He hasn't set the world alight but to call him disastrous is harsh. The Wednesday home game shows he clearly has something. You don't also captain aside at 21 years old if you have a lacklustre attitude. 
    I'm not related to him by the way, I just think right now he needs to play. 

I totally agree on this and posted similar a couple of weeks back. I also played as a CDM semi-pro and 100% agree with your points, it's an unglamorous position to the untrained eye.

I think there have been flashes against Sheff W, Wycombe, Crawley that suggest he can play and AFC fans loved him.

Take a look at Watson's input to the 2nd and 3rd goals on Tuesday and see exactly why he has to go as a major contributor to his teams issues. I know what he's going through as I also got too old for the role at 34, had to drop levels and play centre back - Watson just needs to retire
  • I have seen something in Dobson from day one. Yes he has made errors but he was dropped to quickly IMO.
    I think there is definitely a player in Dobson. 

With Watson if we change manager now he will be dropped straight away but I would be willing to wager he was back as first choice by Christmas.

Says a lot about the others. 
  • Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Rothko said:
    Is it a poor squad though....or just a squad that's performing badly (for whatever reason)?

I know that it may be part of bigging themselves up - but I'm sure I have heard a number of managers (after inevitably beating us) - saying that we have a squad of players that they envy.
    Yep Cowley said as much last weekend, it's a good squad, with players who are underperforming or not in a structure that allows them to perform
    Was Cowley talking about our squad or his squad. Glass houses and all that but they have failed to win a game in nine!
    https://londonnewsonline.co.uk/i-wouldnt-like-to-be-nigel-picking-that-lot-portsmouth-boss-danny-cowley-burned-the-midnight-oil-with-charlton-prepwork/

“We played a Charlton team that carried threat in two different ways,” said Cowley. “We couldn’t pick their team. Wow, they have got some players – ain’t they? I wouldn’t like to be Nigel picking that lot…because there are so many of them."
    Load of tosh, Cowley trying to protect NA’s job and cover the fact Pompey failed to beat us.

Well if you believe this current squad “carries a threat” have difficulty “picking the team” and “Wow we have some players” Crack on.

Pep, Jose and Sir Alex could not get a run of wins out of this lot.

Not sure having a false number 9 and stringing 50 passes together in League 1 is possible by the standard of players we see.
    Other than Cafc most League one players are fitter than, 30 years ago in League 1.

The only team that emulated a Man city style of play in this division from start to finish was Brighton under Gus Poyet. Can't remember the score but we hardly had a kick  and loss by a few and were unable to close them down.
    Unusual back then to see teams pass out from the back in the 3rd tier.

• edited September 2021
    "Nigel, was it a disastrous summer of recruitment, or are you coaching them badly?"

Adkins believes it was the former not the latter !
  • clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    And from whom?
    Sack Adkins.
    Those on Charlton life.
    I just hope the incoming manager is given a bit more than half a dozen games.
    I hope an incoming manager will be able to organise a top 6 league 1 squad in terms of cost to more than 1 win on 10 and higher than 23rd position in the league
    And if we win 1 in 6 with the new manager we calling for him to go?
  • I have seen something in Dobson from day one. Yes he has made errors but he was dropped to quickly IMO.
    I completely disagree.  Maybe I’m being harsh on the lad and I hope he proves me wrong because he looks honest and hard working, but I think he’s the worst of the CMs we have, and that’s quite something.  His footwork is about as good as Jason Pearce’s, midfield is the one place you do not have a ropey touch.
  • I'm still surprised he's here.

Watching that you tube vid on Wednesday morning made my blood boil.

WTF!

You've just had your arse smacked and your on there saying it's a new day and the sun is shining... Well it ain't shining on any other bugger Nigel especially us fans that are forking out a lot of money to follow you and a team that plays less football than Chuks in a whole game. 

One win in ten is unacceptable but TS is looking to have no bottle.

I'd rather TS tell Nigel to stop his effing videos for a start snd get on with the job in hand.

Whilst I agree finding some other poor bloke to come in and work with what we have is difficult but I'd rather see Jacko have a chance. 

Make no mistake we are in serious trouble and need to act before it's lost. 

• The squad isn't good enough. Outside of Leko, I don't think there's anyone the top sides in the division would want, and it's no wonder that when he went off on Tuesday, it got worse.

Adkins will probably be gone soon, and I can't say it wouldn't be warranted. It's not a fun style of football to watch, and we're getting beat. The midfield, in particular, is horrid. Lee is upfront, so you have Watson+1 in the middle generally up against a more athletic midfield three more athletic and walking through us.

I would take one place above relegation at this point come June. That's how low my expectations are.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!