Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Adkins Out? - Match Thread

Comments

• edited September 2021
    Why do people keep positioning Adkins as Roddy’s mate?

Where’s the connection?

The only link I can see Is Les Reed who was at Southampton with NA and in a technical position with the FA while GR was with PL.

Please advise

I think there is an assumption by many that Roddy played a big part in the appointment of Adkins. Whether it is correct or not I don't know but it would be a surprise if Sandgaard appointed him off his own bat. Somebody must have advised him.  
    Who is Sangaards right hand man in the club ? 

Who phones him after every game ? 

Who is instrumental in the recruitment strategy ? 

It all points in one direction. 
    Roland?!
  • edited September 2021
    When I saw the team I thought it looked ok, but seeing as there was a fitness doubt over CBT, I was surprised Kirk wasn't on the bench. What we saw was CBT looked good at the start, we switched wide players which I think is a good thing to do in games and Leko was then murdering the left back. So CBT went on the left but this highlighted how one footed he is and our only option on that side was for him to find space and run onto balls, but we didn't find those balls.

I could understand why Adkins switched them again at half time, but ideally you put a left sided player on and keep Leko on the right where he was having a lot of joy. But we didn't have that option. We had Stockley so I felt Kirk would have been a better option than Washington. When Leko went off and CBT tired, our main threat had gone which allowed Bolton to get a good foothold into the game. It bothers me a bit that Adkins doesn't think like this as it is IMO basic. Does he put Washington on the bench because he thinks he deserves it? Does he not think tactically?
  • siblers said:
    So a young manager with player experience, a CAFC connection and proven at sorting out a squad near the bottom of this division? 

There is one out there…Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank.

I think I’m joking.

I actually think he is a good shout. 
    The one thing that would slightly make we wary, if that Hasselbaink has been really successful in both spells at Burton, but less so elsewhere, when he tried to "step up" before
    Also I think a lot of fans wouldn't be very patient with him if things weren't going well considering how shit he was with us as a player. There isn't much love for the guy
    That's an understatement. There's is nobody in football I loathe more. I would not go if he were manager. 
  • Dave Rudd said:
    Dave Rudd said:
    Phil said:
    The short term solution is easy but will never happen. Remove Adkins and Roddy. Replace them with JJ and Euell and Curbs. Get in a decent and proven CEO ( Varney would be ideal ). Use the time to either back the new management duo or seek an alternative.
    For those that feel JJ is too tied to Adkins and what's happened, I'd point to his ongoing 100% record as manager when it's left to him. 
    More than that, other than when Adkins had Covid, we haven't heard a peep out of JJ. We see little of him on the touchline either. Why is that?
    Can we seriously believe that this intelligent and passionate man agrees with Nigel's approach in recent weeks? I'm not having it.
    I think he's the man for the job especially if backed with Euell and Curbs as I suggest.
    Sadly, not even the Adkins going part may happen yet!
    Oh dear, what a mess!
    Who coaches the defence ? I don’t know for certain and perhaps I’m off beam but our defence is appalling at present. 
    But does JJ coach the defence to play with virtually no support from midfield like last night?  That formation we started with was fine when we were on the attack and pressing but as soon as Bolton got back into the game our midfield couldn't cope - the 2 wide players didn't track back, Lee stayed upfield which left Watson and Clare (neither of whom are natural CDM's) isolated and overrun and with only an attacking mid (Gilbey) and an unfit crock (Arter) on the bench.  I think we ended up with a 4-1-5 formation at the end - that's down to the manager.  Add to that the fact that we don't appear to have a decent right back on our books.  They may be Welsh internationals but both Matthews and Gunter have been caught out too many times not getting the basics of defending right.

This is exactly how I saw it.

We played with two wide players and a triangle in the centre of midfield ... Lee at the front and Watson and Clare as the base. 

Going forward, that's OK ... but when we lose possession, either the two wide players have track back to avoid the regular overload (not just last night, but in every game so far) that our full-backs experience ... or one of Watson and Clare have to move across to support Matthews or Purrington.

None of this happened, so we get done at full-back time and time again.

Either the midfield players have not been told what to do, or they are incapable of doing it.
    Watson or Clare moving across would leave a massive hole in the middle of the park

In reality Lee played more like a second striker than an advanced midfielder, as instinctively that's what he is. He's not great defensively either
    No.

You move as a unit.  So, if Watson has to move across to support the full-back, Clare also moves across to fill the gap that Watson has created.  Then the wide player moves back to fill the gap that Clare has created.

You have effectively brought one of your wide players back ... but in a much less critical and more controlled way.

But the players have to adopt this mindset or have it coached into them.

Neither seems to be happening.
    Surely though, if the overload is down your right, you want your right winger to be the one covering back, not to move 3 players out of position?

And the way we played, it's both wide players (plus) Lee all upfield, so if the opposition break, the winger on the other side of the pitch will be stranded upfield just as much as the one on this side

Correct.

But if the wide player doesn't track back, then the central midfield player has to come across etc etc.

We do neither.
  • I’m astonished that he’s still not been sacked. I’m now at a point where I’m worried we’ll steal a 1-0 win on Saturday which will buy him another 5-10 games. 

I don’t want us to lose, I just don’t want to delay the inevitable any longer. 
    The only stealing being done, will be a living by 11 Charlton players!
  • siblers said:
    So a young manager with player experience, a CAFC connection and proven at sorting out a squad near the bottom of this division? 

There is one out there…Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank.

I think I’m joking.

I actually think he is a good shout. 
    The one thing that would slightly make we wary, if that Hasselbaink has been really successful in both spells at Burton, but less so elsewhere, when he tried to "step up" before
    Also I think a lot of fans wouldn't be very patient with him if things weren't going well considering how shit he was with us as a player. There isn't much love for the guy
    That's an understatement. There's is nobody in football I loathe more. I would not go if he were manager. 
    Toss up between him and Pardew 
  • I’m astonished that he’s still not been sacked. I’m now at a point where I’m worried we’ll steal a 1-0 win on Saturday which will buy him another 5-10 games. 

I don’t want us to lose, I just don’t want to delay the inevitable any longer. 
    The only stealing being done, will be a living by 11 Charlton players!
    I think the players are getting off lightly as NA is taking most of the focus at the moment.
  • Sponsored links:

• IAgree said:
    Why do people keep positioning Adkins as Roddy’s mate?

Where’s the connection?

The only link I can see Is Les Reed who was at Southampton with NA and in a technical position with the FA while GR was with PL.

Please advise

I think there is an assumption by many that Roddy played a big part in the appointment of Adkins. Whether it is correct or not I don't know but it would be a surprise if Sandgaard appointed him off his own bat. Somebody must have advised him.  
    Who is Sangaards right hand man in the club ? 

Who phones him after every game ? 

Who is instrumental in the recruitment strategy ? 

It all points in one direction. 
    Roland?!
    I worried about that then I realised this situation is too shit even for him. 

I’ve said it before and I will say it again - my belief is (like lots of company CEOs) TS believed in himself to the point he was convinced he would make an instant impression here and the fans would worship him for it (the ballsy comments, refusing outside help etc). I think he was much more hands on than he really should have been (especially transfer window) and it’s now coming back to bite us. He has made a multitude of wrong decisions and appointments and the pre mentioned stubborn attitude to admit mistakes (or lack of budget to rectify them) could be fatal for our season and subsequent immediate future.
  • Cannot believe he’s still here. 
  • I'm getting worried that regardless of the result Adkins will be still here. 

If there was any willing to get rid, before Saturday would be the chance considering Rotherham is likely to be postponed afterwards.

Most other clubs would utilise that two week period and see that as an opportunity to make the change. 

I don't dislike Adkins as a person just don't like his management and I think any KPI over a 10 game period would deem for any manager to be sacked. If this slump had happened after 20-30 games it could be excused, but to be 2nd bottom after the first10 games and effectively with not many positives to take is very worrying. 

• I think Saturday is final chance saloon
  • I'm honestly surprised he's getting Saturday. As a few posters have pointed out , a caretaker Saturday and then using the international break to get the new manager in would have been the obvious move.

Just feels like delaying the inevitable. 
  • Sponsored links:

• If Saturday is his last game what does he do with the team after Tuesday.  I thought that was our best defence ffs.  His choices are Gunter, Pearce and Souare who didn’t start, probably our worst performing defenders this season, glad it’s not a decision I have to make.  Is he a gambling man?  Sling Deji in there as a last chance saloon?  

Then if he’s gonna blame the midfield for the defensive frailties, bring Dobson back in for Watson?  Arter maybe?  Why didn’t arter play for the under 23s in the week?  Perfect chance for match fitness or has he been written off already?  

I see no way out of it for him and haven’t done since the Wycombe game, 2/3 weeks ago we were fiercely debating the line up, now we’re not, that’s speaks volumes.
  • edited September 2021
    I think Saturday is final chance saloon
    Wasn't that said before the last game and the game before, how many one more chances does he get..we could really be propping up this shite league all on our own 5pm Saturday...
    Wasn't that said before the last game and the game before, how many one more chances does he get..we could really be propping up this shite league all on our own 5pm Saturday...
    Until Sandgaard grows a pair, Adkins will keep on getting another game, and then another…..
    The 2 week international break is a popular time to wield the axe, I imagine Wellens at Doncaster and Big Mick might be at risk too
  • NADs not TS’s only concern, looks like Zynex shares been on same downward trend as Charlton results.
    He should have been binned yesterday, its baffles me that's he's being given Fleetwood and possibly more than that. 
  • CAFCTrev said:
    I think Saturday is final chance saloon
    He should have been binned yesterday, its baffles me that's he's being given Fleetwood and possibly more than that. 
    He should have been, but wasn't. A bad performance on Saturday plus the international break would surely be the final curtains
  • Not for the first time, TS is dithering.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!