Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Perfect Full English

Comments

• bobmunro said:
    bobmunro said:
    Everything on that plate minus the tomatoe with a healthy serving of brown sauce 😋
    Nooooooo!

Brown or ketchup, the latter definitely the work of the Devil, have no place on a Full English. 
    I'm with you on the Pie n Mash debate mate.....but you've gone too far this time.
    Hear hear. Pie and mash is toilet and completely agree with Mr Munro on that one but come on. You got to have a bit of dippage sauce on your fry up other than bean juice.
    Dippage is provided by the eggs!
    Also the residual oil left by the mushrooms.

mushrooms should be cooked in butter
  • also this hatred towards baked beans is not necessary. Yes baked beans comes from native america and the English breakfast was enjoyed by the gently as far back as the 13th century but it wasn't until the industrial revolution that us commoners started to have it as part of our diet. making the baked bean very much part of the plate. we all have to move with the times. 
  • I like all of those things as long as the mushrooms and tom are freshly cooked and not from a tin and the sausage and bacon are decent quality. Prefer streaky bacon to back. 
  • edited August 2021
    It's never in a full English, but a bit of fried halloumi in there goes a long way
    Coco's cafe in Eltham do a Mediterranean breakfast (fry up) with halloumi and it is good.
  • Bacon, sausage, bubble, fried bread, mushrooms brown sauce. Black or white pudding as a bonus. Eggs not bothered but fried with broken yolk.
  • Bin the hash browns, no place on a full English and bin the toms but only because I hate them. Add some fried bread and I'm in greasy spoon heaven
  • Seeing as I dont like eggs, tomatoes, baked beans, and mushrooms. A full English for me is, 3 sausages, 3 bits of bacon and a hash brown.
  • Sponsored links:

• As former garage mechanic, a full english was a Saturday morning must.

2 Sausages, 2 Bacon, Mushrooms , Black Pudding, beans and bubble. 2 toast, finished with a milky coffee, at T Bones in Erith

• Much as I love a full English, I really do enjoy devilled kidneys or kippers for breakfast once in a while.
  • There's a guy in Norwich who is the fry up inspector and he goes around under cover reviewing cooked breakfasts. He has done most of Norwich and also lots of other parts of the country. Check out his website. The fry up inspector.
  • Few additional thoughts - most likely controversial:

1) Love a bit of crusty tiger bread on the side to mop up at the end. Has to be fresh so all the bean juice, egg and grease can be soaked up.

2) Fried slice needs to be cooked last so it soaks up all the flavour from the pan.

3) I prefer streaky bacon (with crispy fat) to back bacon when the fat is left chewy. Big no no for me.

4) Love a hash brown. In my travels to the US though (maybe where the streaky bacon has come from), the breakfast potatoes with onions and peppers are an utter game changer.
  • At Bromley Towers, my manservant always provides a Kedgeree,if i am feeling exotic, or devilled kidneys if traditional is the order of the day. They are the proper full English breakfasts. None of this modern rubbish you chaps are quoting!
    Kedgeree and devilled kidneys are both sublime. Great choices.
  • My besty, Jacob Rees-Mogg, often pops in for some. You must join us one day. 
  • At Bromley Towers, my manservant always provides a Kedgeree,if i am feeling exotic, or devilled kidneys if traditional is the order of the day. They are the proper full English breakfasts. None of this modern rubbish you chaps are quoting!
    Kedgeree and devilled kidneys are both sublime. Great choices.
    Kedgeree is wonderful 
  • Egg, Bacon, Sausauge, Black pudding, Fried slice, beans, Mushrooms, Bubble, Brown sauce and a big mug of tea.............

• This thread is making me crave a full English.  Of course ,not in itself unusual given the pictures but the issue is I lost my sense of taste earlier today so would be a bit pointless.  :(
  • Sponsored links:

• It's never in a full English, but a bit of fried halloumi in there goes a long way
    Coincidentally I just had jerk chicken with rice and peas, and had some fried halloumi on the side … it complemented the dish perfectly so maybe, to my surprise, it would work with a fried breakfast
  • Just had a plate of sausage egg bacon and mushrooms. No idea what put that idea into my head
  • Black pudding is overrated and most people who have it my age think they’re proper geezers. Tastes of nothing and adds little to the dish.
  • Love a full English though usually I have it for my tea rather than in the morning because I don’t usually feel in the mood for food early on. Obviously I have to veganise it so use Richmond’s meat free sausages, This Isn’t Bacon bacon (made from soya protein), tinned plum tomatoes, mushrooms cooked in vegan butter, tofu scramble for the eggy part of it and beans done in the consistency of those left to fester under a heat lamp in a service station for a few hours. Three slices of whole grain toast, one slice with Marmite on. All drizzled with a bit of HP. Bloomin’ lovely.
  • Fried egg, bacon, sausages, bubble, tomato's & toast, all done in the wonderful Valley Cafe. 
    Chuck in the occasional black pudding every other visit or so.
  • A strong mug of tea is an underrated part of any fry up.

I like a combination of English/Scottish/Irish:

Sausage, bacon, fried eggs, fried bread, black pudding, white pudding, haggis, mushrooms and beans.

All washed down with a good mug of tea. Perfect meal.

My favourite cooked breakfast I’ve ever had out also does bone marrow too.
  • Black pudding is overrated and most people who have it my age think they’re proper geezers. Tastes of nothing and adds little to the dish.

A thick slice of decent black pudding is lovely, I don’t normally bother with the piss thin overcooked rubbish you get in a cafe 
  • Can't see having black pudding makes you a geezer, you either like it or you don't. Agree, the thicker it's sliced the better.
  • 2 sausages, preferably thick, short and spiced
    2 bacon, crispy but unsmoked
    2 eggs, I like mine poached personally
    4 triangular pieces of toast dripping in salted butter
    2 rounds of black pudding
    2 flat mushrooms, covered in worcestershire sauce
    2 hash browns
    Baked beans (in a bowl on the side)

A whole pot of strong brewed English breakfast tea
  • Ffs hash browns !!! ..No 
    Mushrooms and tomatoes...  No 

Double sausage,triple bacon, fried egg,black pudding,fried slice(2 if you want) 

Bread and butter (white bread )

2 big mugs of tea 

Alternative 

Stewed kidneys on at least 2 slices of fried  bread with as much bread and butter as you want plus tea as above 

All of you this is the law,the 11th commandment any wrongdoers are sentenced to a life of special k and muesli