Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

The Perfect Full English

Comments

• The Full English we served at our Phuket guesthouse for many years was 2 bacon, 2 sausage, 2 eggs, beans and fried tomato with toast, coffea/tea and orange juice. Our cheaper American breakfast was more popular, streaky bacon, eggs, home fries. I managed to source some very good ingredients and many people commented on the quality.

I had one friend who was a regular visitor who insisted upon black pudding with the Full English. Died quite young. Any coincidence?
  • Hash browns and beans have no place on any breakfast plate of mine:

Fried sausage
    Fried bacon
    Fried eggs
    Fried black pudding
    Fried slice
    Fried mushrooms
    Fried tomatoes
    Bubble and squeak

Anyone that has chips with a breakfast needs to be shot between the eyes.
    100% no place for chips on a breakfast plate.

slightly after topic, I saw this on Instagram earlier…

The Last Kingdom GIFs  Tenor
  • The Full English we served at our Phuket guesthouse for many years was 2 bacon, 2 sausage, 2 eggs, beans and fried tomato with toast, coffea/tea and orange juice. Our cheaper American breakfast was more popular, streaky bacon, eggs, home fries. I managed to source some very good ingredients and many people commented on the quality.

I had one friend who was a regular visitor who insisted upon black pudding with the Full English. Died quite young. Any coincidence?
    More likely caught something terminal from a brass.
  • IdleHans said:
    Only 82% having sausage? (89% if you include the veggies)
    How can it be a 'full' English with no sausage?
    Got to be sausage, bacon, eggs (scrambled for preference, but fried is fine), beans, fried tomato, toast or fried slice, mushrooms if properly cooked, hash browns. Brown sauce, orange juice, massive mug of coffee, tea if hungover.
    Well 9% said chips so they can be removed for lack of common sense anyway.
  • We buy Braughing Sausages from Tesco. They may not be available elsewhere as they are a Hertfordshire sausage, but they are delicious. If you spot them, give them a go.
  • We buy Braughing Sausages from Tesco. They may not be available elsewhere as they are a Hertfordshire sausage, but they are delicious. If you spot them, give them a go.
    Only a 75% pork content? One step up from Richmonds  ;)
  • Bubble, double egg, double bacon .. that’s all you need, IMO. Although I am partial to a McDonald Hotels full English with melt in the mouth Black Pudding from McLeod and McLeod of Stornaway 
  • Hash browns have no place on a full English breakfast. 
    Agreed. I like hash browns, but they're American. What next, "biscuits and gravy"?

Bacon
    Sausages
    Eggs (I prefer scrambled)
    Black Pudding
    Mushrooms
    Grilled or fried tomato
    Beans (though not so bothered)
    Toast (to be healthy)
  • Sponsored links:

Hallelujah!

The Braughing is the King of the Sausage World. 

We live quite close to the village and discovered them some years ago.  The butcher (Doug White) has now moved to Newmarket, but all the local farm shops still stock Braughings.  Once you've tried them, there is no turning back.

We actually run an illicit trade with packs traversing the Herts borders on a regular basis.  In fact there is a consignment heading to my brother-in-law in Maidstone on Monday.

"You'll never take me alive, Copper!"
  • edited August 2021
    Not a fan of mushrooms so personally the breakfast is 

Bacon, fried eggs, Sausages, fried tomato, Beans, Black Pudding, Bubble and squeak with a fried slice or eggy bread or potato cakes on the side and a pot of tea. 

oh and the condiment has to be brown sauce, none of that tomato ketchup shite. 

• cafctom said:
    Love everything on there, but I’m the only person I know who can’t eat eggs in any form!
    I’m exactly the same.
  • 2 good quality peppery sausages 
    2 slices dry cured back bacon
    1 medium slice of black pudding, fried crispy outside but crucial internal moisture retained 
    2 fried or poached eggs, must be properly cooked, runny, never, ever hard or snotty yolks, I call that pinky I think yanks say over easy 
    1 fried slice OR buttered, toasted Tiger Bread 
    Mushrooms 
    Tinned plum tomatoes OR baked beans 

To accompany this delight I used to geezer it up and say a steaming hot mug of dark brown monkey tea. Nowadays it must be a decent tea not stewed or bag squeezed. A glorious Earl Grey or Twinings breakfast brewed in a pot or even a green tea. 

• Hash browns and beans have no place on any breakfast plate of mine:

Fried sausage
    Fried bacon
    Fried eggs
    Fried black pudding
    Fried slice
    Fried mushrooms
    Fried tomatoes
    Bubble and squeak

We may profoundly disagree on pie and mash but 100% agreement on this.

That said, if I leave anything on the plate when I’m finished it would be the tomato.
  • Croydon said:
    It's never in a full English, but a bit of fried halloumi in there goes a long way
    May as well swap the beans for smashed avocado too, you heathen 
    I know how it sounds, but it's amazing. It's greasy cheese with your greasy food but it doesn't melt. Get it to a good crunch and it's a game changer. Avocado is for psychopaths though, tastes like bad grass. I'll never understand that one
  • edited August 2021
    We buy Braughing Sausages from Tesco. They may not be available elsewhere as they are a Hertfordshire sausage, but they are delicious. If you spot them, give them a go.
    Richmonds have the same pork content as the value sausages that are not allowed to call themselves pork sausages (about 42% I believe). It is a massive marketing achievement selling value sausages and making people think they are something better.
  • Croydon said:
    It's never in a full English, but a bit of fried halloumi in there goes a long way
    May as well swap the beans for smashed avocado too, you heathen 
    I know how it sounds, but it's amazing. It's greasy cheese with your greasy food but it doesn't melt. Get it to a good crunch and it's a game changer. Avocado is for psychopaths though, tastes like bad grass. I'll never understand that one
    Love a bit of halloumi but it's got no place on a breakfast, sorry.
  • Good quality sausages with very high meat content and proper seasoning are a fine thing indeed, but there is also a place for the bland pink rusk based tubes of dubious origin in a cheap greasy spoon cooked breakfast
  • Away weekends always started at 10.00am at a Little Chef somewhere in the Country and an Olympic Breakfast with bacon well done.

Set you up for the day and the pub B&B about noonish. We did them for years and were a pre match ritual for several of us.

I miss those Little Chefs.
  • Sponsored links:

• Not had the full breakfast for many years but was on offer at a London hotel I stayed at recently.  

Went for fried eggs, bacon, toast and marmalade, and green tea ... far cry from what I used to have but it was wonderful... must admit I was very tempted by the black pudding.  
  • The missus often gets 82% sausage in the mornings. 
  • edited August 2021
    I'm trying to cut down on the pork I eat, but this thread has made me hungry. Been ages since I had one of these :(

For me, bacon, fried egg, beans, toast, mushrooms, sausages, tomatoes in that order. Most sausages I find are a disappointment (the ones in Youth Hostels when we stayed there when the kids were younger were terrible).  Happy to have black pudding.  Other options of egg are acceptable once in a while. Fried potatoes are better than hash browns, though neither are essential in a Full English. 

(edited to add) When I was a kid, it would have included fried slice and spam fritters. I've had neither in donkeys years and don't miss them.
  • IdleHans said:
    Good quality sausages with very high meat content and proper seasoning are a fine thing indeed, but there is also a place for the bland pink rusk based tubes of dubious origin in a cheap greasy spoon cooked breakfast
    the one i never understood is a hot dog which is usually a bland wiener or a frankfurter in a bun with american tasteless mustard squirted all over it. 
  • bobmunro said:
    Hash browns and beans have no place on any breakfast plate of mine:

Fried sausage
    Fried bacon
    Fried eggs
    Fried black pudding
    Fried slice
    Fried mushrooms
    Fried tomatoes
    Bubble and squeak

We may profoundly disagree on pie and mash but 100% agreement on this.

That said, if I leave anything on the plate when I’m finished it would be the tomato.
    Don’t the Stokies put melted cheese on their plates with a fry up? 
  • Black pudding CAN be delicious, but so often its like fag ash mixed with lard. It's a lottery.
  • I used to pass through Geneva airport a lot and one of the restaurants there served  "Full English Breakfast" with a portion of salad on the side of the plate!
  • bye bye hash browns, hello chips
    One must never compromise on the majesty of a sausage.

Only these for me https://www.clewlows.co.uk/sausage-varietys/