Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

State of 'fans' during International tournaments

Comments

• Options
    English people, SOME English people, have been getting drunk and acting up for hundreds of years.  We're famous for it.

Wellington called his army the "scum of the earth".  European mothers threatened their misbehaving children that they would fetch an English soldier to sort them out if they didn't behave so bad was the behaviour of some of that "thin red line of heroes".

SOME English people get drunk and act up every weekend in towns and cities up and down the country.

And there are even people in other countries who aren't English who get pissed and act up.

Football just gives them a focus for their getting pissed and acting up and means the cameras are there.

It's nothing to do with discipline in schools, bringing back the birch, PC/Woke, the decline of empire, Brexit, Covid19, video games or any other popular excuse.

Hooligans (the original 1890s ones), razor gangs, teddy boys, mods and rockers, skinheads, bootboys, casuals, there is a long list of delinquent youth groups who's problems were caused by too much cinema or TV or stopping conscription or the cane or whatever the supposed demons were then.

There's just a minority, and it is a minority, of people who like getting pissed and acting up.  Is there a problem with the way the English (and the British) view and deal with alcohol?  Yes, there is IMHO but it's nothing to do with football or some national decline in standards. We've been piss head idiots (some of us) for centuries. 
    The major difference now is that everyone knows about anything of note within minutes. Only 25 years ago fans breaking in would have been a footnote on the news, possibly with an eyewitness report - that we get to see it from 101 different angles means it becomes a bigger story.

That said, I do think a dose of national service and a quick birching would help restore a bit of decorum to the place. 
    National service! No thanks, mate. I served for 28 years and I wouldn't want any single one of these Stella shandy drinking cretins anywhere near me in times when you need to rely on your colleagues. Mind you, they wouldn't last half a tomato season anyway, in all honesty. Be way too tough for them; fact. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    "Greater Manchester police are investigating after racist tweets were allegedly posted by an estate agent staff member, following England's Euro 2020 final loss.

Savills, began its own investigation after the posts were made just after 11pm on Sunday 11 July. It has now suspended the member of staff whose account suggested they worked in the Manchester area, pending the company's findings.

Savills said it had "zero tolerance to any form of racism and racial discrimination and is appalled by the racist comments in these tweets."

It has now referred the matter to Greater Manchester Police after the staff member claimed his Twitter profile had been taken over by a third party.

The tweets referred to three England players and another to domestic violence in the wake of the team losing."

"Rashford's mural in Withington has been defaced less than an hour after the final whistle too. 

Police say they are now treating the graffiti as a racist incident - slammed it as "disgraceful behaviour", adding it will "absolutely not be tolerated"."

Really don’t understand what is racist about writing ‘shite’ on the mural, unless I have missed something else that has been written?
    I saw a penis on the mural and someone had drawn f*** Sancho. It's a pathetic piece of vandalism but if the old bill class that as a racist incident they should be made to explain their reasoning.
  • Options

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    "Greater Manchester police are investigating after racist tweets were allegedly posted by an estate agent staff member, following England's Euro 2020 final loss.

Savills, began its own investigation after the posts were made just after 11pm on Sunday 11 July. It has now suspended the member of staff whose account suggested they worked in the Manchester area, pending the company's findings.

Savills said it had "zero tolerance to any form of racism and racial discrimination and is appalled by the racist comments in these tweets."

It has now referred the matter to Greater Manchester Police after the staff member claimed his Twitter profile had been taken over by a third party.

The tweets referred to three England players and another to domestic violence in the wake of the team losing."

"Rashford's mural in Withington has been defaced less than an hour after the final whistle too. 

Police say they are now treating the graffiti as a racist incident - slammed it as "disgraceful behaviour", adding it will "absolutely not be tolerated"."

Really don’t understand what is racist about writing ‘shite’ on the mural, unless I have missed something else that has been written?
    I saw a penis on the mural and someone had drawn f*** Sancho. It's a pathetic piece of vandalism but if the old bill class that as a racist incident they should be made to explain their reasoning.
    Well if it can't be proved as racist it won't go to court - I wouldn't worry too much. There's plenty of racist stuff out there....
  • Options

Have I got this right Baldy.
    Them fans in the top picture dressed up as kkk later on in the night,?
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    ct_addick said:
    In the USA it's illegal to drink in public...... out in the open while walking around streets and really only allowed in pubs restaurants and bars....That might be something to consider....and yes I know the USA has ridiculous gun laws 
    Not on the Las Vegas strip! 
    Or on golf courses, tailgates etc
  • Options
    clb74 said:

Have I got this right Baldy.
    Them fans in the top picture dressed up as kkk later on in the night,?
    Er, probably not, but you never know.
  • Options

Why is posting something like that fair game but if you made similar broad brush statements about any other group people would have a fit. I really don't get the double standards.
    It's a meme? that's doing the rounds. I don't think it should be taken too seriously.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    He’s right though, joke or not, if there was a similar meme about say a group of black fans at a music gig in the day and then stealing from a shop at night, it would be equally ridiculous but would probably cause many to combust. You just would not see it, or any such implication,  joking or otherwise on this site.

As Santa says, huge double standards generally, not aimed the original poster specifically.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited July 2021

Why is posting something like that fair game but if you made similar broad brush statements about any other group people would have a fit. I really don't get the double standards.
    It's a meme? that's doing the rounds. I don't think it should be taken too seriously.

Fair enough. I'm really (edit - not) digging you out and I'm not offended (I've got a ducks back attitude to most things) but it's notable that those who get upset by this sort of thing are very selective with their outrage.
  • Options

Fair enough. I'm really digging you out and I'm not offended (I've got a ducks back attitude to most things) but it's notable that those who get upset by this sort of thing are very selective with their outrage.
    Well i hope no one is offended, it wasn't meant to offend. It is the ridiculousness of it that made me laugh.

It was sent to me by a Glaswegian mate who has been sending me anti English stuff all tournament, most of which i couldn't put on here.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Because it shows that before the game they were supporting the players.

But then immediately following the game Rashford, Sterling, Sancho and Saka's Instagram and twitter were filled with monkey emoji, bananas and the n-word. 

Do you really think the fans sending racial abuse to those players are black? 
  • Options

Because it shows that before the game they were supporting the players before the game. 

But then immediately following the game Rashford, Sterling, Sancho and Saka's Instagram and twitter were filled with monkey emoji, bananas and the n-word. 

I certainly know they aren’t proper England fans.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

How thick are these people
    On a side note, a reactionary thing to say to this (and I have already seen it said by a few people that I consider... Intellectually troubled) is "they should lose their job" as some sort of punishment, but then what? Do we then pay for them on the dole for the rest of their lives as they now must not be employed? 

I really struggle with things like that. They need punishing, but what is the appropriate punishment? Obviously any legal routes must be taken, but then what? Make them unemployed for the rest of their life? Make their family disown them?
    My guess is that those caught trying to get into Wembley without tickets will probably be fined and banned from attending Wembley and perhaps club games. My view for what it's worth is that we need to be much more severe on these thugs. A few months in jail might make them think more seriously in future.
  • Options
    philcafc said:
    Huskaris said:

On a side note, a reactionary thing to say to this (and I have already seen it said by a few people that I consider... Intellectually troubled) is "they should lose their job" as some sort of punishment, but then what? Do we then pay for them on the dole for the rest of their lives as they now must not be employed? 

I really struggle with things like that. They need punishing, but what is the appropriate punishment? Obviously any legal routes must be taken, but then what? Make them unemployed for the rest of their life? Make their family disown them?
    My guess is that those caught trying to get into Wembley without tickets will probably be fined and banned from attending Wembley and perhaps club games. My view for what it's worth is that we need to be much more severe on these thugs. A few months in jail might make them think more seriously in future.
    & don’t just give them an FBO, totally a toothless tiger imho.
  • Options
    Close relative of mine bunked in, he is 19, a lovely hardworking lad, he exhausted every avenue to buy a ticket with a budget of £500 - when I got the news he was in - I was delighted for him.
  • Options

Because it shows that before the game they were supporting the players.

Not quite an accurate interpretation of the truth though is it. Before the game there were 30 odd million people tuning in supporting the players. After the game a few scumbags took their anger out on our black players. Of course it's not acceptable, it's absolutely disgusting but I'm sick of reading about how England fans are all violent scumbags. It's a very small minority who have unfortunately ruined it for the majority who are just genuinely gutted without feeling the need to attack anyone. 
    I agree with you. 

The problem comes that usually the racism in this country is swept under a rug time and time again until the next major event. The problem is never dealt with and then people can't understand why footballers still feel the need to take the knee. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

All just 'banter' I'm sure. 
  • Options
    bobmunro said:
    Huskaris said:

Losing their job is not designed to be a punishment - it is a response to potentially bringing their employer into disrepute, and more fundamentally sending a strong message to the company's BAME employees that there is zero tolerance for racism, or discrimination for any protected characteristic. How do you think their other employees would feel if the hatred was not removed?
    Its plain and simple gross misconduct 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    bobmunro said:
    Rothko said:
    bobmunro said:
    Huskaris said:

Losing their job is not designed to be a punishment - it is a response to potentially bringing their employer into disrepute, and more fundamentally sending a strong message to the company's BAME employees that there is zero tolerance for racism, or discrimination for any protected characteristic. How do you think their other employees would feel if the hatred was not removed?
    Its plain and simple gross misconduct 

It sure as hell is, and the charge would be 'bringing the company into disrepute and fundamentally breaching the Company's Bullying and Harassment Policies'. - and there is not a Tribunal in the land that would consider the dismissal to be unfair.
    Bob how would Stoke City have dealt with the Kiko Casilla incident if he had been a Stoke player.?
  • Options

Good to see the account no longer exists.
  • Options
    Scoham said:

Good to see the account no longer exists.
    Hopefully his next live show in Worcester is a flop!!
  • Options
    edited July 2021