Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

State of 'fans' during International tournaments

Comments

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Gave a mate of mine a ticket who’s a city fan from Manchester. Told me he knew of loads of Manchester lads coming down to jib in
    I suppose a big issue was capacity restrictions meant there would be a fair number of empty seats. I do wonder how much safer it was having a 70k capacity over the usual 90k. Everybody seemed pretty close to each other as it was.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    J BLOCK said:
    Gave a mate of mine a ticket who’s a city fan from Manchester. Told me he knew of loads of Manchester lads coming down to jib in
    What does ‘jib in’ mean?
     Bunk in, no ticket.
  • Options
    Thing I can’t get my head around is, if this was planned (jib in), why wasn’t it part of the policing plan/operation?

If there was ever any hint of fans forcing their way in at any game I organised the policing for there was always a pre planned way of dealing with it. I can’t believe they didn’t have intelligence to suggest it was a possibility.

Theres a lot of stuff that doesn’t add up here.

And don’t get me started about which eejit allowed heras fencing as a deterrent, Christ!
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Inter-city jibbers - ‘famous’ Man U firm from yesteryear but the practice remains. I think the motto is ‘to pay is to fail’

A lot harder in these days of technology, modern grounds and cctv. Train fares the other obvious one. If all r oh se fails, then use brute force clearly.

With the amount of camera footage and cctv I would expect many could be caught.
  • Options
    Looking at some of the videos, i just don't understand the joy of fans creating a circle and lobbing bottles cans and cones at each other?! At Wembley way or Piccadilly circus. And this was before the game. 

Am i missing something?
  • Options
    2121 said:
    Looking at some of the videos, i just don't understand the joy of fans creating a circle and lobbing bottles cans and cones at each other?! At Wembley way or Piccadilly circus. And this was before the game. 

Am i missing something?
    Yes.
  • Options
    Having seen a few live games in Italy, I can say I have seen some violent scenes there although it was some years ago.
  • Options
    Kevin Nolan wrote an article years ago in Voice of Valley detailing how he used to bunk into different grounds around the country (long before he became a writer) 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    J BLOCK said:
    What does ‘jib in’ mean?
    bunk in as well would have said in the old days.

Gain entry without paying or having a ticket, often by force.

Or as I call it blagging : - )
    Interesting etymology I think. To me, blagging in means being a bit clever, saying you are a journalist on a deadline or carrying a phone cable you have picked up and saying it is for Gary Lineker's microphone and you have to get in now or it will be Countryfile on BBC1. Whereas the tossers last night are just steaming in or forcing someone to get them in on 'their' turn on the gate. Bunking in is climbing over a wall or getting a mate to let you in the fire exit. 

Hope that helps. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    What does ‘jib in’ mean?

Interesting etymology I think. To me, blagging in means being a bit clever, saying you are a journalist on a deadline or carrying a phone cable you have picked up and saying it is for Gary Lineker's microphone and you have to get in now or it will be Countryfile on BBC1. Whereas the tossers last night are just steaming in or forcing someone to get them in on 'their' turn on the gate. Bunking in is climbing over a wall or getting a mate to let you in the fire exit. 

Hope that helps. 
    Using violence and threats to get in as you say is just the work of tossers
  • Options
    Ben Foster took his son to the game and has posted a vlog of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwNJruGaIo8

Pretty clear he was a bit worried for his boys safety walking in.

Games like this should be so enjoyable. As a football fan I should have been desperate to go yesterday and it's pretty sad that I had no interest because certain people were always bound to make it a shit experience
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    As the media are so London centric, you do not hear these things but apparently it is common at every United game they play. Spoke to a bloke on the tube who was a united fan who jibed and apparently it's common practice. Happens at every cup final match at Wembley when Liverpool, city, united play but does not get the attention as not England. Easily 80k full yesterday. 
    But how can you bunk (as I call it) into a game in an all seater stadium that sells out? Chances are anywhere you try to sit someone will turn up and say its theirs? 

I get it can work when there's terracing.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    What does ‘jib in’ mean?

Hope that helps. 
    Exactly this. Last night was mob handed
    and aggressive. Could see people getting crushed. Not good. 
  • Options
    Inter-city jibbers - ‘famous’ Man U firm from yesteryear but the practice remains. I think the motto is ‘to pay is to fail’

A lot harder in these days of technology, modern grounds and cctv. Train fares the other obvious one. If all r oh se fails, then use brute force clearly.

With the amount of camera footage and cctv I would expect many could be caught.
    Seeing them slapped all over Wembley is quite comical also, and then cowering when a few have a go at them, a little kid must of been about 5 was petrified - still maintain my stance behave like a cnut and get a dig I have 0 issue with. 
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    What does ‘jib in’ mean?

Hope that helps. 
    I agree.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Same united fans that crush the charlton stewards then
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Henry's post is bang on. This country has an unhealthy relationship with alcohol.
    Absolutely, so why isn’t something being done about it?

What are your thoughts on what should be done? Alcohol is a legal depressant. It is enjoyed responsibly by 99% of people that consume it. So it will never be prohibited. You could make it more expensive through taxation, but that would penalise the law abiding majority who enjoy it (and it has limited impact on those who its intended to affect, those with a dependency). You could educate about the impact of alcohol - that's pretty much an ongoing thing.

The reality is, in England and around the world, people get drunk and act stupidly. It was ever thus. The answer is ultimately in personal responsibility and a consideration of others unless you want o live in a police state or have a para military police force that goes in first and asks questions later. 
    No one is asking for it to be banned. You say people round the world do it, but what city centres have you been to abroad that need to be policed like ours every weekend? Only other places that come close, are the tourist destinations we ruin every summer. 
    I didn't realise our cities were policed every weekend because of people misbehaving through drink.
    You’ve never noticed that the police spend most of their weekends arresting drunks?
    No. He's too pissed to notice. :-)
    Silly comment from somebody who does not know me.
  • Options
    "Greater Manchester police are investigating after racist tweets were allegedly posted by an estate agent staff member, following England's Euro 2020 final loss.

Savills, began its own investigation after the posts were made just after 11pm on Sunday 11 July. It has now suspended the member of staff whose account suggested they worked in the Manchester area, pending the company's findings.

Savills said it had "zero tolerance to any form of racism and racial discrimination and is appalled by the racist comments in these tweets."

It has now referred the matter to Greater Manchester Police after the staff member claimed his Twitter profile had been taken over by a third party.

The tweets referred to three England players and another to domestic violence in the wake of the team losing."

"Rashford's mural in Withington has been defaced less than an hour after the final whistle too. 

Police say they are now treating the graffiti as a racist incident - slammed it as "disgraceful behaviour", adding it will "absolutely not be tolerated"."

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Henry's post is bang on. This country has an unhealthy relationship with alcohol.

What are your thoughts on what should be done? Alcohol is a legal depressant. It is enjoyed responsibly by 99% of people that consume it. So it will never be prohibited. You could make it more expensive through taxation, but that would penalise the law abiding majority who enjoy it (and it has limited impact on those who its intended to affect, those with a dependency). You could educate about the impact of alcohol - that's pretty much an ongoing thing.

The reality is, in England and around the world, people get drunk and act stupidly. It was ever thus. The answer is ultimately in personal responsibility and a consideration of others unless you want o live in a police state or have a para military police force that goes in first and asks questions later. 
    No one is asking for it to be banned. You say people round the world do it, but what city centres have you been to abroad that need to be policed like ours every weekend? Only other places that come close, are the tourist destinations we ruin every summer. 
    I didn't realise our cities were policed every weekend because of people misbehaving through drink.
    You’ve never noticed that the police spend most of their weekends arresting drunks?
    That does not happen.  I do not see the police in Bromley roaming the streets and waiting outside pubs to close at 11pm.
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

You might need to travel a bit more....
    Seriously though, where else has the same shenanigans as you get in UK city centres at the weekend?
    I edited my original answer as thought it was a bit condescending....

Wherever I have seen large groups of young people that have had a beer. New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Turin, Lisbon, Paris, Moscow, St Petersburg, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Munich, Berlin etc. etc (plus of course Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cardif, Dublin etc etc). Admittedly different atmospheres in each, with different policing approaches, but lets not think that in every major city around the world the police put their feet up on a Friday night because everyone is enjoying a cafe culture and quietly and peacefully making their way home. Alcohol doesn't just affect English people...
    I’ve been to Amsterdam on a weekend when Ajax won the championship. The fans went on a riot in the city centre and the old bill had more water cannon than Boris could shake a stick at. One of the most surreal things I have ever seen was a water cannon going over one of the bridges and smoke bombs going off as you try and find shelter. Can’t imagine the sort of carnage that would have entailed a victory last night.
  • Options
    "Greater Manchester police are investigating after racist tweets were allegedly posted by an estate agent staff member, following England's Euro 2020 final loss.

Savills, began its own investigation after the posts were made just after 11pm on Sunday 11 July. It has now suspended the member of staff whose account suggested they worked in the Manchester area, pending the company's findings.

Savills said it had "zero tolerance to any form of racism and racial discrimination and is appalled by the racist comments in these tweets."

It has now referred the matter to Greater Manchester Police after the staff member claimed his Twitter profile had been taken over by a third party.

The tweets referred to three England players and another to domestic violence in the wake of the team losing."

"Rashford's mural in Withington has been defaced less than an hour after the final whistle too. 

Police say they are now treating the graffiti as a racist incident - slammed it as "disgraceful behaviour", adding it will "absolutely not be tolerated"."

How thick are these people
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    What does ‘jib in’ mean?
    I’m glad I’m not the only one.
    Genuinely never heard this expression before.
    It used to be ‘bunking in’ in my day (not that I ever did it you understand).
    Well, not when you were in uniform....:-)
  • Options
    1StevieG said:
    se9addick said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

You might need to travel a bit more....
    Seriously though, where else has the same shenanigans as you get in UK city centres at the weekend?
    I edited my original answer as thought it was a bit condescending....

Wherever I have seen large groups of young people that have had a beer. New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Turin, Lisbon, Paris, Moscow, St Petersburg, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Munich, Berlin etc. etc (plus of course Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cardif, Dublin etc etc). Admittedly different atmospheres in each, with different policing approaches, but lets not think that in every major city around the world the police put their feet up on a Friday night because everyone is enjoying a cafe culture and quietly and peacefully making their way home. Alcohol doesn't just affect English people...
    I’ve been to Amsterdam on a weekend when Ajax won the championship. The fans went on a riot in the city centre and the old bill had more water cannon than Boris could shake a stick at. One of the most surreal things I have ever seen was a water cannon going over one of the bridges and smoke bombs going off as you try and find shelter. Can’t imagine the sort of carnage that would have entailed a victory last night.
    They were probably West Ham.
  • Options

Really don’t understand what is racist about writing ‘shite’ on the mural, unless I have missed something else that has been written?
  • Options

How thick are these people
    On a side note, a reactionary thing to say to this (and I have already seen it said by a few people that I consider... Intellectually troubled) is "they should lose their job" as some sort of punishment, but then what? Do we then pay for them on the dole for the rest of their lives as they now must not be employed? 

I really struggle with things like that. They need punishing, but what is the appropriate punishment? Obviously any legal routes must be taken, but then what? Make them unemployed for the rest of their life? Make their family disown them?