Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

State of 'fans' during International tournaments

Comments

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Henry's post is bang on. This country has an unhealthy relationship with alcohol.
    Absolutely, so why isn’t something being done about it?

What are your thoughts on what should be done? Alcohol is a legal depressant. It is enjoyed responsibly by 99% of people that consume it. So it will never be prohibited. You could make it more expensive through taxation, but that would penalise the law abiding majority who enjoy it (and it has limited impact on those who its intended to affect, those with a dependency). You could educate about the impact of alcohol - that's pretty much an ongoing thing.

The reality is, in England and around the world, people get drunk and act stupidly. It was ever thus. The answer is ultimately in personal responsibility and a consideration of others unless you want o live in a police state or have a para military police force that goes in first and asks questions later. 
    No one is asking for it to be banned. You say people round the world do it, but what city centres have you been to abroad that need to be policed like ours every weekend? Only other places that come close, are the tourist destinations we ruin every summer. 
    I didn't realise our cities were policed every weekend because of people misbehaving through drink.
    You’ve never noticed that the police spend most of their weekends arresting drunks?
  • Options
    1905 said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Croydon said:
    Henry's post is bang on. This country has an unhealthy relationship with alcohol.
    it isnt just booze though is it?  no doubt a large number were coked up to the eyeballs too.

Might as well legalise coke now and tax it.   The country is awash with the stuff and I can only presume that most of customs enforcement are on the payroll.   Whole sections of society are bang on it and most others turning a blind eye to it.  The food in my pub last night must have been rank given the queue for the cubicle prior to kick off and at half time.  Controversial I know - but the current model isnt working.  
    100% this.
    There are adults holding down responsible jobs with kids doing it openly in our village.
    As for cannabis, the Guards are fighting a losing battle here.

It isn’t just alcohol.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

What are your thoughts on what should be done? Alcohol is a legal depressant. It is enjoyed responsibly by 99% of people that consume it. So it will never be prohibited. You could make it more expensive through taxation, but that would penalise the law abiding majority who enjoy it (and it has limited impact on those who its intended to affect, those with a dependency). You could educate about the impact of alcohol - that's pretty much an ongoing thing.

The reality is, in England and around the world, people get drunk and act stupidly. It was ever thus. The answer is ultimately in personal responsibility and a consideration of others unless you want o live in a police state or have a para military police force that goes in first and asks questions later. 
    No one is asking for it to be banned. You say people round the world do it, but what city centres have you been to abroad that need to be policed like ours every weekend? Only other places that come close, are the tourist destinations we ruin every summer. 
    I didn't realise our cities were policed every weekend because of people misbehaving through drink.
    You’ve never noticed that the police spend most of their weekends arresting drunks?
    Pretty certain the police aren't arresting drunks. They might be arresting people that have committed an arrestable offence whilst drunk, but they don't usually arrest people for being drunk (though technically they could, they don't as otherwise they might be overwhelmed). It's a pedantic point, but a point worth making. 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

I've experienced plenty, admittedly mostly in Northern Europe but parts of Southern Europe and the US as well (edit -and not cities that are on the British tourist list..). 
  • Options
    We can have pop at people breaking into a stadium , but didn't our fans do that recently, and back in the day people used to stand on orange boxes to get a view of the game?

Not defending scummy bottle chucking or racist stuff by the way , but we do seem to like a punch up in this country!
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

You might need to travel a bit more....
    Seriously though, where else has the same shenanigans as you get in UK city centres at the weekend?
  • Options
    Should put the alcohol age up to 25, would probably make no difference though!
  • Options
    1905 said:
    JohnBoyUK said:
    Croydon said:
    it isnt just booze though is it?  no doubt a large number were coked up to the eyeballs too.

Might as well legalise coke now and tax it.   The country is awash with the stuff and I can only presume that most of customs enforcement are on the payroll.   Whole sections of society are bang on it and most others turning a blind eye to it.  The food in my pub last night must have been rank given the queue for the cubicle prior to kick off and at half time.  Controversial I know - but the current model isnt working.  
    100% this.
    There are adults holding down responsible jobs with kids doing it openly in our village.
    As for cannabis, the Guards are fighting a losing battle here.

It isn’t just alcohol.
    Agree, it seems to be the trendy thing to do now. I get looked at for not doing it!
    Had many a row about it, when someone gets offended by me telling them what I think!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

No. He's too pissed to notice. :-)
  • Options
    Think there is a big difference between football disorder and even the fringes of it, compared to the ‘rent a mob’ types who turn up at any big gathering in London with the aim of causing havoc. The same ones at protests, at the London riots etc. This weekend it was Wembley. Add in all those on a big jolly and you get what we saw yesterday.

I know Carter said he has not seen much but Maidstone was chaos last night from videos I’ve seen, police attacked, fighting, damaging property etc. I’m sure that happened in a lot of major towns and cities.

The change for me compared to say earlier tournaments 10-15 years ago is the general drunken yob behaviour of the non-football crowd who attach themselves to the occasion now, in lots of town centres. The amount of videos I’ve seen over the last two games of women off their nut, boobs out, getting groped by a large toxic crowd. Or jumping on vehicles etc. Has that always happened? The fighting, not football aggro, but just general fighting, the destruction of property, attacking the police, throwing bottles into crowds etc.

I just don’t remember those scenes at home in 2002/4/6/10 and I was out and about for them all. I think there has definitely been a notable change/deterioration in behaviour in recent times. Someone described it well above, “London had a nasty undercurrent” and you could feel it in many places yesterday and it was not just the usual football crowd.

Coming into Wembley Park about 5pm, there were thousands streaming the other way, most drugged/drunk out of thier senses.

Selfish anti-social behaviour is all over the place and usually not a good idea to challenge it. If parents don't give a f*** then their kids won't.
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Think there is a big difference between football disorder and even the fringes of it, compared to the ‘rent a mob’ types who turn up at any big gathering in London with the aim of causing havoc. The same ones at protests, at the London riots etc. This weekend it was Wembley. Add in all those on a big jolly and you get what we saw yesterday.

I know Carter said he has not seen much but Maidstone was chaos last night from videos I’ve seen, police attacked, fighting, damaging property etc. I’m sure that happened in a lot of major towns and cities.

The change for me compared to say earlier tournaments 10-15 years ago is the general drunken yob behaviour of the non-football crowd who attach themselves to the occasion now, in lots of town centres. The amount of videos I’ve seen over the last two games of women off their nut, boobs out, getting groped by a large toxic crowd. Or jumping on vehicles etc. Has that always happened? The fighting, not football aggro, but just general fighting, the destruction of property, attacking the police, throwing bottles into crowds etc.

I just don’t remember those scenes at home in 2002/4/6/10 and I was out and about for them all. I think there has definitely been a notable change/deterioration in behaviour in recent times. Someone described it well above, “London had a nasty undercurrent” and you could feel it in many places yesterday and it was not just the usual football crowd.

Coming into Wembley Park about 5pm, there were thousands streaming the other way, most drugged/drunk out of thier senses.

Really weird dynamic yesterday at Wembley as you had football fans with tickets, mixed with loads of northern lads who came to 'jibe' their way into the ground. Especially, after the success of it on Wednesday. Alongside, that you had a notting hill carnival crowd who wanted to join in for social media lobbing bottles and glasses. Wembley Park was really weird place. It was incredible how many young teenage girls which were in the area for a football match. 

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

Seriously though, where else has the same shenanigans as you get in UK city centres at the weekend?
    I edited my original answer as thought it was a bit condescending....

Wherever I have seen large groups of young people that have had a beer. New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Turin, Lisbon, Paris, Moscow, St Petersburg, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Munich, Berlin etc. etc (plus of course Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cardif, Dublin etc etc). Admittedly different atmospheres in each, with different policing approaches, but lets not think that in every major city around the world the police put their feet up on a Friday night because everyone is enjoying a cafe culture and quietly and peacefully making their way home. Alcohol doesn't just affect English people...
  • Options
    edited July 2021

Really weird dynamic yesterday at Wembley as you had football fans with tickets, mixed with loads of northern lads who came to 'jibe' their way into the ground. Especially, after the success of it on Wednesday. Alongside, that you had a notting hill carnival crowd who wanted to join in for social media lobbing bottles and glasses. Wembley Park was really weird place. It was incredible how many young teenage girls which were in the area for a football match. 

Good summary. I’ve never felt an atmosphere with an undercurrent that generally drunken/toxic and I was in Marseille in 2016 . Was like walking into the aftermath of a disaster up Wembley way. Smashed glass everywhere, smoke everywhere from flares, an uneasy quiet at times as more dispersed. Really unique.

Tbf I usually moan that Wembley is too sterile. But one extreme to the other. 

It was a world part from the Germany game which was a good old fashioned football crowd with a quality atmosphere.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

• Options
    se9addick said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

I edited my original answer as thought it was a bit condescending....

Wherever I have seen large groups of young people that have had a beer. New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Turin, Lisbon, Paris, Moscow, St Petersburg, Helsinki, Copenhagen, Munich, Berlin etc. etc (plus of course Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cardif, Dublin etc etc). Admittedly different atmospheres in each, with different policing approaches, but lets not think that in every major city around the world the police put their feet up on a Friday night because everyone is enjoying a cafe culture and quietly and peacefully making their way home. Alcohol doesn't just affect English people...
    No, but that wasn’t what was being said. I’ve been to most of those places (except Turin & St Petersburg) and have honestly never seen the sort of carnage we so commonly see in the UK at the weekend. In the case of Helsinki it’s a shame, might liven the place up a bit!
  • Options
    English people, SOME English people, have been getting drunk and acting up for hundreds of years.  We're famous for it.

Wellington called his army the "scum of the earth".  European mothers threatened their misbehaving children that they would fetch an English soldier to sort them out if they didn't behave so bad was the behaviour of some of that "thin red line of heroes".

SOME English people get drunk and act up every weekend in towns and cities up and down the country.

And there are even people in other countries who aren't English who get pissed and act up.

Football just gives them a focus for their getting pissed and acting up and means the cameras are there.

It's nothing to do with discipline in schools, bringing back the birch, PC/Woke, the decline of empire, Brexit, Covid19, video games or any other popular excuse.

Hooligans (the original 1890s ones), razor gangs, teddy boys, mods and rockers, skinheads, bootboys, casuals, there is a long list of delinquent youth groups who's problems were caused by too much cinema or TV or stopping conscription or the cane or whatever the supposed demons were then.

There's just a minority, and it is a minority, of people who like getting pissed and acting up.  Is there a problem with the way the English (and the British) view and deal with alcohol?  Yes, there is IMHO but it's nothing to do with football or some national decline in standards. We've been piss head idiots (some of us) for centuries. 
     Contradiction alert!
  • Options
    In the USA it's illegal to drink in public...... out in the open while walking around streets and really only allowed in pubs restaurants and bars....That might be something to consider....and yes I know the USA has ridiculous gun laws 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:
    Croydon said:

Meat wagons are parked outside kebab shops because of people fighting due to hunger? You know exactly what I meant.
    I disagree, I travel around a bit and do NOT see police vehicles in city centres to the extent you mention.
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    I'm sure "every country has them" but I feel like we have more than most. 
    A lot more. So much so that it's not even close. 

People can point to Italians and the Ultras but a couple of rabid supporters compared to our 5000+ last night causing carnage. 
  • Options
    ct_addick said:
    In the USA it's illegal to drink in public...... out in the open while walking around streets and really only allowed in pubs restaurants and bars....That might be something to consider....and yes I know the USA has ridiculous gun laws 
    Not on the Las Vegas strip! 
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    Everything about yesterday was the perfect storm to encourage ‘carnage’ to happen.

- England’s first major final in many of our lives
    - Game being played at Wembley
    - People have been locked indoors for a lot of the last year and a half

Considering what we’ve seen happen in the past after Round of 16 games, QFs etc, there was no way this was going to be a teddy bear’s picnic for the big one

Does anyone else think the presence of mobile phones influences things a lot more now?

- People performing stunts to get their viral moment
    - Or, did this always happen - but it just feels like it’s worse now simply because it’s documented more?

Admittedly, I do love the idea of a big occasion where you get hundreds of thousands of people out and about, and the odd bit of silliness for a chuckle. 

The blatant criminal behaviour though I suspect is fuelled by the fact that people feel a sense of diminished responsibility when in an enormous group.

I actually predict that we’ll see a bit less of this in the next 1-2 major tournaments on the basis that being in a Quarter Final or Semi Final won’t feel as novel an occasion for some people like it might have done in recent years.
  • Options
    Gave a mate of mine a ticket who’s a city fan from Manchester. Told me he knew of loads of Manchester lads coming down to jib in
  • Options
    English people, SOME English people, have been getting drunk and acting up for hundreds of years.  We're famous for it.

Wellington called his army the "scum of the earth".  European mothers threatened their misbehaving children that they would fetch an English soldier to sort them out if they didn't behave so bad was the behaviour of some of that "thin red line of heroes".

SOME English people get drunk and act up every weekend in towns and cities up and down the country.

And there are even people in other countries who aren't English who get pissed and act up.

Football just gives them a focus for their getting pissed and acting up and means the cameras are there.

It's nothing to do with discipline in schools, bringing back the birch, PC/Woke, the decline of empire, Brexit, Covid19, video games or any other popular excuse.

Hooligans (the original 1890s ones), razor gangs, teddy boys, mods and rockers, skinheads, bootboys, casuals, there is a long list of delinquent youth groups who's problems were caused by too much cinema or TV or stopping conscription or the cane or whatever the supposed demons were then.

There's just a minority, and it is a minority, of people who like getting pissed and acting up.  Is there a problem with the way the English (and the British) view and deal with alcohol?  Yes, there is IMHO but it's nothing to do with football or some national decline in standards. We've been piss head idiots (some of us) for centuries. 
     Contradiction alert!
    No contradition @carly burn  At the time those groups bad behaviour was blamed, falsely, on those things just as today it's video games etc etc.
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    Gave a mate of mine a ticket who’s a city fan from Manchester. Told me he knew of loads of Manchester lads coming down to jib in
    What does ‘jib in’ mean?
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    What does ‘jib in’ mean?
    bunk in as well would have said in the old days.

Gain entry without paying or having a ticket, often by force.

Or as I call it blagging : - )
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    What does ‘jib in’ mean?
    I’m glad I’m not the only one.
    Genuinely never heard this expression before.
    It used to be ‘bunking in’ in my day (not that I ever did it you understand).
  • Options
    J BLOCK said:
    As the media are so London centric, you do not hear these things but apparently it is common at every United game they play. Spoke to a bloke on the tube who was a united fan who jibed and apparently it's common practice. Happens at every cup final match at Wembley when Liverpool, city, united play but does not get the attention as not England. Easily 80k full yesterday.