Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Rumours Rumours - Summer 2021 edition (Deadline Day from p814)

Comments

• Swisdom said:
    The amount of posts/tweets I have seen saying Sandgaard/Adkins out is just ridiculous.

A man with no former association to Charlton has saved us from extinction and gone on to spend the most on transfer fees in the division and still it isn't enough because we aren't shelling out over 10K per week for a league one player.

We really do risk coming across as an entitled dummy spitting group if we start trying to push TS out after a bad start to the season (4 games into the league season btw).

We had huge support from the footballing world when protesting against awful owners, however we risk looking like united/arsenal fans when screaming we want people out just because we have lost a few games.
    As a word of warning @Cover@Covered_End_Lad I used the term "entitlement" yesterday on Twitter in reference to a section of fans and have been mauled for it.  It seems this term is gripping people's shit!

Apparently I am trying to force people to act in a certain way when referencing "entitlement" and, as a sponsor, should know better.

In reality I think we all agree it hasn't been pretty thus far and hasn't been good enough - but I also believe, rightly or wrongly, it will get better.  

as I've said many times "It's never been easy being a Charlton fan - but we all still do it don't we  :|
    I doubt quite so many would be doing it in League 2
  • Redrobo said:
    Does anyone know where I can find the rumours thread?
    ITTV?
  • I’m fine with the “Europe in 5 years” line, they all come in and say long term they plan on taking over the world.

This is the bit that pissed me off a bit:

• I’m fine with the “Europe in 5 years” line, they all come in and say long term they plan on taking over the world.

This is the bit that pissed me off a bit:

He meant 'We are going to BLOW OUT of the division'
  • Nope not much going on here!
  • Addick_8 said:
    A lot of you could do with letting the “PL and Europe in 5 years” statement go. It was said once. Not a constant repeat. It was said with excitement after a miracle swoop to clear ESI out of our club. 

I’m sure you’ve all said an off the cuff comment once or twice, and doubt that people are still criticising you with it a year later. Understood that recruitment hasn’t been good enough overall in this window, but to constantly be beating Sandgaard down because of one comment, at a time when we were all celebrating as if we’d won the league, is ridiculous. 
    Why ? I am ged up with being misled and then told what was said was not meant. 

If you don't mean it don't f***ing say it . What is wrong with the truth.  
    Hanging onto every word someone says is not healthy. The hysteria online to 1/2 statements is incredible.

I agree to an extent and if it was only Thomas's 'five years to the PL and 7 years for European football' then most would have taken that with a pinch of salt and taken it as the bluster it almost certainly was.

However, later, at the end of the season (?) he then said we'd be 'blowing through' League One next season and then Nigel added to it by saying, when watching Hull lift the trophy, 'that will be us next year'. If you are going to say these things then it will come back to haunt you.

For what it's worth I actually think Nigel thought that would be the case. When joining us he said he'd turned down numerous other jobs, he'd left Hull as he couldn't agree a transfer policy going forward with the owners and I don't think for one minute he came to us thinking we'd be in the situation we currently are. Something has definitely changed, in my opinion. 
    The missing Pope money, maybe
  • Sponsored links:

• Not now because the window hasn’t closed yet and maybe, just maybe things might look different this time next week but at some point perhaps next week, if I was Thomas I would be having a zoom call with Adkins, Gallen, Roddy and Mumford and start asking for explanations as to what’s going wrong, because going wrong they are. The list to me looks like recruitment, performances and investment. If there are not questions asked I’d like to ask the question as to why. 
  • I am not saying everything is perfect it is obvious it is not but I cannot believe some of the comments on here

We were not good on Saturday but we weren’t terrible either thought Wigan looked a better side than Sheff Weds 

Of the new signings Kirk showed flashes of ability and think he will be a good signing and Dobson played well in spells let them settle in before we write them off

As for Thomas I am convinced he is a good owner he has spent a considerable amount of money including transfer fees and seems engaged in the club which is great. I hope he is not too disappointed by all the negativity on this forum 

There will be more signings everyone at the club is saying that .Let’s give them time and see how things are going at Christmas not go into meltdown in August 

COYR

The statements TS made are a convenient stick to beat him with, and are the result of the window being the complete opposite of what was expected and results and performances being so dire.
    Start winning games and we might get to a point where we all have a wry smile at the statements and put them down to post takeover hubris.
    Sadly at the moment things look bleak and patience is wearing thin.
     I think Tommy may also be paying the price of years of neglect by his predecessors, as lot of us , wrongly perhaps, expected overnight change and an end to struggle.
    This is where the statements were perhaps I'll judged
  • I am not saying everything is perfect it is obvious it is not but I cannot believe some of the comments on here

We were not good on Saturday but we weren’t terrible either thought Wigan looked a better side than Sheff Weds 

Of the new signings Kirk showed flashes of ability and think he will be a good signing and Dobson played well in spells let them settle in before we write them off

As for Thomas I am convinced he is a good owner he has spent a considerable amount of money including transfer fees and seems engaged in the club which is great. I hope he is not too disappointed by all the negativity on this forum 

There will be more signings everyone at the club is saying that .Let’s give them time and see how things are going at Christmas not go into meltdown in August 

COYR

to be fair they have been saying that for weeks, months now. I thought we were terrible on Saturday. Kirk will be a good signing, the jury is definitely out on Dobson. We lack quality. Five/six new signings need to be first teamers not back up to the current lot. 
  • I totally get the disappointment in the lack of signings, I don't think anyone on here was impressed with the signings of Clare and Dobson and we probably thought that they would be good squad players and Dobson even be one for the future. But there have been plus points too, the resigning of Famewo, the permanent signings of Stockley and Kirk, there was also a thread about how we have signed a relegation goalkeeper, that seems to have disappeared since Saturday. 
    Did Charlton get caught sleeping with the long term injuries ? probably ! Forster Caskey won't be seen till Christmas, Gilbey, if he resumes training this month is at least another month away from full fitness, the left back position should have been filled as we have no natural left footer there. We also have not filled the striking position, Ronnie Schwartz being only a goal in front of Polish Pete as a successful signing.
    Do I think they will plug those gaps, yes ! if they don't, Saandgard will find that for a lack of short term investment, he will continue to lose money at an alarming rate, he needs this club out of this division as much as we do. 

COYR

So they have but it's getting harder and harder to keep up with which statements coming out of the club we're supposed to believe 
  • Sponsored links:

• Wow, real Sandgaard out thing going on over there. Not sure how much support it has. Could just be a few loud voices. 
  • The general mood is much worse than August 2015, although we were unbeaten in the first 4.  It can't be as bad as that.....

..... can it? 
  • The amount of posts/tweets I have seen saying Sandgaard/Adkins out is just ridiculous.

A man with no former association to Charlton has saved us from extinction and gone on to spend the most on transfer fees in the division and still it isn't enough because we aren't shelling out over 10K per week for a league one player.

We really do risk coming across as an entitled dummy spitting group if we start trying to push TS out after a bad start to the season (4 games into the league season btw).

We had huge support from the footballing world when protesting against awful owners, however we risk looking like united/arsenal fans when screaming we want people out just because we have lost a few games.

Agree with many of your points CEL.
    The only Cafc related social media platform I'm on is Charlton Life. TBH that is enough !

I haven't seen anyone say Thomas Sandgaard out but I was not alone, in believing that his hyperbole in his statement, "we will blow League 1 out of the water"  would not only put pressure on Nigel Adkins but Gallen, Roddy and anyone else involved in the process of getting players in to a League 1 club.

If Charlton were interested in Jordan Cousins ( I'm led to believe they were) JC's agent would discuss his wage demand and signing on fees with Wigan and Cafc. This wasn't an auction. Wigan were so far ahead of Charlton budget that only Ipswich in League 1 could have competed for a player who had enjoyed championship wages for a number of years. A player who can play central midfield, holding midfielder and CB and in League 1 look class while doing it.
    JC was never top class but in League 1 it will be a stroll in the park.

Nigel Adkins out is an occupational hazard and as Cafc are 21st in League 1, and with 40 year old virgins more likely to score I'm not surprised, even though personally I would prefer to see him prove he's a good coach and set the team up to at least have 6 or so shots on target in League 1. Make a decision after 12 games if the current inaction continues. Charlton have been a joke for too long, even Palace and Millwall fans i know are feeling sorry for me ! 

Having no shots or 1 shots on target in League 1 at home is shocking and it will bring opprobrium upon the decent guy that is Nigel. The buck always stops with the manager or head coach.

Didn't Airman say the home end was 40% down for the Wigan game compared to Sheff Wed Sky game. Losing fans/critics/supporters/  at that rate will see less people in the stadium than we have sold Season tickets ! Just like Gym membership people will pick and chose and hardly turn up.

Genuinely had to google what that meant.
  • It basically looks like the club and team are this season treading water. Perhaps with a new owner needing to sort out ten years of mis management and put into place the building blocks of success going forward we shouldn’t be either too surprised or disappointed. I just wish that realism had been transmitted to the fans. I think to a man (and woman) this would have been embraced and supported. Instead we’re seeing to consequences of the nonsense. Massive own goal. I’m convinced we’ll be ok but it’s the long haul not the express route we were sold. 
  • The the thing is people saying he said it once through over exuberance are wrong the Prem & European football guff was said wherever he could find to say it… Sky Sports, TalkSPORT, The Athletic just some of them and he said at least twice we’ll blow through the league.

I don’t particularly like his cringe American, look at me ways but he’s a good man, who’s done some great things so far but who now needs to either get better at his job or get somebody in as CEO who can.

I’m pretty sure he doesn’t make the hyperbolic statements to the stock exchange as it has a material impact … and he’s now finding out it’s the same but different with football fans when you talk a load of crap.

….and this disaster of a summer will now cost him another £10m next year, let’s hope TS is a quick learner 

Come on Tommy, there’s still time to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat! Ronaldo is available 
  • Swisdom said:
    The amount of posts/tweets I have seen saying Sandgaard/Adkins out is just ridiculous.

As a word of warning @Cover@Covered_End_Lad I used the term "entitlement" yesterday on Twitter in reference to a section of fans and have been mauled for it.  It seems this term is gripping people's shit!

Apparently I am trying to force people to act in a certain way when referencing "entitlement" and, as a sponsor, should know better.

In reality I think we all agree it hasn't been pretty thus far and hasn't been good enough - but I also believe, rightly or wrongly, it will get better.  

as I've said many times "It's never been easy being a Charlton fan - but we all still do it don't we  :|
    To be fair I can see you meant no harm but honestly read the room a bit better.

To put a comment  out telling clearly frustrated & angry fans to calm down and stop being entitled was a dumb thing to do… especially given your a club sponsor and would been seen to be having ‘your feet under the table’ or defending your mates.

entitled is an emotional word so I’m afraid I’m not surprised you took a battering. It didn’t read well.

We live and we learn 👍🏼
  • We know what he said and we know where we are do we have to rehash the story every other day?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!